Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Thoughts on Tweaking Success Factor

Not trying to start an argument with all of the "punishing good programs" advocates but I look at the Success Factor as a way for teams of similar ability in the same  class for the IHSAA State Tournament in order to improve the competitive balance. And since the State Tournament is sanctioned by the IHSAA, they can decide which teams are placed in which class.

Is the current Success Factor system perfect? No. But it's an improvement over the Enrollment-only system in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Not trying to start an argument with all of the "punishing good programs" advocates but I look at the Success Factor as a way for teams of similar ability in the same  class for the IHSAA State Tournament in order to improve the competitive balance. And since the State Tournament is sanctioned by the IHSAA, they can decide which teams are placed in which class.

Is the current Success Factor system perfect? No. But it's an improvement over the Enrollment-only system in my opinion.

If you do the right thing, but for the wrong reason, does it matter?

7 hours ago, slice60 said:

Don't you want to test yourselves against competition around the same level? More than half of Dwenger's schedule has always been against 5A-6A schools so why not face them in the tournament too?

If the IHSAA ever put that Private/Charter Multiplier in place, there would be an total uproar. Wish it would happen but we all know it won't.

We struggle against Wayne, Mishawaka, and Central. They are being challenged. We could have lost each one. We just over came. Now with that said we lose those kids to graduation.  So the young kids have to play up because of the class before them. How is that far? Let's flip this doesn't the Leo, New Haven, Angola want to be challenged? I guess it come down to how we each see it. Should Alabama or Clemson move up to the NFL? 

16 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

We struggle against Wayne, Mishawaka, and Central. They are being challenged. We could have lost each one. We just over came. Now with that said we lose those kids to graduation.  So the young kids have to play up because of the class before them. How is that far? Let's flip this doesn't the Leo, New Haven, Angola want to be challenged? I guess it come down to how we each see it. Should Alabama or Clemson move up to the NFL? 

A lot of schools are in the class they are because of what other kids do though. Our enrollment is impacted pretty significantly by a number of kids who are physically and/or mentally unable to function much less play a sport. We get kids who transfer in, including just last week, from FW that get kicked out of their school because of what they did. How is it fair we are in a class that has more students than us with that population not having any impact on their enrollment? If your argument is that kids are kids, you are more than welcome to visit. Better hurry, there are only two days left to do so this year. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Mebuck said:

Hey suck it up Buttercup! If we would go by the Illinois rule, you would be in 5A all the time!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Football Dog said:

Hey suck it up Buttercup! If we would go by the Illinois rule, you would be in 5A all the time!

Exactly. Every state federation has to implement procedures to balance the competition in the State Tournaments. The IHSAA incorporated the Success Factor earlier this decade. Illinois has a 1.65x Multiplier. Other states do other things. I suppose some states go strictly on enrollment. There is no perfect answer. For that matter, enrollment isn't a perfect benchmark. There may be 2 schools with the same enrollment but if School A gets twice as many kids to try out for a certain sport than School B, then School A will probably have a much stronger team. 

I love the folks who say that their kids worked harder & overcame adversity to win state titles but follow it up by saying it's unfair to make the younger kids play at a higher class in the State Tournament because they happen to be "less talented". Should the IHSAA make judgement calls based upon JV records or something? 

Several programs have enjoyed ALOT of success in higher classes after bumping up. 

After winning 5 of 7 state titles in 4A, Cathedral went up to 5A & immediately won consecutive titles  in the higher class. Then they won consecutive Sectionals at 6A before being bumped down (which wouldn't have happened under the new Success Factor '2 points & you stay up' rule). 

New Pal football will remain in 5A for the 5th &6th straight seasons because they were runner-ups in 2015 & champs in 2018.

Col East bumped up to 5A at the same time. Took 2nd in 2016, champs in 2017, final 4 in 2018 so they will jump all the way up to 6A for the next 2 seasons.

In boys basketball, Marquette bumped up to 2A 4 years ago-- they have won 4 Sectionals & 1 Regional in that span so they will stay in 2A.

In baseball, LCC took the 1A state title in 2004,  2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013. After bumping up to 2A, they have won 5 straight Sectionals, 4 Regionals, & 2 Semistates. Seems fair to say they should NOT be playing 1A anymore.