Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Blake Fisher OT Avon 2021: Adds Alabama

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Impressive list:  https://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Fisher-46056569/

Fisher and Karlaftis look to be headlining the 2021 class in Indiana 

This is a golden opportunity for Tom Allen to show off his recruiting chops by keeping this big dude in state.  We have seen so many blue chip Indiana recruits go out of state and fail.  Is it better to ride the bench for 5 years at Alabama and get a national Title ring or be a 3 year starter at IU and build a path to the NFL? ( Dan Feeney/Jason Spriggs/Roger saffold/James Brewer)

31 minutes ago, DT said:

This is a golden opportunity for Tom Allen to show off his recruiting chops by keeping this big dude in state.  We have seen so many blue chip Indiana recruits go out of state and fail.  Is it better to ride the bench for 5 years at Alabama and get a national Title ring or be a 3 year starter at IU and build a path to the NFL? ( Dan Feeney/Jason Spriggs/Roger saffold/James Brewer)

Yeah, but he’d have that prized Alabama diploma. [insert sarcasm emoticon here].

If he goes to Alabama, he gets name recognition. What player wouldn't want to say............"I played for Alabama!" He also gets an opportunity to go to the playoffs every year that he is there.

If he goes to Indiana, he's probably a four year starter if he were to stay that long. He would be there for two years, showcase himself as a first round draft pick, then opt for the NFL one or two years sooner than he would had at Alabama. He could also say that he was an instrumental part of IU resurgence. Kids are always better off if they stay home. They will normally  have unconditional  support from the fan base. When you choose to play for a school 500 miles away, you just become another body and the fan base is more likely to turn on you.

Notre Dame? Best of both worlds. Notre Dame's name recognition is on a level playing field with Alabama. Notre Dame is also known for producing first round offensive linemen. And when it's all said and done with, the education he will get at Notre Dame will pretty much guarantee him success after football.

Notre Dame is the best place for this kid. But it certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if he ended up at Indiana. Is Purdue in the running?

Recruits................stay home and represent your home state!

Guys. Saban is 67.....a lot of people tend to think he is towards the end of his reign.  By the time 2021 rolls around, he could be retired.

there is incredible pull for going to Alabama but I think when saban retires the recruits may spread themselves out (a very good thing).  I look to see B10 schools on the rise...and of course Notre Dame up there per usual.

im not sure about Indiana doing much...but I think Purdue could surprise people...especially with a great class this year.  Yanni Karlaftis will likely go to Purdue with his big brother.  Fisher I think may find his way there too.  Of course Notre Dame is a great place to go as an OL too 

congrats to fisher on another offer though.  Very impressive list.  Hopefully he stays in Indiana!...just probably away from Bloomington lol 

• 1 month later...

I would expect Valpo's Cooper Jones to also end up at Notre Dame if offered. His father Eric (a Portage grad) was a very good DL for Notre Dame in the late '80's/early '90's. Congrats to Fisher. That's an education that will really pay dividends in his post College life if the NFL isn't in the cards.

• Like 1

I'm sure Bryant Fitzgerald and Sampson James have been in his ear about IU.  If healthy James is expected to play this season and Fitzgerald accomplished more than I thought he would as a red-shirt freshman.  Avon has a reputation for producing good offensive lineman.

On a side note, I noticed Brandon Peters, who announced he was leaving Michigan, is joining Illinois as a grad transfer so he will probably step right in as the starter at QB.