Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2021

Bobref

Brian Kelly will stay committed to his senior like he always has in the past. But winning is the name of the game, and if the going gets rough, he won't hesitate to insert Buchner or Pyne. Notre Dame is blessed to have three good quarterbacks. Somethings got to give though, and Pyne might be the one to go. He deserves to lead a program. 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Brian Kelly will stay committed to his senior like he always has in the past.

I don’t agree. Remember, Coan is not “his” senior. He’s a grad transfer who has been in the program no longer than TB, and less time than Pyne.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I don’t agree. Remember, Coan is not “his” senior. He’s a grad transfer who has been in the program no longer than TB, and less time than Pyne.

Nonetheless, he is a senior, and he jumped ship from Wisconsin to come to Notre Dame to play in his final season. His commitment to this young man is obvious. We've seen glimpses of Buchner and Pyne being able to move the ball better than Coan. And with an offensive line that continues to allow pressure on our quarterback, it only makes football sense to utilize someone who can avert those defenders by scrambling out of the pocket..........Buchner and Pyne. Kelly's commitment to "this" senior is plain as day. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Coan, and if the offensive line were better he'd probably be our man. But under the circumstances we are in, he might just be the third best quarterback on this team. 

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Coan, and if the offensive line were better he'd probably be our man. But under the circumstances we are in, he might just be the third best quarterback on this team.

This is the important point. Kelly is finding out that his OL is a work in progress. He needs a more mobile QB than Coan. Buchner will be the starter by the time I go to the Navy game on Nov. 6.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This is the important point. Kelly is finding out that his OL is a work in progress. He needs a more mobile QB than Coan. Buchner will be the starter by the time I go to the Navy game on Nov. 6.

I agree, and after the season is over, Pyne will enter the transfer portal. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2021 at 7:16 PM, Footballking16 said:

What a massive game for both teams. Winner of this game may be in the driver seat for the playoff. Cincinnati’s schedule is a joke after this and ND’s once thought tough stretch a few weeks ago now doesn’t look all that daunting. 

You're right. I was really surprised at the outcome on Saturday vs Wisconsin, especially the 2nd half in how ND made some changes to help their offense while Wisconsin did not alter much and it really showed in the 4th quarter. I think Cincy brings a much more attacking defense with some guys in the secondary who can ball. The Qb has started like 30 games at Cincy so he'll be much better than what they played against vs Wisconsin. Still early in the week but depth chart at QB is 1. Jack Coan 2. Drew Pyne 3. Tyler Buchnar... we'll who's all healthy enough to go on Saturday. 

41 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Michigan 38, Wisconsin 17.  Game at Wisconsin.  Wisconsin overrated!

Notre Dame is scuffling today, albeit Cincinnati is an outstanding opponent.

Kelly's commitment to Coan is costing this team. Notre Dame is losing this game for no other reason than they have no idea who their quarterback is five games into the season. 

3 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Can’t turn the ball over 3 times and expect to win. Hope to see drew pyne in the 2nd half. Or anyone who can provide a spark on offense 

That would be Drew Pyne.

42 minutes ago, Irishman said:

What really bothers me is the passive defensive play. When they send pressure, they are fast enough and athletic enough to make things happen. When they only rush 3, and give QB's time, they get picked apart. 

Sounds like a high school team I know.

At the end of the day, it's hard to win games when a team makes as many mistakes as ND did. Interception inside the 10 yard line. Fumbled kickoff return. Dropped wide open pass that led to a punt. Missed extra point. Not playing the right quarterback from the beginning of the game. Everyone knew Pyne was our guy. Why didn't Kelly?

Instead, a Group of Five school comes in with swagger and beats Notre Dame in there own house and rubbed it in along the way. I would think that's a hard pill to swallow for the ND coaches and players. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BTF said:

That would be Drew Pyne.

Pyne gave the Irish a chance, but actually the Irish had their behinds handed to them today.  The turnovers made it easier for the Bearcats but after the opening drive and terrible interception, the life was gone from them.  I hope to never see Jack Coan behind an Irish center again!  I know that won't happen but Coach BK needs to take a lot of heat for his decision making, or non making, today.  Pyne is clearly the best of the three Irish QB's.

• Like 4

Cincinnati was (by far) the better team yesterday. A combo of turnovers, bad OL play, bad QB play, and big plays given up on defense finally caught up with the Irish and it finally showed up on the scoreboard. Kudos to the bearcats. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

What do you think?  Pounded by Notre Dame and Michigan, I'd say yep, they're overrated.

Well, you had to wait until they lost to Michigan to claim they were overrated huh?

Irish fans were calling it a quality win in my circle last Sunday.

14 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I saw A LOT of red in the stadium on Saturday. Notre Dame can't be happy about season ticket holders selling their seats to Cincinnati fans. Not nearly as bad as the Nebraska game, but Cincinnati put a lot of red in that stadium.

Agreed...the Georgia game a few years ago was far worse. I have noticed over the years when tailgating is that there are a LOT of flags for other schools along with ND flags flying........I am thinking for many that those other schools are the primary team they root for? One friend who is a season ticket holder is a UNC and ND fan. That may be the oddest combo yet that I am aware of.