Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB4

2015 Indianapolis Colts

Because no one else will start it LOL. Rumor is the Colts are a favorite to land Frank Gore. Are there any other Free Agents you would like to see in a Colts uniform? Who should they target in the draft? Should they trade up for a big time DT? Trade down and get more picks to try to fill more holes? Or stay where they're at? Should be an exciting year.

GB

• Upvote 1

Because no one else will start it LOL. Rumor is the Colts are a favorite to land Frank Gore. Are there any other Free Agents you would like to see in a Colts uniform? Who should they target in the draft? Should they trade up for a big time DT? Trade down and get more picks to try to fill more holes? Or stay where they're at? Should be an exciting year.

GB

Some folks will never learn that the most overvalued commodity in the NFL is a running back whose "sell by" date is close at hand. Gore has played 11 seasons, has almost 3,000 touches, and will be 32 years old by the time the next season rolls around. Draft a running back in the 5th round. Save the higher draft choices and free agent $$$ for some offensive linemen.

Some folks will never learn that the most overvalued commodity in the NFL is a running back whose "sell by" date is close at hand. Gore has played 11 seasons, has almost 3,000 touches, and will be 32 years old by the time the next season rolls around. Draft a running back in the 5th round. Save the higher draft choices and free agent $$$ for some offensive linemen.

I agree. Although, I would like to see the Colts go after Tevin Coleman in Round 2. I also hope they sign DT Dan Williams away from Arizona.

GB

Edited by GB4

GB

Thanks GB for starting the new thread.  The Colts currently have $36+ million in cap space. I hope they spend it wisely. I read last night that it is looking like Gore could very well be the starting back for the Colts this coming season.  There are good arguments for and against this signing should it happen.  I would love to see them be able to get Coleman in the draft but I doubt he'll be available when the Colts pick in the second round.  Some mock draft boards I have seen have rated Coleman in the top 50 players (#35).  I know that doesn't mean he will go high or even first round but he will probably be one of the first backs drafted.  Of course the O line needs help as does the defense, especially the pass rush.  When the Colts ran a 4-3 defense they were really good with Freeney and Mathias.  Who knows if Mathias will be any good if/when he comes back?  It would be interesting to see if the Colts even try to go after Suh, but he will probably cost too much not to mention the baggage he has.  The Colts need to find the next J J Watt!  Maybe a diamond in the rough through the draft?  Lots of decisions to be made over the next couple of months.

I think the Colts would be better suited getting a speed back that is a big play threat running the ball and catching out of the backfield. Coleman will likely be gone early to mid 2, but Duke Johnson from Miami is a possibility in the late 2nd and maybe even the 3rd...the Duke could fly on that indoor surface at LOS! Also got Abdulah from Nebraska and a couple other mid rounders.

As itiswhatitis said though, they definitely need O-Line help(unless the CFL signee turns out as expected) and they could use a pass rusher. New some showed some promise, who knows about Mathis, Redding is aged, Art Jones is solid. If there is a DL on the board in the 1st I think they go there, names like: Malcolm Brown, Vic Beasley, Arik Armstead, or Eddie Goldman.

Edited by FishDuck

Grigson was stated this week the most important drill that can be done combine week is the 40 yard dash.  I tend to agree with the former Boilermaker.   Coaches at the NFL level truly believe they can fix any and all technique deficiencies players may have, but you cannot teach god given athleticism and speed.  Of course there is speed development drills, athletiscm development drills, but flat out straight line speed is what GMs drool over.   The Al Davis rule of thumb (Heyward-Bey anyone?) 

I would think for most players the shuttle is the most important drill, since very few players have to run 40 yds. in a straight line under game conditions. But stopping, starting, changing directions, that's what football is about.

Never draft a running back in the first 3 rounds....under any circumstance.  

• Upvote 1

I've heard Johnson's name mentioned as a back the Colts may be interested in drafting.  I agree with bobref about the shuttle drill but it seems that those 40 times are what everyone prizes above all else.  In Coleman's case I've read that his 40 time is slower than many other backs in this draft.  However, he brings a LOT more to the table (IMO).  Even with picking up Heenan out of the CFL, I still feel the Colts should look at getting another O lineman or two.  They had way too many injuries last season and had so many different lineups during the year.  Getting Heenan could work out great since he can play well anywhere on the O line.  However that was in the CFL and the NFL is a wee bit better competition.  Time will tell as the saying goes.  The two off season signings I was stoked about last year was Adams and Nicks.  I guess that turned out 50/50.  Adams played well and Nicks was somewhat of a bust.  I'm anxious to see who they may or may not go after this year.  It seems like there are many good FA's available this year.

Never draft a running back in the first 3 rounds....under any circumstance.  

Dime a dozen, no doubt, but on the flip side, they're have been some game changers, Adrian Peterson being one, I believe Forte was worth the 2nd round when he was drafted and the productivity and health he has had thus far.  

But there is some merit to that statement.  

Would Colts fans be ok with a trade for a WR like Marshall?  I would understand the willingness to stay away!!  

Why is Nicks on a downside of his career?  He is surprisingly young, like 26 or 27 right?  Effort ? Talent? neither?  

Dime a dozen, no doubt, but on the flip side, they're have been some game changers, Adrian Peterson being one, I believe Forte was worth the 2nd round when he was drafted and the productivity and health he has had thus far.  

Would Colts fans be ok with a trade for a WR like Marshall?  I would understand the willingness to stay away!!  

Why is Nicks on a downside of his career?  He is surprisingly young, like 26 or 27 right?  Effort ? Talent? neither?  

Good question.  I've heard several Colts fans express disappointment with Nicks.  In some games it seemed as though the effort wasn't there and then other times he played well.  I don't know what is up with him, but he was just too inconsistent in my opinion.  I'm not so sure he'll be on the team next year.  The Colts have greater needs than a wr at this point.  Moncrief and Hilton are the core of the Colts future passing game, and let's not forget Fleener and Allen at tight end.  In some circles Fleener and Allen (when healthy) are considered the best tight end duo in the league.

It's not that there aren't gamebreakers at the position, it's just in a salary cap league, paying Round 1-3 cash to an RB is wasted money, when you can get the same production for less,by committee.  In this league you need a QB, 2 CBs, an OL, and DE's.  That's where the money should be spent. (occassionally on a marquee WR too, but WR is similar to RB, you can find system fits for cheap)

I've thought for a while now, any team that doesn't draft a QB, CB, OL, DE, (and maybe a WR) in the 1st three rounds wasted the chance at a difference maker.  

For the Colts, they have the QB, corners are solid, the OL needs help, DE's are a question (if Mathis is healthy this isn't a need), and a WR could be picked if some get passed over.  

Edited by CoachGallogly

It's not that there aren't gamebreakers at the position, it's just in a salary cap league, paying Round 1-3 cash to an RB is wasted money, when you can get the same production for less,by committee.  In this league you need a QB, 2 CBs, an OL, and DE's.  That's where the money should be spent. (occassionally on a marquee WR too, but WR is similar to RB, you can find system fits for cheap)

I've thought for a while now, any team that doesn't draft a QB, CB, OL, DE, (and maybe a WR) in the 1st three rounds wasted the chance at a difference maker.  

For the Colts, they have the QB, corners are solid, the OL needs help, DE's are a question (if Mathis is healthy this isn't a need), and a WR could be picked if some get passed over.  

One of the reasons that New England (and Brady) have thrived for so many years.  They always seem to find those guys that fit their offense and they are never big names until AFTER playing at New England (think Wes Welker).

The only RB I would like the Colts to draft early is Tevin Coleman. If he isn't there I hope they wait until the later rounds.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2015/2/19/8071839/colts-met-with-indiana-running-back-tevin-coleman

I know these meetings mean nothing in the long run.

GB

I would agree about Coleman as I think he is the best overall back in the draft (my opinion of course).  I seriously doubt he falls past the second round and I expect the Colts to draft a pass rusher and O lineman before a running back.  In the more modern era of football, the Colts have really only had 3 good backs:  Marshall Faulk, Erik Dickerson, and Edge James.  Everyone else has pretty much been mediocre or a bust.  It seemed that Ballard was going to be the next good back but he's been off the field for the past 2 seasons due to injuries.  He had such a promising rookie season too.  If I had to guess, I'd say the Colts are going to stick with Herron and Tipton.  IF (huge IF) they could pick up Gore, he would probably be the featured back with Herron and Tipton being #1 and #2 backups.  If they want a running game now, they should really consider signing Gore.  Yeah he's an older dude, but he still has another couple of good years (1,000+ yard seasons) in him.  On offense that is pretty much all the Colts lacked:  a solid running game.  Gore would give that to them and I believe he stays healthier than Bradshaw does.

I agree. I just have a feeling about Coleman. I know it is unlikely the Colts will get him, unless they reach for him in the 1st round, but, they have more pressing needs to address.

GB

I agree. I just have a feeling about Coleman. I know it is unlikely the Colts will get him, unless they reach for him in the 1st round, but, they have more pressing needs to address.

GB

As I've said in other posts and other threads, I have seen about every game Coleman has played the past two years and I feel he is the real deal.  He was really impressive this season.  He had 170+ yards (on the road) against the eventual National champions.  That game showed me he could succeed against the highest level of talent in college.  I felt for certain after that game he was ready for the NFL.  The Colts could very well look to sign a free agent running back.  Murray, Gore, and maybe Petersen are possibilities.  Gore has said if he couldn't sign with the 49ers he would like to play for the Colts.  If management is satisfied with Herron and Tipton then I guess it won't matter if they sign or draft a running back. I agree about the pressing needs.  A pass rusher would be nice and a couple more O linemen as well.  They also could use another safety since Landry is gone (and a bust}.  For all of the hype that came with them, Landry and Richardson were a waste of money and roster spots.  I guess sometimes it is a big gamble: one time you get the big payoff and another time you lose the bet.

• Upvote 1

Coleman having surgery and being in a walking boot might drop him to that 3rd round, especially with guys like Jay Ajayi(not sure if I spelled that right) and Ameer Abdullah impressing at the combine. Hopefully Coleman can impress at a Pro Day, if he isn't back to 100% health before the draft he may fall a ways and if he falls to the Colts in 3, they better run that card to the podium

Edited by FishDuck
  • Upvote 1

Coleman having surgery and being in a walking boot might drop him to that 3rd round, especially with guys like Jay Ajayi(not sure if I spelled that right) and Ameer Abdullah impressing at the combine. Hopefully Coleman can impress at a Pro Day, if he isn't back to 100% health before the draft he may fall a ways and if he falls to the Colts in 3, they better run that card to the podium

You could be correct on that.  I'd love to see the Colts get him but I'm hearing the Colts are leaning toward Duke Johnson out of Miami.

You could be correct on that. I'd love to see the Colts get him but I'm hearing the Colts are leaning toward Duke Johnson out of Miami.

I think both would fit their need at RB, lot of speed and explosiveness

I think both would fit their need at RB, lot of speed and explosiveness

We've discussed how the Colts have other pressing needs.  But let's just talk about running back since they could use a starter/game changer type of player in the backfield.  I'm thinking Bradshaw isn't going to be resigned this year.  I am also thinking that Ballard may not be back either.  That leaves Herron and Tipton.  The Colts finished the season with those 2 as the running backs with Herron getting the most carries.  I'm waiting to see if the Colts take a chance on Frank Gore.  I am reading and hearing that both parties are interested (Gore and the Colts).  He would be a good fit as he is a veteran power back with decent speed and would pick up the offense a lot faster than a rookie will.  I think he still has a couple of good years left in the tank so why not give him 4 - 5 million on a two year deal?  They could still draft a running back and bring him along gradually instead of needing to throw him to the wolves right away.  This will be Ballard's fourth season and he hasn't been on the field since his rookie year.  Bradshaw has played okay when he is on the field but can't last a full season.  Out of those two (Bradshaw and Ballard) I could see them maybe giving Ballard one more chance but man the dude can't stay healthy.  Maybe it's time to part company with him.  Same for Bradshaw (heath issues).  If they go the route of a Johnson or a Coleman in the draft then I doubt they will look to sign Gore.  Considering the money part, a rookie contract will be a lot cheaper than what they would have to pay a free agent (like Gore).  I guess we just stay tuned.

We've discussed how the Colts have other pressing needs.  But let's just talk about running back since they could use a starter/game changer type of player in the backfield.  I'm thinking Bradshaw isn't going to be resigned this year.  I am also thinking that Ballard may not be back either.  That leaves Herron and Tipton.  The Colts finished the season with those 2 as the running backs with Herron getting the most carries.  I'm waiting to see if the Colts take a chance on Frank Gore.  I am reading and hearing that both parties are interested (Gore and the Colts).  He would be a good fit as he is a veteran power back with decent speed and would pick up the offense a lot faster than a rookie will.  I think he still has a couple of good years left in the tank so why not give him 4 - 5 million on a two year deal?  They could still draft a running back and bring him along gradually instead of needing to throw him to the wolves right away.  This will be Ballard's fourth season and he hasn't been on the field since his rookie year.  Bradshaw has played okay when he is on the field but can't last a full season.  Out of those two (Bradshaw and Ballard) I could see them maybe giving Ballard one more chance but man the dude can't stay healthy.  Maybe it's time to part company with him.  Same for Bradshaw (heath issues).  If they go the route of a Johnson or a Coleman in the draft then I doubt they will look to sign Gore.  Considering the money part, a rookie contract will be a lot cheaper than what they would have to pay a free agent (like Gore).  I guess we just stay tuned.

If Coleman or Johnson are there in 3 I would take them and stay away from Gore. If there aren't any "quality" backs available in the 3rd I would go after a speed back in the 5-7 rounds and try to sign Gore. I think they will bring Ballard back just out of feeling bad for the guy and wanting him to get another shot if he can stay healthy. Bradshaw will be gone IMO.

I just read a Fox Sports article that lists their top 30 unrestricted free agents.  These are the ones they had listed as players the Colts could be interested in:

WR Jeremy Maclin, Eagles

OT Bryan Bulaga, Packers

WR Randall Cobb, Packers

OLB Brian Orakpo, Redskins

DT Nick Fairley, Lions

CB Kareem Jackson, Texans

OG Orlando Franklin, Broncos

DE Greg Hardy, Panthers

LB Jabaal Sheard, Browns

Interesting choices.  I'd like to see the Colts take good hard looks at Bulaga, Franklin, Hardy, or maybe Orakpo.  I don't see the WR's, the CB, or the LB as being that high on their FA wish list.  Getting another OG or OT would be a plus.  If I recall, Hardy is a stud for the Panthers.

I just read a Fox Sports article that lists their top 30 unrestricted free agents.  These are the ones they had listed as players the Colts could be interested in:

WR Jeremy Maclin, Eagles

OT Bryan Bulaga, Packers

WR Randall Cobb, Packers

OLB Brian Orakpo, Redskins

DT Nick Fairley, Lions

CB Kareem Jackson, Texans

OG Orlando Franklin, Broncos

DE Greg Hardy, Panthers

LB Jabaal Sheard, Browns

Interesting choices.  I'd like to see the Colts take good hard looks at Bulaga, Franklin, Hardy, or maybe Orakpo.  I don't see the WR's, the CB, or the LB as being that high on their FA wish list.  Getting another OG or OT would be a plus.  If I recall, Hardy is a stud for the Panthers.

Hardy is a stud, but he had the domestic violence issues last season. May hinder the Colt's desire to go after him. Fairley would be a decent pick up, as would Bulaga and Franklin but I don't see either of them going elsewhere. With the FAs the Colts currently have themselves that they need to resign, I'm not sure I see them landing any of these names because either the $ value would be too high, or the teams they currently play for will resign them.

Yeah I knew about his domestic stuff (Hardy).  I still expect the Colts to sign a couple of FA's.  Getting a good quality offensive lineman would be a huge plus and everything that I read or hear says that the Colts management is leaning that way.  Even though the Colts have their own FA's to resign, I'm not so sure they will keep them all.  They've already let a few of them go.  I expect to see more of them playing elsewhere next year.  And in your post #22 I totally agree that Bradshaw is gone next season.