Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Highschool Football Preseason Top 10 By Class

37 minutes ago, temptation said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you lumping Merrillville in with Cathedral?

The Pirates have been in their rightful place all along, no?

Depends on how you look at it. In 6A they are the smallest school, in 5A they are the largest. But their competition at the 5A level is more similar in enrollment than their 6A counterparts. 

With regard to Cathedral. I never look at their enrollment. I look at their district, which basically encompasses a metro of 2 million. I'm not picking on them, in fact I have the upmost respect for Catholic football teams, but lets be real here. They aren't some tiny little school that beats up on their three times larger counterparts. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BTF said:

With regard to Cathedral. I never look at their enrollment. I look at their district, which basically encompasses a metro of 2 million. I'm not picking on them, in fact I have the upmost respect for Catholic football teams, but lets be real here. They aren't some tiny little school that beats up on their three times larger counterparts.

They have less kids than Roncalli and about 150 more than Brebeuf yet I’ve never once seen you make the argument that Roncalli or Brebeuf need to be in 6A despite being located in the same county with the ability to draw from the same “2 million people”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

They have less kids than Roncalli and about 150 more than Brebeuf yet I’ve never once seen you make the argument that Roncalli or Brebeuf need to be in 6A despite being located in the same county with the ability to draw from the same “2 million people”.

Triggered.  Hang on tight boys.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Someone on here told me that Cathedral doesn't have feeder schools. If that's false, and Cathedral  draws only from their pipeline like Dwenger does, then I stand corrected. It was my understanding that Cathedral draws from all over. 

Roncalli is there .  Their talent is on par with Cathedral and they are a Top 5 team in the state.

Brebeuf not there yet but gaining.  Brebeuf does not have the football pedigree, history or deep gridiron DNA that CHS and RHS possess.  Im not sure yet if that is who they want to be.  

8 hours ago, BTF said:

So it sounds like it's the Plainfield/Decatur Central show down south? Will be interesting to see how they do against Merrillville. The Pirates are a good football team, make no mistake. They had the misfortune of running into the best two football programs Westfield has historically put on the field in '20 & '21. In 2019, they were upended by the eventual state champs. There might be have been 4 or 5 teams in the Indy area that they just would not have beaten, but I think they would have stacked up nicely against the rest of Indy. 

I'm happy that everyone's overlooking Harrison; especially with them in the south this go round.  The team's been improving over the past few years.  A couple of years ago, they went back and forth eventually dropping a 4-point decision to eventual 4A state champs Roncalli.  The last two years they've run into Zionsville early in post-season.  They have been playing a stronger schedule in the undercards than their NCC mates.  We'll get a chance to see early in the season what they'll look like as they will play LCC in scrimmage followed by West Lafayette and Plainfield for the first part of the season with a matchup against Jeff mid-season.

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral now playing schools their own size?? 

Uhh Cathedral hasn’t played in their enrollment based classification since the inception of the Success Factor and will have a thousand less kids than the next smallest 6A school. 

Cmon now

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Cmon now

Not only will this guy vehemently deny that Cathedral boasts HUGE advantages over its public school counterparts, he will actually consistently double down and cite their supposed “huge disadvantage” usually in terms of enrollment.

Someone should tell him, they are Goliath and not David.  I’ve tried.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Not only will this guy vehemently deny that Cathedral boasts HUGE advantages over its public school counterparts, he will actually consistently double down and cite their supposed “huge disadvantage” usually in terms of enrollment.

Someone should tell him, they are Goliath and not David.  I’ve tried.

Lol who said David vs Goliath? Certainly not me.

I was responding to the claim that Cathedral is now playing schools their own size. Cathedral hasn’t played in 4A in nearly a decade.

4 hours ago, BTF said:

Someone on here told me that Cathedral doesn't have feeder schools. If that's false, and Cathedral  draws only from their pipeline like Dwenger does, then I stand corrected. It was my understanding that Cathedral draws from all over. 

Who told you Cathedral doesn’t have feeder schools? They aren’t a diocesan school per se, but make no mistake, they draw the same kids from the same schools year after year. Brebeuf is in the same boat as they aren’t a diocesan school either.

This debate ended 10 years ago when Indianapolis and the surrounding counties went to open enrollment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HHF said:

Roncalli is there .  Their talent is on par with Cathedral and they are a Top 5 team in the state.

Brebeuf not there yet but gaining.  Brebeuf does not have the football pedigree, history or deep gridiron DNA that CHS and RHS possess.  Im not sure yet if that is who they want to be.  

Really hard to tell where Roncalli stands in comparison to Cathedral because Roncalli has ducked Cathedral for more than 10 years. My guess is they’re still light years behind. They didn’t even win 4A last year.

3 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Cmon now

C’mon now what? 

17 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Really hard to tell where Roncalli stands in comparison to Cathedral because Roncalli has ducked Cathedral for more than 10 years. My guess is they’re still light years behind. They didn’t even win 4A last year.

C’mon now what? 

I think most college recruiters would tell you that today, RHS has more high end college talent on hand than does CHS.  The Roncalli offensive and defensive lines have just been loaded in these last two recruiting cycles.

RHS decided to drop CHS a decade ago when the Irish pulled well out in front from a competitive standpoint.  RHS has closed the gap and is right there, in my opinion.  Mt Vernon is a helluva program and RHS had a bad night,  It happens.  

If the two were to square off in this years opener, Id call it a pick em.  

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Who told you Cathedral doesn’t have feeder schools? They aren’t a diocesan school per se, but make no mistake, they draw the same kids from the same schools year after year. Brebeuf is in the same boat as they aren’t a diocesan school either.

This debate ended 10 years ago when Indianapolis and the surrounding counties went to open enrollment. 

If I'm living somewhere in the Indy Metro with a kid who is a gifted football player and wanting him to go to a private school, then I'm sending him to Cathedral more than likely. Sure, I'll take a look at Roncalli and Chatard. But it all starts with the Irish. Kudos to that program for building it to where it is today. 

If Cathedral is producing the kind of athletes from only their student body and no kids enrolling there for football reasons, then they need to hold a strength and conditioning clinic for every Power Five football program in America.

Again, not picking on them, just love seeing them rumble with the big boys in 6A. Because after all, they are a "big boy" when it comes to football. Easily a Top 5 program statewide, not sure why they would even want to play down a class. That's not challenging your program in my opinion.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HHF said:

I think most college recruiters would tell you that today, RHS has more high end college talent on hand than does CHS.  The Roncalli offensive and defensive lines have just been loaded in these last two recruiting cycles.

RHS decided to drop CHS a decade ago when the Irish pulled well out in front from a competitive standpoint.  RHS has closed the gap and is right there, in my opinion.  Mt Vernon is a helluva program and RHS had a bad night,  It happens.  

You’re kidding? More high end talent than Cathedral? Cathedral has had a starter in each of the last two national title games, has now 3 active NFL players with Doyle’s retirement but will soon have a 4th when Emil Ekiyor is drafted next Spring.

Genuinely asking, does Roncalli have a single alumnus playing at a P5 school on scholarship right now? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

If I'm living somewhere in the Indy Metro with a kid who is a gifted football player and wanting him to go to a private school, then I'm sending him to Cathedral more than likely. Sure, I'll take a look at Roncalli and Chatard. But it all starts with the Irish. Kudos to that program for building it to where it is today. 

If Cathedral is producing the kind of athletes from only their student body and no kids enrolling there for football reasons, then they need to hold a strength and conditioning clinic for every Power Five football program in America.

Again, not picking on them, just love seeing them rumble with the big boys in 6A. Because after all, they are a "big boy" when it comes to football. Easily a Top 5 program statewide, not sure why they would even want to play down a class. That's not challenging your program in my opinion.  

What on Earth does that have to do with anything? Every single private school in Metro Indy has the ability to draw from the same 2 million people and theoretically so does every public school in Metro Indy with open enrollment. Cathedral is playing in 6A the next two years because they accumulated the necessary SF points to bump up now a second class. Please alert me when the IHSAA starts classifying schools by the desirability of one of its members athletic programs. Your comment last night about drawing from 2 million as a reason why Cathedral belongs in 6A can literally be applied to every other private school in the state, none of which I’ve seen you advocate for playing in 6A.

• Haha 1

You’re kidding? More high end talent than Cathedral? Cathedral has had a starter in each of the last two national title games, has now 3 active NFL players with Doyle’s retirement but will soon have a 4th when Emil Ekiyor is drafted next Spring.

Genuinely asking, does Roncalli have a single alumnus playing at a P5 school on scholarship right now? 

Keep in mind what I stated.  Im suggesting that RHS has caught up with Cathedral at the current moment.  Im not looking at 5 to 10 years into the past.

In the 2022 cycle, CHS had 3 players in the Top 62 (247 Recruiting) and RHS had 2 players.  RHS had the highest rated player in Sam Seacrest at #23

In the 2023 cycle, CHS has 4 players in the Top 39, RHS has 3.  RHS has the top rated player in Trevor Lauck at #4

RHS had the highest rated player between the two for the past two recruiting cycles. 

Based on the numbers and the rankings, Id call them close to dead even at the current moment.  

Fact is, over the past two recruiting cycles, if you were looking for the top college prospect between the two schools, you'd go to RHS first.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Edited by HHF

2 minutes ago, HHF said:

Keep in mind what I stated.  Im suggesting that RHS has caught up with Cathedral at the current moment.  Im not looking at 5 to 10 years into the past.

In the 2022 cycle, CHS had 3 players in the Top 62 (247 Recruiting) and RHS had 2 players.  RHS had the highest rated player in Sam Seacrest at #23

In the 2023 cycle, CHS has 4 players in the Top 39, RHS has 3.  RHS has the top rated player in Trevor Lauck at #4

RHS had the highest rated player between the two for the past two recruiting cycles. 

Based on the numbers and the rankings, Id call them close to dead even at the current moment.  

Fact is, over the past two recruiting cycles, if you were looking for the top college prospect between the two schools, you'd go to RHS first.  

And I'm still guessing Cathedral would have beaten Roncalli by 3+ scores any of the last two years and by more this coming year had they played. Roncalli isn't on the same stratosphere in overall talent as Cathedral. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

And I'm still guessing Cathedral would have beaten Roncalli by 3+ scores any of the last two years and by more this coming year had they played. Roncalli isn't on the same stratosphere in overall talent as Cathedral. 

Thats not what the numbers and the recruiting analysts say.  Think what you will.

14 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral is 28-2 the last two years with two 5A state titles. The numbers say it all. 

Roncalli is 25-2 with one state title over the same period.  Right on the Irish heels.  Both schools will be favored to win state again this year.  RHS will be 5A soon.  

9 hours ago, HHF said:

On May 5th Cathedral hosted over fifty college football programs an 100+ coaches for a football showcase day to highlight the upcoming 2022-2023 Irish Football team.

How many of these schools and coaches also visited RHS that day (since they were in town....)?

FSVSBPWXEAMeLBe.jfif

1 minute ago, HHF said:

Roncalli is 25-2 with one state title over the same period.  Right on the Irish heels.  Both schools will be favored to win state again this year.  RHS will be 5A soon.  

If you think recruiting talent and stars are most important in a game - Roncalli might struggle against New Pal. Check out the offers their current group has. 

I will go on record. College recruiting rankings has little to do with who wins a HS football game. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Agreed.....

Goliath

• Haha 2