Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Transfers

I know this probably isn’t going to be a popular opinion….

but like

schools don’t own any of these kids and these kids and families don’t owe a damn thing back.  They should be able to play anywhere they want for any reason.  

coaches shouldn’t be having conversations with kids on other teams granted…but like….IM SO TIRED OF READING ABOUT RECRUITING AND TRANSFERS LIKE THESE FAMILIES OWE YOUR SCHOOL/TEAM SOMETHING. 

Families pay taxes to support these schools, volunteer so much time to these schools and not just for sports……they are legally obligated to send their child to a school

and yet time and time again people cry foul or say whatever about these kids like they own them and the rights to them playing.  Stop that.  They are not your kids and they should be able to make decisions about their own futures on their own with their own families.  

Instead it’s always a looming cloud of the IHSAA and Internet personalities trying to influence what these kids do….and both have been incredibly inconsistent in their stances on the subject for years. 

again I know this probably won’t be popular but I really don’t care.  This isn’t even about any particular team or kids…nobody owes your team or school anything 

some of these coaches/schools/fans spend more time trying to control kids than they do trying to make their school the best option for these kids….nobody actually cares about the best interest of the kids…they care about the best interest of their school and trophies in their halls 

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 9:39 PM, Indiana Fan said:

Read where New Pal had quite a bit of transfers. Interesting…

Any word or info into the new New Pal players for this fall?

I believe NP had two transfers out.  A LB that probably would have seen the field this year, and a backup OL.

Had a DL and QB transfer in.

17 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

How long until the IHSAA goes to the NCAA model allowing one transfer for any reason (without a move)?

All I can say is the current model the IHSAA uses is very broken.

A former IHSAA Exec Committee member is an assistant superintendent in our district. her claim is that it may happen, but has been in discussion for years. She also claimed it would only be allowed after a student's freshman year. And I agree, the system has long been broken. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irishman said:

A former IHSAA Exec Committee member member is an assistant superintendent in our district. her claim is that it may happen, but has been in discussion for years. She also claimed it would only be allowed after a student's freshman year. And I agree, the system has long been broken. 

edit: changed board member to Exec Committee member

I know schools that never block anyone.  I know schools that block occasionally.  But I also know of schools that drag out the process and block as late as possible vindictively.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainHook said:

I know schools that never block anyone.  I know schools that block occasionally.  But I also know of schools that drag out the process and block as late as possible vindictively.

For the first time I have ever been aware, we had a kid transfer in.... Dad had an apartment in the district, while mom lived in another district. He transferred mid year and was in our building the 2nd semester. The school he left challenged the transfer, even though there was an address change. The IHSAA ruled him ineligible, so he was basically forced to go back to his previous school. That type of thing happens so often with no questions or issues. 

42 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

I believe NP had two transfers out.  A LB that probably would have seen the field this year, and a backup OL.

Hopefully they let them play. 

1 hour ago, CaptainHook said:

Transfer or move? 

Not to argue semantics but that is a world of difference, IMO. 

The Spegal family moving from Muncie to New Palestine should not be scrutinized as heavily as a player that switches schools without an actual address change. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Transfer or move? 

The Spegal family moving from Muncie to New Palestine should not be scrutinized as heavily as a player that switches schools without an actual address change. 

Address change shouldn’t matter imo 

Indiana is a freedom of choice state the last I checked.  As long as they can get themselves to the school and the school has room for the enrollment it shouldn’t be an issue.  

9 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Transfer or move? 

The transfers in moved in, as far as I know.  The transfers out, did not (but were not blocked).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Address change shouldn’t matter imo 

Indiana is a freedom of choice state the last I checked.  As long as they can get themselves to the school and the school has room for the enrollment it shouldn’t be an issue.  

Not disagreeing with you.

Has the barrier in the past been due to people not living in the school district do not pay local taxes that provide the fiscal support needed by the school?  I seem to remember in the past, one had to pay tuition or some type of fee if they lived out of the district.  I believe they might have changed?

28 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Has the barrier in the past been due to people not living in the school district do not pay local taxes that provide the fiscal support needed by the school?  I seem to remember in the past, one had to pay tuition or some type of fee if they lived out of the district.  I believe they might have changed?

There might be fees for some schools.  I don’t know how much each district costs but I think I remember something about $7500 per student per year…but obviously some areas the cost might be more. 

like I imagine the people of Carmel pay an extra premium on their property taxes and let’s say the cost is $8000 now for their district…I would think the difference of $500 would have to be covered by the family 

if I’m way off don’t kill me lol I’m on vacation haha.  What I do remember though is public schools having an issue with this because it meant that people could use the money that technically from the state to attend private schools…but that’s just more the people who think that every tax dollar spent is theirs alone and they don’t realize the people who would do this also pay taxes so it’s their money to use also haha 

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

For the first time I have ever been aware, we had a kid transfer in.... Dad had an apartment in the district, while mom lived in another district. He transferred mid year and was in our building the 2nd semester. The school he left challenged the transfer, even though there was an address change. The IHSAA ruled him ineligible, so he was basically forced to go back to his previous school. That type of thing happens so often with no questions or issues. 

If you are willing to go through all three appeals....these situations will usually rule in favor of the student, but they make it hell on the family to get it done.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Piratefan101 said:

Just a note with transfers.. Gary west side up in the region lost there coach to Hobart. And the new one that stepped in uoset a lot of parents and they are losing people left and right. 

4 to Hammond morton

3 to merrillville 

3 calumet

And a few to Andrean 

At what point are transfers impacting competitive balance?  Are we already there?  

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

Has the barrier in the past been due to people not living in the school district do not pay local taxes that provide the fiscal support needed by the schoolI seem to remember in the past, one had to pay tuition or some type of fee if they lived out of the district.  I believe they might have changed?

Schools with open-enrollment are allowed to charge a "differential," I believe, for students that are out of the district ... especially in the case of homeschooled kids.  I don't know that all do though.  It would make sense that the argument is local taxes, but if I'm not mistaken, the schools themselves get their money based on DOE enrollment numbers, so whether a kid's parents pay taxes in that district or not likely doesn't play into the school's focus, but may for the district ... i.e., the school gets "paid" for the kid if they are a butt-in-the-seat whether their folks pay taxes in that district or another.

I had a colleague of mine who lived in the Tippecanoe School Corp, but his daughter attended Jeff because she wanted to do arts as her high school focus and this was before the Rohrman Performing Arts Center opened up at Jeff.  I don't know if it was official that students could attend outside of districts at that time or not or if it was more on a special case basis.  Don't know if he paid a differential for her.  I know that TSC has a differential for kids that are out of district that attend their schools.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

If you are willing to go through all three appeals....these situations will usually rule in favor of the student, but they make it hell on the family to get it done.

I agree....that is why it was such a surprise the IHSAA declared him ineligible. 

2 hours ago, DT said:

At what point are transfers impacting competitive balance?  Are we already there?  

Transfers depending on what they are can always shift the balance. But I guess this had to do with something new coach said to the team and it rubbed alot of parents a negative way. I hope it’s not true I liked seeing the turn west side started to make! 

This is a real sore subject for me.  My son lost a whole year of sports because of it.  We didn't transfer for football reasons or playing time, and didn't move from our home.  We moved to a 1a school and due to Covid and low numbers, never even got a JV game in that he was able to play in, thus missing his entire sophomore year.  The only one hurt in these situations is the child.  I wish they would fix it, and make the schools who block it sit out an entire season!!

On 7/18/2022 at 7:49 AM, CaptainHook said:

The transfers in moved in, as far as I know.  The transfers out, did not (but were not blocked).

New Pal's AD is very ethical and, to my knowledge, has never blocked a transfer out even though there have been some transfers out - in non-football sports - that he easily could have blocked because the transfer was very obviously athletically-motivated and didn't include a change of residence. 

Some other schools in the area, as CaptainHook noted, will drag the process out as long as possible and then refuse to sign off on it at the last minute. 

On 7/18/2022 at 8:44 AM, Bash Riprock said:

That changed during the Daniels administration. When the property tax caps were made a part of the Constitution, the school funding formula changed to a money-follows-the-child system (partially funded by an increase in sales taxes). Part of that deal was that schools could not charge tuition for transfers (but the receiving school had discretion to allow or deny transfers). 

That has since been modified, because some schools were only accepting transfers with good academic or attendance records, and now the state requires a school that accepts transfers to accept everyone who applies, everyone who applies until capacity is reached, or to hold a lottery if there are more applicants than spots. 

The state provides the enrollment-based financial support. So, if a student transfers from Community A to Community B, the money attached to that student goes to School B, not the school where he resides. 

Local property taxes pay for buses and capital improvements, but the general fund (salaries, the electric bill, operating costs of running the school) have to come entirely from the money coming from the state, which comes on the per-student basis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crimsonace1 said:

That changed during the Daniels administration. When the property tax caps were made a part of the Constitution, the school funding formula changed to a money-follows-the-child system (partially funded by an increase in sales taxes). Part of that deal was that schools could not charge tuition for transfers (but the receiving school had discretion to allow or deny transfers). 

That has since been modified, because some schools were only accepting transfers with good academic or attendance records, and now the state requires a school that accepts transfers to accept everyone who applies, everyone who applies until capacity is reached, or to hold a lottery if there are more applicants than spots. 

I am not sure the tuition thing is accurate. I know we have had tuition transfers the last couple years. But they do have to maintain a level of academic performance. I know a couple kids that wanted to play football and basketball that were willing to be tuition transfers. 

On 7/18/2022 at 9:52 AM, DT said:

This is not the NFL. There is no salary cap or draft to ensure competitive balance. 

The IHSAA's job is not to ensure "competitive balance," but to administer tournaments and create rules for fair competition. The reality is, in high school sports, some communities/schools are going to have better teams than others. There has never been competitive balance, and never will be, in community/education-based athletics. 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

This is not the NFL. There is no salary cap or draft to ensure competitive balance. 

The IHSAA's job is not to ensure "competitive balance," but to administer tournaments and create rules for fair competition. The reality is, in high school sports, some communities/schools are going to have better teams than others. There has never been competitive balance, and never will be, in community/education-based athletics. 

Clueless