Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Highschool Football Preseason Top 10 By Class

20 minutes ago, HereComesTheBoom said:

Still trying to figure out what Hart vs Wilkerson head to head records have anything to do with thread?  GS pride hurt by being ranked below HH in a meaningless preseason poll?  😃  

Yes 🤣

• Haha 3

On 5/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Titan32 said:

I think a preseason ranking for GS of #9 is just stirring the pot for clicks from the active fanbase.

We think we will be pretty good.  Also, what about Tri-West in 3A south?

Hart vs Wilkerson.  GS leads the series 10-5.

09-21-2012 Heritage Hills 10 - 14 Gibson Southern

09-27-2013 Heritage Hills 26 - 50 Gibson Southern

09-26-2014 Heritage Hills 38 - 33 Gibson Southern

11-07-2014 Heritage Hills 14 - 13 Gibson Southern

09-25-2015 Heritage Hills 13 - 42 Gibson Southern

09-23-2016 Heritage Hills 10 - 38 Gibson Southern

09-22-2017 Heritage Hills 7 - 48 Gibson Southern 

09-21-2018 Heritage Hills 31 - 7 Gibson Southern 

10-26-2018 Heritage Hills 14 - 24 Gibson Southern 

09-27-2019 Heritage Hills 49 - 14 Gibson Southern 

11-01-2019 Heritage Hills 21 - 20 Gibson Southern 

09-25-2020 Heritage Hills 0 - 38 Gibson Southern 

10-23-2020 Heritage Hills 10 - 21 Gibson Southern 

09-24-2021 Heritage Hills 3 - 42 Gibson Southern

11-05-2021 Heritage Hills 7 - 42 Gibson Southern 

Could you elaborate on why you think you will be good? From what I see from looking at last year stats it would suggest a rebuilding year.

As the list below would suggest:

·        Lost Purdue QB replaced with a JR QB that had 4 passing attempts last year.

·        Lost 3 out of 4 top receivers including the two bests

·        On defense it looks like they have 1 returning starter. Ouch!

One upside GS returns there leading rusher. Is GS going to become a rushing team?

Edited by Slobberknocker

13 minutes ago, Slobberknocker said:

One upside GS returns there leading rusher. Is GS going to become a rushing team?

A rushing team that can throw.  Also, it's slightly frowned upon to give the backup Q a bunch of passing attempts during mop up time.  Don't worry, he had his reps in JV... where the average margin of victory was 37 points and the team averaged 12.8 yards per carry.

BUT.  We know JV isn't a one-for-one translation to varsity.  That said, Next Titan Up.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Could you elaborate on why you think you will be good? From what I see from looking at last year stats it would suggest a rebuilding year.

·        Lost Purdue QB replaced with a JR QB that had 4 passing attempts last year.

Tbh….QB is probably the least of the concerns?  Hart is a phenomenal QB mentor and during his tenure so far over 10 years….every QB who was the starting QB, made All State 3A at least once.  4 different QBs…all 4 were all state caliber QBs and great in their own ways.

GS will surely rush more this year than last year…but idk if it looks that much different for the opposing teams.  It’s still going to line up as 4 receivers shotgun RPO I bet.….only change is that the guy we presume is going to be the starter can take it 70 yards for the touchdown with his legs 

• Like 1

I would also like to add that GS’s leading rusher is so much more than a runner.  He made varsity as a freshman and played WR.  Think he got banged up at some point that year but still showed plenty of flashes as a freshman.  

switched to RB last year but still was used a lot in the passing game.  

he might not play RB this year for all we know and could go back to WR.  He’s just flat out a weapon you get the ball to 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

Seniors get more action.

Defense
#3 in tackles All conference returns (missed last 2 games). (40 solo, 13 assist, 21 TFL)

#4 (39 solo,8 assist,2 TFL)in tackles returns LB with significant varsity experience.
Another DL/LB  with significant varsity experience other than clean up.
Another DE with significant varsity experience other than clean up.
We will have secondary questions to figure out....but we could go with a couple 2-way guys (blasphemy at GS!)

Offense
#2 in total yards All conference returns 1324 (AP) from scrimmage returns.

#4, #5 and #6 receivers return for totals of 461, 362, (missed 4 last games), 256, return.

#1, #2 and #4 rushers return for totals of 863, 362, 357

2 Offensive linemen that started full or part-time return.

Thoughts
Expect total yardage to be near 50% from runs and 50% from passes this season.  Expect a very physical and aggressive front 7...we will match up nicely against the guys in our conference who might want to ground and pound.

Losing QB1 was huge after one of the best senior performances by an Indiana QB I have ever seen, but he won one sectional for us.  In 2015 we lost all 11 Defensive starters and was good enough to win sectional the following year had our QB not broken his collar bone.

Look at what Lawrenceburg lost this season and they are ranked #3...come on man.

Also, a very successful JV team with upper classmen waiting their turn who made some varsity squads look really bad in the 3rd and 4th quarters:

image.png

JV rushing 1675 for 12.8 yards per carry very talented group.
JV receiving 687 for 14.9 yards per reception.
Junior QB hasn't lost to a PAC opponent from 3rd through 10th grade.
Junior QB 44/87 641 yards 51% 12 TD 4 INT
32 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I would also like to add that GS’s leading rusher is so much more than a runner.  He made varsity as a freshman and played WR.  Think he got banged up at some point that year but still showed plenty of flashes as a freshman.  

switched to RB last year but still was used a lot in the passing game.  

he might not play RB this year for all we know and could go back to WR.  He’s just flat out a weapon you get the ball to 

Freshman year he got contact traced out for 2 games.  He will probably be just about anywhere on the field this season....plenty of RB though.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, Titan32 said:

I think a preseason ranking for GS of #9 is just stirring the pot for clicks from the active fanbase.

We think we will be pretty good.  Also, what about Tri-West in 3A south?

Hart vs Wilkerson.  GS leads the series 10-5.

09-21-2012 Heritage Hills 10 - 14 Gibson Southern

09-27-2013 Heritage Hills 26 - 50 Gibson Southern

09-26-2014 Heritage Hills 38 - 33 Gibson Southern

11-07-2014 Heritage Hills 14 - 13 Gibson Southern

09-25-2015 Heritage Hills 13 - 42 Gibson Southern

09-23-2016 Heritage Hills 10 - 38 Gibson Southern

09-22-2017 Heritage Hills 7 - 48 Gibson Southern 

09-21-2018 Heritage Hills 31 - 7 Gibson Southern 

10-26-2018 Heritage Hills 14 - 24 Gibson Southern 

09-27-2019 Heritage Hills 49 - 14 Gibson Southern 

11-01-2019 Heritage Hills 21 - 20 Gibson Southern 

09-25-2020 Heritage Hills 0 - 38 Gibson Southern 

10-23-2020 Heritage Hills 10 - 21 Gibson Southern 

09-24-2021 Heritage Hills 3 - 42 Gibson Southern

11-05-2021 Heritage Hills 7 - 42 Gibson Southern 

Tri-West just hired Center Grove AD20220511_182511.thumb.jpg.37b14194c32d7c8a0c6a07401c17f252.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

I'll just say that no one down here expects GS to take any steps backwards. They have PLENTY of good football players that have just been waiting their turn for Friday nights. (And if not, well this would be the time to insert a transfer joke, but I ain't gonna. Turning over new leaf this year)

From the outside looking one might think losing a D1 arm would bring them back to the pack so-to-speak, but us PAC folk know better. 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, jets said:

I'll just say that no one down here expects GS to take any steps backwards. They have PLENTY of good football players that have just been waiting their turn for Friday nights. (And if not, well this would be the time to insert a transfer joke, but I ain't gonna. Turning over new leaf this year)

From the outside looking one might think losing a D1 arm would bring them back to the pack so-to-speak, but us PAC folk know better. 

ANY steps?  Come on.  It's common sense.  You don't just replace a generational talent at the most important position in sports and not skip a beat.

No doubt they will be solid again but if you are expecting a carbon copy of 2021, prepare for disappointment.

Edited by temptation

1 minute ago, temptation said:

ANY steps?  Come on.  It's common sense.  You don't just replace a generational talent at the most important position in sports and not skip a beat.

Plenty of steps....just not as many as Tim's 3A poll would indicate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, temptation said:

So somewhere in the middle of where @HHF and @jets are projecting?  Got it.

Well - I didn't mean to imply we're talking 2021 State Championship material. Those years are special, and few/far between. LOTS of things have to come together.  

But I think some from the outside think they'll be a massive drop- but most down here know better. 

• Like 2

Seeing PAC rival fans say “we know better than to think they will be down this year” is a good feeling thinking back to when people said that GS doesn’t have any tradition or culture.  

the team has come a long way in 10 years and it’s nice when even the rivals are saying “nah they are doing things the right way and will be ready to play” 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Seeing PAC rival fans say “we know better than to think they will be down this year” is a good feeling thinking back to when people said that GS doesn’t have any tradition or culture.  

the team has come a long way in 10 years and it’s nice when even the rivals are saying “nah they are doing things the right way and will be ready to play” 

Agree.  I think Gibson is at a point where they just reload.  Program is solid top to bottom.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach Stephens said:

Agree.  I think Gibson is at a point where they just reload.  Program is solid top to bottom.  

Im surprised to hear that.  You are talking about losing the two greatest impact players in the history of the program, and people expect GS will just "reload" and continue to dominate.  I havent seen any GS players on any of the preseason recruiting lists or top returning players lists.  Then you also need to take into account the "payback factor."  Teams will be chomping at the bit to get a shot at the Titans now that the team isnt so top heavy with elite talent.  

17 minutes ago, HHF said:

Im surprised to hear that.  You are talking about losing the two greatest impact players in the history of the program, and people expect GS will just "reload" and continue to dominate.  I havent seen any GS players on any of the preseason recruiting lists or top returning players lists.  Then you also need to take into account the "payback factor."  Teams will be chomping at the bit to get a shot at the Titans now that the team isnt so top heavy with elite talent.  

No one said they will go to Lucas and crush Chatard...but they have a really good shot in the South to make a decent run.

Reloading is the norm in the Hart era.

2012    11-3
2013    13-1
2014    10-2
2015    13-1
2016    9-1
2017    11-1
2018    9-3
2019    8-3
2020    7-4
2021    14-1

image.thumb.png.327d3b2f03be127ec38cfccf7ae5a69e.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

No one said they will go to Lucas and crush Chatard...but they have a really good shot in the South to make a decent run.

Reloading is the norm in the Hart era.

2012    11-3
2013    13-1
2014    10-2
2015    13-1
2016    9-1
2017    11-1
2018    9-3
2019    8-3
2020    7-4
2021    14-1

image.thumb.png.327d3b2f03be127ec38cfccf7ae5a69e.png

Eh, record doesn’t tell the whole story here in my opinion.

Until the last 3-4 years, Gibson had nearly a half dozen games on the schedule where they could simply show up and win handily.

Even an average/slightly above average GS team can roll out of bed and beat Princeton, Washington, Pike Central and Tell City annually.

One could make the argument that boosting their schedule the last 2-3 seasons benefitted then immensely when they arrived at LOS and had already seen teams on par with/better than Brebeuf.

Edited by temptation

18 minutes ago, temptation said:

Until the last 3-4 years, Gibson had nearly a half dozen games on the schedule where they could simply show up and win handily.

Even an average/slightly above average GS team can roll out of bed and beat Princeton, Washington, Pike Central and Tell City annually.

One could make the argument that boosting their schedule the last 2-3 seasons benefitted then immensely when they arrived at LOS and had already seen teams on par with/better than Brebeuf.

Won’t argue that regarding schedule changes. But, he is giving a HH team a lot of credit who still plays all those small PAC schools.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Lets not forget Tecumseh, Forest Park, South Spencer, North Posey.  Many 65-7 type GS walkover wins over the past decade.

Understood, you've got to play who is on your schedule.  GS has done a nice job upgrading their non con over the past several seasons.  But the bluebloods of Indiana high school football have built their records beating like size schools, or bigger schools.  

13 hours ago, HHF said:

Lets not forget Tecumseh, Forest Park, South Spencer, North Posey.  Many 65-7 type GS walkover wins over the past decade.

Understood, you've got to play who is on your schedule.  GS has done a nice job upgrading their non con over the past several seasons.  But the bluebloods of Indiana high school football have built their records beating like size schools, or bigger schools.  

you are trying to criticize the schedule of GS from 2018 and before….which is comical considering before 2018 we were playing Memorial, Heritage Hills and Southridge every year and we were playing KY 6A Henderson County.  

You also want to give credit to others despite them having much worse SoS than GS while you say GS plays down even though they don’t. 

make up your damn mind dude.  You can’t give credit to teams like Lawrenceburg and Heritage Hills and then turn around and try to say GS doesn’t play enough big schools despite it being over half their damn schedule….and anything you want to argue that involves their schedule from before 2018 is a laughable point considering they were still playing state champions and the fact that…ya know…..IT WAS 4 YEARS AGO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

you are trying to criticize the schedule of GS from 2018 and before….which is comical considering before 2018 we were playing Memorial, Heritage Hills and Southridge every year and we were playing KY 6A Henderson County.  

You also want to give credit to others despite them having much worse SoS than GS while you say GS plays down even though they don’t. 

make up your damn mind dude.  You can’t give credit to teams like Lawrenceburg and Heritage Hills and then turn around and try to say GS doesn’t play enough big schools despite it being over half their damn schedule….and anything you want to argue that involves their schedule from before 2018 is a laughable point considering they were still playing state champions and the fact that…ya know…..IT WAS 4 YEARS AGO

temptation made a very valid point.  i was just expanding on this list of lower class schools that have comprised a large bulk of the GS record over the past decade.  Im giving credit to all the schools.  They all appear in my Top 10.  (GS/LB/HH)  Fact is they are all relatively even in my view.  They will determine the outcome on the field, which is as it should be.  I do not subscribe to the theory that the defending state champ should open on top.  Why do all the research and conduct the interviews and watch the video if we are just going to do rankings based on past records.  I ranked two time undefeated Center Grove 4th in Class 6A and they are not bitching and whining and moaning about the ranking.  They lost the most highly recruited player they have ever had and a QB who is going to play in the SEC, as well as a DE who is going to Michigan State.  Chill out dude.  You're boys will be all right.  

Ive been suspended for much less than what you said there fella.  Hopefully the GID admins will do their job and sit you on the bench for a cool down.  

15 minutes ago, HHF said:

Ive been suspended for much less than what you said there fella.  Hopefully the GID admins will do their job and sit you on the bench for a cool down.  

If I get suspended…it was well worth waiting 10 years on this forum to get my first warning lmao 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Haha 2