Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Athletic directors, are you considering football contraction?

Does the following describe your high school football program?

Winning percentage of less than .200 over the past decade

Chronic coaching turnover as you are hiring your fifth staff over the last 10 years

Low turnout, lack of roster depth, and poor lower level numbers

Nonexistent feeder system

Apathetic administrative and community involvement

Poor equipment and facilities

Does your football program help fund other athletic teams at your school?

Does your football program lose money?

Does your student body come out and support the football team on Friday nights?

After answering all of these questions, ask yourself the following question.

Why haven't I recommended football contraction to my principal?

On 6/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, DT said:

Chronic coaching turnover as you are hiring your fifth staff over the last 10 years

Only those who tell you how ridiculous we think you are and you are the only people talking about it. 

9 minutes ago, coachkj said:

Only those who tell you how ridiculous we think you are and you are the only people talking about it. 

Easy comments to make coming from that lofty perch you sit on. 

21 minutes ago, DT said:

While he may have a lofty perch, you seem to have two perches?

I’m so confused about the DT/HHF dynamic.

Edited by temptation
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

While he may have a lofty perch, you seem to have two perches?

I’m so confused about the DT/HHF dynamic.

No longer affiliated with HHF

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

Until when?

I think you need a podcast personally.

HHF is in good hands and under new ownership.  Just expanded to Twitter and Instagram.  Those venues are out of my lane.  

On 6/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, DT said:

image.thumb.png.a3772e989e78c3890b8e6fa96637b585.png

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, DT said:

You know absolutely nothing about the perches I have sat on in my career. Very ignorant statement. I do have a couple of big fat rings from lofty perches but I have also been among the worst teams in the state.  Football is good for kids in high school. Even bad programs.  I have no clue why you keep bringing it up. What a horrible way to look at life.... you aren't good so quit trying.

Maybe you played once upon a time but you seem to have missed the point of high school athletics. I usually scroll past your nonsense but I think its important to speak out toward nonsense from time to time.  If you quit posting today about your lunatic proposal that ADs across the state should stand up an listen no one would miss them.  Its a dumb idea you made up.

• Like 3
  • Disdain 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

HHF is in good hands and under new ownership.  Just expanded to Twitter and Instagram.  Those venues are out of my lane.  

I'm assuming this means that you'll go back in a few weeks/months after pronouncing you were no longer affiliated and leaving?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I'm assuming this means that you'll go back in a few weeks/months after pronouncing you were no longer affiliated and leaving?

I always leave my options open.

1 hour ago, coachkj said:

You know absolutely nothing about the perches I have sat on in my career. Very ignorant statement. I do have a couple of big fat rings from lofty perches but I have also been among the worst teams in the state.  Football is good for kids in high school. Even bad programs.  I have no clue why you keep bringing it up. What a horrible way to look at life.... you aren't good so quit trying.

Maybe you played once upon a time but you seem to have missed the point of high school athletics. I usually scroll past your nonsense but I think its important to speak out toward nonsense from time to time.  If you quit posting today about your lunatic proposal that ADs across the state should stand up an listen no one would miss them.  Its a dumb idea you made up.

You exhibit that grandiose pp hubris that I just love to attack.

Its always been good for business.  We all have our place in life.  

17 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Im just not like you Jon.  I cant imagine going back to the same old place day after day after day.  Year after year after year.  Recycling the same old BS time after time after time.  

I need variety in my life.  We are just wired differently.  Ive never been critical of your career or life choices-decisions.  Why do you feel the need to be critical of mine?

Edited by DT

Ok so I know that DT/HHF brings up contraction every chance he gets. In very, very few cases I believe he makes some good points. But there is another "C" word that I believe would be more of a beneficial talk, consolidation.

I know in the southeastern part of the state there are quite a few football programs that would benefit from this. Now I know school corporations make decisions based on a thousand other things then athletic programs but some of these smaller schools that are still out there I think would benefit from either consolidating with other small schools or a big school.

I think a great example of this would be the schools in Decatur County. Currently those include Greensburg, North Decatur & South Decatur. These are three schools that are all within a 20 minute drive of each other (Greensburg & North Decatur are literally on the opposite sides of 74).

According to the last enrollment numbers if all three of these schools combined they would have a student population of 1,278. This would make "Decatur County High School" a lot more competitive as a 4A school, maybe even a good team to play with Greensburg conference opponent East Central. In recent years South Decatur has had number issues and both North & South have had conference issues.

Other schools in southeastern Indiana that could benefit from this:

Milan + South Ripley + Jac-Cen-Del = "Ripley County High School" with 950 kids (South Ripley & Jac-Cen-Del do not have football teams)

Madison + Southwestern Hanover = "Jefferson County High School" with 1,114 kids (Southwestern Hanover doesn't have a football team)

Connersville + Union County = "Fayette-Union High School" with 1,374 kids

Switzerland County + Rising Sun = "Switz-Ohio High School" with 657 kids (Rising Sun doesn't have a football team)

Personally I think consolidation has a lot of benefits when it comes to the actual classroom and educational experience a student has. Small school generally means small resources. But when it comes to all the problems DT/HHF talks about I think this could be an answer. It creates schools with large enough enrollments to field football teams and gives even more kids opportunity to play football.

I don't have enough knowledge about other parts of the state but I'm sure there are similar situations across the state.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Old Man High Pants said:

Ok so I know that DT/HHF brings up contraction every chance he gets. In very, very few cases I believe he makes some good points. But there is another "C" word that I believe would be more of a beneficial talk, consolidation.

I know in the southeastern part of the state there are quite a few football programs that would benefit from this. Now I know school corporations make decisions based on a thousand other things then athletic programs but some of these smaller schools that are still out there I think would benefit from either consolidating with other small schools or a big school.

I think a great example of this would be the schools in Decatur County. Currently those include Greensburg, North Decatur & South Decatur. These are three schools that are all within a 20 minute drive of each other (Greensburg & North Decatur are literally on the opposite sides of 74).

According to the last enrollment numbers if all three of these schools combined they would have a student population of 1,278. This would make "Decatur County High School" a lot more competitive as a 4A school, maybe even a good team to play with Greensburg conference opponent East Central. In recent years South Decatur has had number issues and both North & South have had conference issues.

Milan + South Ripley + Jac-Cen-Del = "Ripley County High School" with 950 kids (South Ripley & Jac-Cen-Del do not have football teams)

Madison + Southwestern Hanover = "Jefferson County High School" with 1,114 kids (Southwestern Hanover doesn't have a football team)

Switzerland County + Rising Sun = "Switz-Ohio High School" with 657 kids (Rising Sun doesn't have a football team)

Personally I think consolidation has a lot of benefits when it comes to the actual classroom and educational experience a student has. Small school generally means small resources. But when it comes to all the problems DT/HHF talks about I think this could be an answer. It creates schools with large enough enrollments to field football teams and gives even more kids opportunity to play football.

I don't have enough knowledge about other parts of the state but I'm sure there are similar situations across the state.

And Im the guy with the bad ideas.  LOL.  

17 hours ago, DT said:

Im just not like you Jon.  I cant imagine going back to the same old place day after day after day.  Year after year after year.  Recycling the same old BS time after time after time.  

I need variety in my life.  We are just wired differently.  Ive never been critical of your career or life choices-decisions.  Why do you feel the need to be critical of mine?

And yet here we are.  Deja vu all over again.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

20 hours ago, Old Man High Pants said:

I think you have a better shot of selling a catsup flavored popsicle to a lady in white gloves than you would have asking a few of those communities give up their local schools. 

On 6/17/2022 at 6:12 PM, DT said:

And Im the guy with the bad ideas.  LOL.  

At least my bad ideas are ways to reallocate money while getting more kids involved with football then taking it away from them.

21 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

I think you have a better shot of selling a catsup flavored popsicle to a lady in white gloves than you would have asking a few of those communities give up their local schools. 

I know it will never happen, but honestly having some of those schools still open is a waist of money and resources. Just looking at Decatur county, it employs 2 superintendents, 3 principals, 3 assistant principals, 3 athletic directors. That's a lot of administrative pay for one county with fewer than 1,300 students. And I'm not trying to bad mouth any of the supers, principals, or ADs, I'm sure they all do a great job.

Additionally think about the money spent on keeping all three of those high schools running with annual building & grounds maintenance, heating & AC, basic utilities, etc. Again a lot of money that could be spent for athletics or other extra curriculars that would enrich the high school experiences of students. 

Pipe dream . . . yeah, but still makes fiscal sense. 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:21 PM, Robert said:

The AD's I know would tell you to take a flying leap.

They are probably reflecting their own personal self interests and not those of the student body.