Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I figured it was best to start a 5A thread since there were a decent amount of comments about 5A. Who are the favorites? Are there any up-and-coming teams that will surprise us?

I can really only speak on the North. Sectional 10 is definitely the toughest in this half of the state. Whoever comes out of that (Valpo, Michigan city, Chesterton) will likely have to go through Merrillville for a place in semistate. My pick is Valpo vs merrillville at regionals! Merrillville loses there line on both sides, QB, RB!  but there will be a strong core of returning incoming seniors that will be ready to pick up the slack on both sides of the ball. They also have 2 of the top 25 seniors in state that play both ways. I think Merrillville will be a tough out for anyone in the north. Look for a snider/Merrillville matchup at semistate

south I’m gonna assume DC is your favorite 

so look for a merrillville vs DC state title game! 

29 minutes ago, BTF said:

Don't overlook Dwenger. They were down last year, 5-4 in the SAC, and still managed a sectional championship. 

Snider will take Dwenger out, North Side May surprise everyone. Dwenger lost their QB to North. They look tough.

Dwenger will be very small on the OL. Dwenger will be like last year but will be out first round.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mebuck said:

Snider will take Dwenger out, North Side May surprise everyone. Dwenger lost their QB to North. They look tough.

Dwenger will be very small on the OL. Dwenger will be like last year but will be out first round.

Is your response of downplaying the 2022 version, just another attempt to view it in a similar way as Coach Lou Holtz used to do, when he was the head coach at the N.D. Irish? I believe the media called his remarks as sandbagging. Or are you already disappointed and the game season has yet to commence?

All eyes will be on Northwest Indiana in 5A in 2022 as 8 of the schools in the 32 school class are clustered together in a tight 30 minute drive circle.  

Here they are top to bottom :

1. Merrillville - most talented of the group, 3 straight 6A semi states, top 2022 state championship contender behind Justin Marshall and Philip Roche.

Top Goal - Win 5A State

2. Valparaiso - Bill Marshall has the best program of the group, top to bottom in terms having the ability to incorporate a system and reload to support consistent varsity success.

Top Goal - Win 5A State

3. Chesterton - The Trojans lose the DACs top QB in Chris Mullen but this program has developed over the past 5 years to one that has the ability every year to contend with the top schools in The DAC.

Top Goal - Win DAC title

4. Michigan City - The Wolves have a RB in Jaden Hart who has been offered by Nebraska, but the program is not developing high quality linemen like others in the conference.  MC defense was lit up in the post season last year.  Pressure building on Phil Mason to deliver some post season success.  

Top Goal - Win DAC, reach LOS in NOV.

5. Laporte - coaching turnover has set this program back since the Bob Schellinger run down to state in 2015.  Slicer Blueblood Bob James gets his chance to stabilize the program and Laporte always has the talent to be dangerous.

Top Goal - Stabilize program, win some DAC games

6. Hammond Morton - the Govs are still the desired program in Hammond, but Central is closing the gap.  Outbound transfers have sapped the Morton roster of talent over the past few seasons.  Big year for Coach Mac Mishler to see if he is the right guy for the long term 

Top Goal - Hush the doubters, keep their best players from transferring, win a sectional. 

7. Hammond Central - this program is up and running and might have more potential upside than any other in this group.  The brand new high tech high school campus will likely draw kids from all over Hammond as well as across the state line into Illinois.  Coach Adam Hudak has run small school programs at Lake Station and Wheeler and has his chance now to make his mark at the big school level.  Supporters will be looking for significant improvement on last years 2-8 debut.

Top Goal - Beat and surpass Morton

8. Munster - the Mustangs have fallen completely off the football radar and have been uncompetitive since Leroy Marsh retired, leaving the cupboard barren 5 years ago.  Jason Grunewald won 3 games last year and Stang numbers are rising and the program once again has a pulse.  Still a big uphill climb for MHS.  

Top Goal - Rebuild program numbers, close the gap with Andrean, Lowell and Hobart. 

Edited by DT

1 hour ago, DT said:

Pressure building on Phil Mason to deliver some post season success. 

He’s won regionals 50% of his seasons there. At a school that hadn’t won one sectional before he got there. Do you think about these statements before you post them? 

24 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

He’s won regionals 50% of his seasons there. At a school that hadn’t won one sectional before he got there. Do you think about these statements before you post them? 

And in two of the three years that MC lost regionals, the team they lost to are the likes of Zionsville and New Pal and in all three years, the teams that they lost to ended up at LOS in that season.

The southern half is definitely much weaker. The discrepancy in depth between the north and south might be the biggest in the state at the 5A level. 

As for the southern teams, Decatur Central and Harrison are the favorites to make it to state. Ironically, they’re in the same sectional. It’ll be interesting to see how that game goes.

There are other teams to keep an eye out for even though they’re not threats to win state.

- Whiteland is always in the top 10 mix. A solid program that can’t seem to ever break through regionals. I know they lost a lot of key players off of the 2020 9-2 team. So after going 6-4 last year, can they return to or even top that 9-2 mark? They should be the favorite in sectional 14.

- Sectional 15 is interesting because of two teams: Bloomington South and Columbus East. Bloomington South always seems to have a lot of talent but they’re never able to stay healthy enough and/or disciplined enough to put it all together and make a run in the postseason.

- Columbus East is coming off its worst season since 2002. It had won 107 straight games against conference opponents but went 4-2 last year in HHC play. The streak of 17 consecutive conference championships came to an end as a result. It was anticipated that East would have a down year in 2021 but it went worse than some expected. And while the talent pool at the school has gone down over the last few years, the team is much more experienced than last year. Will this translate to success? Was last year an anomaly? Or will this be the norm without Bob Gaddis as head coach? Definitely something to keep an eye on.

- Castle is the favorite in sectional 16 although Evansville North has gone from a losing team to a team finishing at .500 over the last three years under Joey Paridaen. Can they build off of that and finally have their first winning season in 15 years? They’ve beaten Castle twice in the last three years. Can they break through and win a sectional for the first time in 22 years?

These are the teams and storylines I’ll be following closely in the southern half of the state. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

45 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Very aware of all that.  Sometimes its not all about the won-loss record and the post season advancement.  There have been consistent rumblings about style and substance relative to coaching at MC for a few years now.  Many are not thrilled with the current setup, and expect better results given what the staff has had to work with.  Many insiders feel the program has underperformed.  

Solid analysis.  I’d flip Michigan City and Chesterton if it were me though.

One thing is for sure, this class just became a hell of a lot more intriguing and these teams are breathing a sigh of relief with Cathedral out of the way.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

The southern half is definitely much weaker. The discrepancy in depth between the north and south might be the biggest in the state at the 5A level. 

As for the southern teams, Decatur Central and Harrison are the favorites to make it to state. Ironically, they’re in the same sectional. It’ll be interesting to see how that game goes.

There are other teams to keep an eye out for even though they’re not threats to win state.

- Whiteland is always in the top 10 mix. A solid program that can’t seem to ever break through regionals. I know they lost a lot of key players off of the 2020 9-2 team. So after going 6-4 last year, can they return to or even top that 9-2 mark? They should be the favorite in sectional 14.

- Sectional 15 is interesting because of two teams: Bloomington South and Columbus East. Bloomington South always seems to have a lot of talent but they’re never able to stay healthy enough and/or disciplined enough to put it all together and make a run in the postseason.

- Columbus East is coming off its worst season since 2002. It had won 107 straight games against conference opponents but went 4-2 last year in HHC play. The streak of 17 consecutive conference championships came to an end as a result. It was anticipated that East would have a down year in 2021 but it went worse than some expected. And while the talent pool at the school has gone down over the last few years, the team is much more experienced than last year. Will this translate to success? Was last year an anomaly? Or will this be the norm without Bob Gaddis as head coach? Definitely something to keep an eye on.

- Castle is the favorite in sectional 16 although Evansville North has gone from a losing team to a team finishing at .500 over the last three years under Joey Paridaen. Can they build off of that and finally have their first winning season in 15 years? They’ve beaten Castle twice in the last three years. Can they break through and win a sectional for the first time in 22 years?

These are the teams and storylines I’ll be following closely in the southern half of the state. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out.

Plainfield is another team to watch.  This will be the final season for Coach Brian Woodard.  The Quakers just won the State Track Championship and have speed to burn, as well as a lot of returning talent.  This will be Woodards' last shot at DC, which has been standing in the way, along with Cathedral, for several years.  

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

Solid analysis.  I’d flip Michigan City and Chesterton if it were me though.

One thing is for sure, this class just became a hell of a lot more intriguing and these teams are breathing a sigh of relief with Cathedral out of the way.

They are very close.  Mason is 4-2 against CHS, Trojans have won the last 2 matchups.  

21 minutes ago, DT said:

Very aware of all that.  Sometimes its not all about the won-loss record and the post season advancement.  There have been consistent rumblings about style and substance relative to coaching at MC for a few years now.  Many are not thrilled with the current setup, and expect better results given what the staff has had to work with.  Many insiders feel the program has underperformed.  

Ah yes, the bleacher coaches, with their infinite wisdom. A couple phrases come to mind on this: "Be careful what you wish for" and "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".  

27 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I'd say the discrepancy between 4A South and 4A North is much greater, but you're right that 5A North is clearly deeper than its southern counterpart. I think your analysis of the South is pretty spot-on. Right now I'd pick DC like everyone else but Harrison played Zionsville tougher last year than any 5A team not named Cathedral (I think they even had the lead at half). Will be interesting to see how everything plays out. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Ah yes, the bleacher coaches, with their infinite wisdom. A couple phrases come to mind on this: "Be careful what you wish for" and "Don't bite the hand that feeds you".  

I'd say the discrepancy between 4A South and 4A North is much greater, but you're right that 5A North is clearly deeper than its southern counterpart. I think your analysis of the South is pretty spot-on. Right now I'd pick DC like everyone else but Harrison played Zionsville tougher last year than any 5A team not named Cathedral (I think they even had the lead at half). Will be interesting to see how everything plays out. 

he North looks deeper on paper, but the south has higher quality programs overall and has dominated in the post season.  Until someone on that list of Northern schools steps out and wins a title, its still the Souths to lose.  

9 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

There seems to be some racial tension within that program.  

7 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Harrison will be a team to watch this year.  Historically they are a team that hasn't been on anyone's radar with three back-to-back 0-10 seasons leading up to Coach Peebles arrival.  The Roncalli game in 2020 where Harrison went back and forth in lead changes and dropped a 4-point game got lost in a 6-4 season with losses to 6A Westfield and Zionsville who also lost at LOS in 6A/5A respectively that year.  Last season should have raised eyes with the win over Jeff and the Zionsville loss, which as you mentioned, Harrison led going into the half.  Zionsville did a great job coming out and riding Price's legs and a great half-time adjustment to take that sectional title.  Most folks wrote it off as Harrison still looking like those 0-10, but I think there's some decent progress being missed there ... which frankly is fine with me as you get a chance to sneak up on folks that don't look behind the curtain.  Plenty of undercard work going on and a program that is continually growing in count, physically, and conceptually as well.  I think these next couple of seasons will give us a really good idea of whether they are poised for that next step or still need a lot more work.  They get West Lafayette and Plainfield right out of the gate as well as a scrimmage with cross-town 2A LCC.  They will then face off against 6A Jeff at the end of September.  Unfortunately, due to the NCC rotation, they won't get Kokomo this season.

1 hour ago, DT said:

he North looks deeper on paper, but the south has higher quality programs overall and has dominated in the post season.  Until someone on that list of Northern schools steps out and wins a title, its still the Souths to lose.  

There seems to be some racial tension within that program.  

I can agree the north needs to step up. But the top 5 favorites in 5A (4 in north) 

1A merrillville

1B DC

3. Valpo

4. city 

5. Mishawaka (yes I said Mishawaka) 

4 minutes ago, Piratefan101 said:

I can agree the north needs to step up. But the top 5 favorites in 5A (4 in north) 

1A merrillville

1B DC

3. Valpo

4. city 

Is Penn now the third best program in its backyard?

Edited by temptation

Yes, Valpo has been traditionally the better team, but I think Merrillville, and now Michigan City are 1-2 in DAC. Last years win in regional for MC was what Mason needed to get over the hump. MC has the second best offensive player in Hart and the best QB returning in the conference, and maybe 5A. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

1A merrillville

1B DC

3. Valpo

4. city 

Looks good to me.

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Is Penn now the third best program in its backyard?

Penn is definitely on a down side. But Elkhart and Mishawaka might be above them 

3 hours ago, DACNUT said:

Yes, Valpo has been traditionally the better team, but I think Merrillville, and now Michigan City are 1-2 in DAC. Last years win in regional for MC was what Mason needed to get over the hump. MC has the second best offensive player in Hart and the best QB returning in the conference, and maybe 5A. 

You gotta remember merrillvilles new QB played every game last season with starters and was putting up the same numbers as the starter!! There is no drop off there 

Some thoughts on the potential of the 5A DAC Teams:

- Merrillville: Returns some high-end talent to mix with some new transfers. Heard they've looked good in scrimmages. Obvious preseason favorite. They get a JV sectional to play in, where the other 5A DAC will have to play each other again. Many people are expecting big things from the Pirates this year, and if they fail, it will be even more embarrassing than the past two seasons. 

- Valpo: Lose nearly all of their offensive and defensive production from last year. They'll have talent in the trenches but the big question is how the skill positions look. This is the one area Marshall just can't seem to develop and has definitely held them back in the past couple seasons. I still think they'll be solid, but they took a slight step back last year, and I think they'll take another slight step back this year. 

- City: Lost a lot of studs but returning a D1 RB (Hart w/ multiple P5s) and a D1 QB (Bush w/ a Temple offer and more to come) is a huge boon. But, as DT mentioned, they basically have the inverse of Valpo's problem: a plethora of skill players ready to step up but a lack of depth and size on the offensive line. How they piece together that OL and how those kids perform will likely make-or-break their season. The defense will always give up big plays: that's how Richards plays and he's going roll the dice. Sometimes that aggression gets you burnt like against Zionsville, other times you beat Valpo in regionals because you're not afraid of getting burnt. 

- Chesterton: This team really disappointed me at the end of the last season. Really finished weak losing to CP and then laying an egg against one of the worst Penn teams in recent memory in the sectional title game after talking of beating Merrillville in the regional only weeks prior. They lose a lot from that team as well. I know the young QB is promising, but I think Ville, City, Valpo, and CP are all ahead of them in the DAC at this moment. I don't see them as a post season threat. 

- LaPorte: Godspeed to Coach James. This program has some problems. 

As an aside, I feel like Snider needs to be in the conversation here. Just from looking them up it seems like they return a decent amount of production from last year's team, and with Dwenger expecting to be a little down, the sectional is very winnable. Taking out Mishawaka in the regional isn't too tall of a task either. That would leave the whatever DAC team is left as their last obstacle. I think they easily could end up down at LOS. 

45 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Some thoughts on the potential of the 5A DAC Teams:

- Merrillville: Returns some high-end talent to mix with some new transfers. Heard they've looked good in scrimmages. Obvious preseason favorite. They get a JV sectional to play in, where the other 5A DAC will have to play each other again. Many people are expecting big things from the Pirates this year, and if they fail, it will be even more embarrassing than the past two seasons. 

- Valpo: Lose nearly all of their offensive and defensive production from last year. They'll have talent in the trenches but the big question is how the skill positions look. This is the one area Marshall just can't seem to develop and has definitely held them back in the past couple seasons. I still think they'll be solid, but they took a slight step back last year, and I think they'll take another slight step back this year. 

- City: Lost a lot of studs but returning a D1 RB (Hart w/ multiple P5s) and a D1 QB (Bush w/ a Temple offer and more to come) is a huge boon. But, as DT mentioned, they basically have the inverse of Valpo's problem: a plethora of skill players ready to step up but a lack of depth and size on the offensive line. How they piece together that OL and how those kids perform will likely make-or-break their season. The defense will always give up big plays: that's how Richards plays and he's going roll the dice. Sometimes that aggression gets you burnt like against Zionsville, other times you beat Valpo in regionals because you're not afraid of getting burnt. 

- Chesterton: This team really disappointed me at the end of the last season. Really finished weak losing to CP and then laying an egg against one of the worst Penn teams in recent memory in the sectional title game after talking of beating Merrillville in the regional only weeks prior. They lose a lot from that team as well. I know the young QB is promising, but I think Ville, City, Valpo, and CP are all ahead of them in the DAC at this moment. I don't see them as a post season threat. 

- LaPorte: Godspeed to Coach James. This program has some problems. 

As an aside, I feel like Snider needs to be in the conversation here. Just from looking them up it seems like they return a decent amount of production from last year's team, and with Dwenger expecting to be a little down, the sectional is very winnable. Taking out Mishawaka in the regional isn't too tall of a task either. That would leave the whatever DAC team is left as their last obstacle. I think they easily could end up down at LOS. 

From what I hear Mishawaka is huge!! They have a nfl size line on offense. And they are great runnblockers I think the Mishawaka of old is back for a few years 

1 hour ago, scarab527 said:

As an aside, I feel like Snider needs to be in the conversation here. Just from looking them up it seems like they return a decent amount of production from last year's team, and with Dwenger expecting to be a little down, the sectional is very winnable. 

Mishawaka would be best served saving some of their starters for Merrillville when they play the Snider/Dwenger/North Side winner......presuming Anderson isn't in the conversation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piratefan101 said:

Penn is definitely on a down side. But Elkhart and Mishawaka might be above them 

You gotta remember merrillvilles new QB played every game last season with starters and was putting up the same numbers as the starter!! There is no drop off there 

You gotta remember to be quiet until November.

Same shit different year.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Mishawaka would be best served saving some of their starters for Merrillville when they play the Snider/Dwenger/North Side winner......presuming Anderson isn't in the conversation. 

Not much confidence in the Fort apparently