Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Rumor: UCLA/USC to the Big Ten in 2024

temptation

Not a fan at all. The only thing that makes sense is the TV market. But, these 2 teams have not really been competitive in the PAC 12; which, based on history, has not really been in the championship picture in a long time. I know national media and pollsters try to make it so, but it just does not happen. 

2 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

If true BTN gets west coast media market, think in terms of BTN in TV’s in LA County. If the. If Big Ten pulls this off, they are in the two largest media markets in the Western Hemisphere. 

Does it matter though most good big ten games are on abc/espn where as btn gets northwestern Rutgers 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

I got a feeling a break from the NCAA may be coming. 

Agreed. Highly doubt just USC and UCLA are coming. At this point it seems those running the show are making strategic moves that seem odd on the surface as they strategize a new league. Oklahoma and Texas willingly making their lives harder? USC and UCLA of all teams to the Big Ten? The split is inevitable and at that point it’s just a matter of who gets invited to the super conferences of B1G and SEC. At that point I would expect them to disband into different cohorts that could mix teams from different historical conferences. 

• Like 1

In the inevitable rearrangement that will result in 4 mega-conferences, the PAC 12 will be the one unable to find a chair when the music stops. It will cease to exist. USC & UCLA are just trying to get ahead of it … like Texas & Oklahoma did.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

In the inevitable rearrangement that will result in 4 mega-conferences, the PAC 12 will be the one unable to find a chair when the music stops. It will cease to exist. USC & UCLA are just trying to get ahead of it … like Texas & Oklahoma did.

Rest of the Pac 12 better get a move on it.

2 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Hearing chatter of ND to the big ten also? Any truth to this? Thought they were tied to the ACC for quite a few years

I would think they would go to the ACC. 

As far as the PAC 12, I think the remaining teams there and the ones left in the Big 12 will combine. 

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

As far as the PAC 12, I think the remaining teams there and the ones left in the Big 12 will combine. 

This all seems plausible, but I think plausibility is out the window at this point. The Big Ten is likely going to bring in somebody out of Oregon, Washington, Arizona State and Arizona. I'm sure they're still working on the white whales of North Carolina and Virginia. At some point Florida State, Miami, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and yes even Notre Dame will be forced into picking a side. 

Ultimately, I understand why it's assumed the ACC  and left overs of the Big 12/Pac 12 will be the last 2 super conferences next to the Big Ten and SEC. But, is two watered down leagues a reality? The Big Ten and SEC will still hold all of the invitations and decide who gets into the party, which makes those leagues irrelevant. That's why I strongly feel we're heading towards two super conferences that just break away from everyone else.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The Big Ten will likely flex out to 20 schools.  The Tier 1 schools (OU/TX/USC/UCLA) are finding new homes in the BT and SEC.  The Tier 2 schools Wash St/Ore St/Ok State/Kansas St/Ia State ) will wind up in the T2 conferences (ACC/B120

I think if the Big 10 adds 4 more to get to 20, it will be one of the following two combinations :

1: Washington/Oregon/ND/Kansas

2: North carolina/Virginia/ND/Kansas

20 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Hearing chatter of ND to the big ten also? Any truth to this? Thought they were tied to the ACC for quite a few years

The Big Ten, Pac 12, and ACC formed an alliance last summer that was just nuked up by the Big Ten. At this point you can't trust anything you think you know about college athletics.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Yeah. Ratings and who is on BTN don’t matter. All that matters is BTN being added to cable packages.

At some point but not now. My guess is non-west coast alums will love to be able to catch a 7:00pm tip-off on BTN. 
UCLA/USC bring a ton on content to the deal as well, seems like a great marriage for soccer. 

11 minutes ago, DT said:

The Big Ten will likely flex out to 20 schools.  The Tier 1 schools (OU/TX/USC/UCLA) are finding new homes in the BT and SEC.  The Tier 2 schools Wash St/Ore St/Ok State/Kansas St/Ia State ) will wind up in the T2 conferences (ACC/B120

I think if the Big 10 adds 4 more to get to 20, it will be one of the following two combinations :

1: Washington/Oregon/ND/Kansas

2: North carolina/Virginia/ND/Kansas

I could end up being wrong, but I think Kansas has no value. Their academics aren't Pac 12/ACC caliber, the only valuable TV market they provide is Kansas City, and they are basically just a men's basketball school. I don't see a place at mega conference table for them. 

44 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Won’t happen but the selfish side of me would love to watch the irony of the Big Ten saying “no thanks.”

Edited by temptation

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Won’t happen but the selfish side of me would love to watch the irony of the Big Ten saying “no thanks.”

Haha...that would be great. They've always relished the idea of being unique with their standalone NBC deal and independent football schedule. Force them into the Big Ten, SEC, or a bandaged ACC for football and now they're just like everyone else.