Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

10 minutes ago, Olympian99 said:

Pickerington Central defeated undefeated Mentor in Ohio's big class (Division I) semi-finals. They play for state versus Elder next week.

I saw that too. So using faulty logic and false equivalencies (Cathedral took Elder to OT & East played PC to a 1 score game)I choose to claim New Pal would win the Division 1 state title in Ohio.  Lol

4 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

I saw that too. So using faulty logic and false equivalencies (Cathedral took Elder to OT & East played PC to a 1 score game)I choose to claim New Pal would win the Division 1 state title in Ohio.  Lol

I will also say, having grown up in Ohio and been in Indiana for 20 years, the gap is definitely shrinking between Ohio and Indiana high school football. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, TIFootball said:

Rumor is Seymour is out when another conference opening is found. What's going on with the conference?

Seymour, East, BNL, JC, Madison would have been gone six years ago if they could have found a sixth. One of the main components of Seymour leaving the conference is no longer a factor. I don't think the athletic administration ever had any serious interest in leaving anyway. 

The problem is not what most think, it's not really a competitive balance issue, the river schools are notoriously bad travelers, except when they have a decent basketball team. 

And before everyone starts in on SC or Charlestown, SC was approached six years ago and had no interest. I realize a new AD, but I don't see any reason for them to leave their situation. My guess is in the short term the HHC will continue on as a seven school conference, Bloomington North is a possible replacement, but those Tuesday night trips from the river to the north side of Bloomington are going to be a killer. 

In Madison's situation I think leaving the conference with no exit strategy is a bad idea. The idea of being an independent in football is a recipe for a lot of travel and worse ass whoopins. 

I think in strictly football terms, Madison leaving is a plus for the HHC schools, it gives them another non-conference game and allows teams to get a quality opponent or a win, which ever their situation dictates. 

• Thanks 1
  • Disdain 1

11 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Seymour, East, BNL, JC, Madison would have been gone six years ago if they could have found a sixth. One of the main components of Seymour leaving the conference is no longer a factor. I don't think the athletic administration ever had any serious interest in leaving anyway. 

The problem is not what most think, it's not really a competitive balance issue, the river schools are notoriously bad travelers, except when they have a decent basketball team. 

And before everyone starts in on SC or Charlestown, SC was approached six years ago and had no interest. I realize a new AD, but I don't see any reason for them to leave their situation. My guess is in the short term the HHC will continue on as a seven school conference, Bloomington North is a possible replacement, but those Tuesday night trips from the river to the north side of Bloomington are going to be a killer. 

In Madison's situation I think leaving the conference with no exit strategy is a bad idea. The idea of being an independent in football is a recipe for a lot of travel and worse ass whoopins. 

I think in strictly football terms, Madison leaving is a plus for the HHC schools, it gives them another non-conference game and allows teams to get a quality opponent or a win, which ever their situation dictates. 

Floyd Central fans travel well, everywhere. For any sport.

7 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

From the Madison Courier

https://madisoncourier.com/Content/News/News/Article/The-Madison-School-Board-votes-5-0-to-withdraw-Madison-from-the-Hoosier-Hills-Conference-/178/961/118498

There are some interesting stats in this article. They hope to join a conference when a spot becomes available. 

In other words, doing what should have been done 10 years ago.

10 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

In other words, doing what should have been done 10 years ago.

It is easy to say in retrospect that it should have been done then. However, the school has given it quite an adequate amount of time and data by waiting until now to justify the move. I agree with you that it is a bold move and one that could absolutely pay off well for the school and its athletic programs. 

9 hours ago, Lysander said:

What prospective conference might that be?  Mid-Southern?  EIAC?

The article mentioned both of them as a possibility. But it said only if a spot opens up. It is hard to see that happening with either conference any time soon. Both Madison and Jennings County were recently in discussions to make a move to the EIAC, but JC declined to make a move, leaving Madison out as well because the EIAC wanted both. They are currently an 8 team league, with a 3a/4a split of four teams each. EIAC makes a lot of sense as far as enrollment is concerned. The MSC makes sense geographically, but are nearly at max capacity in football and I can't see teams wanting no out of conference opponent. In the mean time, they will operate as an independent, which gives them a lot of freedom and perhaps friendly scheduling will allow them to bolster participation rates with some success. 

As we have seen with this move and with others in the past several years, conference affiliations must change as demographics surrounding schools do. Competitive balance is an issue, but it makes no sense for a school to remain in a conference in which they are not competitive in any sport, boys or girls. I think football has driven many of the changes recently, but Madison made this decision as a whole, which was wise on their part to not be short sighted in regard to one sport. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lysander said:

What prospective conference might that be?  Mid-Southern?  EIAC?

I don't see the MSC as a viable option, they currently have nine football playing schools adding a 10th would knock out their only non-conference game. I'm sure with most schools taking advantage of traditional rivalry games, I doubt schools would want to take the hit financially, if you're looking at it purely from a Football standpoint. And honestly all things considered, with Madison moving the MSC, I would guess that would be the determining factor. My guess is they already play most of the MSC schools in other sports. Madison does not travel all that well either. 

History has shown that the EIAC likes symmetry. They're currently at eight and given their big/small school format, my guess is they'd want to add two schools at a time, preferably a 3A and a 4A. I have no inside knowledge of the situation, purely a guess on my part. 

I would think the best move for Madison football wise would be to go the Mid Indiana Football Conference. That gets them six games they should be able to compete in, round out the schedule with JC, Scottsburg, Rock Creek, go across the river, whatever. Scheduling other sports isn't nearly as difficult as Football, maybe play in a Football only conference and stay independent in the other sports.  

I wish Madison the best, it's sad to see to some extent, Madison was one of the founding members of the HHC, at the same time, things change and you have to roll with those changes. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer