Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Private Schools Take the Lead in Development of D1 Linemen

Its a huge treat and a big bonus for a high school football coach to have a D1 lineman prospect on his football team.  For the vast majority of schools, they come along rarely, and often can and do provide a huge boost and a competitive advantage.  

How about the opportunity to coach "2" D1 linemen on the same roster in the same year?

For that matter, lets just fully stretch this out and make it "3" D1 linemen on the same roster in the same season.

Private schools Indianapolis Roncalli, Indianapolis Cathedral and Evansville Memorial are becoming D1 Development factories for high end offensive and defensive linemen , and recruiters are taking notice.

Last year in our interview with 247Sports Midwest Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu, Allen stated that Indiana is becoming known across the country as a place  to find talented and high potential offensive and defensive linemen.

Roncalli will hit the field with 3 D1 signees this fall, including the following prospects :

Trevor Lauck , 6-6,290   Iowa

Brady Neu     6-4, 275    Central Michigan

Luke Skartvedt  6-4, 285   Northern Illinois

Memorial on offense will line up behind 6-6, 290LB T Edward Hartig, who has committed to Miami OH.  Memorial has several other prospects who will team up with Hartig to give the Tigers the most fearsome OL in the SIAC.

Cathedral is once again loaded with the following returnees:

Kendrick Gilbert  DL  6-5, 250  Kentucky

Brennan Wooten  TE  6-4, 225   Western Michigan

Patrick Kendall   DL   6-4, 278   Army

So how are these private schools attracting and developing these dominant linemen?

Indiana's private football powers have always had a skill and depth advantage over their public counterparts.

Never before have we seen such a huge discrepency in overall interior line size as we are seeing today.

Perhaps the privates have figured out something in the weight room that the publics have yet to leverage.  

291876059_4893066380804167_6938396504172977672_n.jpg

FUhCpdVXoAEuA9K.jpg

FWN5OxAXEAAZS97.jpg

The more I follow ncaaf recruiting the more I realize it’s largely about camps and exposure.  

and with those camps the players get great coaching and rep against other good players.  

it should come as no surprise that the same families that send their kids to private schools can also send their kids to camps and make those types of time commitments and this leads to better development of skillsets. 

for the most part….every good team in the state and then plenty of others have kids who are 6’3+ 250Lbs+ So I don’t think touting the size of these kids means anything especially if it’s meant to act like team recruit….every school has kids with prototypical size…..most of it just comes down to which of those families can make the extra commitments and then of those which of those kids actually put in the work and make the most of those opportunities.  

Especially with lineman….most of them already have the size….it’s about technique and football IQ that comes from coaching.  

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

When can we expect your post on New Palestine’s line loaded with D1 talent?

What have they figured out?

When I can figure out how to get the HC to respond to a query. He's a busy guy. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

The more I follow ncaaf recruiting the more I realize it’s largely about camps and exposure.  

and with those camps the players get great coaching and rep against other good players.  

it should come as no surprise that the same families that send their kids to private schools can also send their kids to camps and make those types of time commitments and this leads to better development of skillsets. 

for the most part….every good team in the state and then plenty of others have kids who are 6’3+ 250Lbs+ So I don’t think touting the size of these kids means anything especially if it’s meant to act like team recruit….every school has kids with prototypical size…..most of it just comes down to which of those families can make the extra commitments and then of those which of those kids actually put in the work and make the most of those opportunities.  

Especially with lineman….most of them already have the size….it’s about technique and football IQ that comes from coaching.  

Good points.  I think there is an element of Covid at play here as well.  Many public schools closed their facilities for extended periods during the Covid Pandemic.   The privates, for the most part, carried on with business as usual.  Publics lost a tremendous amount of practice time and weight training time during that period, and the privates took advantage and widened the gap between themselves and the publics.  I discussed this at length with Fishers HC Curt Funk, who said his team fell far behind in strength and development during the pandemic, and is still playing catchup.  If this impacted a school with the resources of a Fishers, imagine how it would set back small rural and county schools all across the state.  

The current dominance of Lutheran, Roncalli and Cathedral was established at the onset of the pandemic, and only increased to higher levels post Covid. 

We are currently in the throes of the greatest period of private school dominance in state football history.  I do believe ultimately the privates will cap it all off with a 6 class sweep in the state tournament.  This could very well be the year.  That will be the ultimate tipping point in the public vs private debate.

Edited by DT

9 hours ago, DT said:

Its a huge treat and a big bonus for a high school football coach to have a D1 lineman prospect on his football team.  For the vast majority of schools, they come along rarely, and often can and do provide a huge boost and a competitive advantage.  

How about the opportunity to coach "2" D1 linemen on the same roster in the same year?

For that matter, lets just fully stretch this out and make it "3" D1 linemen on the same roster in the same season.

Private schools Indianapolis Roncalli, Indianapolis Cathedral and Evansville Memorial are becoming D1 Development factories for high end offensive and defensive linemen , and recruiters are taking notice.

Last year in our interview with 247Sports Midwest Recruiting Analyst Allen Trieu, Allen stated that Indiana is becoming known across the country as a place  to find talented and high potential offensive and defensive linemen.

Roncalli will hit the field with 3 D1 signees this fall, including the following prospects :

Trevor Lauck , 6-6,290   Iowa

Brady Neu     6-4, 275    Central Michigan

Luke Skartvedt  6-4, 285   Northern Illinois

Memorial on offense will line up behind 6-6, 290LB T Edward Hartig, who has committed to Miami OH.  Memorial has several other prospects who will team up with Hartig to give the Tigers the most fearsome OL in the SIAC.

Cathedral is once again loaded with the following returnees:

Kendrick Gilbert  DL  6-5, 250  Kentucky

Brennan Wooten  TE  6-4, 225   Western Michigan

Patrick Kendall   DL   6-4, 278   Army

So how are these private schools attracting and developing these dominant linemen?

Indiana's private football powers have always had a skill and depth advantage over their public counterparts.

Never before have we seen such a huge discrepency in overall interior line size as we are seeing today.

Perhaps the privates have figured out something in the weight room that the publics have yet to leverage.  

291876059_4893066380804167_6938396504172977672_n.jpg

FUhCpdVXoAEuA9K.jpg

FWN5OxAXEAAZS97.jpg

They are born with great size and have athletic ability. And then the private schools recruit them to go to their school. There is your development. End of thread.

• Like 2
  • Kill me now 1

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

-New Pal

-Brownsburg

-Center Grove

-Noblesville

Not sure this is a private/public school thing. Multiple public schools have had multiple D1 guys in the trenches the last couple years. 

Do the math .  Lutheran, Roncalli, Cathedral and Memorial are 4 of 17 private schools that play football.  

That  leaves about 303 public schools that play.  How many of those 303 have a line that can match up to The PP Big 4?

Your lack of general everyday common sense and intuition continues to astonish me, given your strong educational background.

37 minutes ago, DT said:

Do the math .  Lutheran, Roncalli, Cathedral and Memorial are 4 of 17 private schools that play football.  

That  leaves about 303 public schools that play.  How many of those 303 have a line that can match up to The PP Big 4?

Your lack of general everyday common sense and intuition continues to astonish me, given your strong educational background.

Does Lutheran have a single D1 OL/DL? Generally asking because I can’t find one. 

Yes Roncalli has a great Offensive line, so does a school like New Pal.

What you’re ascribing isn’t a private/public thing. Indiana is producing more and more D1 talent in the trenches than ever before, and it’s not limited to private schools. There’s talent littered all over the state spread throughout all the classes.

The #1 rated recruit in Indiana last year was an OL from 3A Charlestown. The Chiefs just drafted a DE from 3A public West Lafayette in the first round.

5 of the top 6 recruits in Indiana last year according to 247 sports were either OL or rush ends and they all went to public schools. I get you need a thread quota to hit, but this ain’t it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK  So we will just ignore the fact that EM, R and CA all have college sized offensive lines, while the other 97% of schools in Indiana, private or public, do not.  

Must just be a coincidence.  

If someone asked me , "Tim, who are the high schools in Indiana that have 'college sized ' offensive lines?"

My answer would be the following.

"Gee BillyBob, thats a good question.  Here are the schools that have huge offensive lines that I am aware of."

"Evansville Memorial, Indianapolis Cathedral, Indianapolis Roncalli, New Palestine, Noblesville, West Lafayette Harrison."

11 minutes ago, DT said:

OK  So we will just ignore the fact that EM, R and CA all have college sized offensive lines, while the other 97% of schools in Indiana, private or public, do not.  

If someone asked me , "Tim, who are the high schools in Indiana that have 'college sized ' offensive lines?"

"Gee BillyBob, thats a good question.  Here are the schools that have huge offensive lines that I am aware of."

"Evansville Memorial, Indianapolis Cathedral, Indianapolis Roncalli, New Palestine, Noblesville, West Lafayette Harrison."

Part of this is getting kids to play  

Teams that are fielding  smaller OLs most definitely have some very big kids walking the hallway not playing football.  For probably every 50 males at a high school 2 of them are probably over 6’3….if you go with a slightly smaller but still big at 6’1/240 and above I’d bet there is probably 5 per every 50 males. 

on a very familiar note….Gibson Southern has typically fielded very big OLs.  I think the average over the last 10 years has been around 6’3 260 LBs.  Always 2 or 3 6’3+ guys and then the center is usually like 5’11 6’….there are bigger kids walking the halls who don’t play.  Probably 3-5 among the 700 students who are in the 6’4+ 275lbs+ range and either do something else or don’t play sports.  

every school has big kids…all of them. Unless they are a unicorn prospect like K Goodwin who stands at 6’8 330 LBs or something crazy like that….there is really no point in saying “look at how big the OL is for ______ compared to everyone else”…..everyone has big kids who would make great OL/DL if they played 

35 minutes ago, DT said:

It’s really not that hard to figure out.  Folks get tired of my continued citing of SES but every argument on here comes back to the same common denominator:  

$$$

17 Marion County seniors crack 247s current Indiana high school recruiting top prospects list…only 10 of those are from public schools in Marion County.

2 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Part of this is getting kids to play  

Teams that are fielding  smaller OLs most definitely have some very big kids walking the hallway not playing football.  For probably every 50 males at a high school 2 of them are probably over 6’3….if you go with a slightly smaller but still big at 6’1/240 and above I’d bet there is probably 5 per every 50 males. 

on a very familiar note….Gibson Southern has typically fielded very big OLs.  I think the average over the last 10 years has been around 6’3 260 LBs.  Always 2 or 3 6’3+ guys and then the center is usually like 5’11 6’….there are bigger kids walking the halls who don’t play.  Probably 3-5 among the 700 students who are in the 6’4+ 275lbs+ range and either do something else or don’t play sports.  

every school has big kids…all of them. Unless they are a unicorn prospect like K Goodwin who stands at 6’8 330 LBs or something crazy like that….there is really no point in saying “look at how big the OL is for ______ compared to everyone else”…..everyone has big kids who would make great OL/DL if they played 

Do you think Roncalli has any 6-4, 275lb boys walking the halls who are not playing football?

2 hours ago, DT said:

Do you think Roncalli has any 6-4, 275lb boys walking the halls who are not playing football?

That’s kinda my point….families who spend money for their kids to go to school….often have kids more invested in that school. 

You can’t hold it against private schools just because they see higher involvement from their students.

my point is more that every coach at a public school sees plenty of kids every day that they wish would play for them.  Doesn’t even have to be football. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

That’s kinda my point….families who spend money for their kids to go to school….often have kids more invested in that school. 

You can’t hold it against private schools just because they see higher involvement from their students.

my point is more that every coach at a public school sees plenty of kids every day that they wish would play for them.  Doesn’t even have to be football. 

It's also the reason why we need the multiplier now more than ever

22 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Then explain why Roncalli has put two players in a power five conference since 1984. 

I saw this article on Facebook, and my first thought was DT. After reading it, I didn’t think the quality was high enough. Thanks for clearing up who wrote it. 

1 hour ago, The TW said:

Then explain why Roncalli has put two players in a power five conference since 1984. 

I saw this article on Facebook, and my first thought was DT. After reading it, I didn’t think the quality was high enough. Thanks for clearing up who wrote it. 

This is the biggest, strongest, and deepest era of Roncalli football in the history of the program.  The athletes of the past just dont measure up to the kids of the current era.  

Thats not exclusive to Roncalli.  Its the way of the world in high school sports.  Many publics are experiencing the same reality.

1 hour ago, DT said:

This is the biggest, strongest, and deepest era of Roncalli football in the history of the program.  The athletes of the past just dont measure up to the kids of the current era.  

Thats not exclusive to Roncalli.  Its the way of the world in high school sports.  Many publics are experiencing the same reality.

Lol.

Do we just forget that Roncalli was a missed XP away from becoming the first high school football team in the state to 4peat in the state title? Roncalli just lost in the regionals to (gasp a public school) despite having 3 D1 lineman. Your assessment is dogsh*t. Sans Warren Central, Roncalli was the program of Indiana high school football in the early to mid 2000’s. Crow all you want about about Roncalli’s “talent”, they’re nowhere near as good as they were in the Werner, Kuntz, Sergi days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

The faithful have been touting this run since these kids were in the 4th grade. 

2 hours ago, The TW said:

Ehhh, he wrote an article last fall about the best lineman in the state and somehow missed Trevor Lauck. 

13 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Lol.

Do we just forget that Roncalli was a missed XP away from becoming the first high school football team in the state to 4peat in the state title? Roncalli just lost in the regionals to (gasp a public school) despite having 3 D1 lineman. Your assessment is dogsh*t. Sans Warren Central, Roncalli was the program of Indiana high school football in the early to mid 2000’s. Crow all you want about about Roncalli’s “talent”, they’re nowhere near as good as they were in the Werner, Kuntz, Sergi days.

LOL

This group would pound those 2004 boys into submission.

Bigger, faster, stronger, deeper.