Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Hildalgo to Whiting

Whiting has hired former East Chicago head coach Mark Hildalgo as their new field general.

He was most recently coach wrestling and was a football assistant at River Forest.

Many recall he was an assistant on Craig Buzea's staff at Portage in 2006.

Screenshot_20220624-135222.png

17 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Infamously known for not accepting a running clock vs Merrillville. I believe merrillville put up 80 plus points. It’s a good hire need a tough coach like that 

Yeah him and I believe yelton didn’t like each other. I heard alll about this one 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Infamously known for not accepting a running clock vs Merrillville. I believe merrillville put up 80 plus points. It’s a good hire need a tough coach like that 

I guess “tough” is one way to look at it. Another possibility is “ego-driven” (at the kids’ expense). But I wish him the best of luck. Whiting has always had a nice program and a good fan base.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I guess “tough” is one way to look at it. Another possibility is “ego-driven” (at the kids’ expense). But I wish him the best of luck. Whiting has always had a nice program and a good fan base.

Yeah something needs to change the program has been on a downward trajectory since Cain retired. I hate to say it but if things don’t change they might contract and go to soccer only due to demographic changes.

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

Yeah something needs to change the program has been on a downward trajectory since Cain retired. I hate to say it but if things don’t change they might contract and go to soccer only due to demographic changes.

That certainly doesn't say too much positive about the prior coaching staff. When Jeff Cain retired this program was still a legitimate regional semi-state contender. Whitings and enrollment has been steady. Every region team has seen an influx of Hispanic players. Why should whiting be any different?

42 minutes ago, DT said:

That certainly doesn't say too much positive about the prior coaching staff. When Jeff Cain retired this program was still a legitimate regional semi-state contender. Whitings and enrollment has been steady. Every region team has seen an influx of Hispanic players. Why should whiting be any different?

It’s one of the smallest schools in lake county the other schools can handle it whiting can’t apparently. You saw clark close and gavit. Clark right down the street was legit soccer powerhouse prior to shut down 

3 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Do you think the demographic changes were a factor in the selection of the new HFC?

It’s one of the smallest schools in lake county the other schools can handle it whiting can’t apparently. You saw clark close and gavit. Clark right down the street was legit soccer powerhouse prior to shut down 

Whiting has a historical football heritage  Clark and Gavit did not.  Nearly 500 total Oiler wins.  Two state championships.  Numerous conference titles.  All State and All American players.  

Did all of that history disappear when Cain retired?  

Hidalgo is a bad to the bone dude who will put some bite back into this program - quickly.  

Edited by DT

51 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Do you think the demographic changes were a factor in the selection of the new HFC?

I don’t know specifics of why they hired, I’ve heard people upset they didn’t hire within the “family” and went with an outsider 

I don’t know specifics of why they hired, I’ve heard people upset they didn’t hire within the “family” and went with an outsider 

That’s always the way it is … until the “outside” starts winning games.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DT said:

Honest question, did coach Cain ever have andrean in the sectional? Will whiting drop back down to 1A?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Honest question, did coach Cain ever have andrean in the sectional? Will whiting drop back down to 1A?

No last season of Cain Andrean wasn’t in sectional. Whiting will never drop down unless they get rid of open enrollment. From what I heard in past there was speculation of shutting down school corps with less then maybe 1000 total students so they ramped up out district students to be over 1k. This was all hearsay on my part. Makes sense though as when I went in 90s enrollment was 260 or so and they maybe added 30 new homes since then.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

No last season of Cain Andrean wasn’t in sectional. Whiting will never drop down unless they get rid of open enrollment. From what I heard in past there was speculation of shutting down school corps with less then maybe 1000 total students so they ramped up out district students to be over 1k. This was all hearsay on my part. Makes sense though as when I went in 90s enrollment was 260 or so and they maybe added 30 new homes since then.

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Enrollments & Classifications/2022-23 2023-24/2022-23 2023-24 Football Alignment.pdf

https://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick resources/Football Classifications 2013-15.pdf

Whitings current reported enrollment for the new classification for 2022-23 is 482 students, 18th highest in 2A.  They are much closer to 3A then they are to 1A.  The school reported enrollment of 408 students in 2013, so you can see the growth, and the likely absorption of Clark students over the past decade. 

The 2A-3A enrollment break is at 510 students.