Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mercy rule a few years

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

So, you think the mercy rule is a good idea, but it should be extended to the first half?

OK, we gotta give folks time to at least get home before having to run back to the stadium to pick up the kids.  We had gotten used to dropping the kids off at the football game, then going to eat, then going to pick the kids up after dinner.  I recall the first time that Jeff hit that mercy rule with someone.  We'd just ordered and the kids texted and said, "Second half just started and they said something about a running clock."  My wife asked what that was and I said, "We've got 24 minutes to have Applebee's cook it, we eat it, and we get back to Jeff before the kids start lighting up the chat with 'Where are you?"  If we go to first half, we won't have time to make it through the Taco Bell line on some games. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, Old Man High Pants said:

Which like I said before turns into nothing but a glorified JV game. Playing on Friday night doesn't mean anything when everyone is trying to get the game over as quickly as possible, coaches & players are mentally checking out, and fans are emptying the stands. 

Saturday morning is not Friday night.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bobref said:

So, you think the mercy rule is a good idea, but it should be extended to the first half?

Yes, mercy rule is a great idea, but we shouldn't have to wait till the second half to start it. Doesn't matter to me if we keep it at 35 points, make it 42 or 49. 

On 6/19/2022 at 10:06 PM, foxbat said:

OK, we gotta give folks time to at least get home before having to run back to the stadium to pick up the kids.  We had gotten used to dropping the kids off at the football game, then going to eat, then going to pick the kids up after dinner.  I recall the first time that Jeff hit that mercy rule with someone.  We'd just ordered and the kids texted and said, "Second half just started and they said something about a running clock."  My wife asked what that was and I said, "We've got 24 minutes to have Applebee's cook it, we eat it, and we get back to Jeff before the kids start lighting up the chat with 'Where are you?"  If we go to first half, we won't have time to make it through the Taco Bell line on some games. 🙂

Although this is a great argument to go back to no mercy rule.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 10:06 PM, foxbat said:

How far away is that Applebees? The fastest game with mercy rule I've worked is still an hour and 50 minutes. If the second half is 25 minutes (2 12 minute quarters plus a one minute quarter break) that means it took almost 90 minutes for you to get to the Applebees and place your order. It maybe shortens the game average about 15-20 minutes because the first half with the blowout can be longer than average with all the scoring.

3 minutes ago, JustRules said:

How far away is that Applebees? The fastest game with mercy rule I've worked is still an hour and 50 minutes. If the second half is 25 minutes (2 12 minute quarters plus a one minute quarter break) that means it took almost 90 minutes for you to get to the Applebees and place your order. It maybe shortens the game average about 15-20 minutes because the first half with the blowout can be longer than average with all the scoring.

We have five kids, so with the Jeff games it would have been a couple of kids at that one, then dropping off a couple others off at another location.  It'd be nice if we could drop them off and get straight to dinner, but that never happens.  Kind of like right now with travel baseball and football.  It'd be great of they all worked out logistically, but they always start/stop with the least amount of opportunity to maximize time ... unless you are considering maximizing time that I have to spend in the car, in a parking lot, or on the road. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2022 at 2:57 PM, foxbat said:

We have five kids, so with the Jeff games it would have been a couple of kids at that one, then dropping off a couple others off at another location.  It'd be nice if we could drop them off and get straight to dinner, but that never happens.  Kind of like right now with travel baseball and football.  It'd be great of they all worked out logistically, but they always start/stop with the least amount of opportunity to maximize time ... unless you are considering maximizing time that I have to spend in the car, in a parking lot, or on the road. 

Oh, and you haven't been to the Applebee's that Foxbat is referring to...  It sometimes takes 90 minutes to get the appetizer!

Edited by nmsu_aggie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Exactly the reason IO prefers the dive bar off the beatin path. 

Silver Dollar?

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I assure you, if I’m ever in the area…..

I was like 40/41 before I made it to all the remaining “famous” local bars. 

I'm not sure they allow anyone who lives outside a 6 block radius. Last guy I talked to who went there was told to leave, and he works in town.

Edited by gonzoron