Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Highschool Football Preseason Top 10 By Class

17 hours ago, foxbat said:

I'm happy that everyone's overlooking Harrison; especially with them in the south this go round.  The team's been improving over the past few years.  A couple of years ago, they went back and forth eventually dropping a 4-point decision to eventual 4A state champs Roncalli.  The last two years they've run into Zionsville early in post-season.  They have been playing a stronger schedule in the undercards than their NCC mates.  We'll get a chance to see early in the season what they'll look like as they will play LCC in scrimmage followed by West Lafayette and Plainfield for the first part of the season with a matchup against Jeff mid-season.

And the meek shall inherit 5A😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, HHF said:

Keep in mind what I stated.  Im suggesting that RHS has caught up with Cathedral at the current moment.  Im not looking at 5 to 10 years into the past.

In the 2022 cycle, CHS had 3 players in the Top 62 (247 Recruiting) and RHS had 2 players.  RHS had the highest rated player in Sam Seacrest at #23

In the 2023 cycle, CHS has 4 players in the Top 39, RHS has 3.  RHS has the top rated player in Trevor Lauck at #4

RHS had the highest rated player between the two for the past two recruiting cycles. 

Based on the numbers and the rankings, Id call them close to dead even at the current moment.  

Fact is, over the past two recruiting cycles, if you were looking for the top college prospect between the two schools, you'd go to RHS first.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=IN

Told ya. 

Triggered.

6 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

And I'm still guessing Cathedral would have beaten Roncalli by 3+ scores any of the last two years and by more this coming year had they played. Roncalli isn't on the same stratosphere in overall talent as Cathedral. 

Why is that? Why does a kid that goes to Cathedral have more talent then a kid that goes to Roncalli? Do the Irish do a better job of going after top rated talent? Or is Cathedral's strength and conditioning program just that good? If Cathedral's talent level is astronomically higher than their competitors, I'm just curious as to why. I can assure you that a Catholic kid from Dwenger is no different than one at Cathedral, yet Cathedral would have gone 10-0 against Dwenger over the last ten years. Why the big difference? 

1 minute ago, BTF said:

Why is that? Why does a kid that goes to Cathedral have more talent then a kid that goes to Roncalli? Do the Irish do a better job of going after top rated talent? Or is Cathedral's strength and conditioning program just that good? If Cathedral's talent level is astronomically higher than their competitors, I'm just curious as to why. I can assure you that a Catholic kid from Dwenger is no different than one at Cathedral, yet Cathedral would have gone 10-0 against Dwenger over the last ten years. Why the big difference? 

Why is Snider some much more talented than Northop? 

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Why is Snider some much more talented than Northop? 

I think Snider is just more committed to their football program than Northrop is. The Bruins have talent. They've always been solid at track and baseball. 

If Cathedral is more committed to their football program than Roncalli is, just say so. I'm not from Indy, I'm just wondering why their is the talent gap that you speak of. 

20 minutes ago, BTF said:

I'm just curious if the issue is Cathedral is actually more heterogeneous than the Roncallis and Chatards.  Most folks see Cathedral as a Catholic school, but it's more of a private school with a Catholic bent.  I'm not sure of the demographics of the school, but diocesan schools tend to be much more homogenous.  I know Brebeuf isn't a diocesan school, but I suspect it's much more Catholic than Cathedral.  Similarly Chatard, LCC, Guerin, and Roncalli.  That may well then have more of an SES impact across p/ps.  You find LOTS of Catholics at those diocesan schools that are scraping by to send their kids to those schools because of the Catholic education whereas I wonder if there's an SES difference between Cathedral and it's Catholic counterparts.  Again, I'm not sure if that's something at play or not.  Is there any info, either data-driven or anecdotal that speaks to the Catholic/non-Catholic mix at Cathedral vs. it's Catholic counterparts?

1 minute ago, BTF said:

I think Snider is just more committed to their football program than Northrop is. The Bruins have talent. They've always been solid at track and baseball. 

If Cathedral is more committed to their football program than Roncalli is, just say so. I'm not from Indy, I'm just wondering why their is the talent gap that you speak of. 

I'm not sure there is one specific reason as to why. I'd say looking at CYO over the last 10-15 years however is probably the biggest indicator. The northside deanery schools that feed into Cathedral, Chatard, and to an extent Brebeuf on average are usually significantly better than the average southside deanery schools that feed into Roncalli. Roncalli for the longest time ran an archaic offense under Coach Scifries that wasn't conducive to modern football that could have potentially been a turn off to prospective skill-position player. I can't tell you the last time Roncalli produced a D1 player at QB, RB, or WR. 

10 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I'm just curious if the issue is Cathedral is actually more heterogeneous than the Roncallis and Chatards.  Most folks see Cathedral as a Catholic school, but it's more of a private school with a Catholic bent.  I'm not sure of the demographics of the school, but diocesan schools tend to be much more homogenous.  I know Brebeuf isn't a diocesan school, but I suspect it's much more Catholic than Cathedral.  Similarly Chatard, LCC, Guerin, and Roncalli.  That may well then have more of an SES impact across p/ps.  You find LOTS of Catholics at those diocesan schools that are scraping by to send their kids to those schools because of the Catholic education whereas I wonder if there's an SES difference between Cathedral and it's Catholic counterparts.  Again, I'm not sure if that's something at play or not.  Is there any info, either data-driven or anecdotal that speaks to the Catholic/non-Catholic mix at Cathedral vs. it's Catholic counterparts?

Cathedral is a private school that offers a Catholic-based education. It is true that Cathedral isn't as homogenous as the Diocesan schools and that is because Cathedral doesn't have any direct feeders as it not part of the Diocese. I'd still say Cathedral is 70-75% catholic but does tend to take a lot more kids from public schools as it really has to to keep it's doors open. 

Brebeuf and Cathedral both probably fall around the same split for Catholic/Non-Catholic, if anything Brebeuf has less % of Catholics, as well as SES. A lot of kids from Carmel and the affluent parts of Indy (Williams Creek/Meridian-Kessler) attend Brebeuf as it's just down the road. 

Edited by Footballking16

The entire Cathedral football team and coaches attend mass the afternoon before every game they play in the fall.  I would assume the other Catholic high schools probably do the same thing...but at Cathedral it is a big-time tradition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave007 said:

The entire Cathedral football team and coaches attend mass the afternoon before every game they play in the fall.  I would assume the other Catholic high schools probably do the same thing...but at Cathedral it is a big-time tradition. 

Boom, there you have it.

Its the 12th man…

End of thread.

On 5/14/2022 at 4:14 PM, HHF said:

I appreciate your passion and your willingness and pride to carry the flag here on The GID for the GS crowd.  It frankly was the GS supporters who put Hoosier Highschool Football on the map and gave the site a chance to be relevant.  

I can guarantee you one thing.  Clicks never entered my mind as I was doing the rankings.  I did the same thing with every class.  Did the research, started with a list of 15 to 16 schools, and worked my way back to 10.  

Thanks for keeping it honest.  GS is lucky to have you on their side.

And that is simply because the Gibson Southern Football Booster page reposted your articles.  You should thank that page.

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

And that is simply because the Gibson Southern Football Booster page reposted your articles.  You should thank that page.

New interview coming with Coach Hart this week

12 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

The Gibson Southern Football Booster page already shared that as well.

That was just a primer.  Doing a full interview  Anything specific you would like for me to ask?

2 hours ago, Titan32 said:

No sir, you do a good job with that.

Agreed 

nobody else is out here interviewing practically every HC in Indiana.

the best things @HHFdoes are player spotlights  and coaching interviews.  Especially getting some of the lesser known teams some publicity. 

On 5/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, temptation said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you lumping Merrillville in with Cathedral?

The Pirates have been in their rightful place all along, no?

No. Merrillville technically has been a 5A on enrollment since about a week after the counts from 3 years ago. Technically Valpo should of been the 6A school. But it never got fixed. 

18 minutes ago, Piratefan101 said:

No. Merrillville technically has been a 5A on enrollment since about a week after the counts from 3 years ago. Technically Valpo should of been the 6A school. But it never got fixed. 

Name the D1 guys and their offers…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1