• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

45 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

BNL @ Seymour

Jeff @ FC

Madison @ JC

East @ NA

Anything? Anyone?  

BNL @ Seymour : Injuries mounting up on Defense for Seymour, but with Bedford down this year - should make for a good game. Seymour in a close one.

Jeff @ FC : Taking FC on this strictly by FC consistency. Jeff has athletes to compete and stop a fast back, but many go both ways for Jeff. I see FC running away late.

Madison @ JC : I like Madison in this game. Madison has the ability to cover and JC has no running game. Madison in a close one.

East @ NA : East - the class of the conference-  will not be challenged all year in conference play.

7 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

BNL @ Seymour

Jeff @ FC

Madison @ JC

East @ NA

Anything? Anyone? 

1. Seymour. I really like Coach Kelly. They have a terrific RB too. 

2. FC. Floyd has a better defense, and although Jeff has speed, I’m not sure they have Wenkers Wright speed.

3. Madison. I’m intrigued by their new coach. I think he will improve their program.

4. East. They’ll name the score.

Good luck to all HHC teams!

10 hours ago, TIFootball said:

In my opinion, I would agree with SC, but I would replace Charlestown with Brownstown. Brownstown is the better school year after year.

I honestly think CE does themselves a dis-service staying in the HHC (Specifically football) - I think their poor schedule strength negatively impacts them in 6a tourney play. There is no challenge - for what - 15 years?? Tell me how this is good for any program trying to be best in state. I think Brownstown is in a similar boat - albeit a smaller scale. I just want to see competitiveness in sectionals and conference play.

End result - East move on to bigger better things - Bring in enough teams into HHC to split the conference. Now, back to reality ….

East tried to move to the Mid-State Conference but the MSC chose Perry Meridian to be the eighth member instead. Conference Indiana tried to get East to join but the drive to Terre Haute wasn't economical for them and the conference seems to lack stability.

East has done the best they can with scheduling given their situation. Columbus North is a quality opponent and can't be dropped regardless because of the rivalry. Greenwood was the season opener from 1997-2011. They used to be a quality opponent but really fell off when Rick Wimmer left after 2005. Bloomington North replaced them from 2012-2017 and was supposed to be a step up but they only ended up having one winning season during that span. Whiteland has been the season opener since last year and that's definitely no easy task, especially with the offensive scheme they run. Pickerington Central, one of the top Ohio programs, was brought in for week 3 this year. The consolidated Elkhart High School will be the week 3 opponent next year. So the schedule has definitely picked up in the non-conference portion.

If schedule-strength made a difference anyway then somebody forgot to tell East. 2004-2018 produced ten semi-state appearances, three state championship appearances, and two state titles. The jump up to 5A in 2015 didn't make a difference. Some big name programs fell to East in that 15 year time-frame despite having played much tougher schedules. Normally, I'd agree that a tough schedule sharpens a team and helps them improve by learning their weaknesses. However, if you have a great coach, you're going to improve and be ready for any challenge at your door. Just ask New Palestine. I agree that 6A is a different beast entirely but would a tougher conference affiliation really make a difference? No team outside of the big four in the MIC has won a 6A state title since that classification began in 2013. If you go back to the pre-6A days, Fishers is the only non-big 4 MIC team to have won a state title at the highest level this millennium. 

Me- Approaching the podium, pulling out a written statement, and leaning into the microphone...

"I would like to offer my sincere apologies to my HHC family for igniting the flames of conference realignment talk. I promise you that this wasn't my intention as I honestly thought my comment wouldn't go anywhere. I, too, am disgusted where it went as I also believe this conversation has been overly-discussed. Looking back on it, I see the error of my ways and will try to be mindful of my words before, during, and after I type them before clicking on the "submit reply" button.

Nevertheless, I guess I could also say you're welcome. This thread seems to die from Sunday through Thursday anymore and now I know what exactly to post to bring everyone (including those we don't often see take part in the conversation) back in. However, in an effort to not be one of the infamous Gridiron Digest trolls, I will refrain from this practice and just hope meaningful discussions where everyone contributes can continue. Thank you. God bless you. And God bless America."

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

East tried to move to the Mid-State Conference but the MSC chose Perry Meridian to be the eighth member instead. Conference Indiana tried to get East to join but the drive to Terre Haute wasn't economical for them and the conference seems to lack stability.

East has done the best they can with scheduling given their situation. Columbus North is a quality opponent and can't be dropped regardless because of the rivalry. Greenwood was the season opener from 1997-2011. They used to be a quality opponent but really fell off when Rick Wimmer left after 2005. Bloomington North replaced them from 2012-2017 and was supposed to be a step up but they only ended up having one winning season during that span. Whiteland has been the season opener since last year and that's definitely no easy task, especially with the offensive scheme they run. Pickerington Central, one of the top Ohio programs, was brought in for week 3 this year. The consolidated Elkhart High School will be the week 3 opponent next year. So the schedule has definitely picked up in the non-conference portion.

If schedule-strength made a difference anyway then somebody forgot to tell East. 2004-2018 produced ten semi-state appearances, three state championship appearances, and two state titles. The jump up to 5A in 2015 didn't make a difference. Some big name programs fell to East in that 15 year time-frame despite having played much tougher schedules. Normally, I'd agree that a tough schedule sharpens a team and helps them improve by learning their weaknesses. However, if you have a great coach, you're going to improve and be ready for any challenge at your door. Just ask New Palestine. I agree that 6A is a different beast entirely but would a tougher conference affiliation really make a difference? No team outside of the big four in the MIC has won a 6A state title since that classification began in 2013. If you go back to the pre-6A days, Fishers is the only non-big 4 MIC team to have won a state title at the highest level this millennium. 

East definitely has done they best they can given their schedule - and is THE premier team in southern Indiana - no question. I think the additions to the non conference schedule East has made is top notch. With that being said - i just think a tougher conference would help East against the big boys.

Maybe a different angle - and probably somewhat taboo - but what about athletes that leave other HHC schools for bigger better programs? I know it's a battle every year keeping what we have in Seymour between middle school and high school years - transferring to Brownstown, Columbus schools etc. I remember when New Albany lost a great player to Saint X and Madison loosing to Columbus schools. I am genuinely curious as to how frequent this happens to other schools.

1 hour ago, TIFootball said:

East definitely has done they best they can given their schedule - and is THE premier team in southern Indiana - no question. I think the additions to the non conference schedule East has made is top notch. With that being said - i just think a tougher conference would help East against the big boys.

Maybe a different angle - and probably somewhat taboo - but what about athletes that leave other HHC schools for bigger better programs? I know it's a battle every year keeping what we have in Seymour between middle school and high school years - transferring to Brownstown, Columbus schools etc. I remember when New Albany lost a great player to Saint X and Madison loosing to Columbus schools. I am genuinely curious as to how frequent this happens to other schools.

NA has lost several players to St. X/Trinity in Louisville. It's been a big problem at NA, and Jeffersonville too for many years. Now, I know that some of this is NA's fault. The lack of coaching consistency and staff have certainly contributed to the problem. For many years the NA administration didn't really fight transfers much......there is only so much you can do in any case. NA has a fairly talented group of sophomores playing varsity right now....the question will be can they hold on to all these guys? Part of this is also on the state of kentucky (lower case k is intentional 😉), who turn a blind eye to this stuff. My understanding is Trinity (the worst offender), has players on the varsity from 5 counties in Ky and 2 from IN. 

Imagine if NA could have kept these players....all from NA.

Duece Finch- went to ST. X, then played RB for Boston College.

Nate Combs- went to St. X, then played LB and was a Captain for Army.

Jarius Brents- many schools in Louisville area. Was a KY state champion in track. Signed to play DB at Louisville, but was dismissed from team.

Rondale Moore- played 2 years at NA, then transferred to Trinity, now at Purdue and a star.

Stephon Herron- played at NA as a freshman, transferred to Trinity, now is a Freshman OLB at Stanford.

Finch and Combs would have been at NA at the same time. Brents, Moore and Herron would have been teammates as well. It's a sad state of affairs, but there it is.

Edited by Dawgs_Dad
  • Like 3

BNL @ Seymour

Jeff @ FC

Madison @ JC

East @ NA

Madison/JC is the tough call this week. It is a game that can always go either way. I am going with Madison because they are likely carrying some momentum from last week's win against BNL. 

And just because it has been brought up, I think the scheduling adjustment is a nice compromise from splitting the conference entirely. It provides some scheduling flexibility and if you're the smaller schools, you avoid one of the big dogs each year. 

25 minutes ago, TIFootball said:

New Albany/Floyd/Jeff all have issues losing kids to the local private schools, especially Louisville schools. It's not a huge issue, but will affect some top notch players. Madison and JC lose players to Columbus schools. 

2 hours ago, TIFootball said:

And everyone knows who facilitates it. 

40 minutes ago, Dawgs_Dad said:

NA has lost several players to St. X/Trinity in Louisville. It's been a big problem at NA, and Jeffersonville too for many years. Now, I know that some of this is NA's fault. The lack of coaching consistency and staff have certainly contributed to the problem. For many years the NA administration didn't really fight transfers much......there is only so much you can do in any case. NA has a fairly talented group of sophomores playing varsity right now....the question will be can they hold on to all these guys? Part of this is also on the state of kentucky (lower case k is intentional 😉), who turn a blind eye to this stuff. My understanding is Trinity (the worst offender), has players on the varsity from 5 counties in Ky and 2 from IN. 

Jarius Brents- many schools in Louisville area. Was a KY state champion in track. Signed to play DB at Louisville, but was dismissed from team.

Rondale Moore- played 2 years at NA, then transferred to Trinity, now at Purdue and a star.

Stephon Herron- played at NA as a freshman, transferred to Trinity, now is a Freshman OLB at Stanford.

Finch and Combs would have been at NA at the same time. Brents, Moore and Herron would have been teammates as well. It's a sad state of affairs, but there it is.

One can only conclude Trinity and St. X have a better brand of Catholicism than  Providence.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dawgs_Dad said:

That has been a MAJOR blow to NA football. I’d like to see NA get back to being a good program.

4 hours ago, TIFootball said:

Jennings County has a major problem of losing athletes to other schools too, and not just in football. Columbus East, Greensburg, South Decatur, Trinity Lutheran, and Brownstown Central are just some of the beneficiaries. The Decatur County schools (South Decatur and Greensburg) seem to be getting the largest amount of defectors.

17 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Jennings County has a major problem of losing athletes to other schools too, and not just in football. Columbus East, Greensburg, South Decatur, Trinity Lutheran, and Brownstown Central are just some of the beneficiaries. The Decatur County schools (South Decatur and Greensburg) seem to be getting the largest amount of defectors.

There seems to be a steady stream of BB players headed up  HWY3 to Westport.....hmmmmm. Any possibility of this trend continuing with the new football hire?

9 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

There seems to be a steady stream of BB players headed up  HWY3 to Westport.....hmmmmm. Any possibility of this trend continuing with the new football hire?

Time will tell. Coach Sharp really has the community excited. I've heard the student section is the best it's been in years. A freshmen football team has returned. Sharp is involving himself with the youth program. He's really trying to build it from the ground up. It'll take some time so we'll see if he, the student-athletes, and the community remain patient. I really do think he's exactly what the school and football program need.

HHC Pick 'Em Standings

1. @boilerfan87 22/24 (.917)
2. @Frozen Tundra 20/24 (.833)
3. @mamasa 11/16 (.688)
4. @starbacker 7/11 (.636)

Week 5 Predictions

Bedford North Lawrence (1-3, 1-1 HHC) at Seymour (4-0, 2-0 HHC): Seymour has been playing good football thus far. The Stars are short on experience and lacked inspiration last week in their upset loss to Madison. Something tells me BNL brings everything they've got this week but it still won't be enough. The Owls win it.

Columbus East (2-2, 1-0 HHC) at New Albany (1-3, 0-2 HHC): The Bulldogs gave the Olympians two tough battles last year and nearly became the first HHC team since BNL in 2006 to beat East. No chance this year. East wins big.

Jeffersonville (1-3, 1-1 HHC) at Floyd Central (3-1, 1-0 HHC): The question isn't whether or not the Highlanders will win. It's whether or not they can jump on the Red Devils early or if they wait until the second half again. Floyd Central wins it.

Madison (1-3, 1-1 HHC) at Jennings County (1-3, 0-2 HHC): This is the 56th edition of the Railroad Rivalry and should be the best HHC game of the week. The Cubs just beat a BNL team that the Panthers lost to by 29 the week before. JC gave Seymour a battle for three quarters when the latter destroyed Madison the week before. Therefore, this game looks like a toss-up. Will the Panthers get their 30th win in the series or will the Cubs get their 27th win? My gut is telling me Jennings County gets the win.

74 yard TD run where McDonald just absolutely leveled a NA defender with a stiff arm. 

Columbus East - 7

New Albany - 0

7:45 1st Q 

Jennings County - 7

Madison - 7

11:10 1st Q

Jennings with a Pick 6. 

Madison answers with a 41 yard QB Keeper

Jennings - 14

Madison - 7

8:02 1st Q

70 yard TD pass by Jennings