Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Conference Realignment - What's Coming in the Next Round?

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Not worth a response..............outside of "not worth a response."

I’m gonna start using this one when I have grandkids.

”Ya know what?  Your grandpa could have been an Olympian…if he only had more “passion.””

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Who do you think the is driving force behind CG’s youth league???

I have no doubt that Moore is in charge of everything from top to bottom. Not sure what I may have said to imply otherwise. 

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

I have no doubt that Moore is in charge of everything from top to bottom. Not sure what I may have said to imply otherwise. 

And whomever takes the reigns when Moore walks away will simply have to keep the train on the tracks as long as CG doesn’t overthink it.

Established culture, growing enrollment, sweet spot in terms of SES (I could create another thread entirely about this particular subject)…

Edited by temptation

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

And whomever takes the reigns when Moore walks away will simply have to keep the train on the tracks as long as CG doesn’t overthink it.

Established culture, growing enrollment, sweet spot in terms of SES (I could create another thread entirely about this particular subject)…

Easier said than done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Easier said than done. 

Tyson Moore, Coach Moore's son and current HC at Seymour could be a possible candidate. 

6132c0fc3a39f.image_-696x467.jpg

10 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Easier said than done. 

A good, sustained youth program takes A LOT more than most people on the outside imagine ... especially beyond the stuff on the field.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

A good, sustained youth program takes A LOT more than most people on the outside imagine ... especially beyond the stuff on the field.

That is a fact....but so many on the league BOD are former youth players, and former players under Coach Moore during his early years here...many on the 2000 state runner-up team.  Younger former players are already coaching...some with no kids in the league.  Other former players with no kids help with significant sponsorships to fund the program.  Ray Skillman's involvement and impact with the CGBFL has been beyond description.  Coach Moore has been heavily involved since day 1, and still is.  My prediction is that will remain even after he decides to do something else beside coach.  There is a culture for football in the land of Troy.  I don't worry one bit about the future......

Just now, Bash Riprock said:

That is a fact....but so many on the league BOD are former youth players, and former players under Coach Moore during his early years here...many on the 2000 state runner-up team.  Younger former players are already coaching...some with no kids in the league.  Other former players with no kids help with significant sponsorships to fund the program.  Ray Skillman's involvement and impact with the CGBFL has been beyond description.  Coach Moore has been heavily involved since day 1, and still is.  My prediction is that will remain even after he decides to do something else beside coach.  There is a culture for football in the land of Troy.  I don't worry one bit about the future......

Boom.  Prime example of not overthinking it.

Promote from within that very culture you speak of or being in someone (Mallory was mentioned by @DT) who understands it.

48 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

That is a fact....but so many on the league BOD are former youth players, and former players under Coach Moore during his early years here...many on the 2000 state runner-up team.  Younger former players are already coaching...some with no kids in the leagueOther former players with no kids help with significant sponsorships to fund the program.  Ray Skillman's involvement and impact with the CGBFL has been beyond description.  Coach Moore has been heavily involved since day 1, and still is.  My prediction is that will remain even after he decides to do something else beside coach.  There is a culture for football in the land of Troy.  I don't worry one bit about the future......

That's what were doing at LCC.  I spent 18 years there and started before I even had boys.  Many of the guys who coached with me stayed on with the youth program even after their boys had moved on to junior high, then high school, and even after they graduated.  We had a guy who was a mainstay for a long time there, that had two girls and no boys, but spent over two decades coaching in the youth program.  We also had LCC alums who stayed in the area and went to Purdue or Ivy Tech come out and help us coach while in college.  If you can build that kind of culture, it's big.  The interesting part at LCC was that, while the varsity coaches were always supportive of the youth program ... always lending players to come talk to the kids, coming out to watch the games, helping with the use of the varsity field for games, they always left the running of the youth program to the guys that had been doing it.  As a courtesy, we'd always ask incoming coaches, if there's anything that they wanted us doing at that youth level and they all said, do what you've been doing, teach good/safe skills, and keep the kids engaged and having fun ... we'll teach them the plays when they get to varsity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxbat said:

That's what were doing at LCC.  I spent 18 years there and started before I even had boys.  Many of the guys who coached with me stayed on with the youth program even after their boys had moved on to junior high, then high school, and even after they graduated.  We had a guy who was a mainstay for a long time there, that had two girls and no boys, but spent over two decades coaching in the youth program.  We also had LCC alums who stayed in the area and went to Purdue or Ivy Tech come out and help us coach while in college.  If you can build that kind of culture, it's big.  The interesting part at LCC was that, while the varsity coaches were always supportive of the youth program ... always lending players to come talk to the kids, coming out to watch the games, helping with the use of the varsity field for games, they always left the running of the youth program to the guys that had been doing it.  As a courtesy, we'd always ask incoming coaches, if there's anything that they wanted us doing at that youth level and they all said, do what you've been doing, teach good/safe skills, and keep the kids engaged and having fun ... we'll teach them the plays when they get to varsity. 

A huge reason why LCC has been a premier program in the state for years.  Its about culture, and that starts young and it continues on when people that have graduated from the program wish to come back and continue to invest.  Yes, its about a feeder, but it beyond the feeder...its the level of involvement and the expectation for success that develops within the community.  That is why I contend, there are a number of variables when it comes to sustained successful HS programs....and its way more than $$ and enrollment.  As FB16 has stated and proven, those 2 variables by themselves do not guarantee success.  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 3:13 PM, BTF said:

Top 4. There is a reason Warren Central (9), Ben Davis (9), and Carmel (9) have 27 state championships between them. Coincidence? I think not. Enrollment? Highly probable. Carmel and Warren Central rank 1 & 2 in enrollment. Ben Davis was 3 or 4 during their run of 9 championships. Let's not pretend that enrollment doesn't play and ENORMOUS factor. 

Ben Davis is larger than Warren.

• Like 1

Anyway, to pull this thread away from being a MIC thread-

I do think that we shall see CI dissolve in a few short years, and shall See Southport go to the HCC, see BHSN go to the Hoosier Hills, and see BHSS and Columbus North join the Mid-State Conference.

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

A huge reason why LCC has been a premier program in the state for years.  Its about culture, and that starts young and it continues on when people that have graduated from the program wish to come back and continue to invest.  Yes, its about a feeder, but it beyond the feeder...its the level of involvement and the expectation for success that develops within the community.  That is why I contend, there are a number of variables when it comes to sustained successful HS programs....and its way more than $$ and enrollment.  As FB16 has stated and proven, those 2 variables by themselves do not guarantee success.  

“Expectation for success that develops within the community” leads to commitment by families in the community which is directly tied to affluence in the community.

Took the long route but it still comes full circle.

It IS more than money and enrollment but those are still 1-2.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, temptation said:

It doesn’t fail.  We just disagree on the degree of its impact.

perhaps that is a fairer statement....we concur they are variables, but may not align on their impact along with the other variables needed for sustained success.

I can get there with your statement...

• Like 1