Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

ACC Gets Rid of Their Divisions for Football

Bash Riprock

This is interesting....thoughts?  Do you see other conferences following suit?  How will ND now factor into the ACC?  I don't see ND considered as a primary partner to any of the schools.  (see bottom of the article for partner schools)

https://www.tomahawknation.com/florida-state-football-fsu-seminoles/2022/6/28/23186485/acc-announces-new-football-scheduling-model-starting-2023-syracuse-miami-clemson-yearly-schedule

A new way of scheduling conference football games is coming to the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Floated as a possibility the minute that the NCAA stopped requiring divisions to determine conference championship game participants, the ACC made the move official on Tuesday, announcing a new scheduling plan that begins in 2023.

The new model is based on a 3-5-5 structure whereby each team will play three primary opponents annually and face the other 10 league teams twice during the four-year cycle, once at home and once on the road. The schedule allows for each team to face all 13 conference opponents home and away at least once during the four-year cycle.

The new schedule will eliminate the Atlantic and Coastal divisions with all 14 schools competing in one division beginning in 2023. The top two teams based on conference winning percentage will compete in the Subway ACC Football Championship Game on the first Saturday in December at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The new structure not only allows for more frequent scheduling of opponents, but also allows the ACC to possibly produce an exciting championship game, one that has never particularly caught on as marquee event, either due to low-profile names or blowouts. Overall, it should help inject some life into a conference that has seen an overall decline, with its falloff in 2021 exposing the rot in the floorboards. The conference went 2-6 in bowl games, had only 4 teams win more than 7 games, and was 6-16 against in non-conference matchups.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I like it. It's an outside the box type of thing. The B!G really needs to look at this, as we all know how lopsided the two divisions are. 

The UM/O$U contest traditionally being on Thanksgiving weekend throws a wrench into any consideration for this.

It could potentially set up the same matchup two weeks in a row and takes meaning away from the first one.

As for the ACC, can’t wait to see Miami implode again.  They are getting their usual offseason hype with no substance (other than NIL).

Same with Texas.

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I like it. It's an outside the box type of thing. The B!G really needs to look at this, as we all know how lopsided the two divisions are. 

I agree with you.  I didn't realize until reading the article that the PAC 12 and American conferences already did away with divisions.  According to the article, the SEC was also planning to do the same.  I think it would make the Big 10 much more interesting.  

42 minutes ago, temptation said:

The UM/O$U contest traditionally being on Thanksgiving weekend throws a wrench into any consideration for this.

It could potentially set up the same matchup two weeks in a row and takes meaning away from the first one.

As for the ACC, can’t wait to see Miami implode again.  They are getting their usual offseason hype with no substance (other than NIL).

Same with Texas.

I don't think so....if the Big 10 follows the ACC model, just ensure Michigan and Ohio State are partners.  Personally, I'd love to see Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State as partners so they could beat the snot out of each other annually.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I agree with you.  I didn't realize until reading the article that the PAC 12 and American conferences already did away with divisions.  According to the article, the SEC was also planning to do the same.  I think it would make the Big 10 much more interesting.  

I don't think so....if the Big 10 follows the ACC model, just ensure Michigan and Ohio State are partners.  Personally, I'd love to see Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State as partners so they could beat the snot out of each other annually.

They already do beat the snot out of each other annually while Wisconsin and Iowa get the red carpet rolled out on the opposite side and cruise to the championship game (unless Northwestern has an out of body experience).

Also if you have an undefeated or 1 loss UM/OSU heading into the annual Thanksgiving matchup and the opposing team wins creating a scenario where they’d play again the following weekend, the regular season contest loses its prestige.

If I know I have a spot in the conference title game wrapped up and will likely face the same opponent the following weekend, I’m playing much more conservatively and sitting anyone that’s questionable.

The only way it’d happen is if they moved “The Game” up earlier in the regular season and that isn’t happening.

Edited by temptation

33 minutes ago, temptation said:

They already do beat the snot out of each other annually while Wisconsin and Iowa get the red carpet rolled out on the opposite side and cruise to the championship game (unless Northwestern has an out of body experience).

Also if you have an undefeated or 1 loss UM/OSU heading into the annual Thanksgiving matchup and the opposing team wins creating a scenario where they’d play again the following weekend, the regular season contest loses its prestige.

If I know I have a spot in the conference title game wrapped up and will likely face the same opponent the following weekend, I’m playing much more conservatively and sitting anyone that’s questionable.

The only way it’d happen is if they moved “The Game” up earlier in the regular season and that isn’t happening.

If the SEC can figure it out, so can the Big 10.  Bama/Auburn, GA/FL, etc are just as big games.  Soon add Texas/Oklahoma to the list.  They will figure out how to keep those rivalries going along with the cash it will generate.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

Anything is better than the lopsided divisions they have now.  

6 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

If the SEC can figure it out, so can the Big 10.  Bama/Auburn, GA/FL, etc are just as big games.  Soon add Texas/Oklahoma to the list.  They will figure out how to keep those rivalries going along with the cash it will generate.  Where there is a will, there is a way.

Anything is better than the lopsided divisions they have now.  

Can’t disagree.  But to prove my point look no farther than the SEC title game last year…

5 minutes ago, temptation said:

Can’t disagree.  But to prove my point look no farther than the SEC title game last year…

Maybe I am missing something.  SEC had division format and was fortunate to have 1 vs 2 in different divisions.  UGA had been pounding everyone, including blasting GA Tech 45-0 prior to the SEC Title game.  Bama meanwhile has a couple of tough games prior to the SEC title game to include Arkansas and a 2 pt OT win in the Iron Bowl.  Nobody was laying down.  Bama just took it to them and won the SEC title.  But both teams wanted it. Bama has some key injuries, UGA learns from their previous matchup and turns the table in the national title game.  

What I like about getting rid of divisions is the fact that the 2 best teams may be in the same division, yet one was eliminated prior making some of the championship games a yawner.  The new format should hopefully increase the chance of the 2 best teams slugging it out in the conference title game.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Maybe I am missing something.  SEC had division format and was fortunate to have 1 vs 2 in different divisions.  UGA had been pounding everyone, including blasting GA Tech 45-0 prior to the SEC Title game.  Bama meanwhile has a couple of tough games prior to the SEC title game to include Arkansas and a 2 pt OT win in the Iron Bowl.  Nobody was laying down.  Bama just took it to them and won the SEC title.  But both teams wanted it. Bama has some key injuries, UGA learns from their previous matchup and turns the table in the national title game.  

What I like about getting rid of divisions is the fact that the 2 best teams may be in the same division, yet one was eliminated prior making some of the championship games a yawner.  The new format should hopefully increase the chance of the 2 best teams slugging it out in the conference title game.  

Nobody “laid down” but Georgia WANTED to win that game and Bama NEEDED to win that game.

Big difference.

Edited by temptation

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nobody “laid down” but Georgia WANTED to win that game and Bama NEEDED to win that game.

Big difference.

I understand that Bama had a loss going in, but they were the better team that day and proved it.  I am not so sure UGA wins the title game if Bama didn't lose their top 2 receivers.  They lost 2 big time playmakers.  That is tough to overcome.  Injuries are part of the game as we all know....but I don't put much into one HAD to win and the other WANTED to win.  A SEC title was at stake and that meant the world to both teams.  Every game was important to win to make it to their championship game.  

Bottom line, had UGA and Bama been in the same division, the conference and most likely national championship matchup never occurs.  

4 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I understand that Bama had a loss going in, but they were the better team that day and proved it.  I am not so sure UGA wins the title game if Bama didn't lose their top 2 receivers.  They lost 2 big time playmakers.  That is tough to overcome.  Injuries are part of the game as we all know....but I don't put much into one HAD to win and the other WANTED to win.  A SEC title was at stake and that meant the world to both teams.  Every game was important to win to make it to their championship game.  

Bottom line, had UGA and Bama been in the same division, the conference and most likely national championship matchup never occurs.  

Which I wouldn’t have had a problem with.  You had your shot.

Of course I’m biased/bitter because my favorite program plays its rival in a pseudo playoff game more often than not and because of WHEN the game is played, the loser goes home.

I will take the 2016 loss to my grave.

College football has a major regional representation problem.

I want to see every region of the country represented in the playoff.

Edited by temptation