Jump to content

Hoosier Hills Conference


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Because the feeling is that if he doesn’t have the time and ability to coach at Jennings County then he shouldn’t have the time and ability to coach elsewhere. Basically, I think the real issue at the root of the problem is that people here are burnt out from having so many different football coaches. This will be the sixth different football coach in 11 seasons and the indecision of Vasilchek only exacerbated it.

I understand the frustration of a high turnover rate but there's a big difference between being a head coach and a coordinator. Now if he left to be the head coach at another school in the area, I could understand being like "ok guy", but he's demoting himself. Not something a lot of coaches who want to climb the ladder are up for.

And a HUGE difference living an hour away from the help your daughter needs. Coach Sharp is making an adult decision, if people can't see that they need to get over themselves. 

As far as the hiring of this coach, I think it's a huge gaffe for the administration. Making the decision to hire a guy from the literal other side of the country? Plus one who didn't seem to be anywhere for the long haul (like most coaches). Not a smart move, especially if you're worried about the turnover rate of head football coaches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Old Man High Pants said:

I understand the frustration of a high turnover rate but there's a big difference between being a head coach and a coordinator. Now if he left to be the head coach at another school in the area, I could understand being like "ok guy", but he's demoting himself. Not something a lot of coaches who want to climb the ladder are up for.

And a HUGE difference living an hour away from the help your daughter needs. Coach Sharp is making an adult decision, if people can't see that they need to get over themselves. 

As far as the hiring of this coach, I think it's a huge gaffe for the administration. Making the decision to hire a guy from the literal other side of the country? Plus one who didn't seem to be anywhere for the long haul (like most coaches). Not a smart move, especially if you're worried about the turnover rate of head football coaches. 

Vasilchek had already gone across the country once when he left Georgia for Washington. The guy is from Indiana and his family still lives here. The belief was that this would work as a result, especially considering he has a track record of quickly turning bad programs around. So even if he does leave them after six or seven years, they’re in a lot better position going forward because there should be more interest for the job. Also, six or seven years is longer than any tenure a coach has given them since Rick Zimmerman’s first stint with the team back in the 2000s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even with Vasilchek having indiana roots, the move across the county is still one that isnt a normal move. Once he rescinded the first time and came back, I think the whole situation was set up for failure. 

Now as far as where they go next, in my opinion they need to find a well put together young coordinator that is looking for their own program. One that wants to come in and make it their own, and grow the program to match the rest of the HHC. They surprisingly pay decent in comparison to many schools in the southern half of the state (for teacher and coach pay), so they could be a good opportunity for a young upcomer. Looked up their facilities and they are pretty nice as well. Maybe a coordinator from the river schools or columbus area. Hope they get it figured out quick. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, RetiredCoach91 said:

Even with Vasilchek having indiana roots, the move across the county is still one that isnt a normal move. Once he rescinded the first time and came back, I think the whole situation was set up for failure. 

Now as far as where they go next, in my opinion they need to find a well put together young coordinator that is looking for their own program. One that wants to come in and make it their own, and grow the program to match the rest of the HHC. They surprisingly pay decent in comparison to many schools in the southern half of the state (for teacher and coach pay), so they could be a good opportunity for a young upcomer. Looked up their facilities and they are pretty nice as well. Maybe a coordinator from the river schools or columbus area. Hope they get it figured out quick. 

Justun Sharp was supposed to be that guy but that didn’t pan out for good reason. Nevertheless, it’s a tough job because it requires a lot of work. The program has to be built from the ground up. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of folks out there willing to put the time and effort in to build a program at Jennings County. Hopefully it changes. It’s my adopted home, the former home of my parents, and the lifelong home of my extended family as well as my wife’s family. They deserve to finally have a winning football team after all these years of suffering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Justun Sharp was supposed to be that guy but that didn’t pan out for good reason. Nevertheless, it’s a tough job because it requires a lot of work. The program has to be built from the ground up. Unfortunately, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of folks out there willing to put the time and effort in to build a program at Jennings County. Hopefully it changes. It’s my adopted home, the former home of my parents, and the lifelong home of my extended family as well as my wife’s family. They deserve to finally have a winning football team after all these years of suffering.

You hit the nail on the head, everybody’s all in until it gets to actually doing the work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The new sectional assignments just got released.

6A

Sectional 8: Center Grove, Columbus North, Franklin Central, and Jeffersonville

 

5A

Sectional 15: Bloomington North, Bloomington South, Columbus East, and Seymour

Sectional 16: Castle, Evansville North, Floyd Central, and New Albany

 

4A

Sectional 23: Bedford North Lawrence, East Central, Edgewood, Greenwood, Jennings County, Martinsville, Shelbyville, and Silver Creek

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d take the Jennings County job. It’s a hell of a challenge, but I’d give it a shot. Trying to figure the winning formula there would be the biggest challenge. It’s like trying to turn around Indiana University Football. And at JC, the talent level isn’t on par with most of the conference. I think the right coach needs to learn how to develop their size. Better fundamental blocking. They’re going to win with strength and not speed. You can develop guys to become stronger. Speed is a hard thing to teach unfortunately. More or less impossible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I think they will eventually but they’ll want a new conference first. My understanding is that they would rather be in the HHC than be independent.

If JC and Madison were smart, they'd have joined the EIAC before Connersville and Rushville. Just saying. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Old Man High Pants said:

Coming To America Barber Shop GIFs | Tenor

How come every time they talk about Jennings County & Madison, somebody got to bring up the EIAC.

Because they had originally wanted to go to the EIAC as a tandem a few years ago but the EIAC didn’t want them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anybody want to take a shot at how the standings will look this year? I feel like this is the most wide open the conference has been in a very long time. I personally don’t know what everybody has coming back this year. Columbus East will have much more experience and I believe I heard Floyd Central and BNL will be as well. New Albany will take a step back. I’m not sure about the situations at Jeffersonville and Seymour. As for Jennings County, I don’t think it matters what they have coming back. Yet another coaching change means yet another system to learn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Does anybody want to take a shot at how the standings will look this year? I feel like this is the most wide open the conference has been in a very long time. I personally don’t know what everybody has coming back this year. Columbus East will have much more experience and I believe I heard Floyd Central and BNL will be as well. New Albany will take a step back. I’m not sure about the situations at Jeffersonville and Seymour. As for Jennings County, I don’t think it matters what they have coming back. Yet another coaching change means yet another system to learn.

I’ll answer for Floyd Central. We have plenty of talent. But will we be a good team this year? We’ll see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Does anybody want to take a shot at how the standings will look this year? I feel like this is the most wide open the conference has been in a very long time. I personally don’t know what everybody has coming back this year. Columbus East will have much more experience and I believe I heard Floyd Central and BNL will be as well. New Albany will take a step back. I’m not sure about the situations at Jeffersonville and Seymour. As for Jennings County, I don’t think it matters what they have coming back. Yet another coaching change means yet another system to learn.

Man I’m still hungover and counting my fingers….No clue. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Tell us more.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an article to provide as evidence and I can’t remember if I read about it or if I was told about it. However, when Jennings County, Madison, Seymour, and Columbus East started looking into leaving the HHC six years ago, Jennings County and Madison were looking into going to the EIAC. The EIAC wasn’t interested though because they liked their eight team, two division format. They liked having that perfect split with four teams in the 4A division and four teams in the 3A division.

Having said that, I’m curious what the EIAC thinks these days. The previous classification cycle saw Franklin County move down to 3A. The newest classification cycle has South Dearborn also moving down to 3A. Therefore, East Central and Connersville are the only remaining 4A members in the EIAC. The divisions are still the same, however, and are still labeled as the 3A Division and the 4A Division. I wonder if that will ever change. Personally, I’d like to see them return to no divisions and a round-robin schedule. I don’t think East Central would go for it though. I think they like having the freedom to schedule Ohio schools and Indy privates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Unfortunately, I don’t have an article to provide as evidence and I can’t remember if I read about it or if I was told about it. However, when Jennings County, Madison, Seymour, and Columbus East started looking into leaving the HHC six years ago, Jennings County and Madison were looking into going to the EIAC. The EIAC wasn’t interested though because they liked their eight team, two division format. They liked having that perfect split with four teams in the 4A division and four teams in the 3A division.

Having said that, I’m curious what the EIAC thinks these days. The previous classification cycle saw Franklin County move down to 3A. The newest classification cycle has South Dearborn also moving down to 3A. Therefore, East Central and Connersville are the only remaining 4A members in the EIAC. The divisions are still the same, however, and are still labeled as the 3A Division and the 4A Division. I wonder if that will ever change. Personally, I’d like to see them return to no divisions and a round-robin schedule. I don’t think East Central would go for it though. I think they like having the freedom to schedule Ohio schools and Indy privates.

I think the breakout was instigated by a couple of idiot board members in Seymour. They tasked Seymour’s AD at the time to find another conference. Because geography plays a fairly important part, they could get five schools and really needed to get to six to have a viable option. BNL, Seymour, East, JC, and Madison. South Dearborn was the chosen one, but they had no interest in leaving the EIAC. 
Hindsight being 20/20 Lawrenceburg may have been the better option, not sure they would leave the EIAC either. Huge natural rivals and they compete pretty well across the board in the EIAC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Unfortunately, I don’t have an article to provide as evidence and I can’t remember if I read about it or if I was told about it. However, when Jennings County, Madison, Seymour, and Columbus East started looking into leaving the HHC six years ago, Jennings County and Madison were looking into going to the EIAC. The EIAC wasn’t interested though because they liked their eight team, two division format. They liked having that perfect split with four teams in the 4A division and four teams in the 3A division.

Having said that, I’m curious what the EIAC thinks these days. The previous classification cycle saw Franklin County move down to 3A. The newest classification cycle has South Dearborn also moving down to 3A. Therefore, East Central and Connersville are the only remaining 4A members in the EIAC. The divisions are still the same, however, and are still labeled as the 3A Division and the 4A Division. I wonder if that will ever change. Personally, I’d like to see them return to no divisions and a round-robin schedule. I don’t think East Central would go for it though. I think they like having the freedom to schedule Ohio schools and Indy privates.

I also remember Jennings County & Madison being thrown out there. If it were the only option I would definitely take Madison & Jennings County over Connersville & Rushville but at this point I don't see the EIAC expanding any further unless those two were to leave. I'll beat a dead horse and say the conference should go back to 6 but who knows.

The conference these days is a mess. Technically it was never set up as a 4A / 3A conference but a Big School / Small School conference. The 4A / 3A I believe was just easier to say, or market? The divisions will change this year with East Central, Connersville, Franklin County & Lawrenceburg being the Big Division. Greensburg, Batesville, South Dearborn & Rushville will be the Small Division. It's all so dumb, it'll be interesting once Franklin County drops to the Small School division forcing Greensburg back into the Big School division since Greensburg & East Central decided not to play anymore.

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I think the breakout was instigated by a couple of idiot board members in Seymour. They tasked Seymour’s AD at the time to find another conference. Because geography plays a fairly important part, they could get five schools and really needed to get to six to have a viable option. BNL, Seymour, East, JC, and Madison. South Dearborn was the chosen one, but they had no interest in leaving the EIAC. 
Hindsight being 20/20 Lawrenceburg may have been the better option, not sure they would leave the EIAC either. Huge natural rivals and they compete pretty well across the board in the EIAC. 

I don't think you'll ever see South Dearborn, Lawrenceburg, East Central, Greensburg, or Batesville leave the EIAC. It's a great conference for all the athletic departments as a whole. Could East Central go fully independent in football? I know a lot of people would prefer that and I'd say fat chance but now that USC is going to be in the Big 10 never say never.

I could eventually see Franklin County moving to another conference in the distant future. Brookville isn't going to grow while all the schools around them in the conference keep getting bigger. If they were to ever to drop down to 2A I could see them going to the TEC. But that's a long way away if ever.

Connersville & Rushville could leave tomorrow and I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's going to depend on some other Indianapolis area conferences though. There's been talk for a long time that Connersville & Rushville could join Richmond, Muncie Central & Anderson leaving the North Central with some Hoosier Heritage like New Castle, Delta & Yorktown. With Centerville moving up to 3A now I think that becomes even more of a viable league. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...