Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Southern Indiana Football Talk Dominates This Forum

I’d say this page took me forever to get an account which may be one reason. I’d say take a look at how Kentucky does there’s especially during the season and coaching changes and you’ll see a big difference. No shade to anyone we can just learn from everyone.

On 6/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

I’ve been on this site since six years ago and I’ve definitely noticed a decline in the number of users. It stinks but it’s the reality of it. I hear this site used to be popping back in the day and I’m sad I missed it.

It used to be this was the only shop in town. There are many other places out there to yak about high school football now. I think, no disrespect to the current leadership, that we're all still feeling the loss of TA here too. I think the current leadership here does a great job spending time, effort and money to make it great here, but Tim Adams was the guiding light of the Gridiron Digest. He was irreplaceable. 

47 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

very true... !

Is it just a generation shift? I feel like my generation has the burnout from playing since youth through HS & beyond for the good ones. Some of my best friends made from football hardly follow pro, college, or high school much anymore. I'm hoping they're just waiting until their kids start playing. However I wonder how many of their kids will play. I remember there were a ton of parents on here when I played & a bit after. I started on here when my brother played and a few dropped off during that time. Many more did once my brother graduated 5 or 6 years ago. Glad for those still here and those just arriving!

23 hours ago, footballguru said:

Are there any podcasts or YouTube channels that cover HS football in this state?

The WANE 15 YouTube channel posts videos every Monday starting with week 1 and ending the Monday after all the local teams are done playing. They cover Fort Wayne area teams (specifically the SAC, NE8, NECC, and ACAC). Sometimes they’ll throw in Warsaw, Wawasee, Tippecanoe Valley, and others.

The Monday videos look ahead to the week’s match-ups. The final Monday video of the season recaps the entire season and they hand out fictional awards to players, teams, and coaches.

There are also videos posted every Friday night with highlights of that particular night’s games. These videos are just the segments taken from that night’s news telecast.

I watch the Monday and Friday videos every season. Keeps me updated on what’s happening in northeast Indiana football. I think WANE does a better job of covering local football than anybody else.

On 6/21/2022 at 12:06 PM, BDGiant93 said:

It used to be this was the only shop in town. There are many other places out there to yak about high school football now. I think, no disrespect to the current leadership, that we're all still feeling the loss of TA here too. I think the current leadership here does a great job spending time, effort and money to make it great here, but Tim Adams was the guiding light of the Gridiron Digest. He was irreplaceable. 

I respectfully disagree.  Tim was a great leader and he had a wonderful vision for The GID.  But he was not an active poster and rarely got deep into the woods on discussions, conversations, disputes, etc.  He was more of a passive moderator, cooling things down when they got overheated.  But he was not a topic starter or a conversation generator.  The members were responsible for the vast majority of posting activity on the site.  

50 minutes ago, DT said:

I respectfully disagree.  Tim was a great leader and he had a wonderful vision for The GID.  But he was not an active poster and rarely got deep into the woods on discussions, conversations, disputes, etc.  He was more of a passive moderator, cooling things down when they got overheated.  But he was not a topic starter or a conversation generator.  The members were responsible for the vast majority of posting activity on the site.  

Tim was acutely aware of his influence on the GID and was careful not to insert himself into too many discussions, lest his presence chill the debate.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:14 AM, Basementbias said:

Is it just a generation shift? I feel like my generation has the burnout from playing since youth through HS & beyond for the good ones. Some of my best friends made from football hardly follow pro, college, or high school much anymore. I'm hoping they're just waiting until their kids start playing. However I wonder how many of their kids will play. I remember there were a ton of parents on here when I played & a bit after. I started on here when my brother played and a few dropped off during that time. Many more did once my brother graduated 5 or 6 years ago. Glad for those still here and those just arriving!

I think it Linton's case....we were climbing the mountain in 1A... getting so close in semi state losses,  and of course there was never a shortage of Linton fans ready and willing to shout the Miners glory into any topic anytime!  It was a heady time in Greene County, and while I defend that most Linton football fans are level-headed and not the outrageous few that got a lot of attention.  Unfortunately we've lost a couple of them in recent years to health failure.  I think the robust Miner folks pulled other locals into the fray as the rivalries both historically then as teams started meeting seemingly every year in Sectional title games, regionals etc.  Yearly there where spirited back n forths with the faithful from North Daviess, North Knox, North Central, Sullivan (altho not 1A)... then of course West Washington, and the battles with Perry Central...through Rockville, North Vermillion, Fountain Central.. then naturally the Scecina, and Ritter heartbreaks... and....well definitely the LCC banter... to the eventual win over Pioneer in 2016 was the pinnacle.  I think the combination of a big talented graduation class and a bump up to 2A and into sectional with state champ Southridge and perennial power Mater Dei contributed to the slow face of boisterous Miner Faithful, altho there were still plenty of us representing.  A lot of the guys I knew on the GID from Linton, and the area kinda came on as their kid or grandkid was coming up through the grades.  A lot of Dads/Gramps/Uncles/older brothers are involved in youth league and junior high programs and of course as Linton was rolling in the late 90's and 2000's winning multiple sectionals.. word of GID talk spread and guys couldn't resist making comments here n there.  

As those kids graduated, parents sort of did as well, as this many of the GID Linton folks.  I think Linton's 2017 team that lost to 9-3 Ritter, to 14-1 state runner up Eastern Greene (and a game I'd of loved a rematch)... and twice to eventual 2A champ Southridge (17-16, and 20-0 in rematch that was 0-0 at half).... I think that team would have relished a rematch with EG and made a run at seeing Pioneer again.  2018 saw Linton in a losing season for the 1st time sine 1996!  and I was amazed at the amount of negativism that just came from all over.  At 5-6 you'd of thought the world ended...which was crazy considering the youth of that team.. and starting 0-3.   And sounding like the LInton guy I am.... I think each of the 2019, 2020, and certainly last years team could have made solid runs in 1A from the South.  I realize we are 2A and likely will stay there... we are only 2A by 8 students.  So we are a low end 2A school any way you look at it.   The kids have responded well, we just have not gotten over the Mater Dei hump.. .much like we couldn't get over the Ritter and Scecina hump in 1A semi-state.... or the Perry Central stage in 1A Sect 40.  This past year was a tough one to swallow and that class was so much like the state winning 2016 class... and we lose so many to graduation... but a great group coming back albeit big shoes to fill.

I think a lot of the Miner folks that use to frequent GID have just faded away as they have from actual involvement in the program.  I also think there was an active move to try and get less 'talk' on a forum that could be used as motivation for opponents!  Since the move to 2A we've not been able to hoist a sectional trophy..as opposed to winning 9 out of the last 10 years in 1A.  Honestly it's disappointed to see how people dropped off.  But it's also been sad to watch the  fall out just in attendance at the actual games at the ROy.... more and more people staying home to watch streams or going to the local watering hole and watching from bars and clubs instead of being there in the flesh where these kids need the see the support.   I've always sad... on the air... that Linton fans can be spoiled into just expecting to win and win big.  It isn't always going to be the case, but we've been lucky and blessed to have had some terrific teams in our small town.. .such as last year... and they deserve the kind of turn out at home and away that those teams in the 80's 90's and early 2000's did.   

yeah.. I miss you 1A .   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

I think it Linton's case....we were climbing the mountain in 1A... getting so close in semi state losses,  and of course there was never a shortage of Linton fans ready and willing to shout the Miners glory into any topic anytime!  It was a heady time in Greene County, and while I defend that most Linton football fans are level-headed and not the outrageous few that got a lot of attention.  Unfortunately we've lost a couple of them in recent years to health failure.  I think the robust Miner folks pulled other locals into the fray as the rivalries both historically then as teams started meeting seemingly every year in Sectional title games, regionals etc.  Yearly there where spirited back n forths with the faithful from North Daviess, North Knox, North Central, Sullivan (altho not 1A)... then of course West Washington, and the battles with Perry Central...through Rockville, North Vermillion, Fountain Central.. then naturally the Scecina, and Ritter heartbreaks... and....well definitely the LCC banter... to the eventual win over Pioneer in 2016 was the pinnacle.  I think the combination of a big talented graduation class and a bump up to 2A and into sectional with state champ Southridge and perennial power Mater Dei contributed to the slow face of boisterous Miner Faithful, altho there were still plenty of us representing.  A lot of the guys I knew on the GID from Linton, and the area kinda came on as their kid or grandkid was coming up through the grades.  A lot of Dads/Gramps/Uncles/older brothers are involved in youth league and junior high programs and of course as Linton was rolling in the late 90's and 2000's winning multiple sectionals.. word of GID talk spread and guys couldn't resist making comments here n there.  

As those kids graduated, parents sort of did as well, as this many of the GID Linton folks.  I think Linton's 2017 team that lost to 9-3 Ritter, to 14-1 state runner up Eastern Greene (and a game I'd of loved a rematch)... and twice to eventual 2A champ Southridge (17-16, and 20-0 in rematch that was 0-0 at half).... I think that team would have relished a rematch with EG and made a run at seeing Pioneer again.  2018 saw Linton in a losing season for the 1st time sine 1996!  and I was amazed at the amount of negativism that just came from all over.  At 5-6 you'd of thought the world ended...which was crazy considering the youth of that team.. and starting 0-3.   And sounding like the LInton guy I am.... I think each of the 2019, 2020, and certainly last years team could have made solid runs in 1A from the South.  I realize we are 2A and likely will stay there... we are only 2A by 8 students.  So we are a low end 2A school any way you look at it.   The kids have responded well, we just have not gotten over the Mater Dei hump.. .much like we couldn't get over the Ritter and Scecina hump in 1A semi-state.... or the Perry Central stage in 1A Sect 40.  This past year was a tough one to swallow and that class was so much like the state winning 2016 class... and we lose so many to graduation... but a great group coming back albeit big shoes to fill.

I think a lot of the Miner folks that use to frequent GID have just faded away as they have from actual involvement in the program.  I also think there was an active move to try and get less 'talk' on a forum that could be used as motivation for opponents!  Since the move to 2A we've not been able to hoist a sectional trophy..as opposed to winning 9 out of the last 10 years in 1A.  Honestly it's disappointed to see how people dropped off.  But it's also been sad to watch the  fall out just in attendance at the actual games at the ROy.... more and more people staying home to watch streams or going to the local watering hole and watching from bars and clubs instead of being there in the flesh where these kids need the see the support.   I've always sad... on the air... that Linton fans can be spoiled into just expecting to win and win big.  It isn't always going to be the case, but we've been lucky and blessed to have had some terrific teams in our small town.. .such as last year... and they deserve the kind of turn out at home and away that those teams in the 80's 90's and early 2000's did.   

yeah.. I miss you 1A .   

Honestly torn if I miss you guys or not. 😂. I still read most Linton threads. Wouldve been interesting to see our 2019 2020 match ups unfold but I seen alot of our most talented teams fall to Linton. 2004 was fun game. 2012 was a good team that ran into such a good defense. But 2015 was my favorite. Was one of my first years on the board and it was me vs 100 fans in the game thread. Game was much closer then the final score of 35-14 as Linton scored 2 late as we got gassed. I remember fans talking about how Linton hadn't allowed 100 yd rusher all season and Landon McPheeters wasn't gonna be different. Had over 100 at halftime if I remember correctly but wasn't enough. 

I moved out here from Louisville in 5th grade so I wasn't around during WW 93-94 runs so my only 2 regionals we had at that point were both loses to Linton. 19-20 would've been 2 more great games I think. But we may have lost and still been searching for those SS appearances we finally got with you gone. 😂. Of course now we are rebuilding so I really don't wanna see you guys. Maybe in a few years. Holden Bowsman (Phillips son and QB of those SS teams) is now first year on coaching staff. So when he makes his movie moment of winning state as a coach for his father we have to beat Linton on the way. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miner_Pride said:

yeah.. I miss you 1A .   

I feel Linton & AC are mirror images of one another. They've both been successful at the sectional and regional levels and then struggling at semi state. Both did get over the hurdle & win the long awaited title. I feel this will be the last 2 year cycle in 1A for AC. It will be bittersweet as we've enjoyed success, but those rivalries will fall. It would be nice to get a win over Sheridan, Pioneer, and LCC in the playoffs for once. Hopefully those programs will be up bc of enrollment or success factor.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DT said:

I was talking more about the overall influence rather than the day-to-day commenting on posts and things.

On 6/16/2022 at 5:07 AM, DT said:

Across the Northern section of this state, not a peep to be heard from the following conferences :

Northwest Crossroads - dead

Duneland - dead

Greater South Shore - dead

Great Lakes - dead

NIC - life support

NLC - dead

SAC - BTF gives it a slight pulse

NE8 - dead

ACAC - dead

Three Rivers - dead

Hoosier - dead

Hoosier North - dead

Sagamore - dead

WIC - dead

CIC - dead

EIAC - dead

Mid Eastern - dead

Hoosier Heartland - dead

Tri Eastern - dead

Wabash River - dead

Central Indiana 

Greater Indianapolis - dead

North Central - dead

MIC - steady

HCC - steady

Mid State - dead

Hoosier Heritage - dead

Conf Indiana - dead

Indiana Crossroads - dead

Circle City - dead

Southern Indiana 

SIAC - thriving

PAC - steady

Hoosier Hills - slowing

Mid Southern - Dead

Patoka Lake - dead

We've been conditioned to believe over the years that Southern Indiana is only interested in basketball.  Yet they dominate GID football discussion and have for years.

What happened to all the Northern Indiana support and forum activity?  

It seems to have evaporated over the past 5  to 10 years.  

Maybe institute a post multiplier for Northern and Central Indiana?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, MHSTigerFan said:

Maybe institute a post multiplier for Northern and Central Indiana?

Or have them contract/ consolidate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Or have them contract/ consolidate.

You mean have "You" contract-consolidate.  Your conference is on the non participation list also

Edited by DT

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

We do our talking on the field. That's where football is played.

Thats all fine and good, but when 90% of the states football conferences get zero participation from forum members, its not really a statewide football forum anymore.  Its basically an SIAC/PAC Discussion Board supplemented by some central Indiana focused topical discussion.  

It is what it is.

Just now, DT said:

Thats all fine and good, but when 90% of the states football conferences get zero participation from forum members, its not really a statewide football forum anymore.  Its basically an SIAC/PAC Discussion Board supplemented by some central Indiana focused topical discussion.  

It is what it is.

Maybe someone down there will buy it.

12 hours ago, Basementbias said:

I feel Linton & AC are mirror images of one another. They've both been successful at the sectional and regional levels and then struggling at semi state. Both did get over the hurdle & win the long awaited title. I feel this will be the last 2 year cycle in 1A for AC. It will be bittersweet as we've enjoyed success, but those rivalries will fall. It would be nice to get a win over Sheridan, Pioneer, and LCC in the playoffs for once. Hopefully those programs will be up bc of enrollment or success factor.

Most definitely feel a kinship with Adams Central!!  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WWFan said:

Honestly torn if I miss you guys or not. 😂. I still read most Linton threads. Wouldve been interesting to see our 2019 2020 match ups unfold but I seen alot of our most talented teams fall to Linton. 2004 was fun game. 2012 was a good team that ran into such a good defense. But 2015 was my favorite. Was one of my first years on the board and it was me vs 100 fans in the game thread. Game was much closer then the final score of 35-14 as Linton scored 2 late as we got gassed. I remember fans talking about how Linton hadn't allowed 100 yd rusher all season and Landon McPheeters wasn't gonna be different. Had over 100 at halftime if I remember correctly but wasn't enough. 

I moved out here from Louisville in 5th grade so I wasn't around during WW 93-94 runs so my only 2 regionals we had at that point were both loses to Linton. 19-20 would've been 2 more great games I think. But we may have lost and still been searching for those SS appearances we finally got with you gone. 😂. Of course now we are rebuilding so I really don't wanna see you guys. Maybe in a few years. Holden Bowsman (Phillips son and QB of those SS teams) is now first year on coaching staff. So when he makes his movie moment of winning state as a coach for his father we have to beat Linton on the way. 😉

My goodness we've had some tussles with the Senators... the one at Linton is always 'questionable' due to the strip/fumble.   WW has always had some bruising RBs.  Conrad comes to mind... but man McPheeters was a horse.  Yeah we prided our D always on stopping the big back... but yeah.. he was at 125 on 26 carries at half.  But he was big on D too... ended with 12 tackles... but I think he got wore out... he got hit every play... and he was a load...so hitting him wasn't fun LOL.  I really seem to recall that he hurt his leg right before half.... seems like he was limping more as the 2nd half played out.  But he onnly had 23 yards after half... still a stunning 40 carries tho!  HE was the WW offense... his 148 was all but 22 of WW's rush yards... and Linton pass D held Sizemore and company to just 5 of 17 passing for 45 yards.   That first half was back n forth!!! Keying on Meurer (he had just 34 rush yards) opened up things for Jackson (173 yards) Eberhardt (113 yards) and the FB Bason (86 yds).   Course we didn't pass at all.. 1 of 3!!   I remember the vibe in pregame.... such a buildup... but such respect as well.   I really like Philip.  We had great conversations all season via email.. and I really enjoyed talking with him after the games on field.  Such a loss.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DT said:

It is what it is.

8 hours ago, DT said:

You mean have "You" contract-consolidate.  Your conference is on the non participation list also

Non-participation?  Is that another DTmism?

I'm pretty sure that HC members have posted about the conference and specifics about their teams/players.  The HC also has the annual CFWM Pick 'Em on GID which I would bet is one of the few on GID that actually has a PHYSICAL plaque presented to the winner.  From the NCC side, yes I have have had involvement in two conferences with kids at three different schools so far, we've had NCC posts concerning teams as well as weighing in on fantasy ideas from posters talking about members of the HC joining the NCC.