Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hoosier Hills Conference

8 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

But I will say that East played Madison far longer than what they should have. I’m glad Madison finally pulled the trigger.

I now wonder when JC will do the same.

It’s just a consequence of two teams being in the same conference. Didn’t bother me one bit.

55 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Because we’re apparently supposed to treat it like collegiate sports where all the best teams form power conferences. I figured the “East needs to leave the HHC” talks would end after a state title in 2013 but they didn’t. Kept hearing how we only won because Cathedral was moved up to 5A due to the success factor. So, when we beat them en route to a 5A state title back in 2017, I thought the talks would end. They didn’t. It died down a little but never went away. We’re used to it with the Columbus North crowd. They never shut up about it and never will. As for everyone else, not sure what else we need to do to prove that the HHC doesn’t hurt our ability to win state titles. 

Would I like the HHC to be better? Definitely. I do actually like the conference so I’m not mad that we’re still in it. There are other sports besides football and it’s not like we dominate the conference in every sport. Floyd Central is generally the best all-around.

That being said, I was in favor of East trying to get into the Mid-State Conference a few years back because it felt like a good fit. However, it wasn’t meant to be. Maybe we’ll have other opportunities to leave in the future and that’s fine. I just don’t think it’s necessary to leave. Everyone acts like we should be trying to get into this conference or that conference like it’s such an easy thing to do, but there are so many factors involved in a decision like that. First of all, a conference actually has to have an opening. On our side of things, travel times, cost, and conference sustainability are just some of the factors we would have to consider as to whether or not a move is feasible. 

But I go back to this question, why do we NEED to leave? Short answer: we don’t.

Mid-State would be a nice fit for sure. But still, no need to leave. I agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

The voters of Terre Haute are getting ready to determine its fate.

Interesting point.  If TH voters choose to go with 4 high schools, THN and THS will leave Conference Indiana, leaving CI with just 4 schools.  Could that reopen the door for BS and BN to reconsider moving to the Hoosier Hills?

3 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Well, I really don’t see the Mid-State expanding to 12 schools (although 10 is realistic), and the HHC already has one opening.

Ideal scenario would be for BS/BN/CN to join and take the conference to 10 schools.  

1 hour ago, DT said:

Ideal scenario would be for BS/BN/CN to join and take the conference to 10 schools.  

I think a possible new conference would have to be formed. One of my favorite conferences right now is the Mid-State. So obviously that would be one where these schools would be looking.

17 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I think a possible new conference would have to be formed. One of my favorite conferences right now is the Mid-State. So obviously that would be one where these schools would be looking.

The Mid State is an exceptional conference.  Great schools.  Excellent balance. Mixed demogrphics.  Perfect geography.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

The Mid State is an exceptional conference.  Great schools.  Excellent balance. Mixed demogrphics.  Perfect geography.  

Perry Meridian is the outlier for sure, but I do think it works as some of the Mid-State schools are growing. Not all but some. Geographically the conference is great. And I am someone who believes conferences should be aligned with location.

20 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

Perry Meridian is the outlier for sure, but I do think it works as some of the Mid-State schools are growing. Not all but some. Geographically the conference is great. And I am someone who believes conferences should be aligned with location.

If Columbus North and Southport joined the Mid-State, the Mid-State could have a big-school and small-school division. 

On 4/24/2021 at 4:26 PM, DanteEstonia said:

If Columbus North and Southport joined the Mid-State, the Mid-State could have a big-school and small-school division. 

When I think "Indy small school," I think Beech Grove or Speedway.  I dont think any of the Mid State schools consider themselves of that calibre.

Just now, DT said:

When I think "Indy small school," I think Beech Grove or Speedway.  I dont think any of the Mid State schools consider themselves of that calibre.

Also, I believe its common knowledge that PM wanted separation from Southport.  I doubt you will see the two schools in the same conference in the near or distant future.  

58 minutes ago, DT said:

Also, I believe its common knowledge that PM wanted separation from Southport.  I doubt you will see the two schools in the same conference in the near or distant future.  

If CI were to fold, where would Southport go?

59 minutes ago, DT said:

There is an ever-widening gulf of enrollment between Greenwood and Whiteland, and the rest of the conference has a similar trend.

5 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

What’s the reasoning for why they wanted separation?

I can only comment on what I have read here on the subject in The GID.

PM and SP shared a home field for many years, but that field was on the SP campus.  Perry never really felt at home while "hosting" home games on their hated rivals home field.

There was apparently a lot of bad blood between the two schools, including a lot of fights and altercations that broke out at contests between the two schools

From an outside perspective, I always viewed PM as a traditional "suburban" school, while SP had a more gritty urban feel to it.  

PM admins wanted to create separation between the schools, so they left Conference Indiana to join the Mid State.  

12 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

If CI were to fold, where would Southport go?

There is an ever-widening gulf of enrollment between Greenwood and Whiteland, and the rest of the conference has a similar trend.

Id bet on Southport going to the Circle City should CI fold.

Greenwood is very competitive in most sports, but you make a good observation about the enrollment gap widening between the top and bottom schools in the conference.  I was quite surprised whern the MSC admitted Perry, given that the school is 6A and there are no other 6A schools in the conference.  Unfortunately, PM plays football at a 3A level  so they are not an imminent threat.  

One option for Greenwood should they decide to find a new home with like size schools would be the Hoosier Heritage.  Actually, a very nice swap would be Greenwood to the Hoosier Heritage and New Pal to the Mid State.  Greenwood will not go easy though.  They are a founding member and part of the DNA of the conference.  But we said the same thing about New Castle and the NCC.  

Edited by DT

On 4/23/2021 at 8:14 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah but Columbus North is the Bull Dogs (two words) so there’s that. 😂

Col North, in my opinion, is the school the most at risk of not having a seat at the table when the conference shuffling is over.  They should really be talking to other leagues about membership unless they are comfortable with the idea of going independent.  I have long stated that I believe the Columbus North "brand" is one of the most valuable in the state.  They would be a huge asset to any conference they might join, some more than others.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Col North, in my opinion, is the school the most at risk of not having a seat at the table when the conference shuffling is over.  They should really be talking to other leagues about membership unless they are comfortable with the idea of going independent.  I have long stated that I believe the Columbus North "brand" is one of the most valuable in the state.  They would be a huge asset to any conference they might join, some more than others.

As much as I hate to compliment our rival, I have to agree. They have such a good athletic program and there’s a lot of value to the school overall.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Id bet on Southport going to the Circle City should CI fold.

Let's go all-in on this:

Perry Meridian

Southport

Decatur Central

Arsenal Tech (yes, them too)

Chatard

Roncalli

Brebeuf 

Guerin

This will be the New Circle City Conference.

Columbus North and BHSS will fill the spots left by Decatur Central and Perry Meridian; BHSN will go to the HHC. 

#Realigned

I really hope Terre Haute builds an East Vigo HS. I've wanted this for a VERY LONG TIME. 

Edited by DanteEstonia
  • Haha 1