Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

14 minutes ago, Fogertyputmein said:

East is just limited with skill guys. Talent is the issue and in my opinion I don’t think the results would be much different with Gaddis. Vogel and staff are working hard with the jimmys and joes they have to work with 

Yeah I think the lack of skill guys was very evident last night. It’s why I wasn’t critical of this loss like I was the first two. Granted, Whiteland and Columbus North were much tougher opponents. The issue I had, though, was the mismanagement of substitutions that either led to penalties or unnecessary timeouts. That seems to have gotten cleaned up since then.

I try not to be critical but it’s hard. I was spoiled watching East dominate the HHC for 17 years. 13 of those years they were a threat to be a semi-state team at the very least. Even during the run, we all knew it could come to an end at any time but we didn’t expect it to go on as long as it did. I think that makes it harder. Nevertheless, nothing ever stays the same and context matters. I’m trying to be better and I think I have been. 

While this team likely won’t make it far in the tournament, I’m at least going to enjoy how the rest of the regular season goes. I think it’s going to be fun seeing three teams chase at least a share of an HHC championship. It hasn’t been this competitive in a long time. 2006 was the last time a conference championship was shared. 1990 was the last time it was shared by three teams.

It hurts because Floyd Central is one play away from beating Seymour. But on the other hand, could’ve been one play away from losing to East? But I agree with you guys. The HHC has become competitive and it’s actually enjoyable for a lot of people.

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah I think the lack of skill guys was very evident last night. It’s why I wasn’t critical of this loss like I was the first two. Granted, Whiteland and Columbus North were much tougher opponents. The issue I had, though, was the mismanagement of substitutions that either led to penalties or unnecessary timeouts. That seems to have gotten cleaned up since then.

I try not to be critical but it’s hard. I was spoiled watching East dominate the HHC for 17 years. 13 of those years they were a threat to be a semi-state team at the very least. Even during the run, we all knew it could come to an end at any time but we didn’t expect it to go on as long as it did. I think that makes it harder. Nevertheless, nothing ever stays the same and context matters. I’m trying to be better and I think I have been. 

While this team likely won’t make it far in the tournament, I’m at least going to enjoy how the rest of the regular season goes. I think it’s going to be fun seeing three teams chase at least a share of an HHC championship. It hasn’t been this competitive in a long time. 2006 was the last time a conference championship was shared. 1990 was the last time it was shared by three teams.

You’re a better fan then I am. I’ll give you that. It took me going into the Lions den to earn some of my dignity back.

• Like 1

Not much on Conference Championship implications this weekend outside of FC/BNL. East can lose tomorrow and they would be ok, but obviously they want to bounce back. Jeff/NA is a good rivalry game but they’re basically playing for pride right now. With all due respect to JC, I don’t see Seymour losing at home tomorrow. I expect FC and BNL to be a great game. The thing here is that BNL is at home and they’ve been playing well. They’ll be motivated tomorrow especially since they’re in the conference race. Memphis Loudan is a very good QB. BNL is a good team IMO. Floyd Central has been playing really good defense and I think their team is built around that. The East win really rejuvenated our community. I know the East fans are disappointed in their program but this goes to show you how much respect you guys get. El Nopal in Highlander Point looked like an episode of Friday Night Lights after the game. I think the big key for tomorrow is for FCs program to kind of put that game in the past and not come out overconfident tomorrow. BNL certainly isn’t going to overlook them.

Edited by Fkfootball

Week 7 Predictions

Bloomington North (3-3) at Columbus East (3-3): From 2012-2017, these two teams opened their seasons against one another with the Olympians winning all six games. Prior to that, they last played in 1998 which is the last time you can find a Cougar win. In total, East leads the series 12-4. As for tomorrow night, East’s winning streak is in jeopardy. While I cannot tell you firsthand what Bloomington North has personnel-wise, I have to believe they aren’t lacking in size and skill. They may not be the biggest or the most athletic, but any bit of either is enough to give East’s offense problems. Last week is a prime example of why East needs to put up points to be successful. As a matter of fact, East is 1-19 since 2007 when they score less than 20 points. East’s defense is good but I don’t think the offense will do their part. Bloomington North wins.

Floyd Central (3-3, 2-1 HHC) at Bedford North Lawrence (3-3, 3-1 HHC): The Highlanders have won four straight against the Stars and lead the all-time series 29-23. It’ll be interesting to see how Floyd Central performs in this game after such a huge win last week. Will they be level-headed and not take BNL for granted? I believe their approach to this game will decide the winner. Considering how they’ve performed thus far, it’s hard to go against them now. Floyd Central is my pick.

Jennings County (1-5, 0-3 HHC) at Seymour (3-3, 3-1 HHC): Of all the HHC rivalries, it doesn’t get any more lopsided than this one. The Owls hold a 46-10 advantage and have won seven straight in the series. The Panthers haven’t even won two in a row against them since the 70s. There isn’t much to say here as I expect it to be a bloodbath. Seymour wins big.

New Albany (1-5, 1-2 HHC) at Jeffersonville (1-4, 0-3 HHC): Another rivalry game, although this one is much better, as the Red Devils lead the series 41-36-2. The teams have traded wins the last four games and I wouldn’t be surprised if that continues this year. Jeff finally got in the win column last week after stifling Silver Creek and now they have a good chance of getting into the HHC win column this week. For the Bulldogs, this game is their best shot at picking up a second conference win. However, if Jeff stays poised and disciplined then they should be fine. I’m taking Jeff.

10 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

El Nopal > The Cactus 

There. I said it. 

56 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

The Cactus is cheaper though. Lol.

Perhaps something is lost in translation. Apparently there is a cheap Mexican Restaurant in the Floyd’s Knobs area called the Cactus, tell us more?

In the greater metro area of Seymour we do not have such a restaurant, however we often refer to the local El Nopal as “The Cactus” because well, you know. IO actually has his own bar stool at multiple locations now. Cheapest place around to drink, I highly recommend the fishbowl margaritas, I typically go for the pitcher myself it’s a little better value. 32oz domestic drafts 5.50, imports 6.50. One of the few bars you’ll find Modello Negra on tap. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Perhaps something is lost in translation. Apparently there is a cheap Mexican Restaurant in the Floyd’s Knobs area called the Cactus, tell us more?

In the greater metro area of Seymour we do not have such a restaurant, however we often refer to the local El Nopal as “The Cactus” because well, you know. IO actually has his own bar stool at multiple locations now. Cheapest place around to drink, I highly recommend the fishbowl margaritas, I typically go for the pitcher myself it’s a little better value. 32oz domestic drafts 5.50, imports 6.50. One of the few bars you’ll find Modello Negra on tap. 

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, we have a restaurant called the Yellow Cactus on Paoli Pike in Floyds Knobs, I highly recommend the next time you visit the area.

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

In the greater metro area of Seymour we do not have such a restaurant, however we often refer to the local El Nopal as “The Cactus” because well, you know. IO actually has his own bar stool at multiple locations now. Cheapest place around to drink, I highly recommend the fishbowl margaritas, I typically go for the pitcher myself it’s a little better value. 32oz domestic drafts 5.50, imports 6.50. One of the few bars you’ll find Modello Negra on tap

I can attest to this!

el nopal.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Yes, FK said it well. My only experience at the Cactus led to food poisoning. That makes the decision pretty easy. 

Also - this week's picks...

Bloomington North at Columbus East

Floyd Central at Bedford NL

Jennings County at Seymour 

New Albany at Jeffersonville 

Edited by boilerfan87
added picks for the week

2 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Since we are on the food topic. Recommendations for the Bedford area?

The wing ding thing at 37/50 is about your only option that time of night. There’s a Mexican place that faces 50 in the same lot that’s pretty solid, they tend to close early. I hear good things about Momma Rosa’s in Salem just off the square, Santa Fe is meh, in in Brownstown if you’re driving that way.