Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

33 minutes ago, southend said:

So now the season is over what are the expectations for next year? 9 wins again? Big Ten championship, is what Allen’s statement said. He was setting the team up physically and mentally to win this’ thing. And then the injury bug bit. 

Bowl eligibility.  The ceiling for IU football.

7 hours ago, southend said:

This was a given.  So what about the strength and conditioning coach? I’m just as concerned with all the injuries as I was with the play calling.

Indiana is in big trouble.  Rutgers and Illinois both improved this year, and will no doubt continue to do so under Greg Schiano and Bret Bielema.  Purdue has clearly surpassed Indiana.  The IU program has no identity under Allen.  Are we a throwing team? Are we a running team?  Are we strong on defense?  IU will win 5 or 6 games over the next two seasons and Allen will be out, and we start all over again.  Very depressing.

6 hours ago, HHF said:

Indiana is in big trouble.  Rutgers and Illinois both improved this year, and will no doubt continue to do so under Greg Schiano and Bret Bielema.  Purdue has clearly surpassed Indiana.  The IU program has no identity under Allen.  Are we a throwing team? Are we a running team?  Are we strong on defense?  IU will win 5 or 6 games over the next two seasons and Allen will be out, and we start all over again.  Very depressing.

I can see this.  I can also see Allen landing another really good Offense play caller as were the previous two before Sheridan. A good offense keeps your defense off the field. Big problem this year. I’m thinking a few tweaks, involving a good coordinator , and Indiana is in the mix with Rutgers, Illinois Purdue, Minnesota and  Michigan State. 

Tom Allen needs to have the humility to admit that he has no idea what he's doing on the offensive side of the ball and essentially hire a "co-Head Coach" to take complete reigns of the offense. Cannot promote a 32 year old with zero play-calling experience like they did with Sheridan and I don't really think they can take a chance on a MAC level coordinator.

At minimum the next OC needs to have P5 experience, but I would prefer a former head coach. I think someone like Skip Holtz would be a realistic and quality hire but I prefer IU shoot for the moon first and try and lure someone like Rich Rodriguez, Kevin Sumlin, hell even Art Briles at this point, looking to rejuvenize their career. 

This will be the single most important (and defining) hire of Allen's career. If he gets this wrong, his buyout is manageable after the 2023 season and he's gone. 

Allen knew when he got the job he wasn’t coaching offense. Never was or pretend to. Thus the reason he  hired who he did prior to Sheridan. The Sheridan hire was a hire of loyalty, he wanted the job first, secondly we was on staff for both of the previous OC’s.  Allen wanted to give the guy a coaching break. Didn’t work obviously.Allen knows the coaching rank and file around the country. It’s if there is enough money to get the P5 assistant. Remember Wilson left Indiana, and within a year doubled his income as an assistant. So as Wilson, before Allen ,lost many top notch Defensive coordinators ,Allen’s Achilles is obvious keeping a good OC.

And it may never end for a program like Indiana has. 

I took screen shots from the depth charts from week 1 and Saturday vs. Purdue. Week 1 is on the left.
Not sure if all the differences are due to injury, or if guys just took over, but I do know the week one depth chart was based on the notion that 18 starters returned from last year. The roster on the right was from the Purdue media guide, so the QB change must have happened after this was submitted to Purdue. There are multiple spots where it seems significant changes were made. The two listed as starters at RT are not on the list for Purdue and Jones was moved from LT to RT. The one that jumps out to me is at Center. 3 guys listed at week 1 are not the starter, and Charlie O'Connor stayed as a back up. I point that out because the O Line play was a glaring weakness as the season progressed. It had been solid in the early part of the season though. Losing Carr REALLY hurt, but they lost several backs as well and were giving Spiegel a number of carries.  
Image preview

I cant imagine any hot young coordinator wanting to work under Tom Allen at IU.  Its a lose / lose proposition.  You lose games on the field and you lose momentum in your career development.  Allen is a great guy, but he does not have the skill to dig IU out of the Big Ten East hole, which is getting deeper because the programs around him are rising (Rutgers/Maryland/MSU)

15 years ago, IU and Kentucky ended their series which IU led 17-16 .  The two programs were about equal at the time in terms of talent level and their position in their respective conferences . IU last in the BT and KY last in the SEC.  Look at where the two are today.  IU has burned through 5 coaching staffs while KY has enjoyed stability and great recruiting success under Mark Stoops.

Its crystal clear, Allen will be fired, sooner or later.  The next coach MUST have D1 experience AND a winning resume that he can bring to Bloomington.  

40 minutes ago, HHF said:

I cant imagine any hot young coordinator wanting to work under Tom Allen at IU.  Its a lose / lose proposition.  You lose games on the field and you lose momentum in your career development.  Allen is a great guy, but he does not have the skill to dig IU out of the Big Ten East hole, which is getting deeper because the programs around him are rising (Rutgers/Maryland/MSU)

You sure you don’t want to walk that back? Kaleb DeBoer spent a year as IU’s OC, was hired as head coach immediately at Fresno State and today took the opening at Washington.

Allen hired Kane Wommack three years ago and within two years parlayed his success with a D1 coaching job at South Alabama.

1 hour ago, HHF said:

15 years ago, IU and Kentucky ended their series which IU led 17-16 .  The two programs were about equal at the time in terms of talent level and their position in their respective conferences . IU last in the BT and KY last in the SEC.  Look at where the two are today.  IU has burned through 5 coaching staffs while KY has enjoyed stability and great recruiting success under Mark Stoops.

Its crystal clear, Allen will be fired, sooner or later.  The next coach MUST have D1 experience AND a winning resume that he can bring to Bloomington.  

I think you underestimate the mindset of most coaches on the DI level. My guess is there are a LOT of coaches that would be interested in this position. I think people also underestimate Coach Allen himself. He has developed a solid reputation along with a lot of connections. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:27 AM, southend said:

I can see this.  I can also see Allen landing another really good Offense play caller as were the previous two before Sheridan. A good offense keeps your defense off the field. Big problem this year. I’m thinking a few tweaks, involving a good coordinator , and Indiana is in the mix with Rutgers, Illinois Purdue, Minnesota and  Michigan State. 

I would agree, think it also starts with a good QB that can stay on field all year long. So the other top item needed is a good O line, protect QB and sets up good running game. 

9 hours ago, psaboy said:

I would agree, think it also starts with a good QB that can stay on field all year long. So the other top item needed is a good O line, protect QB and sets up good running game. 

Mel Tucker rebuilt the entire MSU roster thru the transfer portal and fixed that program in two years.  It can be done.  

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

Best of luck to the young man. 

Yea, but I’m not sure why he is choosing to leave? The Indiana coaching staff gave him Carte blanc as far as opportunities to be the starter.  Too bad he has to dump on Indiana. Not a good look for Penix. 

14 hours ago, southend said:

Yea, but I’m not sure why he is choosing to leave? The Indiana coaching staff gave him Carte blanc as far as opportunities to be the starter.  Too bad he has to dump on Indiana. Not a good look for Penix. 

In fairness to Penix, we don't know the message he received.  He may have been flat out told he did not factor into the plans....the same message Peyton Ramsey was given when Penix replaced him and he finished his career at Northwestern.

Looks like the Hoosiers have named a new offensive coordinator.  Thoughts?

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/report-iu-football-to-hire-walt-bell-as-next-offensive-coordinator/

18 hours ago, southend said:

I’m sure that is the case. Allen couldn’t risk another season in which Penix gets all the practice reps. Secondly, it frees up a valuable scholarship . I will have to defer on the new OC. Not familiar with the man. 

Have they already written off McCulley?

I’m not sure Indiana can write off anybody right now. 
The  quick work by Allen, hiring an OC, means the coaches can huddle and get a game plan for the offense. Talent cures a lot of what’s wrong with IU.

The weak QB play  was compounded by the terrible offense line that they had to deal with this year. So first, linemen are priority, then set up an offense that fits who you have coming next year. 

Hope the new guy has some offense wrinkles to bring out whatever offensive talent Indiana has left. 

19 minutes ago, southend said:

I’m not sure Indiana can write off anybody right now. 
The  quick work by Allen, hiring an OC, means the coaches can huddle and get a game plan for the offense. Talent cures a lot of what’s wrong with IU.

The weak QB play  was compounded by the terrible offense line that they had to deal with this year. So first, linemen are priority, then set up an offense that fits who you have coming next year. 

Hope the new guy has some offense wrinkles to bring out whatever offensive talent Indiana has left. 

Have read up a little bit on new OC Bell. Decent resume with some pretty meh results but at least has some P5 play-calling experience. Runs a spread offense that's a little more run heavy. Sounds like he prefers to use the QB in the run game which suits McCulley as he can take some hits.