Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

My HHC 2021 season Spring Outlook and Predictions.

1. Columbus East-It would be an absolute oversight for me to put anyone else here as they’ve earned this respect. The big question mark, is no Bob Gaddis. It could be different. The loss of Mark McDonald and Malachi Parks will be huge as well. I would expect rising Senior Tryce Villarreal to be their star and be one of the top HHC players as well.

2. New Albany-They will most definitely be the best threat to East. They have a ton of rising Seniors. Derrell Simmons, Kyondre Winford, JaRaylan Johnson, Dejon Winburn, Myles Johnson. They have a ton of athletes and skill players with 3-4 years experience. They could be scary good if they put it together.

3. Floyd Central-I’m hesitantly going with my Highlanders here. I have a lot of faith in Coach Bragg and his staff. It’s going to look a lot like a rebuilding year with all the Seniors they lost and all the College players they lost but fortunately the cupboard isn’t bare. They’ll find a RB because they always seem to do so, and their rising SO QB Tristan Robertson is a really impressive and talented kid. Watching him grow will be the most exciting thing with that program next season. He does have some good skill guys around him in Zak Hutslar, Eli Branham, Jake Hausz, Jaxon Farley, and Cody Bibelhauser. If I keep going I might talk myself into the #2 spot but I think they have a lot more question marks on the line of scrimmage than New Albany does. Their first 2 games are against Louisville Male and Louisville Manuel. So an 0-2 start really won’t be a tremendous suprise.

4. Jeffersonville-I kind of thought about putting them at #3, but I felt that one upset victory doesn’t make up for the last 5 years. Coach Parker has built a much more disciplined program but they still need to prove that they can put together a winning season. Their Tailback Jordan Ferguson has graduated but they return a pretty good QB in Cole Phillips who played well in the Sectional last year.

5. BNL-I have them here for no other reason other than I absolutely like their QB Bryne Lewis. The kid is tough as nails, and a big time playmaker. He will make new coach Derrick Barkers life a lot easier. It’s going to take some time for them to get back to where they want to be.

6. Seymour-They got off to a decent start last season and then the wheels came off. Their QB Ruble has graduated, they’ll be in for a rebuild next season as it seems almost every HHC team is.

7. Jennings County-Well, it’s Jennings County. They were kind of fun to watch a few years ago with the QB/WR duo they had. I was hoping they’d start becoming competitive but I just don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon.

Edited by Fkfootball

Thought I’d post this article from the Seymour newspaper.

http://www.tribtown.com/2021/05/14/three_local_conferences_to_have_different_look_in_fall-3/?fbclid=IwAR2Uoava93zYpYlYU-8n55TYDwdi-vp7sgkPI7KkgH9Ud9qdFCg08X8NC8Y

The two main points as it relates to the HHC are:

1. Madison applied for membership to the Mid-Southern Conference. With Clarksville leaving the conference at the end of the school year, the MSC will be down to eight football schools (Brownstown Central, Charlestown, Corydon Central, Eastern (Pekin), North Harrison, Salem, Scottsburg, and Silver Creek). The MSC decided to put off a decision on Madison for now. It’ll be interesting to see how the MSC votes on Madison when the time comes. I can’t imagine it’s easy to play an eight game conference schedule in football. However, there’s no rule you have to play every team in your conference. We’ll see what happens.

2. No schools applied for membership to the HHC. Silver Creek and Bloomington North have been mentioned as either having interest or being the favorite to take Madison’s place. However, it looks to be hearsay. Maybe that will change down the road but, for now, the HHC is a seven-school conference.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

38 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I can’t imagine it’s easy to play an eight game conference schedule in football.

It's mathematically unstable. 

38 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

2. No schools applied for membership to the HHC. Silver Creek and Bloomington North have been mentioned as either having interest or being the favorite to take Madison’s place. However, it looks to be hearsay. Maybe that will change down the road but, for now, the HHC is a seven-school conference.

If Terre Haute North and South remain, unmodified, CI should stay a 6-team conference, but swap out Columbus North for Southport. 

1 minute ago, Frozen Tundra said:

They were somehow able to make it work for four years but I’m sure each year provides a new challenge due to the fluidity of the scheduling throughout the state.

... and the Mid-southern now holds the record. The least time a conference did that was in 2005 in the HCC, and it lasted a year. The Mid-Southern is just fortunate that Providence (an independent) is in the area, and the PLAC only has 6 football schools. 

47 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

@DanteEstonia What’s your opinion on ten team conferences in which you play everyone and don’t have non-conference games? Like it? Dislike it?

I know you're asking Dante, but I'm definitely not a fan. It gives you no flexibility in your scheduling. It'd be nice to have 3 out of conference games to schedule as you like for purposes of scheduling to what your program needs. If you're trying to rebuild a program, schedule 3 winnable games. If you've built the program and want to take the next step, schedule a really good team and two others that are a toss up. Just an example.

9 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

I know you're asking Dante, but I'm definitely not a fan. It gives you no flexibility in your scheduling. It'd be nice to have 3 out of conference games to schedule as you like for purposes of scheduling to what your program needs. If you're trying to rebuild a program, schedule 3 winnable games. If you've built the program and want to take the next step, schedule a really good team and two others that are a toss up. Just an example.

Yeah I completely understand. By no means was I favoring a nine game conference schedule.

On the positive side, it’s super easy to schedule and you don’t have to worry about finding a non-conference opponent for a certain week. On the other hand, you don’t get a good grasp of how you measure up to other schools in the state. I know the Summit Athletic Conference has had a ten team, nine conference game schedule since 2015 and the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference started doing the same this past season.

Nevertheless, the consensus from the players, coaches, and fans in the SAC is that they’d prefer to have non-conference games. Not knowing how they measure up to those outside the conference prior to tourney time is one of the reasons, but also that they get bored playing the same nine teams over and over again.

31 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah I completely understand. By no means was I favoring a nine game conference schedule.

On the positive side, it’s super easy to schedule and you don’t have to worry about finding a non-conference opponent for a certain week. On the other hand, you don’t get a good grasp of how you measure up to other schools in the state. I know the Summit Athletic Conference has had a ten team, nine conference game schedule since 2015 and the Southern Indiana Athletic Conference started doing the same this past season.

Nevertheless, the consensus from the players, coaches, and fans in the SAC is that they’d prefer to have non-conference games. Not knowing how they measure up to those outside the conference prior to tourney time is one of the reasons, but also that they get bored playing the same nine teams over and over again.

I agree, it does make it easier. The MSC was in a tough spot with only 1 opening because it forced everyone to have a different off week, making it very challenging to find opponents. Same for the HHC as of late. It'd be nice to shift the conference schedule to the later weeks of the year, like 4-9 being all conference games. 

I also agree, it is nice to change up who you are playing. It is neat to face a different team and have a different challenge. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

That's not mathematically possible. 

I just meant hypothetically, not specific to the HHC. If all conferences played their conference schedule at the later part of the year, then most people would be relatively on the same page to play out of conference games. 

58 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

I just meant hypothetically, not specific to the HHC. If all conferences played their conference schedule at the later part of the year, then most people would be relatively on the same page to play out of conference games. 

All conferences would have to have the same number of teams, and all teams would have to WANT to play their non-conference games in Weeks 1 and 2.

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

Still wouldn’t work for conferences with an odd number of teams. There’s always going to be a week where a team doesn’t have a conference opponent.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:48 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

Still wouldn’t work for conferences with an odd number of teams. There’s always going to be a week where a team doesn’t have a conference opponent.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:39 PM, DanteEstonia said:

All conferences would have to have the same number of teams, and all teams would have to WANT to play their non-conference games in Weeks 1 and 2.

Yes, I know what you are saying. If the even numbered conferences did this then the odd numbered conferences would be able to play in those off weeks against each other. There is no magic solution to the scheduling problem, unless we just go with all even numbered districts and drop conferences 😁

1 minute ago, boilerfan87 said:

Yes, I know what you are saying. If the even numbered conferences did this then the odd numbered conferences would be able to play in those off weeks against each other. There is no magic solution to the scheduling problem, unless we just go with all even numbered districts and drop conferences 😁

Are you advocating for a pod system? Lol

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Are you advocating for a pod system? Lol

Shhhh... you can't say that word on here! lol

I just can't get the Kentucky district system out of my brain. And they never could even out the districts with team numbers so there was still some fudging with the schedule. However, there were only 3-4 locked in games so there is still a ton of flexibility in scheduling. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

2021 Non-Conference Schedules

BNL: at Martinsville, at Bloomington North, vs Madison

Columbus East: at Whiteland, vs Columbus North, at Indianapolis Chatard

Floyd Central: at Louisville Male, vs Louisville Manual, vs Silver Creek 

Jennings County: at Norwell, vs Brown County, vs Madison

Jeffersonville: vs Bell County (KY), at Mount Vernon (Posey), at Silver Creek 

New Albany: at Bloomington South, vs Gibson Southern, vs Bloomington North 

Seymour: at South Dearborn, vs Brownstown Central, at Madison

If you had to rank these non-conference schedules, what would you have?

I think it’s really hard to decide the order of the top two because I don’t really know much about Louisville Manual. Looks like they won a bunch of state titles a long time ago but I don’t know how relevant they are now. I’d say Louisville Male is the toughest of any of the non-conference opponents but I’ll give the slight edge to East for the overall depth of their three games (sorry Silver Creek) plus the fact two of the three are on the road.

1. Columbus East

2. Floyd Central

3. New Albany

4. BNL

5. Seymour

6. Jeffersonville

7. Jennings County 

7 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

2021 Non-Conference Schedules

BNL: at Martinsville, at Bloomington North, vs Madison

Columbus East: at Whiteland, vs Columbus North, at Indianapolis Chatard

Floyd Central: at Louisville Male, vs Louisville Manual, vs Silver Creek 

Jennings County: at Norwell, vs Brown County, vs Madison

Jeffersonville: vs Bell County (KY), at Mount Vernon (Posey), at Silver Creek 

New Albany: at Bloomington South, vs Gibson Southern, vs Bloomington North 

Seymour: at South Dearborn, vs Brownstown Central, at Madison

If you had to rank these non-conference schedules, what would you have?

I think it’s really hard to decide the order of the top two because I don’t really know much about Louisville Manual. Looks like they won a bunch of state titles a long time ago but I don’t know how relevant they are now. I’d say Louisville Male is the toughest of any of the non-conference opponents but I’ll give the slight edge to East for the overall depth of their three games (sorry Silver Creek) plus the fact two of the three are on the road.

1. Columbus East

2. Floyd Central

3. New Albany

4. BNL

5. Seymour

6. Jeffersonville

7. Jennings County 

I would agree almost entirely, but I would put Jeffersonville ahead of Seymour because Bell County is a really tough program. I also think Mount Vernon is an underrated opponent, as the PAC folks seem to think of them as a dark horse kind of team. Jeff has to go to MV, which will be quite a haul. 

East always plays a tough schedule and I think that helps them in the post season. It's nice to see New Albany and Floyd schedule tough. Like Male, Dupont Manual is a magnet school in Louisville, which means students have to apply to get in, so both school almost have this private school kind of vibe going for them, which seems to benefit them in athletics. Manual has won at least 9 games in 3 of the past 6 seasons, so they are always solid. I love the NA/GS matchup. I think it could go either way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

I would agree almost entirely, but I would put Jeffersonville ahead of Seymour because Bell County is a really tough program. I also think Mount Vernon is an underrated opponent, as the PAC folks seem to think of them as a dark horse kind of team. Jeff has to go to MV, which will be quite a haul. 

East always plays a tough schedule and I think that helps them in the post season. It's nice to see New Albany and Floyd schedule tough. Like Male, Dupont Manual is a magnet school in Louisville, which means students have to apply to get in, so both school almost have this private school kind of vibe going for them, which seems to benefit them in athletics. Manual has won at least 9 games in 3 of the past 6 seasons, so they are always solid. I love the NA/GS matchup. I think it could go either way.

Didn’t know much about Bell County except that, like Mount Vernon (Posey), their enrollment is in the 600s. Maybe I’m not giving those schools enough credit, but I penalized them both for that.