Jump to content
The Gridiron Digest

Recommended Posts

Merrillville has the most dynamic offensive player in Marshall and defensive player in Roche, but hard to replace a tough QB and line destroyer. The sectional is an easy one, but I cannot see them walking over Valpo or MC like last season, let alone who will come from Ft. Wayne, no disrespect to the NLC rep, but don't see them on the same level as the top 3 DAC schools or the top Ft. Wayne 5A schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 6:06 AM, Grover said:

Delete

LOL at the negative feedback I got on this post.  I typed that Warren Central should be getting some love.  Then I reread the original and saw they were listed so I edited my comment to ask for it to be deleted.  I've said some stuff here worthy of negative feedback but this wasn't one of them.  😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

Merrillville has the most dynamic offensive player in Marshall and defensive player in Roche, but hard to replace a tough QB and line destroyer. The sectional is an easy one, but I cannot see them walking over Valpo or MC like last season, let alone who will come from Ft. Wayne, no disrespect to the NLC rep, but don't see them on the same level as the top 3 DAC schools or the top Ft. Wayne 5A schools.

They’ve got some holes to plug but I’d say they’re still the definite team to beat in 5A as of now. I agree I doubt they’ll completely steamroll the DAC like they did last year, but they’re still undoubtedly the top dogs. Valpo and especially City lost a lot of good players. The QB the Ville has this year is supposedly pretty good and they’ve replenished with more stud transfers. Anything less than a trip to LOS this year  will have to be considered a disappointment imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, Bears62 said:

Take with these with a grain of salt as it is pretty difficult to find information on teams in the off season. Any insight is appreciated

6A favorites: Cathedral

Can win it all: Ben Davis, Carmel, CG, Westfield, Warren Central

Longshots: HSE

5A favorites: Decatur Central, Merrillville

Can win it all: Michigan City, Valpo, FW Dwenger, FW Snider

Longshots: Harrison WL

4A favorites: Roncalli

Can win it all: Mount Vernon, East Central, Evansville Memorial, Leo

Longshots: Kokomo, Brebeuf, Northridge, New Pal, New Prairie, Lowell

3A favorites: Chatard

Can win it all: West Lafayette, Mishawaka Marian, Lawrenceburg

Longshots: Western Boone, Danville, Tri-West

2A favorites: Andrean

Can win it all: Evansville Mater Dei, Eastside, Fort Wayne Luers, Eastbrook

Longshots: LCC, Indy Scecina, Linton-Stockton

1A favorites: Adams Central, Indy Lutheran

Can win it all: Pioneer, Park Tudor, Covenant Christian

Longshots: North Judson, Churubusco, Parke Heritage

Not sure Cathedral is THE favorite but definitely up there. Loaded at the skill positions but do have to replace the entire offensive line and 8-9 defensive starters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Not sure Cathedral is THE favorite but definitely up there. Loaded at the skill positions but do have to replace the entire offensive line and 8-9 defensive starters. 

I wouldn't worry too much about a talent deficit at CHS when 50 universities are lined up at the door to get in , including 9 BT schools and ND, to visit with their athletes.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, HHF said:

I wouldn't worry too much about a talent deficit at CHS when 50 universities are lined up at the door to get in , including 9 BT schools and ND, to visit with their athletes.  

Experience matters.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, HHF said:

I wouldn't worry too much about a talent deficit at CHS when 50 universities are lined up at the door to get in , including 9 BT schools and ND, to visit with their athletes.  

Not questioning their talent, they have plenty. But unlike the last two years, they’re replacing almost 20 multi-year starters. That’s not always easy especially playing up two classes.

Edited by Footballking16
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Not questioning their talent, they have plenty. But unlike the last two years, they’re replacing almost 20 multi-year starters. That’s not always easy especially playing up two classes.

Man we are agreeing way too much lately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Not sure Cathedral is THE favorite but definitely up there. Loaded at the skill positions but do have to replace the entire offensive line and 8-9 defensive starters. 

Only returning starter on defense is 4 Star DT Kendrick Gilbert. Kyuss Garrett played some key snaps, but he prob couldn't be called a starter at cornerback. 
 

That said, the incoming batch of linebackers is pretty nasty. Weingart, Kirsch, Bragg, McCormick. And fhe DL w Gilbert and Patrick Kendall will be a sick front 7. Look for some talented sophomores from the undefeated team last year to push for playing time (I.e. Aidan Hughes). 
 

My biggest question is the replacing the entire O-line. I think this year's line will be bigger than last years with WNeale, BBeasley, and Eli Albers. However, they'll need to get battled tested in a hurry. A 1 loss JV campaign last year to Cincy St. X is a good start, but some early season Ws will help them gel. The thunder and lightning attack of Carson Johnson and Hosia Smith will be fun to watch with our aerial game weapons (Tibbs, Wooten, Ayres, Bridges, etc). Need to find a good slot to replace the virtually irreplaceable Michael Page as well. 
 

Our schedule lightens up quite a bit with Cincy GCL playoff requirements shifting and vacating our schedule. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Only returning starter on defense is 4 Star DT Kendrick Gilbert. Kyuss Garrett played some key snaps, but he prob couldn't be called a starter at cornerback. 
 

That said, the incoming batch of linebackers is pretty nasty. Weingart, Kirsch, Bragg, McCormick. And fhe DL w Gilbert and Patrick Kendall will be a sick front 7. Look for some talented sophomores from the undefeated team last year to push for playing time (I.e. Aidan Hughes). 
 

My biggest question is the replacing the entire O-line. I think this year's line will be bigger than last years with WNeale, BBeasley, and Eli Albers. However, they'll need to get battled tested in a hurry. A 1 loss JV campaign last year to Cincy St. X is a good start, but some early season Ws will help them gel. The thunder and lightning attack of Carson Johnson and Hosia Smith will be fun to watch with our aerial game weapons (Tibbs, Wooten, Ayres, Bridges, etc). Need to find a good slot to replace the virtually irreplaceable Michael Page as well. 
 

Our schedule lightens up quite a bit with Cincy GCL playoff requirements shifting and vacating our schedule. 

Saw where Cathedral is still missing a week 5 opponent. Any news on who they have lined up for this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Our schedule lightens up quite a bit with Cincy GCL playoff requirements shifting and vacating our schedule.

What is the story on this? Ohio letting more teams in the playoffs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 8:10 AM, Indiana Fan said:

Saw where Cathedral is still missing a week 5 opponent. Any news on who they have lined up for this?

Schedule is still open for that game, or at least per MaxPreps.  I assume it will be a home game.  Irish only have two home games on schedule for next year....so all the bickering about Arlington will be kept to a minimum!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Schedule is still open for that game, or at least per MaxPreps.  I assume it will be a home game.  Irish only have two home games on schedule for next year....so all the bickering about Arlington will be kept to a minimum!

Center Grove-Cathedral Semi-State part deaux for Semi-State at Arlington in the snow is the game this board deserves. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Center Grove-Cathedral Semi-State part deaux for Semi-State at Arlington in the snow is the game this board deserves. 

That would be a disgrace to that great game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/11/2022 at 8:24 AM, Footballking16 said:

What is the story on this? Ohio letting more teams in the playoffs?

Ohio did increase I believe. It's went from 8 to 12 to 16 per region for qualifying as of late. Not sure if they are expanding again or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 9:33 AM, BTF said:

Center Grove = Reloading Machine as long as Eric Moore is at the helm. Passion equates to success. 

But sometimes a team can go through a trial period. Although the Trojans are 28-0 over the last two seasons, they lost 16 games in the three seasons prior to that. 

Biggest plus about Center Grove going 28-0 and 2 straight State Championships but losing a lot of talent to graduation. Reps lots of young players that will start or have significant playing time this year have had lots of reps playing that deep into those 2 years. Many of them had to go against those great players lost to graduation in practice.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:57 AM, temptation said:

That 28-0 (along with other things) has also made them the most desirable transfer destination in the state.

They won’t be on par with the past two seasons, but they’ll be right there at the end.

Yes should make for an interesting year in the South bracket. Trojans 28-0 the last 2 years, and the Irish 27-2 over the last 2 years (both losses to Center Grove in tight close games). Both teams have to rebuild defensively as some key players have graduated. Irish bring back a QB that had an impressive Soph season 2956 passing 33 TD's 2 Int's, a impressive WR with 1174 yds and 11 TD's, as well as a solid TE Offensively. Trojans bring back a very fast (understatement) RB with 1,003 yds  and 13 TD's and another RB with 631 yds and 10 TD's, but will breaking in a new QB to replace a very talented QB lost to graduation.

Both have a terrific coaching staff and plenty of talent. They will definitely need players to step in and fill the voids lost to graduation, but will be very good. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2022 at 8:37 PM, HHF said:

I wouldn't worry too much about a talent deficit at CHS when 50 universities are lined up at the door to get in , including 9 BT schools and ND, to visit with their athletes.  

I would bet a lot of those Universities were wanting to get a look at the QB who will be a Junior. He had a impressive Soph season: 231 comp 367 Att 63% comp 2,956 yds 33 TD's 2 Int, 118 Car 305 yds 10 TD. Seems to be very aware and makes good decisions with the football. Has visited Georgia, Florida State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue, Cincinnati, and Kentucky over the spring. Will also be visiting Ohio State (if not already as of this post) and I am sure a few other schools as an incoming Junior.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting-quarterback-danny-oneil-visiting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FastpacedO said:

I would bet a lot of those Universities were wanting to get a look at the QB who will be a Junior. He had a impressive Soph season: 231 comp 367 Att 63% comp 2,956 yds 33 TD's 2 Int, 118 Car 305 yds 10 TD. Seems to be very aware and makes good decisions with the football. Has visited Georgia, Florida State, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Purdue, Cincinnati, and Kentucky over the spring. Will also be visiting Ohio State (if not already as of this post) and I am sure a few other schools as an incoming Junior.

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting-quarterback-danny-oneil-visiting

Here are some comments from Coach Bill Peebles, posted at Hoosier Highschool Football, regarding ONeil's progression and potential:

 

ncoming Junior Danny O'Neil of Indianapolis Cathedral is the state's top rated QB prospect in the Class of 2024, and O'Neil has plenty of work left to do on the high school gridiron as The Irish look for their 3rd straight state title this fall.
Cathedral will be playing in Class 6A this fall after a promotion via the IHSAA's Success Factor, coming off back to back 5A title wins over Zionsville.
O'Neil was 9th overall in Indiana in 2021 with 2956 passing yards, completing 231 of 367 passes with 33TDs and only 2 INTs.
Coach Bill Peebles has been watching his young QB hanging out around the Cathedral camp for years, attending various camps and then working his way into the starting job as a freshman.
"Danny had high, but in my opinion, unrealistic expectations coming into his sophomore year. He had been coming to our summer camps since first grade. His dream was to be the starting QB at Cathedral. He was the backup varsity QB as a freshman, which is unheard of at Cathedral. He was following in the footsteps of Nate McCahill at QB, who had an unbelievable senior year in 2020. I was worried about how he would handle his own expectations and many around him, and I was worried about how he would handle it if things didn't go well. "
Peebles continued,
"Looking back, I had nothing to worry about. He exceeded my expectations. We had a 15-year-old kid, who didn't even have a driver's permit, lead us to another special season. He threw for 33 TD's and only 2 INTs, and more importantly, he managed to be a great leader for us offensively."
"Danny has special arm talent. That is why there are so many schools taking a look at him. The future is bright for him. The next step will be how he handles the success he has had. It is one thing to climb a mountain. It is another to stay there and not let the success change you. The one thing I know about him is that he will work his tail off and compete. "

280058763_326993979627361_5887405521927054269_n.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2022 at 10:25 PM, Bears62 said:

Take with these with a grain of salt as it is pretty difficult to find information on teams in the off season. Any insight is appreciated

6A favorites: Cathedral

Can win it all: Ben Davis, Carmel, CG, Westfield, Warren Central

Longshots: HSE

5A favorites: Decatur Central, Merrillville

Can win it all: Michigan City, Valpo, FW Dwenger, FW Snider

Longshots: Harrison WL

4A favorites: Roncalli

Can win it all: Mount Vernon, East Central, Evansville Memorial, Leo

Longshots: Kokomo, Brebeuf, Northridge, New Pal, New Prairie, Lowell

 

6A: Carmel is always in the mix, Cathedral is always loaded but last year would've been their year to compete in 6A. Don't count out the MIC powers. It's going to be a toss-up as always. 

5A: Maybe the most wide-open division. Decatur Central has a lot of talent and its recent roadblocks Cathedral & New Pal are now out of the way. This might be the year a Region team gets it done. 

4A: Roncalli & Mt. Vernon both suffered heavy graduation losses. New Pal returns nearly everybody from a 5A sectional champion, including at least four players with D1 offers and an RB with two 1,000-yard seasons. I don't think they'll fly under the radar long. Brebeuf is good - even without Strickland, their front 6 on defense is excellent and they're well-coached. I'd move New Pal & Brebeuf into the "can win it all" category. I don't know what Memorial has coming back, but they've been to back-to-back semistates. They may be the favorite. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...