Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Sure seems that way but it wouldn’t be the first time a college or pro logo was “ripped off” by a high school team

When I was coaching Seymour’s athletic department had some stationary that used Rice’s logo and they received a cease and desist order. 
Warren Central has used the same W as Wisconsin as have several others. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

When I was coaching Seymour’s athletic department had some stationary that used Rice’s logo and they received a cease and desist order. 
Warren Central has used the same W as Wisconsin as have several others. 

I believe Seymour used Temple’s old owl logo for awhile (before Temple moved to their current T logo). I don’t understand why Temple would be ok with it but not Rice. 

Edited by Frozen Tundra

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I believe Seymour used Temple’s old owl logo for awhile (before Temple moved to their current T logo). I don’t understand why Temple would be ok with it but not Rice. 

Seymour was probably smart enough to pay a licensing fee to Temple before using the logo, after the cease-and-desist from Rice. IP owners have to be the ones who enforce their rights.

19 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Floyd Central uses the F from the University of Florida. Its commonplace for HS teams to do that. Our Fight Song is the Minnesota Rouser from the University of Minnesota. Several HHC schools use Big Ten fight songs.

Jennings County and Seymour both use Wisconsin’s fight song. Kind of weird when they’re rivals. 

Columbus East uses USC’s fight song. I don’t remember what Jeff, New Albany, Madison and BNL use. I’m curious to know.

30 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Jennings County and Seymour both use Wisconsin’s fight song. Kind of weird when they’re rivals.

... and neighbors. 

30 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Columbus East uses USC’s fight song. I don’t remember what Jeff, New Albany, Madison and BNL use. I’m curious to know.

BNL uses “Give my regards to Broadway”, with custom lyrics.

6 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

This logo was on some stationary the athletic department used.

It wasn’t a big deal, all HC’s got an email not to use it, I don’t believe anyone was using it at the time. I had my son design a logo for the softball program. What can I say I don’t think anyone at Seymour understands branding. 

AC3BDA86-537F-42FB-9CEC-04AE987DCEFF.png

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

On Wisconsin is a pretty popular fight song, I hear several times a year. Edgewood uses Hail to the Victors, at least that’s what the band was playing Friday. 

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

It wasn’t a big deal, all HC’s got an email not to use it, I don’t believe anyone was using it at the time.

It can be a big deal.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/10/21/AR2010102106526.html

Older article, but nothing's changed since the DMCA was passed, so it's still relevant. 

Some colleges make a much bigger deal over this than others. Notre Dame raised quite a stink back in 2003 or 2004 about their logo. Some high schools across the country were forced to change the nickname and logo completely. I know a couple of schools even had to change their colors. I know Wisconsin asked Warren Central to create a slight variation to the W on their helmets. WC shaved off part of one side of it, and UWM officials were satisfied. Many years ago, I know Chatard was using the Michigan State Trojan logo on their helmet. When MSU notified the school of the infringement, they asked for a whopping fee for permission to use it of $1....pretty classy move on the part of MSU. 

I am not sure how the fight song issues play out though. 

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

When MSU notified the school of the infringement, they asked for a whopping fee for permission to use it of $1....pretty classy move on the part of MSU.

They are REQUIRED to have a license fee to enforce the copyright. It allows them to still have exclusive merchandise rights. 

12 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

They are REQUIRED to have a license fee to enforce the copyright. It allows them to still have exclusive merchandise rights. 

I KNOW that...you missed the point of my bringing that up COMPLETELY. 

Other schools charge a much higher fee if they allow the use of it at all. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Anybody know if Jeffersonville is trying to find a week 6 opponent? I noticed Crawford County and Springs Valley are open that week too. If they want to play an Indianapolis team in that slot again then I saw Scecina was available.

Crawford has shutdown for several weeks due to COVID. It is the whole corporation, not just the team. I think that CC was supposed to play SV that week. 

I would guess Jeff is still trying, but with no AD currently in the fold there, who knows what is getting done. The majority of week 6 open dates are probably too far north for it to be worth it for Jeff. The closest would be Greensburg. I could see that being an interesting one. New Albany went just a bit further north for their matchup with Eastern Hancock. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, boilerfan87 said:

Crawford has shutdown for several weeks due to COVID. It is the whole corporation, not just the team. I think that CC was supposed to play SV that week. 

I would guess Jeff is still trying, but with no AD currently in the fold there, who knows what is getting done. The majority of week 6 open dates are probably too far north for it to be worth it for Jeff. The closest would be Greensburg. I could see that being an interesting one. New Albany went just a bit further north for their matchup with Eastern Hancock. 

Jeff and Greensburg were once in the same conference. Jeff left the SCC for the HHC in 81. Greensburg left a few years earlier. 
I think it would be an interesting game.  I realize another time but Jeff used to make the trip to both Rushville and Connersville as well. I used to hate the trip to Connersville on a bus. It was going to be a late night. 

On 9/14/2020 at 10:56 AM, DanteEstonia said:

Is it just me, or does the logo on Madison’s helmets look like a rip-off of the Wisconsin W?

For years, at least during my football playing days,  Peru's football helmets looked just like Purdue's,  heck even the high school colors were Old Gold & Black.   

Not sure about the Peru fight song,  but Maconaquah's (Peru's county rival) fight song is sung to the tune of Hail! Purdue:

Hail! Hail! Maconaquah

Hail! to the Red and the Blue

Hail! Hail! to MHS, to our Braves we will always be true

Fight! Fight! for victory, whether odds be great or small

Honor, Love, and Praise we give to our Maconaquah

5 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Jeff and Greensburg were once in the same conference. Jeff left the SCC for the HHC in 81. Greensburg left a few years earlier. 
I think it would be an interesting game.  I realize another time but Jeff used to make the trip to both Rushville and Connersville as well. I used to hate the trip to Connersville on a bus. It was going to be a late night. 

Interesting. I did not realize that. I think it would be an interesting matchup. Jeff is struggling right now and Greensburg has been very solid for some time now. Like I said, with no AD in place, I wonder if anything is even being pursued.