Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Transfers

3 hours ago, Grover said:

I saw where the Plainfield QB is transferring to Westfield. Anybody know how good he will be?

Not sure. But he did put up good numbers as a freshman. Westfield does have some QB’s already there and expecting to play. Ballard and Gilbert. Sons of Chris Ballard and Head coach Gilbert. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Not sure. But he did put up good numbers as a freshman. Westfield does have some QB’s already there and expecting to play. Ballard and Gilbert. Sons of Chris Ballard and Head coach Gilbert. 

Sounds like a crowded room to me.

1 hour ago, Mebuck said:

Dwenger's QB transferred to North Side. 

Probably so he could throw to this guy:

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting-dream-offer-for-five-star-brauntae-johnson

Notre Dame Is The "Dream School" For Elite In-State Athlete Brauntae Johnson

Notre Dame is the dream school for Brauntae Johnson, who is just now starting to build a bond with the Irish staff

Notre Dame has historically had a fence around the state of Indiana. There has been an occasional misevaluation but simply put, the program needs to land every player that they want in the state. In the 2024 class, there is an in-state talent who ranks as one of the top players in the 2024 recruiting class. 

Following his performance at this weekend’s Irish Invasion, the Irish staff extended an offer to Fort Wayne (Ind.) North Side athlete Brauntae Johnson. That offer from Notre Dame held a lot of weight for the Indiana standout. 

“Getting the offer, for me, was a very good feeling,” Johnson said. “They have always been my dream school and are right in my home state.”

Early on, recruiting can be an eye-opening experience. For Johnson, he has been taking everything in stride. He is learning a lot, very quickly. 

“Recruiting has been good really,” Johnson explained. “Right now, I am just getting my feet wet with it. I’m just learning as much as I can.”

Heading into the Irish Invasion, Johnson hadn’t had a ton of contact with the Notre Dame staff. That looks to change quickly. 

“Before the camp (the staff) came to my school a couple of times,” he said. “Other than that, I wasn't in contact as much with them as I will be now moving forward.”

With an evolving offer list, Johnson is begging to garner a ton of national attention. With the obvious love for Notre Dame, they should be considered the early favorites. It will, however, not be without a fight.

“I would say that Notre Dame, Indiana, Wisconsin and Cincinnati are doing the best job right now,” Johnson said. “It’s been great getting to know so many great coaches.” 

When you have a nationally ranked recruit in the state, Notre Dame has to close on them if the fit makes sense. They made the first move this past weekend. 

Johnson is currently rated as a consensus four-star recruit and the No. 1 player in the state of Indiana for the 2024 recruiting cycle. 247Sports has the talented two-way athlete ranked as a five-star recruit and the No. 30 overall player and No. 4 wideout in the country in the 2024 class. Although every major recruiting platform ranks him as a wide receiver, the Notre Dame staff prefers him on the defensive side of the football. 

The 6-3, 170-pound athlete has an expanding offer list of prospective schools. Aside from the recent offer from the Irish, Johnson also boasts offers from Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Indiana, and Kansas among others. 

In seven games as a sophomore, Johnson led the team with 29 receptions and three touchdowns, while finishing second in receiving yards with 297 yards. He is also a talented return man for North Side, averaging 33.1 yards per kick return. Johnson also recorded 29 total tackles and forced four fumbles on the defensive side of the football.

Johnson is also a standout basketball player that averaged 18.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore. He averaged 17.3 points per game and 6.5 rebounds as a freshman for North Side.

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Probably so he could throw to this guy:

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting-dream-offer-for-five-star-brauntae-johnson

Notre Dame Is The "Dream School" For Elite In-State Athlete Brauntae Johnson

Notre Dame is the dream school for Brauntae Johnson, who is just now starting to build a bond with the Irish staff

Notre Dame has historically had a fence around the state of Indiana. There has been an occasional misevaluation but simply put, the program needs to land every player that they want in the state. In the 2024 class, there is an in-state talent who ranks as one of the top players in the 2024 recruiting class. 

Following his performance at this weekend’s Irish Invasion, the Irish staff extended an offer to Fort Wayne (Ind.) North Side athlete Brauntae Johnson. That offer from Notre Dame held a lot of weight for the Indiana standout. 

“Getting the offer, for me, was a very good feeling,” Johnson said. “They have always been my dream school and are right in my home state.”

Early on, recruiting can be an eye-opening experience. For Johnson, he has been taking everything in stride. He is learning a lot, very quickly. 

“Recruiting has been good really,” Johnson explained. “Right now, I am just getting my feet wet with it. I’m just learning as much as I can.”

Heading into the Irish Invasion, Johnson hadn’t had a ton of contact with the Notre Dame staff. That looks to change quickly. 

“Before the camp (the staff) came to my school a couple of times,” he said. “Other than that, I wasn't in contact as much with them as I will be now moving forward.”

With an evolving offer list, Johnson is begging to garner a ton of national attention. With the obvious love for Notre Dame, they should be considered the early favorites. It will, however, not be without a fight.

“I would say that Notre Dame, Indiana, Wisconsin and Cincinnati are doing the best job right now,” Johnson said. “It’s been great getting to know so many great coaches.” 

When you have a nationally ranked recruit in the state, Notre Dame has to close on them if the fit makes sense. They made the first move this past weekend. 

Johnson is currently rated as a consensus four-star recruit and the No. 1 player in the state of Indiana for the 2024 recruiting cycle. 247Sports has the talented two-way athlete ranked as a five-star recruit and the No. 30 overall player and No. 4 wideout in the country in the 2024 class. Although every major recruiting platform ranks him as a wide receiver, the Notre Dame staff prefers him on the defensive side of the football. 

The 6-3, 170-pound athlete has an expanding offer list of prospective schools. Aside from the recent offer from the Irish, Johnson also boasts offers from Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Indiana, and Kansas among others. 

In seven games as a sophomore, Johnson led the team with 29 receptions and three touchdowns, while finishing second in receiving yards with 297 yards. He is also a talented return man for North Side, averaging 33.1 yards per kick return. Johnson also recorded 29 total tackles and forced four fumbles on the defensive side of the football.

Johnson is also a standout basketball player that averaged 18.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore. He averaged 17.3 points per game and 6.5 rebounds as a freshman for North Side.

SPOT ON!!! 

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

Notre Dame has historically had a fence around the state of Indiana. There has been an occasional misevaluation but simply put, the program needs to land every player that they want in the state.

Huh? Stopped reading the article when something so obviously not true is written.

3 minutes ago, Grover said:

Dasan McCullough

Don’t think ND recruited Dasan overly aggressive and he was a Kansas resident when he committed to Ohio State initially very early in his high school career. 

Not a ND fan by any means, but Notre Dame is typically selective towards the in-state kids they covet and to Bob’s point, they win almost all the battles with kids they make priorities. Pete Werner is probably the last kid Notre Dame really wanted (at one point was committed to ND) but ultimately flipped to Ohio State.

10 minutes ago, Grover said:

Okay.  I'm not going to argue with you over what "really wanted" means.   They did offer McCullough.  They also offered Caden Curry.

They offered 177 high school seniors in the class of 2022 per 247 knowing only 20-25 would eventually commit. Can’t prioritize everyone and neither McCullough (who wasn’t an in-state kid at the time he was offered) nor Curry were high priority targets. There’s a difference and that’s what Bob is alluding too.

https://247sports.com/college/notre-dame/Season/2022-Football/Offers/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Trying to remember the last in-state player the Irish recruited hard and didn’t get.

I don't follow Notre Dame closely.  There are six Indiana players on their roster. Doesn't sound like a wall.  Pete Werner flipped from ND to OSU. Everyone in the nation wanted Curry. Emil Ekiyor has started most of his career at Alabama. That's off the top of my head. Do they only recruit the guys they know they can get?

3 minutes ago, coachkj said:

I don't follow Notre Dame closely.  There are six Indiana players on their roster. Doesn't sound like a wall.  Pete Werner flipped from ND to OSU. Everyone in the nation wanted Curry. Emil Ekiyor has started most of his career at Alabama. That's off the top of my head. Do they only recruit the guys they know they can get?

That’s Bob’s point. ND is extremely selective with who they covet in-state. Notre Dame extended 3 offers to in-state prospects for this incoming class; Joey Tanona, Ashton Craig, and Cayden Curry, 4 offers if you count Dasan McCullough who played his senior year in Bloomington but was a Kansas resident when ND offered. Two of the three committed and Curry was never heavily pursued by Notre Dame despite receiving an offer.

17 minutes ago, coachkj said:

Also, Notre Dame never offered Ekiyor. Was committed to Michigan for the longest time and flipped to Alabama close to signing day. Had Markese Stepp in the same class as Ekiyor but had to rescind their offer due to grades.

Edited by Footballking16

Three recent Fort Wayne kids said no to the Irish. Austin Mack (Ohio State), Austin Robertson (Michigan State), and Mack Hippenhammer (Penn State). In all fairness, Hippenhammers offer didn't come until the last minute. That was a bad run for Fort Wayne, considering most kids prior to them accepted the Irish offers. 

Couple of Indy area players in the early to mid 2000’s decommitted from ND.  LB/DL Van Alstyne (CG) ended up at Michigan and Ryan Baker DL (Chatard) to Purdue.  But I agree overall, ND typically gets the Indiana kids they target. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Couple of Indy area players in the early to mid 2000’s decommitted from ND.  LB/DL Van Alstyne (CG) ended up at Michigan and Ryan Baker DL (Chatard) to Purdue.  But I agree overall, ND typically gets the Indiana kids they target. 

Keep in mind there are a lot of kids they just can’t recruit due to admission standards.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, coachkj said:

Going back to my original post.  To say Notre Dame has a "fence around Indiana", when they barely recruit the state is a bogus statement.

Ssshhhhh! The “fence” is a secret! I’m sure the writer of that story has been disciplined for letting the cat out of the bag.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Bobref said:

Keep in mind there are a lot of kids they just can’t recruit due to admission standards.

Yeah...I didn't say otherwise.

I know Van Alstyne had nothing to do with academics....not at all.  Stellar student.  I think it was more to coaching transitions during his recruiting process.  I believe he committeed under Davie, then changed to Michigan following his leaving ND.

• Like 1