Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Class 6A - Sectional Favorites

Looking at the new lineups for Class 6A, here are my thoughts on who are the "favorites" this season. Feel free to add your own inputs and opinions!

Sectional 1 - Lafayette Jeff has to be ecstatic to no longer see Merrillville in their sectional. The Bronchos have had their past 3 seasons ended by the Pirates, and with Merrillville dropping to 5A, Jeff immediately becomes the favorite in the sectional. However, Crown Point has high expectations in Coach Buzea's second year at the helm and are right behind Jeff.

Sectional 2 - This is truly a crapshoot this year in my opinion. Carroll was tremendous last season, but losing a 3-year starting QB who was a STUD. Warsaw's loses quite a bit of production from all-purpose player Julius Jones, but bringing back a returning QB in the Bart Ball offense is extremely beneficial. The Kingsmen have been a .500 program the last 3 seasons (with no disrespect to their strong out of conference schedule), but their helmets still say Penn. And Elkhart followed up their sophomore year after consolidation going .500 and seeing Coach Shattuck leave the program. Coach Saint-Louis did a heck of a job turning around Peru the last 4 seasons, but who knows what to expect from the Lions this year. I will stick with Carroll as the favorite... but truly this sectional could be a toss-up between all 4 of these programs at this point. We'll know more come late September/early October obviously.

Sectional 3 - Hamilton Southeastern has been getting a lot of chatter on the boards this offseason, and deservedly so after their season last year and what they have coming back. The Royals are definitely the favorite at this point, but it will be interesting to see what we get from Fishers and Homestead. The Tigers saw some improvement in year 2 under Coach Funk, can that be continued? And the Spartans were down record wise last year (6-4), but their regular season losses were by 3 points to FW Luers, 3 points to FW Snider, and 7 points to FW Carroll. Those 3 teams shared the SAC title last season, and had a few plays/calls went Homestead's way, they easily could have won the SAC for a 3rd consecutive year.

Sectional 4 - It's truly a disappointment that these 4 teams ended up together. It makes plenty of sense geographically, I know. At this point, I'm going with Carmel as the favorite for this reason only: In the 9 seasons since the creation of class 6A, Carmel has been included in 6A north in 7 of those seasons. In those 7 seasons, Carmel was the 6A North representative 5 times. While Westfield has been down there back to back years, neither time did they have to go through the mighty Greyhounds to do so (taking absolutely NOTHING away from the Shamrocks). It is without a doubt a 1-2 race between these two. But Zionsville (back to back 5A North champs) could have something to say when it's all said and done.

Sectional 5 - For now, I have to go with Ben Davis as the favorites, but Brownsburg is right there as well. The Bulldogs FINALLY got a sectional championship last season after many years of postseason heartbreak, and while their overall record over the last few years has been better than the Giants, Ben Davis has failed to win a sectional only 1 time in the last 6 seasons. That continuous postseason success vs. postseason heartbreak (until last year) has me leaning toward Ben Davis. Avon seems to have fallen back from both of these programs quite a bit, where at one time I would have easily seen this as a 3-horse race.

Sectional 6 - The newcomers to 6A are the favorites here for obvious reasons. Cathedral is head and shoulders above each program in the sectional. Plenty has been said for the Irish for this upcoming year. Lawrence North and North Central both have the talent to push them, but I do not see it happening this year.

Sectional 7 - Much like sectional 6, Warren Central is leaps and bounds better than each of the teams in this sectional. However, the Warriors have not exactly been themselves the last two seasons. Gains must be made in Coach Kirschner's second season, otherwise they could open the door for one of these other teams. My money would be on Tech as the best option, but I just still think a mediocre Warren Central team can sleep walk through this sectional.

Sectional 8 - Center Grove. There's literally nothing more to be said, but I will add that the Trojans have won a sectional title 11 straight seasons. They can sleepwalk to 13 straight over these next two seasons.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

43 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Sectional 8 - Center Grove. There's literally nothing more to be said, but I will add that the Trojans have won a sectional title 11 straight seasons. They can sleepwalk to 13 straight over these next two seasons.

Out of curiosity....what is the record for consecutive sectional titles? 

I believe Hobart had something like 20 going back to Coach Howell?? Not sure if that was/is the record...

11 minutes ago, US31 said:

Out of curiosity....what is the record for consecutive sectional titles? 

I believe Hobart had something like 20 going back to Coach Howell?? Not sure if that was/is the record...

I believe Hobart won 19 in a row, which I think is the record. Funny thing is then they didn’t win a sectional for 20 years after that streak ended.