Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Early Scrimmages?

Next Monday 6/27 Hamilton Heights is scheduled for a scrimmage vs. Cardinal Ritter.

Are any other schools having early scrimmages?

I'm unsure of the format, or even where this will take place. The main field at Hamilton Heights is currently undergoing it's transformation to turf. 

On 6/21/2022 at 8:25 AM, gonzoron said:

Next Monday 6/27 Hamilton Heights is scheduled for a scrimmage vs. Cardinal Ritter.

Are any other schools having early scrimmages?

I'm unsure of the format, or even where this will take place. The main field at Hamilton Heights is currently undergoing it's transformation to turf. 

Typically, you will see a 7 on 7 segment, maybe one on ones with linemen, and inside run period, then full 11 on 11. Rules state that players can only be in helmets and shoulder pads for equipment. The scrimmages are also limited on full contact. The IHSAA defines full contact as taking a ball carrier to the ground

Several scrimmages like this over the summer. Teams are allowed up to 5 competitions which include 7v7 or thud scrimmages. Many are done at camps as well. Sometimes the schools get officials involved. They don't pay, but it's good opportunity for officials to knock the rest off and prepare for the season. I know Brebeuf is hosting a 4-team scrimmage tomorrow and the IOA will have several members of their new officials class there to help them. These scrimmages are great for new officials to get some snaps.

• Like 1

These also count as a practice. Each team is limited at 12 practices throughout the summer I believe. Have seen lots of teams scrimmages multiple times on different occasions. Those are contributing to practice count. These also include camps at universities.

23 hours ago, NorthKnox94 said:

North Knox, Evansville North, Heritage Hills, and Terre Haute South scrimmaged last Wednesday...I thought it turned out well...weather was perfect!

The weather was definitely nice and enjoyed the pads poppin again.  It was enjoyable going up against people we never see during the year.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, HHPatriots said:

The weather was definitely nice and enjoyed the pads poppin again.  It was enjoyable going up against people we never see during the year.

How did each of these teams do.....strengths....things that need work?

4 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

How did each of these teams do.....strengths....things that need work?

Heritage Hills looked like they would beat Gibson Southern by 3 TD's.  

(I wasn't there, but that is what you REALLY wanted to ask, wasn't it?) 😄

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Heritage Hills looked like they would beat Gibson Southern by 3 TD's.  

(I wasn't there, but that is what you REALLY wanted to ask, wasn't it?) 😄

LOL...actually I am interested in THS (as we play them game one this year) and North (always pulling for Joey).  I have a pretty good idea what HH has although what they decide to do at QB would be interesting.

22 hours ago, Titan32 said:

LOL...actually I am interested in THS (as we play them game one this year) and North (always pulling for Joey).  I have a pretty good idea what HH has although what they decide to do at QB would be interesting.

As you know, it is hard to tell much this early.  

To your QB comment.  I can tell you how that is going to go....."hey! who is the most athletic senior?  It is your job!"  

To be honest, I don't know where that will go, we have a sophomore QB that I believe would be excellent, but he will likely only see 3rd and 4th quarters on Friday nights.

Looking forward to the season....my kid told me they have another scrimmage Monday at Reitz.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

As you know, it is hard to tell much this early.  

To your QB comment.  I can tell you how that is going to go....."hey! who is the most athletic senior?  It is your job!"  

To be honest, I don't know where that will go, we have a sophomore QB that I believe would be excellent, but he will likely only see 3rd and 4th quarters on Friday nights.

Looking forward to the season....my kid told me they have another scrimmage Monday at Reitz.

I’m not the coach and I do not make the decisions nor should my opinion have any weight…..but from my understanding doesn’t HH have a phenomenal younger class coming up for 2024/2025? 

Imo it would make more sense to start the younger guy now if the battle is that close already.  By the time he is a senior he would likely be up there with the likes of Sigler and other great HH players and help lead them to a possible LOS trip. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I’m not the coach and I do not make the decisions nor should my opinion have any weight…..but from my understanding doesn’t HH have a phenomenal younger class coming up for 2024/2025? 

Imo it would make more sense to start the younger guy now if the battle is that close already.  By the time he is a senior he would likely be up there with the likes of Sigler and other great HH players and help lead them to a possible LOS trip. 

Actually our incoming freshman and sophomores are really talented.  We will see where that goes.  Goldsberry is a freshman.  He is 14 years old, 170 lb, 5' 10" and runs like a freight train.

The potential sophomore QB is as fast or faster than Sigler was, but the difference is that this one can throw and throw pretty well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

Actually our incoming freshman and sophomores are really talented.  We will see where that goes.  Goldsberry is a freshman.  He is 14 years old, 170 lb, 5' 10" and runs like a freight train.

The potential sophomore QB is as fast or faster than Sigler was, but the difference is that this one can throw and throw pretty well.

I say use the young fella. 

thinking back to 2013….GS fielded like 7 or 8 sophomores and they showed up and went 13-1.  Everyone knew the 2015 class was special and starting them early paid off.  I think 3 of the kids started as freshman in  2012 in various roles like long snapper too.  

point is…we often think they are not ready and that the upperclassmen are better….but if the talent is there….6 weeks in to the season the underclassmen will probably be caught up from tough games.  Then the next 2 years you should have a great core that only is improving 

• Like 1