Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Transfers

13 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Nah...if he were, he would spell it MacCullough. 😀  Both are Celtic though......so there is that. 

McCullough's how they spell it in Scotlandtucky. 😃

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:30 PM, Bobref said:

Probably so he could throw to this guy:

https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-recruiting-dream-offer-for-five-star-brauntae-johnson

Notre Dame Is The "Dream School" For Elite In-State Athlete Brauntae Johnson

Notre Dame is the dream school for Brauntae Johnson, who is just now starting to build a bond with the Irish staff

Notre Dame has historically had a fence around the state of Indiana. There has been an occasional misevaluation but simply put, the program needs to land every player that they want in the state. In the 2024 class, there is an in-state talent who ranks as one of the top players in the 2024 recruiting class. 

Following his performance at this weekend’s Irish Invasion, the Irish staff extended an offer to Fort Wayne (Ind.) North Side athlete Brauntae Johnson. That offer from Notre Dame held a lot of weight for the Indiana standout. 

“Getting the offer, for me, was a very good feeling,” Johnson said. “They have always been my dream school and are right in my home state.”

Early on, recruiting can be an eye-opening experience. For Johnson, he has been taking everything in stride. He is learning a lot, very quickly. 

“Recruiting has been good really,” Johnson explained. “Right now, I am just getting my feet wet with it. I’m just learning as much as I can.”

Heading into the Irish Invasion, Johnson hadn’t had a ton of contact with the Notre Dame staff. That looks to change quickly. 

“Before the camp (the staff) came to my school a couple of times,” he said. “Other than that, I wasn't in contact as much with them as I will be now moving forward.”

With an evolving offer list, Johnson is begging to garner a ton of national attention. With the obvious love for Notre Dame, they should be considered the early favorites. It will, however, not be without a fight.

“I would say that Notre Dame, Indiana, Wisconsin and Cincinnati are doing the best job right now,” Johnson said. “It’s been great getting to know so many great coaches.” 

When you have a nationally ranked recruit in the state, Notre Dame has to close on them if the fit makes sense. They made the first move this past weekend. 

Johnson is currently rated as a consensus four-star recruit and the No. 1 player in the state of Indiana for the 2024 recruiting cycle. 247Sports has the talented two-way athlete ranked as a five-star recruit and the No. 30 overall player and No. 4 wideout in the country in the 2024 class. Although every major recruiting platform ranks him as a wide receiver, the Notre Dame staff prefers him on the defensive side of the football. 

The 6-3, 170-pound athlete has an expanding offer list of prospective schools. Aside from the recent offer from the Irish, Johnson also boasts offers from Wisconsin, Purdue, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Indiana, and Kansas among others. 

In seven games as a sophomore, Johnson led the team with 29 receptions and three touchdowns, while finishing second in receiving yards with 297 yards. He is also a talented return man for North Side, averaging 33.1 yards per kick return. Johnson also recorded 29 total tackles and forced four fumbles on the defensive side of the football.

Johnson is also a standout basketball player that averaged 18.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore. He averaged 17.3 points per game and 6.5 rebounds as a freshman for North Side.

They are on the same 7on7 team. But they are saying the family had a problem with BD.

I think they found any excuse to make that happen.  That's my opinion.  However if history repeats itself every play who transfer out of BD doesn't do well against the Saints.  Never piss off that defense. 

On 6/12/2022 at 9:45 PM, BTF said:

Three recent Fort Wayne kids said no to the Irish. Austin Mack (Ohio State), Austin Robertson (Michigan State), and Mack Hippenhammer (Penn State). In all fairness, Hippenhammers offer didn't come until the last minute. That was a bad run for Fort Wayne, considering most kids prior to them accepted the Irish offers. 

I am not sold on Hippenhammer as a P5 player, he has struggled. Maybe he would have turned out different at ND??

12 minutes ago, psaboy said:

I am not sold on Hippenhammer as a P5 player, he has struggled. Maybe he would have turned out different at ND??

He had a hell of 2021 with Miami Redhawks. As far as being a P5 player, I think it just depends on which school. 

On 6/21/2022 at 1:39 PM, DannyT said:

Where did you read that at if I may ask?

Twitter. Also have some people within different programs. Lots of talk. Not sure why all of the transfers from lots of places lately. Any info on the Warren transfers?

7 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Twitter. Also have some people within different programs. Lots of talk. Not sure why all of the transfers from lots of places lately. Any info on the Warren transfers?

As far as I know only one transfer to NP and one to Cathedral. Neither have been cleared yet.

1 hour ago, DannyT said:

As far as I know only one transfer to NP and one to Cathedral. Neither have been cleared yet.

Would be interesting to know the reasons for transfers. Whether it’s a move from the family or just wanting to play elsewhere. I miss the days of kids playing in the community that they grew up in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Would be interesting to know the reasons for transfers. Whether it’s a move from the family or just wanting to play elsewhere. I miss the days of kids playing in the community that they grew up in.

The trickle down effect of the NCAA transfer portal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

The trickle down effect of the NCAA transfer portal.

I don't know about other transfers, and I can understand that thought process, but I personally know that isn't the reason for the two transfers out of Warren to other schools. One was already a starter and the other would have been a starter 2022.

42 minutes ago, DannyT said:

I don't know about other transfers, and I can understand that thought process, but I personally know that isn't the reason for the two transfers out of Warren to other schools. One was already a starter and the other would have been a starter 2022.

So, leaving starting gigs at a 6A school…

Edited by temptation

2 hours ago, temptation said:

So, leaving starting gigs at a 6A school…

Yes unfortunately. There is a lot happening in the school not directly related to the football program. It was just better for them mentally and safety wise. I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyT said:

Yes unfortunately. There is a lot happening in the school not directly related to the football program. It was just better for them mentally and safety wise. I will leave it at that.

I’m sure there are some NCAA transfers prompted by considerations other than playing time or NIL. But there’s no doubt the creation of the transfer portal has led to a different mentality among many: “If it’s not working for me here, rather than buckle down and work harder, I’ll just go somewhere else.”

18 minutes ago, DannyT said:

Sorry to hear…say it louder for the people in the back who are deniers/non-believers.

@BTF, @Footballking16, @HoosierFB_JG…ball is in your court.

Edited by temptation

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I’m sure there are some NCAA transfers prompted by considerations other than playing time or NIL. But there’s no doubt the creation of the transfer portal has led to a different mentality among many: “If it’s not working for me here, rather than buckle down and work harder, I’ll just go somewhere else.”

I agree. And with NIL now allowed by the OHSAA and considered in other states it is probably going to get worse.

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Inner-city kids moving to suburban schools???

Gee never heard of such a concept. 

The frequency with which it is happening has and will continue to increase.

STARTERS for WARREN CENTRAL are departing for the suburbs.  Don’t be so dense.

Wanna continue that SES rabbit hole?