Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

37 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I also wonder too how some programs can bounce back so much faster than others. Penn State is a prime example. After facing the harshest punishment, deservedly so, a program can face, they are once again a top 5 team. Michigan State seems to be a much more competitive team after a few years of battling on about the same level as IU. If someone says those programs have more tradition, I say you have to go pretty far back to find it; to a point that young kids will not make it a consideration. 

Great questions...and I agree...kids today most likely are not swayed by traditions of the past.  Perhaps a school like Penn State has a nice market on talent not only in rich PA, but also much of the northeast.  Throw in some individuals from the midwest and south, and they have quite the roster.  They also have that connection of putting guys, especially on D, into the NFL.  But what a comeback they made as you said from a tremendously bleak event just a few years ago that could have been the death of the program.  They also defy the trend that you see from so many programs that have multiple uniform and helmet options....they wear the same old home and away uni's with the same helmet....and they still attract the young talent.  Interesting case study.  MSU is also interesting...I thought they were plummenting on the way down, and that ship seems to be back on course.  

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

I refer to this often, and saw this ad this weekend. Look at how empty Camp Randall is for a home game in the clips. Wisconsin was a regular cellar dweller with IU for a lot of years. So, what did Alvarez do? he permanently fixed the trajectory of the program. Sure they are down, but no one here doubts they will be better soon, right? So, what is it that he was able to do that IU is missing? Or does IU have the pieces in place to follow a similar path that worked for Wisconsin? 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/qLii/university-of-wisconsin-madison-unstoppable 

Just spit balling here, but is Indiana being dubbed a "basketball state" the difference here?  Football has made large strides, no doubt but is this completely off base?

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Just spit balling here, but is Indiana being dubbed a "basketball state" the difference here?  Football has made large strides, no doubt but is this completely off base?

That very well could be a part of it. But before Alvarez, what was Wisconsin known for? Hockey; did not have baseball. You could also say that MSU has long been a BBall school too, maybe not the extent that Indiana has been. 
The mindset certainly has had an impact on the UK programs as well, but Stoops at UK seems to be on track. 

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Penix out indefinitely according to AP and ESPN….

I want DeBoer back. We can put any of theQB’s in there. 
Sheridan is on my list. He should be on Allen’s short leash. More offensive talent on this years squad, less production than ‘18 or ‘19. I’m not ready to cast any blame for the lack of production on any of the players. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, southend said:

So i guess I’m ready to back off a little bit if Indiana wins the game tomorrow. But I’m very skeptical of the desire that the Hoosiers  have.

I give the Hoosiers a puncher’s chance.  MSU still hasn’t proven they can beat anyone with a winning record…

8 hours ago, temptation said:

I give the Hoosiers a puncher’s chance.  MSU still hasn’t proven they can beat anyone with a winning record…

Good call. IU has a solid defense, and they have shut down the MSU offense. IU will need to finish drives though, and not just settle for field goals. They cannot afford to let MSU stay close. 

Intake back what I said about Penix’s injury possibly being a blessing in disguise for IU.

Tuttle makes Penix look like Tom Brady.

We finally ready to admit that 2020 was a sham and that Tom Allen should have entertained his options last winter?

Do the Hoosiers get two more wins?

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Intake back what I said about Penix’s injury possibly being a blessing in disguise for IU.

Tuttle makes Penix look like Tom Brady.

We finally ready to admit that 2020 was a sham and that Tom Allen should have entertained his options last winter?

Do the Hoosiers get two more wins?

Agree that Tuttle was really bad

Nope, and Nope......still took the field and won the games they did last season regardless of the circumstances. Looking at the recruiting that is taking place, he still gets more time. He has to build more depth as injuries; especially in the o line are hurting them. Not making any excuses for yesterday; they have to compete in those games.....and win them. 

2 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Agree that Tuttle was really bad

Nope, and Nope......still took the field and won the games they did last season regardless of the circumstances. Looking at the recruiting that is taking place, he still gets more time. He has to build more depth as injuries; especially in the o line are hurting them. Not making any excuses for yesterday; they have to compete in those games.....and win them. 

Of course he should get “more time.”  2020 may have earned him a lifetime contract.

I was speaking from the perspective of what’s best for HIM.  His name came up in quite a few job openings last year, most with a ceiling higher than IU,

Let’s face it.  IU is a cute story every so often but has a ceiling of 8 wins due to many factors, most of which are beyond their control.

Allen should have struck when the iron was hot. 

#LEO

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Of course he should get “more time.”  2020 may have earned him a lifetime contract.

I was speaking from the perspective of what’s best for HIM.  His name came up in quite a few job openings last year, most with a ceiling higher than IU,

Let’s face it.  IU is a cute story every so often but has a ceiling of 8 wins due to many factors, most of which are beyond their control.

Allen should have struck when the iron was hot. 

#LEO

I don't recall his name coming up for any jobs. 

Many factors beyond their control......no question. I have been saying it for years, even before the conference had divisions. 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:20 PM, temptation said:

He essentially got a "lifetime" contract, it auto renews a year after each season.

On 10/17/2021 at 12:20 PM, temptation said:

Not going anywhere for awhile, part of his new contract calls for a $30 million buyout from both parties if he were to leave or be fired. It decreases to $15 million at the conclusion of next season. 

Overhaul on the offensive coaching staff is imperative after this year. Keep McCullough but the OC/QB coach and offensive line coach need to be fired and they needed to be fired yesterday. IU is wasting a very good defense on inept offensive coaching. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

He essentially got a "lifetime" contract, it auto renews a year after each season.

Not going anywhere for awhile, part of his new contract calls for a $30 million buyout from both parties if he were to leave or be fired. It decreases to $15 million at the conclusion of next season. 

Overhaul on the offensive coaching staff is imperative after this year. Keep McCullough but the OC/QB coach and offensive line coach need to be fired and they needed to be fired yesterday. IU is wasting a very good defense on inept offensive coaching. 

Good call.  Dude hit the lottery.

I’m going to bring him along the next time I’m in the market for a new car.

Edited by temptation

Man, they can’t continue as is, so they are grasping for straws. It’s really not a tough call to make, given the state of the QB situation on the team. But does Allen think this is the move to salvage the season? Good luck. As I stated ,this mess isn’t a result of any of the players ,it truly is A reflection of an inadequate offense coach. 

On 10/19/2021 at 9:25 PM, Irishman said:

Whoa nelly! He’s not starting. Just going to be used more. Then see how it goes.

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 10:34 AM, temptation said:

We finally ready to admit that 2020 was a sham

I wouldn't call it a sham. They had good quarterback play, that was the difference. Isn't that what held Michigan back for several years?