Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Class Favorites

Take with these with a grain of salt as it is pretty difficult to find information on teams in the off season. Any insight is appreciated

6A favorites: Cathedral

Can win it all: Ben Davis, Carmel, CG, Westfield, Warren Central

Longshots: HSE

5A favorites: Decatur Central, Merrillville

Can win it all: Michigan City, Valpo, FW Dwenger, FW Snider

Longshots: Harrison WL

4A favorites: Roncalli

Can win it all: Mount Vernon, East Central, Evansville Memorial, Leo

Longshots: Kokomo, Brebeuf, Northridge, New Pal, New Prairie, Lowell

3A favorites: Chatard

Can win it all: West Lafayette, Mishawaka Marian, Lawrenceburg

Longshots: Western Boone, Danville, Tri-West

2A favorites: Andrean

Can win it all: Evansville Mater Dei, Eastside, Fort Wayne Luers, Eastbrook

Longshots: LCC, Indy Scecina, Linton-Stockton

1A favorites: Adams Central, Indy Lutheran

Can win it all: Pioneer, Park Tudor, Covenant Christian

Longshots: North Judson, Churubusco, Parke Heritage

Edited by Bears62
  • Like 4

Idk much about Lawrenceburg but I know they graduated some really crucial pieces 

Yoon was like a 4 year QB who did it all and then there was the all American LT/DE going to Notre dame

im sure plenty of others too but those 2 alone were a major reason they have been doing so well the last few seasons 

6A co favorites:  Cathedral/Center Grove

Far too many people doubting the two time defending champs.

Talent advantage:  Cathedral

Coaching Advantage:  Center Grove

Yeah, I said it…

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

6A co favorites:  Cathedral/Center Grove

Far too many people doubting the two time defending champs.

Talent advantage:  Cathedral

Coaching Advantage:  Center Grove

Yeah, I said it…

Center Grove = Reloading Machine as long as Eric Moore is at the helm. Passion equates to success. 

But sometimes a team can go through a trial period. Although the Trojans are 28-0 over the last two seasons, they lost 16 games in the three seasons prior to that. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Center Grove = Reloading Machine as long as Eric Moore is at the helm. Passion equates to success. 

But sometimes a team can go through a trial period. Although the Trojans are 28-0 over the last two seasons, they lost 16 games in the three seasons prior to that. 

That 28-0 (along with other things) has also made them the most desirable transfer destination in the state.

They won’t be on par with the past two seasons, but they’ll be right there at the end.

12 hours ago, Bears62 said:

Take with these with a grain of salt as it is pretty difficult to find information on teams in the off season. Any insight is appreciated

HSE will be the team to beat this year in the HCC. Westfield will be down a bit.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Bold.

Outside looking in here. Why is that bold? If HSE is up or level from last year and Westfield is a bit down, couldn't there be some truth to Indiana Fan's statement?

49 minutes ago, BTF said:

Outside looking in here. Why is that bold? If HSE is up or level from last year and Westfield is a bit down, couldn't there be some truth to Indiana Fan's statement?

Some truth, sure.  But not with the high level of confidence he displayed.

Westfield and Brownsburg aren’t going anywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BTF said:

Those three seasons included two trips to the final four and one state runner-up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Some truth, sure.  But not with the high level of confidence he displayed.

Westfield and Brownsburg aren’t going anywhere.

I don’t think they are going anywhere. But I do think HSE will join them and be the top team this year in that conference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Idk much about Lawrenceburg but I know they graduated some really crucial pieces 

Yoon was like a 4 year QB who did it all and then there was the all American LT/DE going to Notre dame

im sure plenty of others too but those 2 alone were a major reason they have been doing so well the last few seasons 

I would put GS as an early favorite to come out of the South in 3A. Lost a some great players but have a lot of very good players returning. 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Bears62 said:

You are correct, Churubusco would be a longshot to win 1A beacuse they're in 2A now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, tango said:

I would put GS as an early favorite to come out of the South in 3A. Lost a some great players but have a lot of very good players returning. 

Maybe.  Hopefully. 

I’m just interested to see how GS’s schedule plays out…and then how that translates to playoffs.

it’s fair to assume 2022 Gibson Southern will not be nearly as good as last year….schedule is still tough with keeping New Albany and South Warren.  Southridge too as technically an out of conference game.  The only change is Terra Haute South week 1 instead of Columbus North. 

so getting through that will be interesting….and then you look at the sectional and it’s…well…more favorable than in previous years and without a doubt nobody is playing as tough of a schedule outside of maybe Vincennes in the SIAC gauntlet all year…..so we will see how that plays out.

I think 8-1 is possible and i think 6-3 or even 5-4 is possible.  There is just so much that is going to change.  

1 hour ago, CoachVeatch said:

You are correct, Churubusco would be a longshot to win 1A beacuse they're in 2A now.

This week. 🙂

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, Bears62 said:

I have NJ as the favorite in their sectional. Pioneer should challenge them, but they've lost a ton of talent in the past few years. The X-factor is Pioneer coach Adam Berry. Can he do the same thing that previous coach Mike Johnson did and continue to reload, even in years when they lacked amazing athletes? Will he return to the bread and butter of the Wing-T, making sure that his team is a machine running a small but effective playbook? Or will he do something different and continue to succeed? Or was Pioneer's success in the Johnson days mostly due to the weaker MWC conference?

In 6A probably a toss-up between Cathedral and Center Grove, or at least at this point?  Irish QB Danny O'Neil crushed it in local workouts this spring, and as a result has been invited to camps at Alabama and Georgia in early June.   He already took official visits to Notre Dame and Ohio State in April.  This receiving mate Jaron Tibbs just received offer from Iowa last week with more to come.  That duo could be ridiculously stupid this year especially with RB Carson Johnson returning and stud tight end @ 6'3" and 230 lbs with several D1 offers.  While we did lose a lot on both lines, the explosive offense combinations might not make that matter too much this year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AG said:

I have NJ as the favorite in their sectional. Pioneer should challenge them, but they've lost a ton of talent in the past few years. The X-factor is Pioneer coach Adam Berry. Can he do the same thing that previous coach Mike Johnson did and continue to reload, even in years when they lacked amazing athletes? Will he return to the bread and butter of the Wing-T, making sure that his team is a machine running a small but effective playbook? Or will he do something different and continue to succeed? Or was Pioneer's success in the Johnson days mostly due to the weaker MWC conference?

I could be wrong on this, but I think a lot of Pioneer's strength was independent of the MWC strength.  There are certainly some conferences where the strength of the conference determines the strength of a particular team or teams from that conference, but I think there are some programs that regardless of the strength of the conference have done well and Pioneer is one of those.  I've pointed out before, but if you look at the last decade and a half of football, LCC and Pioneer have been the predominant enders of each others seasons.  In almost all of those meetings, even though they came early in post-season, they were the equivalent of semi-state or state matchups ... the exceptions were probably 2017 and 2018 where Pioneer just basically mauled LCC en route to LOS. 

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

I could be wrong on this, but I think a lot of Pioneer's strength was independent of the MWC strength.  There are certainly some conferences where the strength of the conference determines the strength of a particular team or teams from that conference, but I think there are some programs that regardless of the strength of the conference have done well and Pioneer is one of those.  I've pointed out before, but if you look at the last decade and a half of football, LCC and Pioneer have been the predominant enders of each others seasons.  In almost all of those meetings, even though they came early in post-season, they were the equivalent of semi-state or state matchups ... the exceptions were probably 2017 and 2018 where Pioneer just basically mauled LCC en route to LOS. 

I agree with you actually. I brought it up because I've been told this before by non-Pioneer fans. The only seasons that I've questioned whether Pioneer was actually really good or not were the 2010-2012 seasons, in which Pioneer was smashed by LCC all three seasons after cruising through their MWC schedule.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:57 AM, temptation said:

That 28-0 (along with other things) has also made them the most desirable transfer destination in the state.

They won’t be on par with the past two seasons, but they’ll be right there at the end.

I wouldn’t say most desirable because merrillville is getting. More every year. But they are both major hot beds 

1 hour ago, Piratefan101 said:

I wouldn’t say most desirable because merrillville is getting. More every year. But they are both major hot beds 

Time to put up or shut up then.  No excuse for them to not be at Lucas Oil annually now that they are 5A.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, BTF said:

that statement is a tad misleading.  The season prior to the first undefeated season (2019), a very young CG team started the season off 1-4 playing a monster opening 4 games.  They went all the way to the state championship game losing by 3 points to Carmel.  3 State finals in a row.

2018 Trojans go 9-4.  Lose 3 of their first 5 games (who opens with tougher games than CG?) and advance to the semi-state losing by a TD in a close slobberknocker with Warren Central.  The same WC team that went undefeated and beat Carmel by 3 TD's the following game in the state finals.

Most teams would sell almost everything but their souls to have a "trial" period of going to a state final and semi-state.  Tough grading curve for CG.  Yes, they lost 10 games those 2 seasons....but were among the states best in 6A at the end of those seasons.