Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

23 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Jennings County has hired a new football coach 

E024AA36-F289-446C-86A0-880D27B796E0.jpeg

Just did some research on this guy and here’s what I found.

Luella High School Lions (Luella, GA - 45 minutes south of Atlanta)

2010 (5A): 3-7

2011 (5A): 4-6

2012 (6A): 2-8

2013 (6A): 5-6 *clinched playoffs*

2014 (5A): 5-5

2015 (5A): 4-6

2016 (4A): 5-6 *clinched playoffs*

- 28-44 (.389) record over seven seasons with two playoff appearances.

- First coach in school history to clinch a playoff spot more than once.

Mount Vernon High School Bulldogs (Mount Vernon, WA - 1 hour north of Seattle)

2017 (4A): 4-6

2018 (4A): 8-3 *clinched playoffs*

2019 (4A): 5-5 *clinched playoffs*

- 17-14 (.548) record over three seasons with two playoff appearances.

-Ended the school’s 21-game losing streak to their rival. Went 3-0 against them during his tenure.

-First coach in school history to clinch back-to-back playoff appearances.

Totals: 45-58 (.437) record over ten seasons with four playoff appearances.

My takeaway is that this guy has a track record of taking over bad programs and finding some success with them. Whether he can do that long-term is a reasonable question as his coaching tenure has never exceeded seven years at a particular school. Nevertheless, the short-term results are there and I think this is an exciting hire for a school that is in a similar situation as Vasilchek’s previous two head coaching stops.

8 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

-Ended the school’s 21-game losing streak to their rival. Went 3-0 against them during his tenure.

My takeaway is that this guy has a track record of taking over bad programs and finding some success with them. Whether he can do that long-term is a reasonable question as his coaching tenure has never exceeded seven years at a particular school. Nevertheless, the short-term results are there and I think this is an exciting hire for a school that is in a similar situation as Vasilchek’s previous two head coaching stops.

It should be noted that the Mount Vernon program Vasilchek inherited was on a 20-game losing streak.

It’s also important to note Vasilchek is a native of Evansville, Indiana and played college football at Kentucky Wesleyan where he graduated in 2003. He stayed on at the school as a tight ends coach after graduating before taking a couple of assistant coaching jobs at Indiana high schools (not sure where).

I found an article about him from when he took over the Mount Vernon job in Washington. Here’s his quote about his offensive scheme.

“I like to run the spread, but run first,” he said. “It’s no-huddle with a little different pace. Yes, it’s a running game out of a spread formation.”

Here’s what the article said about his defensive scheme.

On defense, Vasilchek runs an active 3-5 scheme with multiple blitzes. It’s a defense, he said, that doesn’t require big players.

18 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Looks like JC hired exactly what they needed. I hope he can turn that program around. 

• Like 1

I sincerely hope this works out for JC. The AD is young and seems to have a plan for moving in a positive direction for the whole athletic program. Massive facility upgrades have been going on in North Vernon the last few years. Hopefully they can drag the locals, kicking and screaming if necessary, into a competitive program.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I sincerely hope this works out for JC. The AD is young and seems to have a plan for moving in a positive direction for the whole athletic program. Massive facility upgrades have been going on in North Vernon the last few years. Hopefully they can drag the locals, kicking and screaming if necessary, into a competitive program.

I’m a huge fan of the AD. I’ve always said the previous regimes stunk because they never brought an outsider in. The school has a history of losing so bringing in your own begets more losing. A culture change was needed.

Luckily, Cory Stevens was hired in from the Chicago area and he has a vision of building the athletic department into a winner. He’s upset the status quo but has found he actually has a lot more support from the community than what people would’ve originally thought. He has made a couple of good football hires now and the baseball coach he brought in seems to be a winner as well. While wrestling has gone down a bit, boys and girls cross country have been really good and the boys track team has been winning sectional titles in recent years. On top of that, both the boys and girls basketball teams are having great years this year thus far. The girls have been on the rise for awhile while the boys shot up this year with their combination of experience and tremendous shooting ability.

These are some exciting times right now in the county and there’s starting to become an energy around here again. Hopefully it continues. It’s long overdue in this county.

We had the JC/Mooresville game. Pretty much the entire game there was literally some loudmouth standing at the rail, yelling at the coaching staff most of the game. I really felt horrible for the coaching staff. This season was a bad situation in general, but no one should have to be subjected to that. Imagine an official feeling bad for a coach who’s being yelled at. 
As far as the Wrestling program, you don’t want to be the guy who follows the legend. 
Good luck to the Panthers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Of course, you’re also a coach yourself, so ….

IO has been has been retired for several years. And the one of the main reasons was…….parents. My last season we were like 12-0, ranked, and I had to talk to a mom who’s kid had started and played every game, she was unhappy about where the kid was playing. It was about that point IO wondered why he had missed most of his own kid’s college career for this shit?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

IO has been has been retired for several years. And the one of the main reasons was…….parents. My last season we were like 12-0, ranked, and I had to talk to a mom who’s kid had started and played every game, she was unhappy about where the kid was playing. It was about that point IO wondered why he had missed most of his own kid’s college career for this shit?

This is why I don’t want to coach. I’d get myself in trouble because I would’ve asked her why she wasn’t coaching if she knew so much about it.

According to the new Department of Education enrollment numbers that @HoopsCoach posted in another thread, here are the enrollment numbers and rankings within the state.

29. Jeffersonville - 2,099

43. Floyd Central - 1,854

47. New Albany - 1,787

54. Seymour - 1,604

60. Columbus East - 1,534

69. BNL - 1,391

82. Jennings County - 1,180

Jeff, Floyd Central, Seymour, and East all experienced some growth. 

New Albany, BNL, and Jennings County all shrunk. I understand why Jennings County shrunk but what’s the deal with New Albany and BNL?

7 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

According to the new Department of Education enrollment numbers that @HoopsCoach posted in another thread, here are the enrollment numbers and rankings within the state.

29. Jeffersonville - 2,099

43. Floyd Central - 1,854

47. New Albany - 1,787

54. Seymour - 1,604

60. Columbus East - 1,534

69. BNL - 1,391

82. Jennings County - 1,180

Jeff, Floyd Central, Seymour, and East all experienced some growth. 

New Albany, BNL, and Jennings County all shrunk. I understand why Jennings County shrunk but what’s the deal with New Albany and BNL?

Are they going up the hill to Floyd since the hoops team is now better?? 😆

Kidding. Mostly... But that is really interesting. Just a few years ago, New Albany was over 2000. Floyd's enrollment seems to have been pretty steady around 1800. Looks like that sectional in 5a will remain pretty similar. 

7 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Are they going up the hill to Floyd since the hoops team is now better?? 😆

Kidding. Mostly... But that is really interesting. Just a few years ago, New Albany was over 2000. Floyd's enrollment seems to have been pretty steady around 1800. Looks like that sectional in 5a will remain pretty similar. 

With Jeffersonville now back in 6A, I wonder if the sectional will shrink to four teams or if they will pull someone else in as the fifth team. Probably depends on who’s in 5A once the IHSAA determines who’s moving up and who’s moving down due to the success factor.

12 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

With Jeffersonville now back in 6A, I wonder if the sectional will shrink to four teams or if they will pull someone else in as the fifth team. Probably depends on who’s in 5A once the IHSAA determines who’s moving up and who’s moving down due to the success factor.

Agreed, there could be a lot to impact it. It may also depend if they decide to keep 34 in 5a again. For now, I see sectional 14 and 16 remaining the same, minus Jeff for 16. But depending on who gets in 5a, it could impact 14 with a possible additional team. I don't think there is anyone far enough south to add to 16, unless they wanted to bump East to it. It's just my opinion, but the all HHC sectionals just aren't as much fun. 

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

Agreed, there could be a lot to impact it. It may also depend if they decide to keep 34 in 5a again. For now, I see sectional 14 and 16 remaining the same, minus Jeff for 16. But depending on who gets in 5a, it could impact 14 with a possible additional team. I don't think there is anyone far enough south to add to 16, unless they wanted to bump East to it. It's just my opinion, but the all HHC sectionals just aren't as much fun. 

I just realized 16 will be losing BNL too since the Stars are now a 4A school. If Cathedral gets moved up to 6A and New Palestine gets moved back to 4A then I could see Whiteland, Franklin, Columbus East, and Seymour being in sectional 14. Then I could see sectional 16 going back to an alignment they used in the past where Floyd Central, New Albany, Castle, and Evansville North are together.

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I just realized 16 will be losing BNL too since the Stars are now a 4A school. If Cathedral gets moved up to 6A and New Palestine gets moved back to 4A then I could see Whiteland, Franklin, Columbus East, and Seymour being in sectional 14. Then I could see sectional 16 going back to an alignment they used in the past where Floyd Central, New Albany, Castle, and Evansville North are together.

Seymour as well as CE will be 5A. 
Seymour’s growth is mostly Hispanic, amounting to nearly a 1/3 of enrollment. 

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Seymour as well as CE will be 5A. 
Seymour’s growth is mostly Hispanic, amounting to nearly a 1/3 of enrollment. 

There were jokes made when I was in high school about their high Hispanic population. I brushed it off thinking it wasn’t any higher than what Columbus had, but I also didn’t take percentage of the population into account. It’s crazy to hear it’s now nearly 1/3 of the total population. I guess I still look at Seymour as a bit of a backwoods area and not as something that would attract minorities.

54 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

There were jokes made when I was in high school about their high Hispanic population. I brushed it off thinking it wasn’t any higher than what Columbus had, but I also didn’t take percentage of the population into account. It’s crazy to hear it’s now nearly 1/3 of the total population. I guess I still look at Seymour as a bit of a backwoods area and not as something that would attract minorities.

Superintendent told me fall of 20 it was about  32%-34% and it hasn’t gotten any smaller since. I am told by those in the know the majority of newcomers are Honduran and Guatemalan. 
County line is about 1 1/2 miles north of me, perhaps the urban chic is bleeding over from Bartholomew County. 

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Superintendent told me fall of 20 it was about  32%-34% and it hasn’t gotten any smaller since. I am told by those in the know the majority of newcomers are Honduran and Guatemalan. 
County line is about 1 1/2 miles north of me, perhaps the urban chic is bleeding over from Bartholomew County. 

Honduran and Guatemalan? Wow. Wasn’t expecting anything other than Mexican in these parts.

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

After further consideration, Nic Vasilchek has decided not to take the coaching job at Jennings County. Back to the drawing board for the Panthers.

Cant imagine this goes well for Jennings... in talking with a coach who had an assistant that interviewed for that job, he said that the call came before Christmas that he didnt get the job after interviewing. With that much time lapsed, and the time it will take for a new approval, cant imagine any of the "no's" are interested this time around. 

Edited by RetiredCoach91
  • Like 1