Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

I see BHSN as the most realistic candidate. 

If they joined, that would probably trigger a collapse of CI. 

Yeah I don’t think Conference Indiana could survive another defection. I’ve heard some folks say they should bring in Northview but that doesn’t make the conference any better. Also makes life much more difficult athletically for Northview.

6 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

It would also not make sense for the HHC to have teams with the same mascot. 

That honestly doesn’t bother me. College sports made me numb to it. The SEC has the Auburn Tigers, LSU Tigers, and Missouri Tigers as well as the Georgia Bulldogs and Mississippi State Bulldogs. The Atlantic 10 has the Fordham Rams, Rhode Island Rams, and VCU Rams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I think it should stay at 7.

Silver Creek fits geographically and could jump right in immediately but they need to grow some more. They’re 47th in 4A with 913 students. The smallest school currently in the HHC is Jennings County at #22 in 4A with 1,181 students. 

Jennings County is shrinking quickly though. They’ve lost nearly a quarter of their student population since 2011. If that trend continues, they won’t be able to keep up in the HHC. Wouldn’t be surprised if they leave by 2030 if things don’t change.

Back to the original question though, Silver Creek could jump in now but I don’t think it’s the right time for them. Personally, I’d love to see Bloomington North, Bloomington South, and Columbus North join. I think it’s beneath Bloomington South and Columbus North to do that. I think Bloomington North would at least entertain the idea. 

Nevertheless, as I stated originally, let’s stick with 7. If the HHC and/or the Conference Indiana landscape changes, or if Silver Creek has a boom in growth, then we can entertain the idea of adding some schools.

I think more of a possibility than Silver Creek joint the HHC is Jeff, FC, and New Albany leave HHC to form a conference with a growing Charlestown and Silver Creek 

14 minutes ago, PiratePride said:

I think more of a possibility than Silver Creek joint the HHC is Jeff, FC, and New Albany leave HHC to form a conference with a growing Charlestown and Silver Creek 

I would think they’d need to have a sixth school. There are 37 conferences that sponsor football but only five have less than six members. It’s too difficult to go with less teams, especially for larger schools near the Ohio River in the southeast portion of the state. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PiratePride said:

I don’t like that Idea. I like playing teams North of us. It’s fun to go to Seymour, Bedford, Columbus, and North Vernon. I’m just an old school Indiana guy who enjoys the state I guess. 

11 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

HHC Football Champions By Year:

1973: Bedford and Madison

1974: Jennings County 

1975: BNL

1976: Columbus East 

1977: Bloomington North 

1978: Columbus East 

1979: Columbus East 

1980: BNL

1981: BNL

1982: Jeffersonville

1983: Columbus East 

1984: Columbus East and New Albany 

1985: New Albany 

1986: Columbus East 

1987: Jeffersonville

1988: Jeffersonville

1989: Columbus East, Floyd Central, and Madison

1990: Columbus East, Jeffersonville, and Floyd Central 

1991: Jeffersonville

1992: Jeffersonville

1993: Jeffersonville

1994: Columbus East 

1995: BNL

1996: Floyd Central 

1997: Jeffersonville

1998: Floyd Central 

1999: Seymour

2000: Seymour

2001: Seymour

2002: New Albany

2003: Floyd Central 

2004: Columbus East 

2005: Columbus East

2006: BNL and Columbus East 

2007: Columbus East 

2008: Columbus East 

2009: Columbus East

2010: Columbus East 

2011: Columbus East 

2012: Columbus East 

2013: Columbus East 

2014: Columbus East 

2015: Columbus East 

2016: Columbus East 

2017: Columbus East 

2018: Columbus East 

2019: Columbus East

2020: Columbus East 

2021: New Albany 

Just realized there’s a typo on here. East has won 26 HHC championships, not 24.

It’s pretty evident that Columbus East has been the class of the HHC. Definitely the most dominant. Floyd Central and Jeffersonville have been the next 2 best programs in the HHC historically.

11 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Also, I think it’s interesting that back in the 60s, there was talk of just having a Floyd County HS. Instead of NA and FC being split. Could you imagine that? 3700 enrollment school in this part of the state?

Yeah that’s exactly the number of students Columbus High School would have if it had never split in 1972.

23 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

It’s pretty evident that Columbus East has been the class of the HHC. Definitely the most dominant. Floyd Central and Jeffersonville have been the next 2 best programs in the HHC historically.

I feel like BNL is right there with them. I’ll need to research it though. Probably going to add up every team’s conference wins and losses to rank each school by winning percentage. I’ll probably also add up their final position in the standings each year and divide it by the number of years in the HHC to find the average. Those stats will reveal the HHC hierarchy.

39 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah that’s exactly the number of students Columbus High School would have if it had never split in 1972.

Yeah they’d be ridiculous as well.

32 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I feel like BNL is right there with them. I’ll need to research it though. Probably going to add up every team’s conference wins and losses to rank each school by winning percentage. I’ll probably also add up their final position in the standings each year and divide it by the number of years in the HHC to find the average. Those stats will reveal the HHC hierarchy.

I’ve basically done it. It’s like East, Jeffersonville, Floyd Central. In that order.

10 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

I believe if I’m not mistaken FC was originally in the MSC. They were a smaller county school back then. 

9 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Yeah they’d be ridiculous as well.

I’ve basically done it. It’s like East, Jeffersonville, Floyd Central. In that order.

East had strong years in the late 70’s early 80’s. Jeff used to be a lot stronger football program. 70’s and 80’s Jeff was a solid program, back in the Patterson days. Even under Ware early in his career Jeff was a program you had to deal with. Jeff has had a LOT lean years since. East had some lean years at the end of Stafford’s tenure. FC back in the day was usually solid, occasionally having a good year. Towards the end of the Weigleb tenure obviously during the ensuing years things went south. New Albany has been in a perpetual state of rebuilding for as long as I can remember. I can recall two decent teams in the years I’ve been around, other than that a lot of .500 or sub .500 seasons. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:32 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

Silver Creek fits geographically and could jump right in immediately but they need to grow some more. They’re 47th in 4A with 913 students. The smallest school currently in the HHC is Jennings County at #22 in 4A with 1,181 students. 

You don't have to worry about Silver Creek growing.  As I look out my window at former farmland, there is now a subdivision with about 300 houses, and its not halfway built out.  Quarter mile down the road, a new one is being developed, 75 more.   New apartment complex in downtown Hamburg, 250+ units.  New apartment complex across the road. 250 more.  300 more under development  1/2 mile down the road towards New Albany.   All within a mile of Hamburg, not even in Sellersburg or north of Sellersburg.    

Keep Sellersburg Small!!

1 hour ago, SPARKS said:

You don't have to worry about Silver Creek growing.  As I look out my window at former farmland, there is now a subdivision with about 300 houses, and its not halfway built out.  Quarter mile down the road, a new one is being developed, 75 more.   New apartment complex in downtown Hamburg, 250+ units.  New apartment complex across the road. 250 more.  300 more under development  1/2 mile down the road towards New Albany.   All within a mile of Hamburg, not even in Sellersburg or north of Sellersburg.    

Keep Sellersburg Small!!

Forgive my lack of knowledge of the school districts down there. Is that in Silver Creek’s district? I remember there being a districting issue down there but I don’t remember all the details.

Well I looked up the year by year schedules for every HHC team since 1973 in order to compile each school’s total wins, total losses, and winning percentage in HHC games (not including non-conference regular season games or postseason games). In doing so, I found some very strange scheduling oddities. There were some imbalanced schedules in quite a few seasons, especially after membership changes. I’ve included every instance below.

1973: Bedford (2-0) and Madison (1-0) were co-champions. Jennings County went 1-2 while Columbus East went 0-2. Bedford defeated Jennings County and Columbus East but did not play Madison. Madison only played Jennings County.

1976: As the HHC expanded to 7 teams, the conference schedules were greatly imbalanced. BNL played 5 games; Columbus East, Jennings County, and Madison played 4 games; Floyd Central and Bloomington North entered only playing 3 games; and New Albany entered only playing 1 game (Floyd Central). Despite the fact New Albany went 1-0 in HHC play, the conference title was awarded to Columbus East for going 4-0.

1977: Conference schedules were still greatly imbalanced. Floyd Central and Jennings County were the only teams to play a full 6 game HHC schedule. BNL and Madison played 5 games, Columbus East and Bloomington North played 4 games, and New Albany played 2 games. Despite the fact New Albany went 2-0, the HHC title went to Bloomington North for going 4-0.

1979: Jeffersonville joins and causes imbalanced scheduling once again. Despite playing only Floyd Central and New Albany (and beating both), both games are considered non-conference games. Not really sure why. The other 7 teams all played each other with Columbus East coming out as HHC champs at 6-0.

1980: Once again, Jeffersonville only plays 2 HHC games (Floyd Central and New Albany again). However, this time the games count as conference games. The other 7 teams play each other which means 5 of them played a 6 game conference schedule while Floyd Central and New Albany are credited with playing 7 games. BNL takes the title with a 6-0 record.

1981: All 8 teams play each other except Jeffersonville doesn’t play Bloomington North for some reason. BNL repeats as champs at 6-1.

1982: Same as the previous year although now Madison also does not play Bloomington North. Jeffersonville takes the title at 6-0.

1983-1988: Back down to 7 schools as Bloomington North has departed. Strangely, Floyd Central, Jeffersonville, and Jennings County spend the next 6 years playing a full 6 game HHC schedule while the other 4 teams only play 5 games. Columbus East and New Albany do not play each other during this period. BNL and Madison also don’t play each other during this period.

1989-1996: For the next 8 years, Columbus East and New Albany continue to avoid each other as do BNL and Madison. However, now Jeffersonville and Jennings County aren’t playing each other. Floyd Central is the only team playing all 6 conference opponents.

2018: After Seymour joined in 1997, each team played a full 7 game HHC schedule until now as Madison and Jennings County have convinced the conference to go to a 6 game schedule. However, 4 teams aren’t able to find a third true non-conference opponent. Therefore, they decide to play their normal conference opponents. Jeffersonville plays Seymour and Columbus East plays Floyd Central. Nevertheless, these are not counted as HHC games.

2021: All 8 teams somehow make it through their 6 game HHC schedules in 2020 despite the height of the pandemic. However, Floyd Central and Seymour aren’t so lucky in 2021 as Seymour gets hit with COVID. Both play a 5 game HHC schedule while the other 5 teams play the full 6 games.

Below are the HHC win-loss records and winning percentages of all 10 HHC teams (past and present). 1,100 total games have been officially played.

1. Bedford: 2-0 (100%)

2. Columbus East: 220-69 (76.12%)

3. Jeffersonville: 165-96 (63.22%)

4. Floyd Central: 173-123 (58.45%)

5. BNL: 157-132 (54.33%)

6. Seymour: 90-80 (52.94%)

7. New Albany: 146-131 (52.71%)

8. Bloomington North: 16-20 (44.44%)

9. Madison: 64-218 (22.70%)

10. Jennings County: 67-231 (22.48%)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

East had strong years in the late 70’s early 80’s. Jeff used to be a lot stronger football program. 70’s and 80’s Jeff was a solid program, back in the Patterson days. Even under Ware early in his career Jeff was a program you had to deal with. Jeff has had a LOT lean years since. East had some lean years at the end of Stafford’s tenure. FC back in the day was usually solid, occasionally having a good year. Towards the end of the Weigleb tenure obviously during the ensuing years things went south. New Albany has been in a perpetual state of rebuilding for as long as I can remember. I can recall two decent teams in the years I’ve been around, other than that a lot of .500 or sub .500 seasons. 

Wiegleb was really solid. He’s held in high regard around here.

7 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Wiegleb was really solid. He’s held in high regard around here.

I played for him as well. His 1998 team was his best team. They lost in the Regional in a close game to Cathedral. His 2001 team was really good but lost to state champion Jasper. In 2003 they won the HHC but lost in Sectionals to Curtis Painter and Vincennes Lincoln. Wiegleb retired, and he turned it over to his OC and things went really south untill Glesing put them back on decent footing.

13 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Forgive my lack of knowledge of the school districts down there. Is that in Silver Creek’s district? I remember there being a districting issue down there but I don’t remember all the details.

Yes, all of that is. From the Clark/Floyd line all the way west to the 111/60 intersection and east to the 403/Salem Noble Road intersection. Just north of Memphis for the northern border. The whole area is absolutely booming with development as Sparks said. To the west is Borden, north is Henryville and east is Charlestown. Borden and Henryville used to be a part of their district, but are now a combined district separate from Creek.

• Like 1

Week 2 Picks

Bloomington North (0-1) at Bedford North Lawrence (0-1): The Cougars have won 14 of the last 15 against the Stars, including the last three, and lead the series 21-14. Both teams are coming off week 1 losses to Mid-State Conference teams. Bloomington North had the bigger loss but played a tougher opponent. This game could be closer than most expect but I’m going with Bloomington North to get the W.

Columbus East (0-1) at Columbus North (0-1): For the first time since 1999, one of the state’s biggest football rivalries will not have Bob Gaddis nor Tim Bless on the sidelines. Instead, it’s now Eddie Vogel vs Logan Haston. (Personally, that is very weird to me.) The Bull Dogs lead the overall series 26-25 and come into the game having won five out of the last six. The Olympians seemed to struggle in the second half last week as Whiteland’s huge lines wore them down. Too many guys playing both sides of the ball probably didn’t help either. North has traditionally had some big lines as well and I feel that spells more trouble for East, especially given North gave 5A #2 Decatur Central a tough game last week (the final score isn’t indicative of how close the game actually was). Unfortunately, I think North wins.

Floyd Central (0-1) at 6A #4 Louisville duPont Manual (1-0): The Highlanders and Crimsons meet for the second time ever after Manual’s 34-7 win last year. I don’t expect anything different this year. Manual wins.

Jeffersonville (0-0) at Seymour (0-1): It’s kind of hard to pick this game since we have no information on Jeff to go off of. The Red Devils lead this series 33-22-1 and have defeated the Owls nine out of the last 11 times, including the last two. Seymour has more hype going into this year, though, and I think that puts them on top of the HHC standings after week 2. Seymour wins.

Jennings County (0-1) at Brown County (0-1): This has been a fun little series between two teams known for being subpar on the gridiron. The Panthers and Eagles met for the first time in 2018 and have played every season since. Aside from the first meeting (which Jennings County won by 28), every game has been decided by seven points or less. The Panthers took the first two games in the series but Brown County has won the last two. Last week, Jennings County was shut out 28-0 at South Dearborn while Brown County got demolished by Owen Valley 77-7. Based on those results, I’m going with Jennings County to get the win.

New Albany (0-1) at 3A #3 Gibson Southern (1-0): The Bulldogs and Titans played for the first time ever last year and it turned into a 39 point beatdown of New Albany. Gibson Southern would go on to win its first ever state title while New Albany would go on to win its first ever regional title. Both teams lost significant players to graduation after last season. However, the Bulldogs are rebuilding while the Titans are reloading. Wouldn’t be surprised to see another blowout this year. Gibson Southern wins.