Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Northeast 8 Conference Thread (NE8)

Northeast 8 Conference   Overall   Class
W-L Pct.   W-L Pct.   Sectional
Leo 7-0 1.000   11-1 0.917   4A 19
Norwell 6-1 0.857   11-2 0.846   3A 27
East Noble 5-2 0.714   6-3 0.667   4A 19
New Haven 4-3 0.571   5-6 0.455   4A 20
Columbia City 3-4 0.429   5-6 0.455   4A 19
Bellmont 1-6 0.143   1-9 0.100   3A 27
DeKalb 1-6 0.143   2-9 0.182   4A 19
Huntington North 1-6 0.143   2-8 0.200   4A 20

Leo could be vulnerable after departure of long time Coach Jared Sauder.  Several rising programs and a few potential sleepers make this a very interesting conference race. 

Not sure what New Haven has, but guessing this will be a 3 horse race between Leo, East Noble, and Norwell. I think big things can happen for the Kingsland, Uniondale, Ossian, Zanesville, part of Markle folks this year in all 3 big sports.

1 hour ago, Basementbias said:

Not sure what New Haven has, but guessing this will be a 3 horse race between Leo, East Noble, and Norwell. I think big things can happen for the Kingsland, Uniondale, Ossian, Zanesville, part of Markle folks this year in all 3 big sports.

Had a very interesting chat recently with CC HC Brett Fox.  They have some nice things going on there.  Check out what he has to say.

https://www.facebook.com/page/107360041590757/search/?q=columbis city high school

The teams in this conference are definitely going to look a lot different this year, but I think the standings will shake out pretty close to years past.  Who comes out on top might be a toss up between a few teams, but I have my hunch.

Leo and EN both graduated a ton of talent and both will look drastically different.  Leo installing an entire new offense under new leadership. Can they hit the ground running in year 1?  Call me skeptical like always lol.

Bolt from CC and Williams from NH both gone, both the leaders and field generals of their teams.  Their replacements will have a huge impact on their teams' success, whoever they are.

Dekalb is my sleeper.. they could surprise a team or 2 and shake things up although a conference title is still out of reach.

HN and Bellmont still bringing up the rear.

Norwell is probably my favorite.  This senior class has won A LOT of ballgames going all the way back to 7th grade and with the drop off in talent at Leo/EN this is probably their best chance in years.

I could see the standings shaking out like:

1. Norwell,

2,3. EN/LEO

4,5. CC/NH

6. Dekalb

7. HN

8. Bellmont

With any of Norwell, Leo, or East Noble winning the title. 

Edited by Knightsfan_01

3 hours ago, Knightsfan_01 said:

The teams in this conference are definitely going to look a lot different this year, but I think the standings will shake out pretty close to years past.  Who comes out on top might be a toss up between a few teams, but I have my hunch.

Leo and EN both graduated a ton of talent and both will look drastically different.  Leo installing an entire new offense under new leadership. Can they hit the ground running in year 1?  Call me skeptical like always lol.

Bolt from CC and Williams from NH both gone, both the leaders and field generals of their teams.  Their replacements will have a huge impact on their teams' success, whoever they are.

Dekalb is my sleeper.. they could surprise a team or 2 and shake things up although a conference title is still out of reach.

HN and Bellmont still bringing up the rear.

Norwell is probably my favorite.  This senior class has won A LOT of ballgames going all the way back to 7th grade and with the drop off in talent at Leo/EN this is probably their best chance in years.

I could see the standings shaking out like:

1. Norwell,

2,3. EN/LEO

4,5. CC/NH

6. Dekalb

7. HN

8. Bellmont

With any of Norwell, Leo, or East Noble winning the title. 

In your view, what is holding the program back at HN?  Are they just not committed to football?

1 hour ago, DT said:

In your view, what is holding the program back at HN?  Are they just not committed to football?

I could only fathom a guess but they've had quite a run of mediocrity, their last winning season being 2009.

I would guess a combination of a lack of community/administration support and poor facilities.  They've got a 4th year coach and a new turf field to start this season so maybe that's changing.  No idea what their youth league is like. 

My predicted order of finish:

1. East Noble- They will take back over control of the NE8 with Leo hit by graduation and a new coach.

2. Norwell- I think they will make some noise in 3A but will not get the NE8 crown.

3. Leo- Will be fun to watch the athletes at Leo in the spread offense.  Give them a couple years.

4. New Haven- Possibly the most athletic team in the conference but will be undisciplined as they always are and lose to better coached teams.

5. Columbia City- Will be interesting to see how they do without Bolt but always seem to have good numbers.

6. HN- Not sure why they haven't been able to make a jump into the top of this conference yet. 

7. Bellmont- Will be slightly improved, but will still struggle as the smallest school in the conference. 

8. Dekalb- Will continue to struggle.  

18 minutes ago, NE8Fan said:

My predicted order of finish:

1. East Noble- They will take back over control of the NE8 with Leo hit by graduation and a new coach.

2. Norwell- I think they will make some noise in 3A but will not get the NE8 crown.

3. Leo- Will be fun to watch the athletes at Leo in the spread offense.  Give them a couple years.

4. New Haven- Possibly the most athletic team in the conference but will be undisciplined as they always are and lose to better coached teams.

5. Columbia City- Will be interesting to see how they do without Bolt but always seem to have good numbers.

6. HN- Not sure why they haven't been able to make a jump into the top of this conference yet. 

7. Bellmont- Will be slightly improved, but will still struggle as the smallest school in the conference. 

8. Dekalb- Will continue to struggle.  

Thanks for your analysis.  We have posted to the GID FB page for our nearly 10,000 viewers to enjoy.  

https://www.facebook.com/GridironDigest

This year SHOULD be a 3 Horse race with defending champ Leo, Norwell and East Noble leading the pack. My thoughts are:

1/1A: Leo/Norwell:  I only say this because I believe defending champs have earned the right to be considered favorites until someone knocks them off there perch.  With that being said, that very well could come in week three for Leo.  Norwell UNDOUBTEDLY returns the most talent of all the NE8 teams this season.  Best lineman in conference (Bolyn), check....best RB in conference (Graft) check, best returning defensive unit (scoring), check.  BUT....Norwell's achilles heel in the past few years has been the Lions and they have had a VERY difficult time putting points on the board against Leo.  Will that change with a completely new staff and offensive/defensive system for the Lions? Lions lose possibly the MOST talent to graduation in Livingston (WVU), Allen (Rutgers), Sheron (Davidson) and Crawford (Illinois St).  They will need to replace their defensive line and 3/5 of their offensive line.  They do return , I believe, the #2 lineman in the conference in Colin Butler as well as Lb's Baker and Holcomb, DB/WR Zeisloft and, possibly their most important piece 2 way starter Ethan Crawford.  This guy, though,  is not sold on the Lions being successful in a spread offense right away. There may have been a reason the Lions ran a power running attack under Coach Sauder the last few years.  Who's their QB is a question that needs to be answered and answered quickly.  NE8 title implications get much clearer after week 3.

3. East Noble:  The Knights will ALWAYS be in the race for a conference title based on their coaching staff and consistent talent level coach Amstutz develops in Kendalville.  He is an offensive mastermind when it comes to finding holes in a defense and putting his offensive playmakers in a position to make plays.  This year he will need to find new playmakers for his 2nd year QB (Brazel) to get the ball to. The Knights lost a LOAD of offensive talent in Zolman, Munson, Carrico, Christian and bigs Hood and Charles.  Some new faces will need to grow up fast with back to back games against Leo and Norwell in weeks 5 & 6.  Expect East Noble to be very much in the conference race going into the week 6 matchup with Norwell.....

4. New Haven: The Bulldogs will, more often than not, have some of the most athletic teams in the conference still feeding off the closing of Harding and absorbing the majority of those kids.  They may also have the top overall player in the NE8 this year in Mylan Graham who has absolutely blown up on the recruiting trail this spring/summer.  Their most glaring weakness is their offensive and defensive lines.  If they EVER want to be a serious title contender these areas MUST get better for the Dawgs.  A new QB (NorthSide transfer) could help the post Jakar Williams era and keep the aerial attack a threat for Coach Booher's team this year.  New DC in coach Mullen could add a little fire/spark for this year.  Big Match-up with Leo in week 4 looms early.

5/6.  Columbia City/Dekalb:  these spots could be interchangeable in my eyes.  Columbia City has been a team on the brink for more than a couple years now While Dekalb has been up and down but, I believe, they return the best QB in the NE8 in Tegan Irk.  Col City enters the post Gregory Bolt era, which has felt like 10 yrs, into a new running attack scheme resembling Coach Adamson's wing T attack at Eastbrook...makes sense since Coach Fox has history there.  Biggest question mark is how will the Eagles incorporate young stud receiver Statton Fuller in this run heavy scheme? Expect the Eagles to get better in their new run first schem scheme in its second year.  Dekalb's Irk will have able bodied WR Donnie Wiley to throw to along with Logan Motoya (50 ypg).  Mitch Snyder returns in the running game (60 ypg). The Barons return their top 3 scorers but graduated their top 3 tacklers.  Dekalb is a program to keep your eye on in a couple years with successful classes on the horizon....

7.  Huntington North: this is a program that HAS to get better isn't it?  New facilities on the way and a more than able leader in Coach Prescott the Vikings seem to have good numbers and size on their roster the last few years.  Losing top RB last year to Luers definately didn't get the season off to a good start.  They lose, well, they lost alot in their top 2 rushers and receivers and dual threat QB.  Could be another long season for the Vikings.

8. Belmont: Coach Hall begins his 3rd season at the helm for his alma mater Braves.  The Braves return top rusher Issaac Bodkins in their triple option attack. but graduated QB Ulman who ran the option.  They did steal a win from Dekalb last year and may steal another win this year from someone over looking them.  Nevertheless, I just can't see the Braves making too much noise if any this year.

5 hours ago, NE8_Fan said:

This year SHOULD be a 3 Horse race with defending champ Leo, Norwell and East Noble leading the pack. My thoughts are:

1/1A: Leo/Norwell:  I only say this because I believe defending champs have earned the right to be considered favorites until someone knocks them off there perch.  With that being said, that very well could come in week three for Leo.  Norwell UNDOUBTEDLY returns the most talent of all the NE8 teams this season.  Best lineman in conference (Bolyn), check....best RB in conference (Graft) check, best returning defensive unit (scoring), check.  BUT....Norwell's achilles heel in the past few years has been the Lions and they have had a VERY difficult time putting points on the board against Leo.  Will that change with a completely new staff and offensive/defensive system for the Lions? Lions lose possibly the MOST talent to graduation in Livingston (WVU), Allen (Rutgers), Sheron (Davidson) and Crawford (Illinois St).  They will need to replace their defensive line and 3/5 of their offensive line.  They do return , I believe, the #2 lineman in the conference in Colin Butler as well as Lb's Baker and Holcomb, DB/WR Zeisloft and, possibly their most important piece 2 way starter Ethan Crawford.  This guy, though,  is not sold on the Lions being successful in a spread offense right away. There may have been a reason the Lions ran a power running attack under Coach Sauder the last few years.  Who's their QB is a question that needs to be answered and answered quickly.  NE8 title implications get much clearer after week 3.

3. East Noble:  The Knights will ALWAYS be in the race for a conference title based on their coaching staff and consistent talent level coach Amstutz develops in Kendalville.  He is an offensive mastermind when it comes to finding holes in a defense and putting his offensive playmakers in a position to make plays.  This year he will need to find new playmakers for his 2nd year QB (Brazel) to get the ball to. The Knights lost a LOAD of offensive talent in Zolman, Munson, Carrico, Christian and bigs Hood and Charles.  Some new faces will need to grow up fast with back to back games against Leo and Norwell in weeks 5 & 6.  Expect East Noble to be very much in the conference race going into the week 6 matchup with Norwell.....

4. New Haven: The Bulldogs will, more often than not, have some of the most athletic teams in the conference still feeding off the closing of Harding and absorbing the majority of those kids.  They may also have the top overall player in the NE8 this year in Mylan Graham who has absolutely blown up on the recruiting trail this spring/summer.  Their most glaring weakness is their offensive and defensive lines.  If they EVER want to be a serious title contender these areas MUST get better for the Dawgs.  A new QB (NorthSide transfer) could help the post Jakar Williams era and keep the aerial attack a threat for Coach Booher's team this year.  New DC in coach Mullen could add a little fire/spark for this year.  Big Match-up with Leo in week 4 looms early.

5/6.  Columbia City/Dekalb:  these spots could be interchangeable in my eyes.  Columbia City has been a team on the brink for more than a couple years now While Dekalb has been up and down but, I believe, they return the best QB in the NE8 in Tegan Irk.  Col City enters the post Gregory Bolt era, which has felt like 10 yrs, into a new running attack scheme resembling Coach Adamson's wing T attack at Eastbrook...makes sense since Coach Fox has history there.  Biggest question mark is how will the Eagles incorporate young stud receiver Statton Fuller in this run heavy scheme? Expect the Eagles to get better in their new run first schem scheme in its second year.  Dekalb's Irk will have able bodied WR Donnie Wiley to throw to along with Logan Motoya (50 ypg).  Mitch Snyder returns in the running game (60 ypg). The Barons return their top 3 scorers but graduated their top 3 tacklers.  Dekalb is a program to keep your eye on in a couple years with successful classes on the horizon....

7.  Huntington North: this is a program that HAS to get better isn't it?  New facilities on the way and a more than able leader in Coach Prescott the Vikings seem to have good numbers and size on their roster the last few years.  Losing top RB last year to Luers definately didn't get the season off to a good start.  They lose, well, they lost alot in their top 2 rushers and receivers and dual threat QB.  Could be another long season for the Vikings.

8. Belmont: Coach Hall begins his 3rd season at the helm for his alma mater Braves.  The Braves return top rusher Issaac Bodkins in their triple option attack. but graduated QB Ulman who ran the option.  They did steal a win from Dekalb last year and may steal another win this year from someone over looking them.  Nevertheless, I just can't see the Braves making too much noise if any this year.

Great break down.  Leo has their hands full first 3 games.  New head coach could be feeling some pressure by the time Norwell comes to town week 3.  That being said Norwell returns 19 of 21 starters.  The expectation is NE8 champ.  BUT… will be a great season with bunch of great Conf games.  Preceded by trip to Ole Miss and followed by sectional featuring Delta… get through that and get treated to Chatard…. LETS PLAY 🏈 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 5:58 PM, Purdue Pete said:

Great break down.  Leo has their hands full first 3 games.  New head coach could be feeling some pressure by the time Norwell comes to town week 3.  That being said Norwell returns 20of 22 starters.  The expectation is NE8 champ.  BUT… will be a great season with bunch of great Conf games.  Preceded by trip to Ole Miss and followed by sectional featuring Delta… get through that and get treated to Chatard…. LETS PLAY 🏈 

20 of 22