Jump to content

Hoosier Hills Conference


Recommended Posts

On 9/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah I don’t doubt that. My comment was in regards to how the team has looked so far this year. As bad as Madison had been the first four weeks of the season, Jennings County looked worse and that’s why I went with Madison in that game. I know they’ve been battling some significant injury issues as well.

Had a nice conversation with the AD last night. You just root for guys like that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Had a nice conversation with the AD last night. You just root for guys like that. 

Yeah he’s a great guy and I’ve been a fan of his since day one. He’s the first guy there in awhile that I feel truly wants to change the culture. I really like how he hasn’t been afraid to challenge the status quo and bring outsiders in. When you’re known for losing, it doesn’t make much sense to bring insiders in. More often than not, if Jennings County athletics is all they know then they’re just going to come in and continue the losing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah he’s a great guy and I’ve been a fan of his since day one. He’s the first guy there in awhile that I feel truly wants to change the culture. I really like how he hasn’t been afraid to challenge the status quo and bring outsiders in. When you’re known for losing, it doesn’t make much sense to bring insiders in. More often than not, if Jennings County athletics is all they know then they’re just going to come in and continue the losing.

You mean all your hires don’t have to be internal? And no, this comment has nothing to do with the Head Coach at Floyd Central. Just an observation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

You mean all your hires don’t have to be internal? And no, this comment has nothing to do with the Head Coach at Floyd Central. Just an observation.

Depends on the situation but doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity. Then again, the true motivation may not be changing a culture. It may just be that you’re cheap. Or it may be that you play politics in order to keep certain people happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah he’s a great guy and I’ve been a fan of his since day one. He’s the first guy there in awhile that I feel truly wants to change the culture. I really like how he hasn’t been afraid to challenge the status quo and bring outsiders in. When you’re known for losing, it doesn’t make much sense to bring insiders in. More often than not, if Jennings County athletics is all they know then they’re just going to come in and continue the losing.

I was doing a little asking around on the new coach they brought in Coach Newton. From my understanding he was going to be the head coach a couple years again, but JC went with Coach Sharp, but once things didn’t work out there due to some unfortunate circumstances. They got an interim head coach, then hired another guy from Washington who wanted to move back to Indiana, that Coach backed out, visited JC decided that he wanted the job after all, then backed out again. Then they went to Coach Newton who still wanted the job and hired him in the first week of June. Im glad JC did find a coach and someone who actually wanted the job even after a couple of years, he’s from Cass County a similar farming county just like Jennings County  so I’m hoping he stays and is successful. It does stink though that he really didn’t have a lot of time in the off season to work with the kids, but I’m rooting for him and I know JC did everything they could to make the transition easier on him especially since this happened in June..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yeah he’s a great guy and I’ve been a fan of his since day one. He’s the first guy there in awhile that I feel truly wants to change the culture. I really like how he hasn’t been afraid to challenge the status quo and bring outsiders in. When you’re known for losing, it doesn’t make much sense to bring insiders in. More often than not, if Jennings County athletics is all they know then they’re just going to come in and continue the losing.

Great guy. Totally agree. A few points of contention: Just because many of us coaches are born and raised in JC does not mean we are incapable of adopting winning ideals and plans from the outside. Growing up in a losing football program does not resign you to knowing only failure for the rest of your life. Secondly, JC Football being a perpetually losing program is true, but we do have several other sports that range from solid to more than good. We don't just lose by nature. Our 3 most consistently successful programs right now (GBB, Track, XC) are all coached by insiders. I think outsiders are great, but as a born and raised JC alum and teacher/coach, I like to hope that my career path is not just "continue the losing" by default.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Panther25 said:

Great guy. Totally agree. A few points of contention: Just because many of us coaches are born and raised in JC does not mean we are incapable of adopting winning ideals and plans from the outside. Growing up in a losing football program does not resign you to knowing only failure for the rest of your life. Secondly, JC Football being a perpetually losing program is true, but we do have several other sports that range from solid to more than good. We don't just lose by nature. Our 3 most consistently successful programs right now (GBB, Track, XC) are all coached by insiders. I think outsiders are great, but as a born and raised JC alum and teacher/coach, I like to hope that my career path is not just "continue the losing" by default.  

I don’t think I conveyed my point very well so I apologize. I wasn’t saying ALL of Jennings County athletics is full of a losing culture. Kristi Sigler’s teams from her playing days were very successful and she was able to take what she learned at IU as well to help bring success to the girls basketball team.

I don’t know much about track and cross country other than both teams have been winning sectionals. I know Bill Ludwig was able to find success by consistently winning sectionals prior to retirement.

And Lord knows I wasn’t calling the wrestling program a losing culture. Yeah, they’ve hit some hard times over the last few years but Jim Harr and Howard Jones were anything but losers. And even if they were, I wouldn’t say it to Howard’s face. Considering he took down a deer with his bare hands while in his early 60s, I don’t think he’d have much trouble with me.

When it comes to football (or any sport with a less than stellar history), I’m not against “hiring from within” if a particular coach has a background in the sport that doesn’t just include losing at Jennings County. For example, Justun Sharp played at Jennings County but he also spent time on other coaching staffs. I’m sure he learned a few things while with Cathedral, for instance. I was a fan of his hiring because he’d been a part of a winning culture elsewhere. 

Hopefully I did a better job of explaining. If you want to poke holes in my argument then feel free to educate me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I don’t think I conveyed my point very well so I apologize. I wasn’t saying ALL of Jennings County athletics is full of a losing culture. Kristi Sigler’s teams from her playing days were very successful and she was able to take what she learned at IU as well to help bring success to the girls basketball team.

I don’t know much about track and cross country other than both teams have been winning sectionals. I know Bill Ludwig was able to find success by consistently winning sectionals prior to retirement.

And Lord knows I wasn’t calling the wrestling program a losing culture. Yeah, they’ve hit some hard times over the last few years but Jim Harr and Howard Jones were anything but losers. And even if they were, I wouldn’t say it to Howard’s face. Considering he took down a deer with his bare hands while in his early 60s, I don’t think he’d have much trouble with me.

When it comes to football (or any sport with a less than stellar history), I’m not against “hiring from within” if a particular coach has a background in the sport that doesn’t just include losing at Jennings County. For example, Justun Sharp played at Jennings County but he also spent time on other coaching staffs. I’m sure he learned a few things while with Cathedral, for instance. I was a fan of his hiring because he’d been a part of a winning culture elsewhere. 

Hopefully I did a better job of explaining. If you want to poke holes in my argument then feel free to educate me. 

Kendall had a hell of a run in SB, local boy, and honestly when he came back from retirement he was the only person that could have held that team together. A final four team with some tremendous talent. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Kendall had a hell of a run in SB, local boy, and honestly when he came back from retirement he was the only person that could have held that team together. A final four team with some tremendous talent. 

Big Kendall Wildey fan but some people around these parts aren’t too high on him. I’ll leave it at that.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Big Kendall Wildey fan but some people around these parts aren’t too high on him. I’ll leave it at that.

Kendall always treated me well and we continue to be friendly today. Not all of the conference coaches were as welcoming, but Kendall and I did have a bit of a relationship prior. I always said Kendall had the best coaching gig in the conference, Stevie took care of the pitchers and did all the off season stuff, Walker took care of the field, and Kendall showed up in March and looked like a hero. I told him after McIntosh graduated we’ll find out next year how good of a coach you are, and he re-retired. Good for him, he’s living his dream. Speaking of athletes Lisa McIntosh was a FREAK! She may not have been the best HS player I ever saw, but she’s certainly in the conversation. Good kid, good family, people you just root for. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Uncle Bubba said:

Read in the local paper that the Jeffersonville RB who was ejected last week at Floyd game appealed his suspension. They are now allowing him to play against Silver Creek tonight. Wonder what the basis of the appeal was and how that got overturned? 

What was the reason for the ejection?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

What was the reason for the ejection?

 

From my view of the situation…I could see (not hear) him jawing at the Floyd players and received a flag for that. He then turned and said a few things and was being very animated towards the official for throwing the flag. At that point the official threw another flag and he was then ejected.

It seem He was pretty frustrated during that second half of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@FkfootballI’ll be at the game tonight. Be great to put a name to a face. I’ll be on the sidelines, outside the 20. Probably in jeans. Green FC coaches shirt and once it gets chilly, a red hoodie or maybe 1/4 zip. I have a large band tattoo on my right arm. Bald guy with a goatee. Every down there knows me, so I won’t be hard to find. @Impartial_Observerbe happy to meet you as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Coachhess said:

@FkfootballI’ll be at the game tonight. Be great to put a name to a face. I’ll be on the sidelines, outside the 20. Probably in jeans. Green FC coaches shirt and once it gets chilly, a red hoodie or maybe 1/4 zip. I have a large band tattoo on my right arm. Bald guy with a goatee. Every down there knows me, so I won’t be hard to find. @Impartial_Observerbe happy to meet you as well. 

Looking forward to it coach, but it’ll be a couple years before I make my way back to FC. It might be next year, but I think it’s 24. I’ll be wearing a striped shirt with a white hat. I’m never hard to find either. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coachhess said:

@FkfootballI’ll be at the game tonight. Be great to put a name to a face. I’ll be on the sidelines, outside the 20. Probably in jeans. Green FC coaches shirt and once it gets chilly, a red hoodie or maybe 1/4 zip. I have a large band tattoo on my right arm. Bald guy with a goatee. Every down there knows me, so I won’t be hard to find. @Impartial_Observerbe happy to meet you as well. 

I know who you are. Lol. If I get the chance, I’ll talk to you.

1 hour ago, Uncle Bubba said:

From my view of the situation…I could see (not hear) him jawing at the Floyd players and received a flag for that. He then turned and said a few things and was being very animated towards the official for throwing the flag. At that point the official threw another flag and he was then ejected.

It seem He was pretty frustrated during that second half of the game. 

He’s playing on a team that has 0 wins and I imagine that he’s probably pretty frustrated. I get it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Uncle Bubba said:

Read in the local paper that the Jeffersonville RB who was ejected last week at Floyd game appealed his suspension. They are now allowing him to play against Silver Creek tonight. Wonder what the basis of the appeal was and how that got overturned? 

I find this very hard to believe. I think it is much more likely he was ejected and no report was filed. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...