Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

11 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

Floyd Central plays the two hardest opponents in this conference. Louisville Male and Louisville Manuel. I really have no idea why they want those matchups, but I guess they have their reasons.

I understand that folks can be a bit insular in looking at their teams...to a point, that particular pride can lead to future success and I will always encourage it. Good on you!

Still, to be clear, as regards Columbus East picking up Chatard, as a Hoosier who is a bit proud as regards Indiana HS football (and a Chatard guy), I think it behooves me to actually compare and contrast a bit.

In 2019 (per CalPreps/MaxPreps), Chatard was projected to defeat Louisville Male  34 to 21.  Chatard was also projected to defeat Louisville Manual 40 to 12.  

In 2019, 3A Chatard ended the season in Indiana as the #3 team ALL CLASSES from 1A to 6A per CalPreps.  Let’s repeat....#3 ALL CLASSES (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A).  

To also clarify, Columbus East has also found itself within the Top 10 All Classes in the last decade as well...or more than one occasion.

In 2020, Chatard was projected to defeat Louisville Male 28 to 20.  Chatard was also projected to defeat Louisville Manual 28 to 10. 

In 2020, Chatard ended the season in Indiana as the #6 team from 1A to 6A ALL CLASSES.

Add that Columbus East has scheduled Whiteland who ended the season as the #10 team ALL CLASSES per Sagarin.

With that, it’s great that Floyd Central is playing top flight competition and it’s a true path to getting better and I wish them well.

Still, the time of achievement would appear to be when those games begin to get competitive.  That is when the goal has been achieved.

Edited by Lysander
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Who else?

Everyone aside from East. The other six schools are consistently in the bottom half of their classes. Sometimes they get ranked because they have a good record due to being the second best team in the HHC but, once they play another team outside of the HHC in the upper half of their classification, they lose.

23 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Everyone aside from East. The other six schools are consistently in the bottom half of their classes. Sometimes they get ranked because they have a good record due to being the second best team in the HHC but, once they play another team outside of the HHC in the upper half of their classification, they lose.

I have wanted change in the HHC for a long time. Either East or Madison needed to leave, and Madison ended up being the one who pulled the trigger.

50 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I have wanted change in the HHC for a long time. Either East or Madison needed to leave, and Madison ended up being the one who pulled the trigger.

Madison leaving won’t change things. East leaving wouldn’t have changed things. The HHC is annually one of the weakest big school conferences. We’ll see what East does without Gaddis. Maybe they decline. However, the other six schools have got to find a way to improve their situations. It can’t really be due to the lack of athletes can it? Maybe for Jennings County or Seymour but not for the Louisville area schools.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:13 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

You’re not wrong there. Everytime one of these teams plays a team like Castle, they get beat pretty easily.

Well this is cool!

IU receivers coach Grant Heard brought up former BNL athlete and walk-on WR McCall Ray as someone who has progressed a ton:

"It seems like he's a whole different person which is awesome. He's out there making plays, and he has a chance to contribute to this team." 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fkfootball said:

You’re not wrong there. Everytime one of these teams plays a team like Castle, they get beat pretty easily.

I don’t like saying it. I try to be respectful on here because I truly do love this conference. Overall, I think it’s a great conference and I enjoyed competing against the other schools as an athlete and as a fan. However, the football side of things is rough and I hate that nothing has changed in 15+ years. Obviously I like that East is the top dog year after year but I’d also like to be able to see the other schools find success in the state tournament. I’d like to hear the Hoosier Hills Conference spoken about positively by other folks throughout the state. I get tired of hearing how “East is never tested because they play in a trash conference”. Tired of getting the Gonzaga treatment.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I think long term it will, because it finally allows teams to beef up their schedule. East already took advantage of the opportunity. The other schools can now follow suit.

I’m all for teams to up their game in the wake of Madison’s departure as they should not schedule another lightweight.  Competitively, maybe a team from another part of the state such as Ft. Wayne or the Region.  Logistically, cross the border into Kentucky (Lexington area as opposed to Luh-ville) or Ohio.

Also Evansville or Terre Haute...

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

I think long term it will, because it finally allows teams to beef up their schedule. East already took advantage of the opportunity. The other schools can now follow suit.

I think Henry Clay (Lexington), Lafayette Jeff, Middletown (Ohio), Mater Dei, and Lowell would make great opponents.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, Lysander said:

I understand that folks can be a bit insular in looking at their teams...to a point, that particular pride can lead to future success and I will always encourage it. Good on you!

Still, to be clear, as regards Columbus East picking up Chatard, as a Hoosier who is a bit proud as regards Indiana HS football (and a Chatard guy), I think it behooves me to actually compare and contrast a bit.

In 2019 (per CalPreps/MaxPreps), Chatard was projected to defeat Louisville Male  34 to 21.  Chatard was also projected to defeat Louisville Manual 40 to 12.  

In 2019, 3A Chatard ended the season in Indiana as the #3 team ALL CLASSES from 1A to 6A per CalPreps.  Let’s repeat....#3 ALL CLASSES (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A).  

To also clarify, Columbus East has also found itself within the Top 10 All Classes in the last decade as well...or more than one occasion.

In 2020, Chatard was projected to defeat Louisville Male 28 to 20.  Chatard was also projected to defeat Louisville Manual 28 to 10. 

In 2020, Chatard ended the season in Indiana as the #6 team from 1A to 6A ALL CLASSES.

Add that Columbus East has scheduled Whiteland who ended the season as the #10 team ALL CLASSES per Sagarin.

With that, it’s great that Floyd Central is playing top flight competition and it’s a true path to getting better and I wish them well.

Still, the time of achievement would appear to be when those games begin to get competitive.  That is when the goal has been achieved.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 1:03 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

I don’t like saying it. I try to be respectful on here because I truly do love this conference. Overall, I think it’s a great conference and I enjoyed competing against the other schools as an athlete and as a fan. However, the football side of things is rough and I hate that nothing has changed in 15+ years. Obviously I like that East is the top dog year after year but I’d also like to be able to see the other schools find success in the state tournament. I’d like to hear the Hoosier Hills Conference spoken about positively by other folks throughout the state. I get tired of hearing how “East is never tested because they play in a trash conference”. Tired of getting the Gonzaga treatment.

Aside from a few years in the late 70’s-early 80’s when BNL and East had some tussles, has the HHC ever been relevant across the board? I will agree that from it’s inception until probably mid-late 80’s the HHC was better across the board but they’ve never been consistent winner in the tournament, aside from East of course. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 10:32 PM, Impartial_Observer said:

Aside from a few years in the late 70’s-early 80’s when BNL and East had some tussles, has the HHC ever been relevant across the board? I will agree that from it’s inception until probably mid-late 80’s the HHC was better across the board but they’ve never been consistent winner in the tournament, aside from East of course. 

HHC blows.....horrible football.....East should get the the hell out pronto

2 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

You know who I think would be a good addition to the HHC: Bloomington North.

They already tried breaking away from Conference Indiana to join the Mid-State Conference, much to the surprise of a lot of folks. I’d be curious to know if they’d even be interested in returning to the HHC.

On 4/19/2021 at 11:05 PM, BigBH said:

HHC blows.....horrible football.....East should get the the hell out pronto

Why would they want to leave? They win every year. Kids are happy, parents are happy. They make long playoff runs. Have been in state finals and won state championships. What is wrong with where they are at? I would always stay if I am East.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:33 AM, Indiana Fan said:

Why would they want to leave? They win every year. Kids are happy, parents are happy. They make long playoff runs. Have been in state finals and won state championships. What is wrong with where they are at? I would always stay if I am East.

Because we’re apparently supposed to treat it like collegiate sports where all the best teams form power conferences. I figured the “East needs to leave the HHC” talks would end after a state title in 2013 but they didn’t. Kept hearing how we only won because Cathedral was moved up to 5A due to the success factor. So, when we beat them en route to a 5A state title back in 2017, I thought the talks would end. They didn’t. It died down a little but never went away. We’re used to it with the Columbus North crowd. They never shut up about it and never will. As for everyone else, not sure what else we need to do to prove that the HHC doesn’t hurt our ability to win state titles. 

Would I like the HHC to be better? Definitely. I do actually like the conference so I’m not mad that we’re still in it. There are other sports besides football and it’s not like we dominate the conference in every sport. Floyd Central is generally the best all-around.

That being said, I was in favor of East trying to get into the Mid-State Conference a few years back because it felt like a good fit. However, it wasn’t meant to be. Maybe we’ll have other opportunities to leave in the future and that’s fine. I just don’t think it’s necessary to leave. Everyone acts like we should be trying to get into this conference or that conference like it’s such an easy thing to do, but there are so many factors involved in a decision like that. First of all, a conference actually has to have an opening. On our side of things, travel times, cost, and conference sustainability are just some of the factors we would have to consider as to whether or not a move is feasible. 

But I go back to this question, why do we NEED to leave? Short answer: we don’t.

42 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Because we’re apparently supposed to treat it like collegiate sports where all the best teams form power conferences. I figured the “East needs to leave the HHC” talks would end after a state title in 2013 but they didn’t. Kept hearing how we only won because Cathedral was moved up to 5A due to the success factor. So, when we beat them en route to a 5A state title back in 2017, I thought the talks would end. They didn’t. It died down a little but never went away. We’re used to it with the Columbus North crowd. They never shut up about it and never will. As for everyone else, not sure what else we need to do to prove that the HHC doesn’t hurt our ability to win state titles. 

Would I like the HHC to be better? Definitely. I do actually like the conference so I’m not mad that we’re still in it. There are other sports besides football and it’s not like we dominate the conference in every sport. Floyd Central is generally the best all-around.

That being said, I was in favor of East trying to get into the Mid-State Conference a few years back because it felt like a good fit. However, it wasn’t meant to be. Maybe we’ll have other opportunities to leave in the future and that’s fine. I just don’t think it’s necessary to leave. Everyone acts like we should be trying to get into this conference or that conference like it’s such an easy thing to do, but there are so many factors involved in a decision like that. First of all, a conference actually has to have an opening. On our side of things, travel times, cost, and conference sustainability are just some of the factors we would have to consider as to whether or not a move is feasible. 

But I go back to this question, why do we NEED to leave? Short answer: we don’t.

But I will say that East played Madison far longer than what they should have. I’m glad Madison finally pulled the trigger.

I now wonder when JC will do the same.