Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Metropolitan Interscholastic Conference Thread (MIC)

Metropolitan Conference   Overall   Class
W-L Pct.   W-L Pct.   Sectional
Center Grove 7-0 1.000   14-0 1.000   6A 8
Carmel 6-1 0.857   9-2 0.818   6A 5
Lawrence North 4-3 0.571   7-4 0.636   6A 7
Warren Central 4-3 0.571   5-4 0.556   6A 7
Ben Davis 3-4 0.429   7-6 0.538   6A 6
Lawrence Central 2-5 0.286   4-7 0.364   6A 7
North Central (Indianapolis) 1-6 0.143   1-9 0.100   6A 7
Pike 1-6 0.143   1-9 0.100   6A 5

The MIC 6 will carry forward without juggernaut programs Center Grove and Carmel.  Ben Davis and Warren Central rise back to the top as co favorites, just like the old days.  

Tier 1:  Ben Davis, Warren Central

Tier 2:  Lawrence North, North Central

Tier 3:  Lawrence Central, Pike

Best Offensive Player:  Joe Walker (Warren Central)

Best Defensive Player:  Joshua Mickens (Lawrence Central)

Best Coach (Tie):  Kevin O’Shea (NC)/Mike Kirschner (WC)

Coach on the Rise:  Pat Mallory (LN)

Projected Order of Finish:

1.  Warren Central

2.  Ben Davis

3.  Lawrence North

4.  North Central

5.  Lawrence Central

6.  Pike

My experience with the MIC is usually pretty good considering I went to Warren Central. I agree that the Warriors will win the conference title this season. Ben Davis will more than likely finish second. Pike might surprise me. I know the Lawrences are talented. NC is the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Warren Central Warrior
  • Haha 1

Honestly think this conference is more open than people want to lead on. Ben Davis and Warren get the obvious nod due to name recognition, but BD and WC talent at the top has dropped off significantly. LC has the best player in the conference by far. North Central already has two FBS commits in its senior class which is more than BD and WC to my knowledge. Pike and LN both have a few kids getting D1 looks. 

Warren Central's schedule could end up being a blessing or a curse. Open up with two extremely tough opponents who should be nationally ranked. Playing tough and competitive should keep the morale high but I think there's a decent chance Warren gets housed in both games and could lead to a let down game once conference action starts. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Honestly think this conference is more open than people want to lead on. Ben Davis and Warren get the obvious nod due to name recognition, but BD and WC talent at the top has dropped off significantly. LC has the best player in the conference by far. North Central already has two FBS commits in its senior class which is more than BD and WC to my knowledge. Pike and LN both have a few kids getting D1 looks. 

Warren Central's schedule could end up being a blessing or a curse. Open up with two extremely tough opponents who should be nationally ranked. Playing tough and competitive should keep the morale high but I think there's a decent chance Warren gets housed in both games and could lead to a let down game once conference action starts. 

I agree.  Pike has a new staff and should be rejuvenated.  LN has momentum from last year and Mickens might be the best player in Indiana at LC.  Even things are looking better at NC.  

Great points by both of you but I still see a decisive edge for BD and Warren and due to much more than just “name recognition.”

Now, if you want to do a stock up/stock down type of ordeal then I will ABSOLUTELY agree that the other four conference teams have reason for optimism, maybe even much more so than BD and WC at this stage.

The Omar Cooper/Donaven McCulley squad that couldn’t muster more than 7 points against an average Warren team in the sectional two years back broke me I guess.

I’ll need to see it from those other four before I can believe it.  I think they are capable of springing an upset over the top two but can they stay out of their own way and not stub their toe and won the ones they should?

Edited by temptation

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Great points by both of you but I still see a decisive edge for BD and Warren and due to much more than just “name recognition.”

Now, if you want to do a stock up/stock down type of ordeal then I will ABSOLUTELY agree that the other four conference teams have reason for optimism, maybe even much more so than BD and WC at this stage.

The Omar Cooper/Donaven McCulley squad that couldn’t muster more than 7 points against an average Warren team in the sectional two years back broke me I guess.

I’ll need to see it from those other four before I can believe it.  I think they are capable of springing an upset over the top two but can they stay out of their own way and not stub their toe and won the ones they should?

I recall watching the stream of the CG - WC season opener last year.  It was Mike Kirschner's first game as Warrior HC.  It was without doubt the worst looking Warren team I had ever seen.  Small, sloppy , slow, undisciplined, overweight, out of shape, not ready to play. I know WC improved over the course of the season, but the Warriors had one next level player that I saw on the field in the big wideout.  The talent simply is not there like it used to be.  I also think its likely Coach Ks best coaching days are in the rear view mirror.  WC scheduled like the WC of 15 years ago.  They may have gotten in over their heads.

6 minutes ago, temptation said:

With CG and Carmel out of the conference, there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel for LC/LN/NC/Pike. With the exception of Pike, the other three have tasted some success the last few years against Ben Davis and/or Warren Central in some capacity. The mountain that one of these teams need to climb in order to be named MIC champions just became a hill. Would still bet on WC and BD finishing 1-2 in some order but you just never know. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DT said:

I recall watching the stream of the CG - WC season opener last year.  It was Mike Kirschner's first game as Warrior HC.  It was without doubt the worst looking Warren team I had ever seen.  Small, sloppy , slow, undisciplined, overweight, out of shape, not ready to play. I know WC improved over the course of the season, but the Warriors had one next level player that I saw on the field in the big wideout.  The talent simply is not there like it used to be.  I also think its likely Coach Ks best coaching days are in the rear view mirror.  WC scheduled like the WC of 15 years ago.  They may have gotten in over their heads.

No disrespect intended to the Trojans, but 365 days ago Warren was being criticized by a select few for the opposite infraction when they scheduled 3A Chatard.

The expectations, whether you agree or not, have not changed on the east side and you may be right.  Though tournament success is what this program was built upon, it’s not hard to fathom them them having a sub .500 record this regular season.

Edited by temptation

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

With CG and Carmel out of the conference, there has to be a light at the end of the tunnel for LC/LN/NC/Pike. With the exception of Pike, the other three have tasted some success the last few years against Ben Davis and/or Warren Central in some capacity. The mountain that one of these teams need to climb in order to be named MIC champions just became a hill. Would still bet on WC and BD finishing 1-2 in some order but you just never know. 

Have all 4 indicated they are dropping CA and CG after the 2022 contracted games have been fulfilled?  I believe WC and BD have both indicated their desire to keep playing Hounds and Trojans in non con play.

1 minute ago, DT said:

Have all 4 indicated they are dropping CA and CG after the 2022 contracted games have been fulfilled?  I believe WC and BD have both indicated their desire to keep playing Hounds and Trojans in non con play.

Not sure but they don't necessarily have to worry about beating Carmel or Center Grove as it pertains to winning the MIC. Not having a team like Carmel or Center Grove in your conference any more has to be a big psychological boost if you're one of those teams. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Not sure but they don't necessarily have to worry about beating Carmel or Center Grove as it pertains to winning the MIC. Not having a team like Carmel or Center Grove in your conference any more has to be a big psychological boost if you're one of those teams. 

Teams are physically worn down after playing CG and CA.  It would be in the best interests on NC/LN/LC and PK NOT to schedule either team during the regular season.  

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Teams are physically worn down after playing CG and CA.  It would be in the best interests on NC/LN/LC and PK NOT to schedule either team during the regular season.  

I think if it’s up to O’Sheas he’ll keep them both on the schedule. He’s always been up for a challenge to test his teams, I swear to God he has. 

• Haha 1

Obviously past performance doesn’t necessarily indicate or predict future results but putting this in writing sort of makes it eye popping:

North Central and Lawrence North are original members of the MIC and since the conference was founded here is how those numbers breakdown against Warren and Ben Davis.

NC is 4-22 all-time against BD and 4-36 against Warren.

LN is 4-21 all-time against BD and 5-29 against Warren.

Since Pike and Lawrence Central were added to the conference in 2013…

Pike is 2-10 all-time against BD and 1-9 against Warren.

LC is 2-8 all-time against BD and 2-11 against Warren.

Now, the shining light for those four programs in all of this data is that they have won more recently as opposed to the previous two decades, so while not impossible, the “hill” mentioned by @Footballking16 is indeed no longer a mountain.

23 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Or it makes you soft as you know it’s a fairly “meaningless” game in the grand scheme of things…though @Bobref says they are all meaningless since we have no playoff qualification format in Indiana.

Edited by temptation

29 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I think if it’s up to O’Sheas he’ll keep them both on the schedule. He’s always been up for a challenge to test his teams, I swear to God he has. 

Carmel and CG should really show some scheduling intestinal fortitude by refusing to play any further games against any MIC school that voted them out of the conference.  Its a matter of principle.  As difficult as it may be to find good local competition, it makes no sense to be publicly humiliated and kicked out of your conference, but go on playing as if nothing ever happened.  

Edited by DT

43 minutes ago, DT said:

Carmel and CG should really show some scheduling intestinal fortitude by refusing to play any further games against any MIC school that voted them out of the conference.  Its a matter of principle.  As difficult as it may be to find good local competition, it makes no sense to be publicly humiliated and kicked out of your conference, but go on playing as if nothing ever happened.  

Eh, I’ll disagree slightly.  Don’t punish the kids because the adults are morons.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Or it makes you soft as you know it’s a fairly “meaningless” game in the grand scheme of things…though @Bobref says they are all meaningless since we have no playoff qualification format in Indiana.

Just a minute now. I never said that. In fact, I have gone to great lengths not to say that. What I have consistently said is that regular season games would be more meaningful with a playoff qualification format. There’s a big difference.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Just a minute now. I never said that. In fact, I have gone to great lengths not to say that. What I have consistently said is that regular season games would be more meaningful with a playoff qualification format. There’s a big difference.

Tomato/tomato 

Why is everybody so argumentative?  Must be the heat and humidity.  I just chewed out the property manager for shutting down the pool due to "chemical issues."  Really?