Jump to content

Hoosier Hills Conference


Recommended Posts

Final standings for 2022 HHC Pick ‘Em

@LC_Bears_04 39/49

@Frozen Tundra 38/49

@boilerfan87 35/49

@Owls2005 35/49

@mamasa 33/49

 

 

@Olympian06 24/29 (.828)

@Uncle Bubba 21/29 (.724)

@swcgillespie 14/20 (.700)

@Fkfootball 7/12 (.583)

 

Congrats to @LC_Bears_04 on winning the competition this year! Hope to see you all and more for next year’s competition.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard some pretty terrible things  yesterday. I wasn’t at the game at Evansville North, but I heard some parents of Floyd Central players had to be escorted out of the EN stadium by the Police for screaming and cussing out the coaching staff, with most of it directed at Coach Bragg. This isn’t acceptable behavior. Even if there were a coaching change in the future, who in the hell would want that job with that kind of heat? The coaches on that staff don’t deserve that. If people have an issue they can talk to these guys privately. I don’t agree with some of the decisions that are made on the field but this is a terrible look. The one time I did yell at coach Bragg from the stands, I ended up apologizing to him for it because it was low class behavior and his family was in the stands. The Administration at Floyd Central needs to get things under control. They really don’t care much about Athletics, it’s a huge suprise that they do as well as they do when it comes to Athletics. Coach Bragg doesn’t get much support. That much is true. Coach Glesing was a heck of a coach and a good guy and politics and lack of support made him want to leave. The same thing happened with Coach Sturgeon. I’m not blaming their AD because he’s a pretty good guy that does care about putting together winning teams. The decisions are above him. Too much academically driven agenda at Floyd Central is holding them back, especially in Football. I’ve got two close friends that are running for School Board positions. I hope to hell that they win because if they do, I’ll raise some concerns about some of this stuff when the time is right. Most notably, the lack of support for Athletics coaches.

Edited by Fkfootball
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2022 at 8:56 PM, LawrenceGreene said:

BNL 14

Martin 42

Final

This is more indicative of how low BNL (and Greenwood the previous week) are at present rather than Martinsville being that good. This was a methodically mediocre game. Reminded me of last year's semi South Dearborn at Martinsville. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I heard some pretty terrible things  yesterday. I wasn’t at the game at Evansville North, but I heard some parents of Floyd Central players had to be escorted out of the EN stadium by the Police for screaming and cussing out the coaching staff, with most of it directed at Coach Bragg. This isn’t acceptable behavior. Even if there were a coaching change in the future, who in the hell would want that job with that kind of heat? The coaches on that staff don’t deserve that. If people have an issue they can talk to these guys privately. I don’t agree with some of the decisions that are made on the field but this is a terrible look. The one time I did yell at coach Bragg from the stands, I ended up apologizing to him for it because it was low class behavior and his family was in the stands. The Administration at Floyd Central needs to get things under control. They really don’t care much about Athletics, it’s a huge suprise that they do as well as they do when it comes to Athletics. Coach Bragg doesn’t get much support. That much is true. Coach Glesing was a heck of a coach and a good guy and politics and lack of support made him want to leave. The same thing happened with Coach Sturgeon. I’m not blaming their AD because he’s a pretty good guy that does care about putting together winning teams. The decisions are above him. Too much academically driven agenda at Floyd Central is holding them back, especially in Football. I’ve got two close friends that are running for School Board positions. I hope to hell that they win because if they do, I’ll raise some concerns about some of this stuff when the time is right. Most notably, the lack of support for Athletics coaches.

I’ll add to this. From a Football standpoint, personally, I don’t think it’s an issue of coaching. Their Offensive Line cannot block, whatsoever. It doesn’t matter what kind of offense you run or what your playcalling is, their RBs get walled up and their QB is constantly under pressure.

 

When I spoke to the players, it wasn’t coach Bragg they were complaining about. It was the S&C coach. They don’t like that part of the program. Many kids complained that it helps cause injuries. I told them to speak up about it.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ragdoll said:

This is more indicative of how low BNL (and Greenwood the previous week) are at present rather than Martinsville being that good. This was a methodically mediocre game. Reminded me of last year's semi South Dearborn at Martinsville. 

The level of play across the board in HS sports in Indiana is dropping. I see a lot of HS sports and I don’t believe the level of play is as good today as it was 10 years ago. There are many factors that can contribute to this in  each sport, however the one constant across sports is coaches having access to players throughout the year. Football especially I see some real problems on the horizon if we don’t make some changes. Several years back in a meeting at the IHSAA we were told that the student advisory council voted unanimously to stop summer contact. This was when Bobby Cox was still commissioner. I think Bobby had the right idea, but his tenure ended. 
The demands that HS coaches out on athletes is just stupid at this point. Some sports are obviously worse than others, and I think the IFCA has done an outstanding job of getting out in front of it. But we as a whole “athletic people” need to realize what’s going on and address it. Don’t take my word for it, talk to any multi-sport HS kid and ask their opinion. 
 

It’s way past time we start letting kids be kids and having fun playing sports again. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

The level of play across the board in HS sports in Indiana is dropping. I see a lot of HS sports and I don’t believe the level of play is as good today as it was 10 years ago. There are many factors that can contribute to this in  each sport, however the one constant across sports is coaches having access to players throughout the year. Football especially I see some real problems on the horizon if we don’t make some changes. Several years back in a meeting at the IHSAA we were told that the student advisory council voted unanimously to stop summer contact. This was when Bobby Cox was still commissioner. I think Bobby had the right idea, but his tenure ended. 
The demands that HS coaches out on athletes is just stupid at this point. Some sports are obviously worse than others, and I think the IFCA has done an outstanding job of getting out in front of it. But we as a whole “athletic people” need to realize what’s going on and address it. Don’t take my word for it, talk to any multi-sport HS kid and ask their opinion. 
 

It’s way past time we start letting kids be kids and having fun playing sports again. 

Do you think the generation of todays kids has anything to do with it? It just seems like they could care less. I have a teenager and she could care less about anything outside of playing on her phone.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2022 at 8:55 AM, Fkfootball said:

I heard some pretty terrible things  yesterday. I wasn’t at the game at Evansville North, but I heard some parents of Floyd Central players had to be escorted out of the EN stadium by the Police for screaming and cussing out the coaching staff, with most of it directed at Coach Bragg. This isn’t acceptable behavior. Even if there were a coaching change in the future, who in the hell would want that job with that kind of heat? The coaches on that staff don’t deserve that. If people have an issue they can talk to these guys privately. I don’t agree with some of the decisions that are made on the field but this is a terrible look. The one time I did yell at coach Bragg from the stands, I ended up apologizing to him for it because it was low class behavior and his family was in the stands. The Administration at Floyd Central needs to get things under control. They really don’t care much about Athletics, it’s a huge suprise that they do as well as they do when it comes to Athletics. Coach Bragg doesn’t get much support. That much is true. Coach Glesing was a heck of a coach and a good guy and politics and lack of support made him want to leave. The same thing happened with Coach Sturgeon. I’m not blaming their AD because he’s a pretty good guy that does care about putting together winning teams. The decisions are above him. Too much academically driven agenda at Floyd Central is holding them back, especially in Football. I’ve got two close friends that are running for School Board positions. I hope to hell that they win because if they do, I’ll raise some concerns about some of this stuff when the time is right. Most notably, the lack of support for Athletics coaches.

Yes parents were yelling. And it got loud at the end. 
 

No one was escorted out by police.  
 

I watched the entire scenario go down. I don’t condone the behavior of parents yelling. But no one was escorted out by police. The AD and Principal had it under control and the person left on their own. 
 

The police did walk over to the AD and principal after the situation was taken care of. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2022 at 9:50 AM, Fkfootball said:

I’ll add to this. From a Football standpoint, personally, I don’t think it’s an issue of coaching. Their Offensive Line cannot block, whatsoever. It doesn’t matter what kind of offense you run or what your playcalling is, their RBs get walled up and their QB is constantly under pressure.

 

When I spoke to the players, it wasn’t coach Bragg they were complaining about. It was the S&C coach. They don’t like that part of the program. Many kids complained that it helps cause injuries. I told them to speak up about it.

 

 

Any S&C done incorrectly can cause injuries. Other issues cause injuries as well. Turf, personal make up of a kid, lifting more than you are capable, over use, bodies not getting proper rest between seasons for multiple sport athletes, etc. 

Injuries are more prone to happen in football.

Same S&C coach for basketball, baseball, softball , track, swimming, wrestling, tennis, etc.

Not saying S&C isn’t the problem for some…but need to look at all factors involved.  Not just one aspect of the process. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played football in the JC program for 8 years and saw so many kids drop off from youth to high school due to many reasons, but I think the biggest reason is some kids just get absolutely burned out to the point of where football just wasn’t fun anymore. I remember my middle school years summer was full of practicing twice a day all day no time for anything in the hot summer heat. Then high school they continued to do 2 a days for 1 or 2 years I believe it was 2012 or 2013 when Coach Buening was still there, but in 2014 and 2015 JC stopped doing that. I’m not sure how other schools are and things may have changed since then, but stuff like that is how athletes get burned out and why alot walk away. Sometimes it just does get to be to much and the injuries that’s part of it, some guys just couldn’t stay healthy. Personally I broke my hand, foot, and clavicle all from football, but it’s a violent sport that is just part of it and I understand why kids walk away for that reason too. 

Edited by Hoosiers1218
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Hoosiers1218 said:

I played football in the JC program for 8 years and saw so many kids drop off from youth to high school due to many reasons, but I think the biggest reason is some kids just get absolutely burned out to the point of where football just wasn’t fun anymore. I remember my middle school years summer was full of practicing twice a day all day no time for anything in the hot summer heat. Then high school they continued to do 2 a days for 1 or 2 years I believe it was 2012 or 2013 when Coach Buening was still there, but in 2014 and 2015 JC stopped doing that. I’m not sure how other schools are and things may have changed since then, but stuff like that is how athletes get burned out and why alot walk away. Sometimes it just does get to be to much and the injuries that’s part of it, some guys just couldn’t stay healthy. Personally I broke my hand, foot, and clavicle all from football, but it’s a violent sport that is just part of it and I understand why kids walk away for that reason too. 

What you’re describing sounds normal. Unless there’s more to it that I’m missing, that’s not over-exposure. I could be wrong but I believe my football-playing classmates were doing three-a-days at team camp. To me, over-exposure is a coach constantly in your ear throughout the year wanting you to work on your skills constantly without much downtime. I didn’t see that at East. Gaddis always encouraged guys to play multiple sports. But if you weren’t doing anything in the spring, he expected you to get your butt to the weight room after school so that you did conditioning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Uncle Bubba said:

Yes parents were yelling. And it got loud at the end. 
 

No one was escorted out by police.  
 

I watched the entire scenario go down. I don’t condone the behavior of parents yelling. But no one was escorted out by police. The AD and Principal had it under control and the person left on their own. 
 

The police did walk over to the AD and principal after the situation was taken care of. 

I’m glad to hear that. I had some 2nd hand information. Things are definitely a little toxic over there. I hope they get it under control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are numerous factors but the main one is burn out  I really think they should go back to closing the summers, weights only, open gyms, no practices. I also feel we have lost a lot of great coaches because of the time commitments. Kids and coaches need time to relax.  Kids need to be involved in all sports not just one. My first 20 years of teaching I coached 3 sports now entering my 34th year I only coach 1 it was a tough decision but the time it took was overwhelming. 

Have a great winter   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The OP asked what to expect next season? I’ll be more specific then my previous answer.

 

For my Highlanders, I won’t speculate on anything other then next years roster. I’ll leave it at that.

 

We will definitely have some good returnees but also some pretty significant losses. Most notably Jordan Fonda, Max Grainger, Cody Bibelhauser, Jake Hausz, and Eli Branham. Those guys have been stalwarts. And a big reason why I was expecting more then 4 wins this season.  QB Tristan Robertson will be back. So will most of his OL which will hopefully get better. Mitch Bernardi only played 1 game last season. He’s supposed to be healthy and would be a huge boost to our running game if he is. They’ll have 6”4 SO Isaac Kaiser back at WR and Max Milliner. Big shoes to fill with the aforementioned guys earlier. Robertsons brother Sebastian Robertson will be a SO and he’s widely expected to be a big time RB for FC. Defensively they’re losing Emerson Jones and Jake Hausz which are big losses. Their massive DT and a couple LBs will be back. The secondary will pretty new next season. Also need to replace K/P Max Grainger who is one of the States best.

 

 

No question about it. Floyd Central needs to do better then 4-6 next season. With games at home vs Seymour, BNL, and JC and their other HHC games being more local(except East), I’m expecting them to be more competitive.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
19 hours ago, RetiredSouthernCoach said:

Read in Columbus paper that one of their Football Coaches is taking over as Athletic Director this summer. That can only be good for that program I am sure. 

I knew Huse has resigned his position with the IIAAA, I didn’t realize he was retiring. 
Coach Miller has been assistant AD and Dean of Boys for several years, I’m sure it will be a fairly seamless transition. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2022 at 10:59 AM, RetiredSouthernCoach said:

Read in Columbus paper that one of their Football Coaches is taking over as Athletic Director this summer. That can only be good for that program I am sure. 

Coach Miller is taking over as the AD.. he’s not hard to point out on the sideline’s when you see them run out. Outstanding coach and will miss him on the sidelines for sure..  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...