Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
dave mosbey

PAC Conference 2017-2018

This is for anything and everything PAC. Last season when I started this thread almost everyone had Pike Central as heavy favorite for the title but the Chargers ended up going 4-4 and finished 6th in the PAC standings but they rebounded by winning a 3A sectional.

Last seasons standings

1st Gibson Southern and North Posey both 6-2

3rd Forest Park, Heritage Hills, & Tell City all 5-3

6th Pike Central 4-4

7th South Spencer 3-5

8th Southridge 2-6

9th Tecumseh 0-8

returning All-Conference and Honorable Mention PAC selections.

All-Conference

Braeden Beard Tell City

Sam Englert Forest Park

Josieh Ricketts North Posey

Wes Obermeier Gibson Southern

Murray Becher Heritage Hills

Bryant Nalley Pike Central

Jacob Sanford North Posey

Jaden Hayes Southridge

Dylan Kelly South Spencer

Honorable Mention

Daniel Lusk Forest Park

Steven Molinet Tecumseh

Trever Zink Forest Park

Alec Martin Gibson Southern   

Key Losses to graduation

All-conference PAC

Matt Embry South spencer

Dalton Selvidge Heritage Hills

Gabe Elliot Pike Central

Honorable mention

Chandler McKee Gibson Southern

Colton White Pike Central

Returning roster numbers per team based on number of graduating Seniors, Doesn't take into account for underclassmen that quit or transferred,

Tell City  Entire Varsity  roster last season was Sophomores  and one freshman so return all 5 starters,

Tecumseh  also had a Senior less roster last season  so like Tell City return all 5 starters 

Forest Park  only had 1 Senior last season and all 5 starters were underclassmen .

North Posey  had just 2 Seniors last season.

Gibson Southern also had just 2 Seniors last season 

Heritage Hills had 3 Seniors last season  and 2 of those started  but get Mitchell Becher back who started as a Sophomore  so basically return 4 starters.

Southridge had 4 Seniors last season.

Pike Central had 5 Seniors last season. 

South Spencer had  8 Seniors on their 11 man Varsity roster.

With the majority of all-conference selections being underclassmen last season and the top teams from a year ago returning the majority of their starters it looks like the PAC could be wide-open and much stronger across the board.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:05 AM, dave mosbey said:

Returning roster numbers per team based on number of graduating Seniors, Doesn't take into account for underclassmen that quit or transferred,

Tell City  Entire Varsity  roster last season was Sophomores  and one freshman so return all 5 starters,

Tecumseh  also had a Senior less roster last season  so like Tell City return all 5 starters 

Forest Park  only had 1 Senior last season and all 5 starters were underclassmen .

North Posey  had just 2 Seniors last season.

Gibson Southern also had just 2 Seniors last season 

Heritage Hills had 3 Seniors last season  and 2 of those started  but get Mitchell Becher back who started as a Sophomore  so basically return 4 starters.

Southridge had 4 Seniors last season.

Pike Central had 5 Seniors last season. 

South Spencer had  8 Seniors on their 11 man Varsity roster.

With the majority of all-conference selections being underclassmen last season and the top teams from a year ago returning the majority of their starters it looks like the PAC could be wide-open and much stronger across the board.

The conference should be much stronger this upcoming season IMO . I expect Heritage Hills , Forest Park , Tell City , North Posey , & Gibson Southern all to have really good years & expect Southridge to be much improved ! Anxious to see how the Freshman from Forest Park , Heritage Hills , & Southridge adapt to the varsity level & how much of an impact they will make ? I believe South Spencer also has a Freshman that may be able to contribute @ the Varsity level right away . I think it may be Kelley's brother ?

Yes I forget  about  the younger Kelly he's suspose to be really good and with the Rebels graduating 8 last season   I wouldn't be surprised  to see him start.

The Montgomery kid will be a freshman at Southridge. He was a monster as a middle schooler though he had been fighting off some injuries toward the end of his 8th grade year. We'll have to see how well he adapts to the speed of the high school game.

8 hours ago, Smoke said:

The Montgomery kid will be a freshman at Southridge. He was a monster as a middle schooler though he had been fighting off some injuries toward the end of his 8th grade year. We'll have to see how well he adapts to the speed of the high school game.

Yeah , I was neighbors with Colson's dad when we were in high school @ Forest Park . TJ was a very good high school player & I talk to him every so often . Looking forward to watching Colson play some this year when I'm not watching Forest Park & New Albany play . May dads from New Albany & I have several relatives still in the area & lived there myself for around 2 years . Been following them for a really long time but I just love high school basketball in general . Can't wait for the season to start !

A couple different people told me Carter Meunier is recovering from a injury if true I wouldn't be surprised to see Sisley as the starter and Carter his backup when the season opens.

Sisley along with a couple of his AAU teammates had a visit to Purdue  last week. 

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:36 AM, dave mosbey said:

A couple different people told me Carter Meunier is recovering from a injury if true I wouldn't be surprised to see Sisley as the starter and Carter his backup when the season opens.

Sisley along with a couple of his AAU teammates had a visit to Purdue  last week. 

Dave , do you know when the preview for all the boys & girls teams are going to be in the Evansville courier ?

Not sure for football its always Sunday after scrimmage but basketball everyone opens different dates.  

Just looked on Courier website and it was November 13th last season.

3 PAC Freshman ( Class of 2021 ) were invited to Hoosier Hysteria and all 3 are in the Herald coverage area .

From the article

Indiana will also host some talented 2021 prospects this weekend. The 2021 visitors will include:

Curt Hopf (Forest Park)

Jalen Blackmon (Marion)

Khristian Lander (Evansville Reitz)

Drew Carlton (Evansville Reitz)

Blake Sisley (Heritage Hills)

Colson Montgomery (Southridge)

Chrishawn Christmas (Gary Westside)

Trevor Taylor (Edgewood)

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/hoosier-hysteria-primer/ 

4 hours ago, dave mosbey said:

3 PAC Freshman ( Class of 2021 ) were invited to Hoosier Hysteria and all 3 are in the Herald coverage area .

From the article

Indiana will also host some talented 2021 prospects this weekend. The 2021 visitors will include:

Curt Hopf (Forest Park)

Jalen Blackmon (Marion)

Khristian Lander (Evansville Reitz)

Drew Carlton (Evansville Reitz)

Blake Sisley (Heritage Hills)

Colson Montgomery (Southridge)

Chrishawn Christmas (Gary Westside)

Trevor Taylor (Edgewood)

http://www.indianasportscoverage.com/hoosier-hysteria-primer/ 

The future is bright for PAC basketball, IF, they all continue to develop and stay healthy.  There is also good talent behind those three as well.

Maxpreps  has a updated roster for HH and JD Hoover isn't listed so unless its a mistake he might not be playing his Senior season.

Positions Gr.Ht Wt

12 Simon Scherry PG So.6-1 155

14 Grant Lashley PG, SG Jr.5-9 135

22 Carson Leibering SG, PG Jr.5-9 140

24 Cade Jones SG Jr.5-11 180

30 Dylan BegleSG, SFJr.6-2 145

32 Carter Meunier PF, C Sr.6-7 190

34 Cole SiglerSG, SF So.5-11 165

40 Mitchel Becher PG, SG, SF Sr.6-2 190

42 Grahm Turner C, PFJr.6-3 190

44 Murray Becher SF, SG So.6-4 160

52 Blake Sisley PF, C Fr.6-7 190

See the all-time roster

Staff

Nate Hawkins Head Coach

Josh Wetzel Junior Varsity

John Becher Freshmen

Dillion Gregory Assistant Coach

According to the link below JDs grandfather is the new head coach at Blackford .

From the article

“It’s a package deal,” said Hoover, adding that his son will help coach the team and that if anything happens to him health-wise his son can take over as the head coach.

“He’s qualified to be a head coach,” Hoover said of his son. “He played for Jim Hammel, who’s in the Hall of Fame. He also played for [Dave] Schellhase at Moorehead State.”

Hoover’s grandsons are J.D., who will be a senior, Steffan, who will be a freshman, and Dayton, who will be an eighth grader.

“I would say they’re very, very gifted from a mental standpoint,” Hoover said. “The oldest one got a 30 on his ACT and he maxed everything on it except math. He’s going to take it again and is hoping to get a 33 or 34. The middle one who is going to be a freshman got published in a scientific journal. That’s really unusual.

“They’re gifted that way. J.D., the oldest one, is 6-5. He’d probably be a Division-III basketball player, but because of his grades and everything he’s a candidate to go just about anywhere he wants to go from an academic standpoint.”

J.D. Hoover averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds per game for a Heritage Hills team that went 15-9 this past season.

http://www.pharostribune.com/sports/article_7f47e040-3b67-11e7-b7f4-d71cf8053780.html

Good luck to the Hoovers at Blackford !

Most folks on the similar thread to this last season counted GS out (the lost points from graduation couldn't be made up etc. ) then they go on to a conference title....perhaps they were just lucky?

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Most folks on the similar thread to this last season counted GS out (the lost points from graduation couldn't be made up etc. ) then they go on to a conference title....perhaps they were just lucky?

Don't think you can count anyone out this season , PAC  should be loaded.

• Upvote 1

Top-to-bottom, PAC will arguably be the strongest it has ever been.  

Outside of the SIAC, I'd put the PAC up against any in the Southern half of the state, in terms of overall strength.

4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Well, you know what they say. It’s better to be lucky than good any day!  :15_v:

• Haha 1

Looking at the overall records from last year I could see most of the teams improving on their win total from last season.

If I had to pick a favorite I would go with Forest Park because return all 5 starters and have 2 highly regarded  incoming freshman to add to the mix. But I could see any of the top 6 from last season winning PAC in 17-18. Tecumseh  and Southridge who finished 8th and 9th  last season both have potential to move up the standings the Braves return everyone and Raiders return a few good players and a good freshman to add to the mix. 

South Spencer  is the team that I have the biggest question about if they will win more or less then the previous year  Dylan Kelly  is as good a point guard as anyone in the PAC and Taylor is as good a forward as anyone also, Webb should be a solid Guard or small forward and if the younger Kelly boy joins his brother  in the starting lineup the Rebels should have a solid  4 but what will they have on the bench ?? and will they have a solid post player to compete with the likes of Beard from TC , Englert/Hopf from FP, Obermeier from GS , Hayes from SR, Nalley from PC  and Meunier/Sisley From HH .  That said I don't think Posey had much size  last season in the starting lineup  and  tied for the title, Vikings did have 6'5" Goedde  but unless I'm mistaken I believe he was 6th man.

Gibson Southern 6-2      15-9

North Posey 6-2          11-13

Forest Park 5-3          18-10

Heritage Hills 5-3      15-9

Tell City 5-3            13-11

Pike Central 4-4      15-12

South Spencer 3-5    10-13

Southridge 2-6          5-19

Tecumseh 0-8           6-17

17 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Titan32 is probably talking about me.  I was very wrong about GS so I will overcorrect this year.  GS will probably go undefeated. They won the PAC at 6-2 and can only go up from there. :02_v:

Is Obermeier playing?  I heard a rumor (probably false) that he wasn't playing basketball.

20 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Titan32 is probably talking about me.  I was very wrong about GS so I will overcorrect this year.  GS will probably go undefeated. They won the PAC at 6-2 and can only go up from there. :02_v:

Is Obermeier playing?  I heard a rumor (probably false) that he wasn't playing basketball.

He was saying that for a while....but he is back in I'm told.

14 hours ago, dave mosbey said:

That said I don't think Posey had much size 

The Vikings will definitely be guard led. They will have a couple boys over 6'5" but their top 2-4 players are guards. I hear the current 8th graders have good size led by Josiah Ricketts younger brother (I hear he is 6'3"ish.)

PAC Opening games.

Wednesday, Nov. 22

Crawford County at Forest Park, 6:30 pm

Evansville Central at North Posey, 7 pm

Perry Central at Tell City, 7 pm

Pike Central at Northeast Dubois, 6:30 pm

Saturday, Nov. 25

Heritage Hills at North Harrison, 7 pm

Tecumseh at Dugger Union, 5 pm

Tuesday, Nov. 28

South Spencer at Owensboro Catholic (Ky.), 7:30 pm

Friday, Dec. 1

Gibson Southern at Jasper, 7 pm

Washington at Southridge, 6:30 pm

I'll go ahead & make my predictions for the conference records in the PAC , someone has to ! I believe I remember most of the impact players coming back for the teams . Included in my predictions (Records) are the Freshman in the conference that I think could be impact players & also where teams play each other . FP may have a starter , Noah Fleck , out for the start of the season but I'm not sure ? He may have a cracked bone in his foot but that's just what I heard .

Forest Park  7-1

Heritage Hills , North Posey , Gibson Southern   6-2

Tell City , Southridge   4-4

Pike Central   2-6

South Spencer   1-7

Tecumseh    0-8 

Heritage Hills had their Blue - White scrimmage yesterday Carter Meunier was at it but didn't play in the scrimmage so not sure how long he will be out. When the varsity warmed up before the final scrimmage Freshman Blake Sisley and Sophomore Murray Becher  started dunking it and didn't count but guess both had at least 5 dunks trying to one up the other or that's what it looked like, Murrays grown a inch or two and can really get up there.

They had Murray Becher, Mitchel Becher, Blake Sisley, Cade Jones and Simon Scherry against  Lashley, Turner, Liebering, Begle and Sigler in the scrimmage guessing the first 5 will be the starting lineup  but could change if'/when Meunier returns.

We had 9 freshman, 8 sophomores, 5 Juniors and 3 Seniors so numbers look decent but most look to be  guards/ small forwards     Turner was the only post player on the Varsity  other then Sisley & Meunier and Big Mark Doyle 6'3"  270 + the only post player on the JV so might lack depth behind Sisley until Meunier returns. Two possibilities from last season were Ebert and Hoover but ones not playing and the other transferred.