Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Northern Indiana Conference Thread (NIC)

Northern Indiana Conference   Overall   Class
W-L Pct.   W-L Pct.   Sectional
Penn 4-1 0.800   6-6 0.500   6A 2 East-West
Mishawaka Marian 4-1 0.800   10-4 0.714   3A 26 East-West
Elkhart 3-2 0.600   5-5 0.500   6A 2 East-West
New Prairie 3-2 0.600   11-3 0.786   4A 18 East-West
South Bend Adams 1-4 0.200   4-7 0.364   5A 10 East-West
South Bend St. Joseph 0-5 0.000   4-8 0.333   4A 18 East-West
Jimtown 5-0 1.000   9-3 0.750   3A 26 North-South
Bremen 4-1 0.800   7-4 0.636   2A 34 North-South
John Glenn 2-2 0.500   5-5 0.500   3A 26 North-South
South Bend Riley 1-3 0.250   1-7 0.125   4A 18 North-South
South Bend Washington 1-3 0.250   3-5 0.375   3A 26 North-South
South Bend Clay 0-4 0.000   0-9 0.000   4A 18

North-South

New coaches all over in South Bend. Is the Penn dynasty over?  New leadership at Glenn, Elkhart and St Joe.  Change is all over.  Jimtown, Marian and New Prairie look solid again. 

I wouldn’t call it much of a dynasty. Since they’ve removed 3/4 South bend schools from their schedule they’ve been .500. Losing to a 5A, 2 win laporte team last year in overtime doesn’t scream dynasty. Quite possible they start the season 1-3. 

Marian lost a large talented senior class and had some turnover in the coaching ranks. Regular season could be a struggle for the knights, but that 3A sectional bracket shouldn’t worry Marian unless they lose some depth to injuries.

Adams quite possible will be running its 4th offense in 4 years and who ever they announce will have no success this year with a 2-3 week off season. I see Adams 1-8 regular season and that’s being generous. 

Elkhart- is still rebuilding. They get their RB from injury and could cause a few teams some fits. 

St. Joe- I don’t see too much on the D changing. Their offense will see some new wrinkles as they try to utilize their recent draft pick from Indy. 

Washington- Heard numbers are terrible. This is a make or break year for Stammich. He had a great first season with the 26 seniors he was left with, but has had little success in the win column since. Heard numbers are barely 30. Hope they add a 6th play to their predictable offense.

Bremen- will be a younger bunch, but let’s keep the excuses to a minimum. Many teams are young this season. 

South Bend Riley- South Side seems to have turned a few heads. Hearing good things from a few coaches outside the program. Time will tell. 

Clay- will leave it at that.

NP- brings back their skill positions but graduate some of their line. They’ll still be top 3 in the conference. 

Jimtown- solid team that will struggle in the post season.

What is the buzz, if any , at Glenn under new Coach John Barron, who had a great career at Plymouth until that program nosedived due to low numbers.  

Why did the program have low numbers? A great program with 1000 plus students doesn’t just nosedive. The conference got better. Warsaw is running on full cylinders under Curtis, Northwood has been consistent under Andrews, Northridge has been solid maybe they’ll find another transfer QB.Hopefully that didn’t carry over to Glenn. Seemed like they had some momentum last year. Heard some parents rumbling that they changed the offense…triple option? I-formation? Any news on the young QBs arm? Healthy? Glenn seemed primed to be at the top of their conference last year; Maybe this year? 

The #2 recruit in Indiana, Daeh McCullough, has transferred from Bloomington South to SB St Joe.  This is a huge pickup for the new staff.  McCullough is a future NFL DB and will play on both sides of the ball for SJ.  Should make the Big School Conference race more interesting.  

3 hours ago, DT said:

The #2 recruit in Indiana, Daeh McCullough, has transferred from Bloomington South to SB St Joe.  This is a huge pickup for the new staff.  McCullough is a future NFL DB and will play on both sides of the ball for SJ.  Should make the Big School Conference race more interesting.  

Yes, a nice addition for a new era.  Plus the numbers I have been told are up and the enthusiasm of the new staff has made their mark in the SK community.  Should be an interesting year.  Anxious to see one of the conditioning drills and check things out in person

On 7/5/2022 at 11:50 PM, Bucksweep22 said:

Why did the program have low numbers? A great program with 1000 plus students doesn’t just nosedive. The conference got better. Warsaw is running on full cylinders under Curtis, Northwood has been consistent under Andrews, Northridge has been solid maybe they’ll find another transfer QB.Hopefully that didn’t carry over to Glenn. Seemed like they had some momentum last year. Heard some parents rumbling that they changed the offense…triple option? I-formation? Any news on the young QBs arm? Healthy? Glenn seemed primed to be at the top of their conference last year; Maybe this year? 

WING T

• Kill me now 1

On 7/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, Bucksweep22 said:

I wouldn’t call it much of a dynasty. Since they’ve removed 3/4 South bend schools from their schedule they’ve been .500. Losing to a 5A, 2 win laporte team last year in overtime doesn’t scream dynasty. Quite possible they start the season 1-3. 

Marian lost a large talented senior class and had some turnover in the coaching ranks. Regular season could be a struggle for the knights, but that 3A sectional bracket shouldn’t worry Marian unless they lose some depth to injuries.

Adams quite possible will be running its 4th offense in 4 years and who ever they announce will have no success this year with a 2-3 week off season. I see Adams 1-8 regular season and that’s being generous. 

Elkhart- is still rebuilding. They get their RB from injury and could cause a few teams some fits. 

St. Joe- I don’t see too much on the D changing. Their offense will see some new wrinkles as they try to utilize their recent draft pick from Indy. 

Washington- Heard numbers are terrible. This is a make or break year for Stammich. He had a great first season with the 26 seniors he was left with, but has had little success in the win column since. Heard numbers are barely 30. Hope they add a 6th play to their predictable offense.

Bremen- will be a younger bunch, but let’s keep the excuses to a minimum. Many teams are young this season. 

South Bend Riley- South Side seems to have turned a few heads. Hearing good things from a few coaches outside the program. Time will tell. 

Clay- will leave it at that.

NP- brings back their skill positions but graduate some of their line. They’ll still be top 3 in the conference. 

Jimtown- solid team that will struggle in the post season.

So you gave a quick breakdown on each, but where do you see each side of division finishing this coming year?

And other then the new SJ kid, who is some names to know on each side? 

On 7/5/2022 at 11:50 PM, Bucksweep22 said:

Supposedly a lot had to do with construction at Plymouth, along with the administrative changes that occurred in recent years? I cannot remember the specifics, but with recent updates to their campus, it caused football practices to be moved to the middle school or something along with other issues. Then the new AD supposedly had a number of differences with many of the coaches which led to high turnover at the head coach level across all Plymouth athletics. I believe there was a fairly public disagreement between the AD and the previous basketball coach. There should be more commentary in old threads here on the GID.

To the second bolded point, when Plymouth played Warsaw last year in Week 3 - it was the Rockies third different offense in as many weeks. Not sure what was happening on that side of the ball, but it was strange to find that out. Granted - they had next to zero options on that side of the football besides Devante Garcia. Felt bad for that kid last year. He was truly the only player from the opposite sideline that stood out.

SOUTH BEND — Former South Bend Adams quarterback Frank Karczewski will be named the Eagles' new football coach, according to sources close to the situation.

The decision is pending South Bend Community School Corp. board of trustee approval. The matter is expected to included on the July 18 meeting agenda.

Frank Karczewski is expected to be named the new South Bend Adams football head coach

Karczewski, a 2013 Adams graduate, was an All-Northern Indiana Conference quarterback in 2012. He was an assistant coach at powerhouse Indianapolis Cathedral last season.

13 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Bremen is in rebuild mode. The lost a lot of offensive and defensive line as well as having to replace the quarterback. They have some talent at the skill positions but need to find some beef. 

Even in a rebuild year, you have to think in conference play only Jimtown should beat you guys at this point. The SB schools are in real struggle mode at this time, and a lot of mixed reviews coming out of Walkerton.

27 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Even in a rebuild year, you have to think in conference play only Jimtown should beat you guys at this point. The SB schools are in real struggle mode at this time, and a lot of mixed reviews coming out of Walkerton.

Is there some pushback at Glenn?

12 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

That’s some rumors coming from that area or I should say things coming from players and families Facebook posts. 

Not surprising.  Barron is a tough coach and those kids are not used to that approach.  We are in the era of the "Bro Coach."  Tough guys like Barron are dinosaurs and are rapidly becoming extinct, unfortunately.  Those kids would much rather be fishing and water skiing on Koontz Lake than lifting and doing speed drills in the Walkerton heat. 

Edited by DT

3 minutes ago, DT said:

Not surprising.  Barron is a tough coach and those kids are not used to that approach.  We are in the era of the "Bro Coach."  Tough guys like Barron are dinosaurs and are rapidly becoming extinct, unfortunately.  Those kids would much rather be fishing and water skiing on Koontz Lake than lifting and doing speed drills in the Walkerton heat. 

You could very likely be correct. Winners figure it out, so if he’s that guy it will all equal out and results will come. I believe they finished 3rd in conference last year, you have to think that’s the floor for them this year.

8 minutes ago, DT said:

The era of the Woody Hayes style coach are over, DT. This same problem is why I heard Radke has disappointed in Knox. Kids just don't respond to that coaching style anymore. There's a reason why many programs have hired younger guys who can relate to kids more, and why these younger guys have been having increasing success. The 'bro coach' is here to stay, at least for now, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. 

9 minutes ago, DT said:

If you haven’t stepped foot in a wrestling room then you’ve missed the definition of “Tough”. The birds migrating Northwest are chirping that kids are having trouble making the 7am practice. So, in that aspect dinosaurs have been extinct. Prob why participation has been low this summer and or the wing T.

8 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

The era of the Woody Hayes style coach are over, DT. This same problem is why I heard Radke has disappointed in Knox. Kids just don't respond to that coaching style anymore. There's a reason why many programs have hired younger guys who can relate to kids more, and why these younger guys have been having increasing success. The 'bro coach' is here to stay, at least for now, and I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. 

Couldnt agree more with everything you said.  Im older than black dirt so I still have an affinity for the old guys who are still hanging around the game.  Im extremely impressed with the vast majority of young coaches working the sidelines today.  Some are still a bit immature with the flying player-coach chest bumps and all that craziness, but they will grow out of that.  Many of us who played in the 70s and 80s grew up during the period of negative coaching reinforcement.  You are right in that kids don't respond to that today.  They just seem to shake it off very nonchalantly.  

Edited by DT

On 7/10/2022 at 4:52 PM, SBFootballFan6 said:

So you gave a quick breakdown on each, but where do you see each side of division finishing this coming year?

And other then the new SJ kid, who is some names to know on each side? 

North

Penn/NP, Elkhart, St Joe, Marian and Adams.

South 

Jimtown, Riley, Bremen, Glenn, Clay. Toss up between Glenn/Bremen. If Marshall County is already saying it’s a rebuilding year. Then I don’t expect much out of them. Even though your always rebuilding…..

I’m hearing ND strength coaches kid is looking good for the Kingsman at RB.

Marians QB Bryce Lasane could have a solid year if they can find some weapons for him. Most of their skill kids graduated. 

Sharp from Elkhart could have a good year if he’s ready to go. 

St Joes-QB Alex Ortiz if he can spread it around and not lock in to his 4-Star gift. 

Adams- I can’t think of anyone. 
Washington- The Mascot.

Clay- The School Board

Jimtown- RB Garner

Riley- last year was the kicker…Let’s see who the surprise is this season

Bremen-Marshall County any help?

Glenn- any upcoming freshmen? Hannah playing?

1 hour ago, DT said:

Couldnt agree more with everything you said.  Im older than black dirt so I still have an affinity for the old guys who are still hanging around the game.  Im extremely impressed with the vast majority of young coaches working the sidelines today.  Some are still a bit immature with the flying player-coach chest bumps and all that craziness, but they will grow out of that.  Many of us who played in the 70s and 80s grew up during the period of negative coaching reinforcement.  You are right in that kids don't respond to that today.  They just seem to shake it off very nonchalantly.  

I understand what you mean. I played for Mason, who is one of the last coaches like that left. That style has its positives and negatives. I think its prepared me well for the real world and work, people not holding your hand and purely expecting results, and football is supposed to teach life lessons like that. But towards the end, and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Mason by this, I think some of us had tuned him out a bit. I think he even tacitly acknowledged that when he left Andrean. If every reaction is as if the house is burning down, you eventually become numb to the house burning down. And not to get too philosophical, but I think a lot of young men in our society today need a big brother/father figure type who can give them guidance more than a disciplinarian who's gonna yell at them every time they slip up. I guess we'll have to wait and see which coaching style is better for players in the long run. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

North

Penn/NP, Elkhart, St Joe, Marian and Adams.

South 

Jimtown, Riley, Bremen, Glenn, Clay. Toss up between Glenn/Bremen. If Marshall County is already saying it’s a rebuilding year. Then I don’t expect much out of them. Even though your always rebuilding…..

I’m hearing ND strength coaches kid is looking good for the Kingsman at RB.

Marians QB Bryce Lasane could have a solid year if they can find some weapons for him. Most of their skill kids graduated. 

Sharp from Elkhart could have a good year if he’s ready to go. 

St Joes-QB Alex Ortiz if he can spread it around and not lock in to his 4-Star gift. 

Adams- I can’t think of anyone. 
Washington- The Mascot.

Clay- The School Board

Jimtown- RB Garner

Riley- last year was the kicker…Let’s see who the surprise is this season

Bremen-Marshall County any help?

Glenn- any upcoming freshmen? Hannah playing?

For Bremen junior Reece Green should be QB. Tyrus Graverson showed some spark as a freshman at wide reciever. Lance Moser had a solid year at running back as a sophomore, but has to run behind a rebuilding offensive line. Eason Reed is a beef steak wt 6’0 309 lbs.  

11 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

and a lot of mixed reviews coming out of Walkerton.

That explains a lot about why JG has in my eyes; always underperformed going back to the NSC days. I've always thought Glenn had the community support and athletes to put together a Bremenish type program if they want it. But as each passing season goes by it's more apparent that it's a culture issue in Walkerton preventing it from having a solid program competing for championships. Fortunately or Unfortunately for a small town rural school like Glenn to burst onto the football scene it will take a military/discipline focused coach plus player buy in to right the ship. So be it, they have solid baseball and basketball programs, maybe JG just isn't capable of being a football school?