Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Northern Indiana Conference Thread (NIC)

33 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

That explains a lot about why JG has in my eyes; always underperformed going back to the NSC days. I've always thought Glenn had the community support and athletes to put together a Bremenish type program if they want it. But as each passing season goes by it's more apparent that it's a culture issue in Walkerton preventing it from having a solid program competing for championships. Fortunately or Unfortunately for a small town rural school like Glenn to burst onto the football scene it will take a military/discipline focused coach plus player buy in to right the ship. So be it, they have solid baseball and basketball programs, maybe JG just isn't capable of being a football school?

Should they consider contraction?  They are not obligated to offer football on the athletic menu.  There are plenty of schools the same size as Glenn throughout Indiana who dont play football.  

12 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

That explains a lot about why JG has in my eyes; always underperformed going back to the NSC days. I've always thought Glenn had the community support and athletes to put together a Bremenish type program if they want it. But as each passing season goes by it's more apparent that it's a culture issue in Walkerton preventing it from having a solid program competing for championships. Fortunately or Unfortunately for a small town rural school like Glenn to burst onto the football scene it will take a military/discipline focused coach plus player buy in to right the ship. So be it, they have solid baseball and basketball programs, maybe JG just isn't capable of being a football school?

They havent been on anyones radar since the early 2000's  when they put some hardware in the trophy case.   Several coaches since then.... not sure how the Barron era will turn out......

14 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

Culture begins with a supportive administration…

23 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

North

Penn/NP, Elkhart, St Joe, Marian and Adams.

South 

Jimtown, Riley, Bremen, Glenn, Clay. Toss up between Glenn/Bremen. If Marshall County is already saying it’s a rebuilding year. Then I don’t expect much out of them. Even though your always rebuilding…..

I’m hearing ND strength coaches kid is looking good for the Kingsman at RB.

Marians QB Bryce Lasane could have a solid year if they can find some weapons for him. Most of their skill kids graduated. 

Sharp from Elkhart could have a good year if he’s ready to go. 

St Joes-QB Alex Ortiz if he can spread it around and not lock in to his 4-Star gift. 

Adams- I can’t think of anyone. 
Washington- The Mascot.

Clay- The School Board

Jimtown- RB Garner

Riley- last year was the kicker…Let’s see who the surprise is this season

Bremen-Marshall County any help?

Glenn- any upcoming freshmen? Hannah playing?

Im not sure where you get Elkhart being in a rebuild?  They have a new HC so maybe a bit there, but this years team is beyond loaded and will likely be better and more talented than the 2020 team. They have 21 kids back who started at least 3 games last year.

The Top OL in the conference in 6a Jr All State returner Jellison (FCS offers).

The Top 2 Wrs in the conference and possibly the best pair in the Northern part of the state in Gates (All NIC as JR and D1 interest) and Echols who had 13 for 277 in only 2 games (against NP and Marian who were pretty good last year)

They have arguably the best QB in the conf in Krueper (big, smart, cannon arm, D2/FCS interest) who threw for 1300 from his back last year with mainly backups at skill positions.

At RB they have a kid who had 400 total yards in just 6 HALFS of football (Houser MAC/D1 interest) and kid who ran for 1000 yards (Leonard).

Newcomers are the younger brother (Teion) of Tyron Mason who is at Western and  a TE who runs on their 4x100 relay and is a legit 4.6 kid.

They have 5 other returning OL who started games last year.

Oh...and then the have Javien Sharp who likely would be talked about as one of the best players in the state had he not missed last season.  If he returns to form the offense will put up video game numbers, could do so even without him.

They are putting in a new offense and have a new HC so its not like they wont be without challenge, but they should be clearly favored in all of their games.

Penn will have top 5 6a defense as their front 7 is back, boosted by the Jones kid, and was very good last year.  They however return nothing on offense to speak of and they havent had a good offense in 5 years.

New Prairie will be really good and could possibly upset one of the top 2.  QB is great athlete and RB was all conf last year.  Front 7 on defense is back and will be strength of that team.

St Joe:  Mccullough will get them some wins.  4th place will come down to the Holy War game.

Marian: lost a ton for second year in a row.  QB Lasane is very good but wont have the weapons.  Will get better as season goes on and should be favored in 23 season

Adams: lost coach and top player.  Going to be tough road for them.  What should be SB's best team is in for a massive rebuild.

8 hours ago, Johnsnow said:

Im not sure where you get Elkhart being in a rebuild?  They have a new HC so maybe a bit there, but this years team is beyond loaded and will likely be better and more talented than the 2020 team. They have 21 kids back who started at least 3 games last year.

The Top OL in the conference in 6a Jr All State returner Jellison (FCS offers).

The Top 2 Wrs in the conference and possibly the best pair in the Northern part of the state in Gates (All NIC as JR and D1 interest) and Echols who had 13 for 277 in only 2 games (against NP and Marian who were pretty good last year)

They have arguably the best QB in the conf in Krueper (big, smart, cannon arm, D2/FCS interest) who threw for 1300 from his back last year with mainly backups at skill positions.

At RB they have a kid who had 400 total yards in just 6 HALFS of football (Houser MAC/D1 interest) and kid who ran for 1000 yards (Leonard).

Newcomers are the younger brother (Teion) of Tyron Mason who is at Western and  a TE who runs on their 4x100 relay and is a legit 4.6 kid.

They have 5 other returning OL who started games last year.

Oh...and then the have Javien Sharp who likely would be talked about as one of the best players in the state had he not missed last season.  If he returns to form the offense will put up video game numbers, could do so even without him.

They are putting in a new offense and have a new HC so its not like they wont be without challenge, but they should be clearly favored in all of their games.

Penn will have top 5 6a defense as their front 7 is back, boosted by the Jones kid, and was very good last year.  They however return nothing on offense to speak of and they havent had a good offense in 5 years.

New Prairie will be really good and could possibly upset one of the top 2.  QB is great athlete and RB was all conf last year.  Front 7 on defense is back and will be strength of that team.

St Joe:  Mccullough will get them some wins.  4th place will come down to the Holy War game.

Marian: lost a ton for second year in a row.  QB Lasane is very good but wont have the weapons.  Will get better as season goes on and should be favored in 23 season

Adams: lost coach and top player.  Going to be tough road for them.  What should be SB's best team is in for a massive rebuild.

Ooo, I must of struck a nerve. I said what I said…with 3200 students if you can’t find potential talent roaming the halls. Then you didn’t look hard enough. I wasn’t impressed with the 2020 team. Sure they had some talent and this years might have some kids that are getting looks. But, the 2020 played 4 teams that ended with winning records and played Washington 650 students?St Joe and Adams….they beat Penn by 1, Mishawaka by 7, Chesterton by 4 and when it counts loss to Merrillville. Elkhart could slide out of sectionals but we all know what happens to the North once it goes South of Kokomo. Let’s not forget kids we’re trying to jump ship several weeks ago….glad they kept the DC on board. 

15 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

Ooo, I must of struck a nerve. I said what I said…with 3200 students if you can’t find potential talent roaming the halls. Then you didn’t look hard enough. I wasn’t impressed with the 2020 team. Sure they had some talent and this years might have some kids that are getting looks. But, the 2020 played 4 teams that ended with winning records and played Washington 650 students?St Joe and Adams….they beat Penn by 1, Mishawaka by 7, Chesterton by 4 and when it counts loss to Merrillville. Elkhart could slide out of sectionals but we all know what happens to the North once it goes South of Kokomo. Let’s not forget kids we’re trying to jump ship several weeks ago….glad they kept the DC on board. 

No nerve, just different perspective.  My comments are all in relation to their schedule and the NIC.  Keeping DC (and other staff) avoided a complete meltdown and the program is no where near where it should be based on district admins lack of commitment to sports in general.  They easily play the softest schedule in 6a and it isn't close, and while they should win their first 11-12 games Im not saying they will.  They could go 11-0 with 7-8 running clock games and have the same done to them once they go South of Kokomo.  Long ways resource wise and program wise from where Indy area teams are.

51 minutes ago, Johnsnow said:

They easily play the softest schedule in 6a and it isn't close

Actually, according to Sagarin last year there were 5 teams in 6A with easier schedules: Carroll, Homestead, Lafayette Jeff, Warsaw, and Indpls. Tech.

32 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Actually, according to Sagarin last year there were 5 teams in 6A with easier schedules: Carroll, Homestead, Lafayette Jeff, Warsaw, and Indpls. Tech.

FWIW - those Sagarin ratings hate the SAC due to intraconference play only. I have a hard time believing Carroll/Homestead schedule of playing each other, Snider, Dwenger, and Luers was easier than Elkhart's schedule last year.

28 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

FWIW - those Sagarin ratings hate the SAC due to intraconference play only. I have a hard time believing Carroll/Homestead schedule of playing each other, Snider, Dwenger, and Luers was easier than Elkhart's schedule last year.

Gotta remember that once the playoffs come the Sagarin Ratings adjust the closed conferences as they play teams from around the state. I think it's no secret that the need to get better scheduling for the larger schools was a primary reason why the SAC made the move to go away from the round robin.

my NIC big school predictions:

1-3 Penn, NP, Elkhart. - throw them in a hat and pick them out in any order, I don't think too many plays are going to separate these 3. NP pound for pound will be the best in the conference but I'm not too sure they have enough to pick off both Penn and Elkhart in the same season. Penn will be it's usual self the last 4 years; do just enough to share a conference title while getting beat up by like-sized schools. I could see Elkhart running the table if they have the athletes that people say they do, but they aren't going to be my favorite until they prove it on the gridiron consistently. 

4 - Marian - They have lost a lot the last 2 years and seem destined to take a step back as St. Joe appears to take a step forward. I could see Marian surprising a few people this year and pick off one of Elkhart, NP, or Penn. Don't think they have the jimmy and joes this year to contend for the NIC. They have a culture set up nicely for post-season success at this point.

5 - St. Joe - They have to be better than what they have been the last 5 years right? Don't think they will end up at the top of the conference just yet but it was a big off season for the Indians. Look for them to be way more competitive week in and week out.

6 - Adams - I don't think Adams will necessarily have a bad team but they just seem to come up short of expectations year in and year out. Realistically Adams has maybe 2 opportunities for wins this conference season. 

3 hours ago, scarab527 said:

Gotta remember that once the playoffs come the Sagarin Ratings adjust the closed conferences as they play teams from around the state. I think it's no secret that the need to get better scheduling for the larger schools was a primary reason why the SAC made the move to go away from the round robin.

True - but not very well for the SAC because many of their schools end up playing only SAC teams in the post season. Here are the only non-SAC schools each team played last year.

Carroll: Warsaw and Westfield
Concordia: Northwestern and Norwell
Dwenger: Zionsville
Homestead: N/A
Luers: Fairfield, Prairie Heights, and Eastside
North: N/A
Northrop: N/A
Snider: N/A
Wayne: Marion, Delta, and Mississinewa

Arguably 3 of the top 5 teams from the SAC (Dwenger, Homestead, and Snider) played exactly 1 non-SAC member last year. That certainly did not help their Sagarin Ratings whatsoever. Yes they still adjusted some, but not much.

However, I stand corrected. After doing my own research, Homestead's opponents went 38-41 last season, while Elkhart's went 44-33. Both teams ended with similar regular season records (6-3 and 5-4 respectively). Granted - the SAC schools will always have their opponents finish +/- their win-loss differential from .500 

I still find it hard to argue that New Prairie, Marian, Concord, Penn and Mishawaka were tougher opponents than Carroll, Snider, Dwenger and Luers, but I digress. I'm simply arguing with myself at this point.

(and sorry for bring SAC stuff to the NIC thread)

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

15 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

True - but not very well for the SAC because many of their schools end up playing only SAC teams in the post season. Here are the only non-SAC schools each team played last year.

Carroll: Warsaw and Westfield
Concordia: Northwestern and Norwell
Dwenger: Zionsville
Homestead: N/A
Luers: Fairfield, Prairie Heights, and Eastside
North: N/A
Northrop: N/A
Snider: N/A
Wayne: Marion, Delta, and Mississinewa

Arguably 3 of the top 5 teams from the SAC (Dwenger, Homestead, and Snider) played exactly 1 non-SAC member last year. That certainly did not help their Sagarin Ratings whatsoever. Yes they still adjusted some, but not much.

However, I stand corrected. After doing my own research, Homestead's opponents went 38-41 last season, while Elkhart's went 44-33. Both teams ended with similar regular season records (6-3 and 5-4 respectively). Granted - the SAC schools will always have their opponents finish +/- their win-loss differential from .500 

I still find it hard to argue that New Prairie, Marian, Concord, Penn and Mishawaka were tougher opponents than Carroll, Snider, Dwenger and Luers, but I digress. I'm simply arguing with myself at this point.

(and sorry for bring SAC stuff to the NIC thread)

But keep in mind that the Sagarin Ratings are going to factor in all the non-SAC teams that those non-SAC teams played as well. That's why we see such a correction in the ratings after 1 week of playoffs. Just by playing one game against a non-SAC opponent, the Sagarin Ratings can factor all the teams that non-SAC team played, and all the teams that team's opponents played, into the rankings for the SAC. So 11 non-SAC opponents basically means the Sagarin Ratings can give a pretty accurate view of how the SAC was in comparison to the rest of the state. 

On 7/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Frank Karczewski will have to start his head coaching career delayed.  The SBCSC school board won't meet until August 1.

Wow, this puts Adams way behind in everything.  First game 3 weeks after "officially" becoming the head coach.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:00 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Frank Karczewski will have to start his head coaching career delayed.  The SBCSC school board won't meet until August 1.

This is misleading. While Karczewski still has to be formally approved by the board, he has been working with the team since it returned from moratorium on July 11. While still behind almost all programs, it's not the drastic circumstance people are being led to believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gridwatcher said:

This is misleading. While Karczewski still has to be formally approved by the board, he has been working with the team since it returned from moratorium on July 11. While still behind almost all programs, it's not the drastic circumstance people are being led to believe.

Sounds like a lot of excitement over on East Side. He’s brought back ex teammates to help him and it’s looking like the Eagles maybe the team of the city this year and going forward. 

18 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Sounds like a lot of excitement over on East Side. He’s brought back ex teammates to help him and it’s looking like the Eagles maybe the team of the city this year and going forward. 

Let’s slow your roll….Adams in all honesty should be the team of “the city” every year no matter whose coaching. They nearly double the enrollment of any other two schools combined. Clay can barely field a team, Washington runs a pop Warner offense and Riley the last 2 years have been non-existent. But, let’s be real. Adams returns no starters on the offensive line….they’ve run 3 different offenses the past 3 seasons….one of the coaches who was at Riley the last two season is now at adams in the same role. The new head coach though I wish him all the success… has he called an offense or defense? Any of his friends have they ever coached or run a drill other then on Madden skill builder? The only excitement I’ve seen has been from the Tribune. 

21 hours ago, Gridwatcher said:

No not that drastic at all…numbers are down and having to install a new offense in 3 weeks. Should be fairly simple with all the experienced coaches he’s bringing in, the few young coaches that remained and a few old timers whose technique teaching has been outdated since leather helmets 

3 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

Let’s slow your roll….Adams in all honesty should be the team of “the city” every year no matter whose coaching. They nearly double the enrollment of any other two schools combined. Clay can barely field a team, Washington runs a pop Warner offense and Riley the last 2 years have been non-existent. But, let’s be real. Adams returns no starters on the offensive line….they’ve run 3 different offenses the past 3 seasons….one of the coaches who was at Riley the last two season is now at adams in the same role. The new head coach though I wish him all the success… has he called an offense or defense? Any of his friends have they ever coached or run a drill other then on Madden skill builder? The only excitement I’ve seen has been from the Tribune. 

Someone is sounding a little jealous of the paper giving some positive stories on the Eagles. Don’t be mad that they brought in a young, winner to lead the team on the East Side. Maybe this shows what can happen at the other schools if they bring home a winner, and he reaches out and brings back other players who have a history with the program. Now have to agree it’s TBD on what results can be, but if you go off newspaper articles someone thinks it’s going to go well. 

32 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Someone is sounding a little jealous of the paper giving some positive stories on the Eagles. Don’t be mad that they brought in a young, winner to lead the team on the East Side. Maybe this shows what can happen at the other schools if they bring home a winner, and he reaches out and brings back other players who have a history with the program. Now have to agree it’s TBD on what results can be, but if you go off newspaper articles someone thinks it’s going to go well. 

No one’s jealous of anyone, lol. TBD is agreed on. But, to jump to the conclusion that he’s come from a power house program coaching TEs? That he will miraculously turn the program around is laughable. Fairly easy to coach when you have kids coming up through a legit program top to bottom (youth league) and have legit talent on both sides of the ball.  I see the eagles 1-9..2-8…and it won’t be much better next year…IMO…Have you seen the south bend youth league? Most kids flee to granger rocket and end up going to other area schools.