Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 Northern Indiana Conference Thread (NIC)

1 hour ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Someone is sounding a little jealous of the paper giving some positive stories on the Eagles. Don’t be mad that they brought in a young, winner to lead the team on the East Side. Maybe this shows what can happen at the other schools if they bring home a winner, and he reaches out and brings back other players who have a history with the program. Now have to agree it’s TBD on what results can be, but if you go off newspaper articles someone thinks it’s going to go well. 

So let’s take a quick gander….Eagles open up with Northridge…that’s an L….Then they face a Fairfield team who was young last year and gave the eagles a scare, that’s an L this year….Then they square off with cross town rival Riley who also has a new staff. The Eagles SHOULD beat them right? Powerhouse coach and 2000 kids to choose from….I’ll leave that as a W…St. Joe is an L. New prairie ? Elkhart? Penn? And Jimtown? Chances of keeping most of their Jefferson students are slim…

Edited by Bucksweep22

56 minutes ago, Football Guru 25 said:

When will we see the changes Coach Barron has done at John Glenn??  Or will there be any??  

34 minutes ago, Football Guru 25 said:

I'm confused a bit!! LOL

Ha, won’t be any news. That’s why I sent you to the baseball and basketball forum

2 hours ago, Football Guru 25 said:

LOL!! I wonder if any of his Plymouth staff went with him and who stayed on staff that was already at Glenn....

Obviously, the head coach. The offensive coordinator. Not sure if he pulled his two boys. Maybe someone else can answer that. If so, Glenn’s going to hurt at QB. Believe the secondary coach followed the OC don’t know his name and don’t know where though. Not too sure. If you look at some of their Twitter looks like everyone is the same from last years team pic besides one guy. 

9 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

So let’s take a quick gander….Eagles open up with Northridge…that’s an L….Then they face a Fairfield team who was young last year and gave the eagles a scare, that’s an L this year….Then they square off with cross town rival Riley who also has a new staff. The Eagles SHOULD beat them right? Powerhouse coach and 2000 kids to choose from….I’ll leave that as a W…St. Joe is an L. New prairie ? Elkhart? Penn? And Jimtown? Chances of keeping most of their Jefferson students are slim…

Yes it is for sure a tough schedule for them. It’s part of why there hasn’t been consistent winning in SB when playing those teams on that side of bracket. Maybe I’m getting caught up in reading newspaper headlines and not seeing the reality of what’s really going on over there. It does appear with a deeper dive it may not be such a rosey start over there as the multiple newspaper stories make you seem. Honeymoon maybe over before the wedding gets started, but we shall see soon enough. Have to compete week one, and win next 3. We can check back going into week 4. 

12 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

The digest lists:

OC  Damon Graves

DE   Tom Bendy

David Lichtenberger, Any King, Kevin Smigielski, Damen Jackson, Tom Isenbarger

Looking through maxpreps and last years digest. Looks like Two Glenn coaches left for Riley. Wonder what happened there? Something the rest of us don’t know about Riley? Seems odd leaving a 5-5 Glenn that appeared to be on the right path for a struggling program. 
The OC Damon is he the same guy that was Head Coach nearly a decade ago? When’s the last time he’s called an offense? Has he been coaching somewhere else? Not finding him anywhere in the north’s rosters. Is this why they resurrected the wing T? 

8 hours ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

Yes it is for sure a tough schedule for them. It’s part of why there hasn’t been consistent winning in SB when playing those teams on that side of bracket. Maybe I’m getting caught up in reading newspaper headlines and not seeing the reality of what’s really going on over there. It does appear with a deeper dive it may not be such a rosey start over there as the multiple newspaper stories make you seem. Honeymoon maybe over before the wedding gets started, but we shall see soon enough. Have to compete week one, and win next 3. We can check back going into week 4. 

It’s definitely going to be tough. Teaching a new line blocking schemes in a short amount of time is going to prove difficult and for them to get fluid at it by week 3 of august; won’t happen. Who have they scrimmaged? Going live against your scout D with more then likely lesser players with numbers being down won’t give you an accurate look. They’ll end up celebrating moving the ball mon-Thursday and on Friday be hit with the reality. The QB seems skiddish and appears to have difficulty connecting on the simplest of routes (last year). Good teams will bring pressure and rattle the Eagles QB. If they attempt to go spread they will struggle. The quick game is their only hope to move the ball with an inexperienced offense line. Seeing some highlights from this summers 7 on 7 team.  Looked like he struggled to throw the deep ball with no D-line coming at him as well. We saw how New Prairie’s line struggled early going from Radkes offense to the spread and new prairie had guys. Adams just won’t be there the next few years unless there is an off year for teams on their schedules. That just doesn’t seem likely to happen. 

On 7/12/2022 at 9:16 AM, SBFootballFan6 said:

Even in a rebuild year, you have to think in conference play only Jimtown should beat you guys at this point. The SB schools are in real struggle mode at this time, and a lot of mixed reviews coming out of Walkerton.

I don't know about that. Glenn's defense still have a few pieces and should be solid. Their offense needs to find its identity. It lost 90 percent of it's offense last year. There's 2 kids left that had a TD a piece. QB hasn't played a snap under center since 2020 and their FB/MLB spent 7 weeks on the sideline. Might be ugly but Glenn should have the advantage with the 2-3 skill kids they have left.

2 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

Looking through maxpreps and last years digest. Looks like Two Glenn coaches left for Riley. Wonder what happened there? Something the rest of us don’t know about Riley? Seems odd leaving a 5-5 Glenn that appeared to be on the right path for a struggling program. 
The OC Damon is he the same guy that was Head Coach nearly a decade ago? When’s the last time he’s called an offense? Has he been coaching somewhere else? Not finding him anywhere in the north’s rosters. Is this why they resurrected the wing T? 

That would be correct OC John Jolley and Secondary/WR Coach Jose Capeles are now at Riley. Jolley in the same roll and Jose Capeles as Defensive Coordinator.

On 7/3/2022 at 12:49 AM, DT said:
Northern Indiana Conference   Overall   Class
W-L Pct.   W-L Pct.   Sectional
Penn 4-1 0.800   6-6 0.500   6A 2 East-West
Mishawaka Marian 4-1 0.800   10-4 0.714   3A 26 East-West
Elkhart 3-2 0.600   5-5 0.500   6A 2 East-West
New Prairie 3-2 0.600   11-3 0.786   4A 18 East-West
South Bend Adams 1-4 0.200   4-7 0.364   5A 10 East-West
South Bend St. Joseph 0-5 0.000   4-8 0.333   4A 18 East-West
Jimtown 5-0 1.000   9-3 0.750   3A 26 North-South
Bremen 4-1 0.800   7-4 0.636   2A 34 North-South
John Glenn 2-2 0.500   5-5 0.500   3A 26 North-South
South Bend Riley 1-3 0.250   1-7 0.125   4A 18 North-South
South Bend Washington 1-3 0.250   3-5 0.375   3A 26 North-South
South Bend Clay 0-4 0.000   0-9 0.000   4A 18

North-South

New coaches all over in South Bend. Is the Penn dynasty over?  New leadership at Glenn, Elkhart and St Joe.  Change is all over.  Jimtown, Marian and New Prairie look solid again. 

North Division

Penn- I can't see Penn doing well in their non-conference schedule. Penn's defense has to step up and save them against New Prairie and Elkhart this season. I still have them at #1

New Prairie-  I see Penn/NP within one score. They'll be solid

Elkhart- this is a question mark. Last year it was 20? kids out. Can they keep kids healthy enough to compete.

St. Joe- I think St. Joe surprises a few teams. Defensively they'll keep themselves in a few games. I don't think their offense is there yet. They'll have to play mistake free football. They'll win the ones they should with ease.

Marian- Can they recover from losing Atkinson on both sides of the ball and special teams? Their RB was solid and MLB will be hard to replace. This year I don't see them competing in their conference.

Adams- not even Redman could save them at this point

South Division

Jimtown- Jimmie's lose their QB and Johntu. Two solid players but I believe 24 was the better back. He looked better in the sectional game against Marian. Johntu struggled and I believe he was their lone TD against Marians JV during garbage time. Jimtown should be top dawgs of the conference.

Glenn - I'll slide Glenn to #2. Defense will still be solid. loosing Creed will hurt the Falcons a bit. Falloween is always a big hit.

Riley - I'll slide Riley to #3. Talks on the SE side is Riley's numbers are sound with the excitement the new staff has generated. Quite possibly the only SB school with a true JV team.

Bremen- Nothing special offensively. They'll find it hard to score this season.

Washington- Pushing Coach Johnson out who's now coaching at the college level has proven to be costly.  Kids within the program don't seem too excited. Could benefit Washington to consolidate Clay.

Clay - seems like Clay lacks solid assistant coaches who stick around long enough to develop relationships with kids. Clay will continue to struggle.

2 hours ago, TurfToe20 said:

North Division

Penn- I can't see Penn doing well in their non-conference schedule. Penn's defense has to step up and save them against New Prairie and Elkhart this season. I still have them at #1

New Prairie-  I see Penn/NP within one score. They'll be solid

Elkhart- this is a question mark. Last year it was 20? kids out. Can they keep kids healthy enough to compete.

St. Joe- I think St. Joe surprises a few teams. Defensively they'll keep themselves in a few games. I don't think their offense is there yet. They'll have to play mistake free football. They'll win the ones they should with ease.

Marian- Can they recover from losing Atkinson on both sides of the ball and special teams? Their RB was solid and MLB will be hard to replace. This year I don't see them competing in their conference.

Adams- not even Redman could save them at this point

South Division

Jimtown- Jimmie's lose their QB and Johntu. Two solid players but I believe 24 was the better back. He looked better in the sectional game against Marian. Johntu struggled and I believe he was their lone TD against Marians JV during garbage time. Jimtown should be top dawgs of the conference.

Glenn - I'll slide Glenn to #2. Defense will still be solid. loosing Creed will hurt the Falcons a bit. Falloween is always a big hit.

Riley - I'll slide Riley to #3. Talks on the SE side is Riley's numbers are sound with the excitement the new staff has generated. Quite possibly the only SB school with a true JV team.

Bremen- Nothing special offensively. They'll find it hard to score this season.

Washington- Pushing Coach Johnson out who's now coaching at the college level has proven to be costly.  Kids within the program don't seem too excited. Could benefit Washington to consolidate Clay.

Clay - seems like Clay lacks solid assistant coaches who stick around long enough to develop relationships with kids. Clay will continue to struggle.

You have TurfToe or a concussion? I can buy most of what you have for the East/West Large school division, but the North/South come on. 
Jimtown I can totally see them winning it again.

Glenn has been beating on door last couple years so may bump up to 2.

Riley at 3?! Again is it a concussion? They don’t appear to have competed in any game but clay last year. And year before beat Clay, Washington and Gary West. So we’re expected to believe a jump from 2 clay wins, a Washington win and a Gary West win to 3rd in conference? We shall see.

Have to put Bremen up at least 1 or 2.

And last two ok you got me there.

51 minutes ago, SBFootballFan6 said:

You have TurfToe or a concussion? I can buy most of what you have for the East/West Large school division, but the North/South come on. 
Jimtown I can totally see them winning it again.

Glenn has been beating on door last couple years so may bump up to 2.

Riley at 3?! Again is it a concussion? They don’t appear to have competed in any game but clay last year. And year before beat Clay, Washington and Gary West. So we’re expected to believe a jump from 2 clay wins, a Washington win and a Gary West win to 3rd in conference? We shall see.

Have to put Bremen up at least 1 or 2.

And last two ok you got me there.

Bremen has 1? Skill kid and lost their starting QB. So if we are doing a side by side comparison. So what your saying is Glenn had 1 subpar win against a down Knox program? They beat Washington, Boone Grove?, Lakeland? Riley? For a combined opponent win record of 14 (above teams). Gary west side had almost 1/2 those wins by themselves. I know your a big Eagles fan but don’t be caught in the I told you so. Riley should of been #2 the last two seasons. But unfortunately the head coach seemed to have young assistants and 1/2 an o-line coach. 

Edited by Bucksweep22

6 minutes ago, Bucksweep22 said:

Bremen has 1? Skill kid and lost their starting QB. So if we are doing a side by side comparison. So what your saying is Glenn had 1 subpar win against a down Knox program? They beat Washington, Boone Grove?, Lakeland? Riley? For a combined opponent win record of 14 (above teams). Gary west side had almost 1/2 those wins by themselves. I know your a big Eagles fan but don’t be caught in the I told you so. Riley should of been #2 the last two seasons. But unfortunately the head coach seemed to have young assistants and 1/2 an o-line coach. 

I wouldn't say Knox was down. Glenn just took advantage of Knox's mistakes.

My 2 cents after watching 4 New Prairie scrimmages. The O-Line pass blocks really well and is weak on run blocking. They been rotating a lot on the line so it’s hard to judge which which combo is better. Kmiecik(qb) looks to be getting the ball out a lot faster with better accuracy and better decisions. Ryan’s(wr) catches everything and has the speed to break away. Sinka(rb) has impressed me with his power and speed and ability to hit the hole fast. The defense looks stout anchored by Ortman. The Cougars have the potential to be a very solid team once they work out some of the kinks out.. 

13 minutes ago, Rocket said:

My 2 cents after watching 4 New Prairie scrimmages. The O-Line pass blocks really well and is weak on run blocking. They been rotating a lot on the line so it’s hard to judge which which combo is better. Kmiecik(qb) looks to be getting the ball out a lot faster with better accuracy and better decisions. Ryan’s(wr) catches everything and has the speed to break away. Sinka(rb) has impressed me with his power and speed and ability to hit the hole fast. The defense looks stout anchored by Ortman. The Cougars have the potential to be a very solid team once they work out some of the kinks out.. 

Hopefully the O-line can put it together; that will be the key to a successful season for the cougars. No surprise about the defense, should be improved. Sinka really impressed me last year as a sophomore; the kid is a hard runner and hits the hole and falls forward. Guarantee to get you 3/4 yards every time he touches the ball. I hope the coaching staff finds ways to have Ryans, Sinka, Kmiecik, and Mungia on the field all at the same time. Frustrating last year when Mungia and Sinka would constantly sub in for one another. Just have them both in at the same time and make the defense respect both weapons. 

56 minutes ago, npcougar15 said:

Hopefully the O-line can put it together; that will be the key to a successful season for the cougars. No surprise about the defense, should be improved. Sinka really impressed me last year as a sophomore; the kid is a hard runner and hits the hole and falls forward. Guarantee to get you 3/4 yards every time he touches the ball. I hope the coaching staff finds ways to have Ryans, Sinka, Kmiecik, and Mungia on the field all at the same time. Frustrating last year when Mungia and Sinka would constantly sub in for one another. Just have them both in at the same time and make the defense respect both weapons. 

What happened during the Marian game last year? Did Mungia get hurt?

13 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

What happened during the Marian game last year? Did Mungia get hurt?

If I were to guess some things just caught up to the Cougars that they were able to get away with the first 3 weeks of the season. Don't think he was hurt (the kid had like 35 carries that game). Frustrating game to watch from a NP perspective, but I think they did learn from it. 

14 hours ago, npcougar15 said:

Couldn’t agree more with having all those kids on the field at the same time, unfortunately I don’t think it’ll happen.