Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Early Scrimmages?

1 hour ago, HHPatriots said:

Actually we host Silver Creek Thursday, we will be at Reitz next week....unless something changed.

This is not directed at HH or Reitz, but both teams have had multiple 11 on 11 scrimmages this summer. 

Are teams choosing one-off scrimmages now instead of overnight team camps hosted at a college? 

That seems to be the case IMO, but curious what it’s like around the state.

4 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

Are teams choosing one-off scrimmages now instead of overnight team camps hosted at a college? 

Yes. My guess is things changed when the "new" rules were put in place. 

19 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

This is not directed at HH or Reitz, but both teams have had multiple 11 on 11 scrimmages this summer. 

Just my opinion….team camps hosted by colleges are a waste of time and energy imo 

it’s a few days or running around and practicing pretty much just fundamentals with a few scrimmages in between.  Very short individual sessions for each position over the camp….and the college coaches kinda float around and give quick pep talks and not much else.  

they feel more like a publicity stunt from college programs than actual camps.  

again it’s just my opinion but i definitely am in favor of scrimmaging teams in your area over being 1 of 20 hs teams at a college over the summer for a few days running around with your head cut off trying to make the most of the time 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think team camps on a college campus are for the benefit of the college.  What better way to get prospects on campus to evaluate them?  I think schools are better off to host multi-team scrimmages on their campuses.  More team work gets done this way.

Just my humble opinion.

• Like 4

On 7/13/2022 at 11:46 AM, oldtimeqb said:

We have camp this week.  Dropped my boy off this morning.  It runs though Wednesday.

On 7/14/2022 at 7:46 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Just my opinion….team camps hosted by colleges are a waste of time and energy imo 

it’s a few days or running around and practicing pretty much just fundamentals with a few scrimmages in between.  Very short individual sessions for each position over the camp….and the college coaches kinda float around and give quick pep talks and not much else.  

they feel more like a publicity stunt from college programs than actual camps.  

again it’s just my opinion but i definitely am in favor of scrimmaging teams in your area over being 1 of 20 hs teams at a college over the summer for a few days running around with your head cut off trying to make the most of the time 

Indeed.  This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HH camp is at the high school where it belongs.  The day after camp we go to the Reitz Bowl for scrimmage.  

10 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

Indeed.  This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HH camp is at the high school where it belongs.  The day after camp we go to the Reitz Bowl for scrimmage.  

I have to imagine for a team like HH….what is a camp even going to do for you guys?  

nobody is going to teach the kids how to run your flexbone/wishbone offense better than your coaches haha. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I have to imagine for a team like HH….what is a camp even going to do for you guys?  

nobody is going to teach the kids how to run your flexbone/wishbone offense better than your coaches haha. 

FWIW - up here in northern Indiana - there is the TMT (Triple - Midline - Toss) Camp for schools that run that style of offense. It's currently happening at Manchester University. Warsaw, Fairfield, Northfield, Munster, a school from Illinois and a school from Canada are all there. All run the same style of offense. The camp very much so focuses on the fundamentals it takes to run that style of offense, while allowing some competition between the schools (so it's not just the whole summer of facing your own jerseys)

I wonder if something similar could be hosted down south for schools that run the flexbone/wishbone offense? Or is Heritage Hills the only school that does?

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

44 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

FWIW - up here in northern Indiana - there is the TMT (Triple - Midline - Toss) Camp for schools that run that style of offense. It's currently happening at Manchester University. Warsaw, Fairfield, Northfield, Munster, a school from Illinois and a school from Canada are all there. All run the same style of offense. The camp very much so focuses on the fundamentals it takes to run that style of offense, while allowing some competition between the schools (so it's not just the whole summer of facing your own jerseys)

I wonder if something similar could be hosted down south for schools that run the flexbone/wishbone offense? Or is Heritage Hills the only school that does?

They certainly are not the only ones….but they are close to if not the best at it in the area.  

the problem though is that a number of the other teams who run that or a variation are either conference foes or teams in the same sectional/regional.

would probably have to look south to Kentucky and I have no idea about what those teams run 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

SMH, you found a sore spot here.  7on7 Saturday up at Jasper.....watched us throw more Saturday that we will throw for the next 5 years.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I know I know.  It’s sinful for the ball to be in the air for y’all.  

It would be ok, but there is another problem with never passing the ball.....you have pass defense that is less than stellar.  It just kind of rolls that way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

It would be ok, but there is another problem with never passing the ball.....you have pass defense that is less than stellar.  It just kind of rolls that way.

Very true.  For the most part and definitely excluding last year, I feel like GS had the opposite problem.  Good pass defense with plenty of experience but struggled in the run defense category.

im sure you guys didn’t like trying to put together a scout offense and replicating Brady haha 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Very true.  For the most part and definitely excluding last year, I feel like GS had the opposite problem.  Good pass defense with plenty of experience but struggled in the run defense category.

im sure you guys didn’t like trying to put together a scout offense and replicating Brady haha 

We just couldn't get Cutler to come back and help us out with that....

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

9C4DA5B4-190F-4B6E-A786-65BAB526B485.jpeg.c2abba59c866e4704cfd1c9541aefcd6.jpeg

how I imagine calling Jay would go 

He could sling a ball something fierce...but what many don't know is that he was more fun to watch on defense and special teams than offense (at least for me)....oh well....back to scrimmages.

I am curious to see how we stack up to Reitz on Thursday.

1 hour ago, HHPatriots said:

I am curious to see how we stack up to Reitz on Thursday.

Based on how they did against GS and their 7on7s...I would say the HH pass defense will definitely be tested. Lot of speed and talent to deal with. However, the strength of their defense is their pass defense and they have been known to struggle against the run in recent years, which obviously both work in the favor of HH. I think it will be a competitive battle of run vs. pass. It also makes sense as it could benefit both teams as it helps HH prepare for defending the spread offense and helps Reitz prepare for defending Jasper and whoever else runs a similar offense.

Gibson Southern was up at Brownsburg this week and was fortunate to scrimmage Kankakee, IL, Huntley IL, Evansville North and Brownsburg.  GS showing dramatic improvements in secondary play based on some earlier events...but that is why we do these right.

Edited by Titan32

26 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Gibson Southern was up at Brownsburg this week and was fortunate to scrimmage Kankakee, IL, Huntley IL, Evansville North and Brownsburg.  GS showing dramatic improvements in secondary play based on some earlier events...but that is why we do these right.

Is it brownsburg camp or Coach John Harts camp? Haha 

but these things always give me a smile.  

Huntley -Illinois 7A

Kankakee- Illinois 5A 

North- Indiana 5A 

Brownsburg- Indiana 6A

and then little ole Gibson Southern as a 3A school.  

It just never gets old.  Every offseason under hart the team is training against schools 2x/3x/4x it’s size….and the community wants this challenge with no shortcuts 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Curious how North looked? Considering all the hype they have been getting, they should have stacked up pretty well to a 3A school, even if it is GS. For any GS fans that were able to see GS scrimmage Reitz and North, how did they compare?