Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
MDAlum82

2A Sectional 40 - who survives?

3 hours ago, MDfan said:

I'm afraid to say NP is a little outmatched this year. I love what the new head coach is doing with the program though. Give them a couple more years and I think they are back to their glory days

Curious, how many North Posey or Linton games have you attended this year? 

5 hours ago, SouthNZone said:

Where?  I read the thread 15 times trying to find where Linton fans think this post season run is a given. Was there a post deleted?  By Sags...we have to face the 4th rated team.  If we were to win that, we have to face the 2nd rated team, more than likely.  That team already beat us this year.  If we were to get lucky and win that, we will more than likely have to face the top rated team in the sectional.  We have the toughest road to travel in this sectional, we know its not a given.  It's the other schools posters assuming MD will be playing the winner of SR/Linton.

I would argue that North Posey has a tougher road. 

2 hours ago, Cappy said:

Curious, how many North Posey or Linton games have you attended this year? 

I would argue that North Posey has a tougher road. 

lol you're mad I said your team is outmatched? I don't just mean Linton btw. There's also Southridge and MD in the sectional too. Makes for a really hard tournament for NP if you ask me. But to answer your question...0. I do interact with some really loyal NP fans daily and they aren't talking about a sectional championship.

32 minutes ago, MDfan said:

lol you're mad I said your team is outmatched? I don't just mean Linton btw. There's also Southridge and MD in the sectional too. Makes for a really hard tournament for NP if you ask me. But to answer your question...0. I do interact with some really loyal NP fans daily and they aren't talking about a sectional championship.

Not mad at all, you may very well be correct. I suspect that most would agree with you. 

20 hours ago, jets said:

I was thinking the same thing, didn't want to say anything though. 

These Linton fans seem to think that postseason runs are a GIVEN...I can tell you it's a little different animal than that 1A sectional you're used to! (Sorry, just couldn't help myself) 

Knowledgeable Linton fans know what they're up against in this Sectional.  Some of us may talk with a little bluster but most of us know that (1) the competition is fierce, including North Posey, and (2) this Linton is a young team and not quite up to the standard of most of the teams of the last few years.  We're proud of the season they've given us thus far and I think they will be a tough out but it's not really realistic to be predicting that Linton will roll through this Sectional.  Personally, I'll be happy if they win a game,  happier if they win two, and ecstatic if they would win it all, but...

But.  But!  But what Tut!!!  You can't leaving us hanging in suspense like this.  Now the rest of my day is ruined, absolutely ruined.  I hate the thought of the unknown. 

47 minutes ago, puff said:

But.  But!  But what Tut!!!  You can't leaving us hanging in suspense like this.  Now the rest of my day is ruined, absolutely ruined.  I hate the thought of the unknown. 

:07_v:

2 hours ago, puff said:

...but I won't be surprised or particularly upset if it doesn't happen.   I know Coach Oliver and his excellent staff will get all they can get out of this Miner team.  That's good enough for me.

Edited by kingtut

1 hour ago, kingtut said:

...but I won't be surprised or particularly upset if it doesn't happen.   I know Coach Oliver and his excellent staff will get all they can get out of this Miner team.  That's good enough for me.

Thank the Lord God and all things holy!  Dang Tut, you can't leave us hanging like that in the future.  I have been staring at the wall wondering what you were getting at for the last 3 hours.  Now its time to get some work done. 

23 hours ago, SouthNZone said:

Where?  I read the thread 15 times trying to find where Linton fans think this post season run is a given. Was there a post deleted?  By Sags...we have to face the 4th rated team.  If we were to win that, we have to face the 2nd rated team, more than likely.  That team already beat us this year.  If we were to get lucky and win that, we will more than likely have to face the top rated team in the sectional.  We have the toughest road to travel in this sectional, we know its not a given.  It's the other schools posters assuming MD will be playing the winner of SR/Linton.

You must have missed itiswhatitis's post that said "  Any one of these 3 teams: MD, Southridge, or Linton could win sectional 39.  And I will also say, "Good luck and good health to all teams"."

24 minutes ago, SR1 said:

You must have missed itiswhatitis's post that said "  Any one of these 3 teams: MD, Southridge, or Linton could win sectional 39.  And I will also say, "Good luck and good health to all teams"."

And your point is?  Look at sectional 39 and then make a case for ANY team in sectional 39 that could win sectional 40.  I'll wait........

1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

And your point is?  Look at sectional 39 and then make a case for ANY team in sectional 39 that could win sectional 40.  I'll wait........

I agree with you,  there isn't a threat in 39 to whomever comes out of your sectional.  Paoli is the best team in there IMO and they are good, their 27-6 loss at 4A Greenwood was a good loss, Greenwood is a good team.   Mitchell is improved but no threat to anyone outside that sectional 

You really missed my point. I can not make a case for any sectional 39 team that could win sectional 40 because I do not think any of them could.

I think his point was North Posey was not mentioned, but what do I know ? :)

On the other hand, this sectional will be a dandy! Good luck to all teams!

47 minutes ago, miner_35 said:

I think his point was North Posey was not mentioned, but what do I know ? :)

On the other hand, this sectional will be a dandy! Good luck to all teams!

I think they called me out and accused me of saying that it is a "given" that Linton will make a deep tournament run.  I never said anything close to that.  I named the top 3 teams in sectional 40 (and gave them in the order of ranking:  MD, Southridge, and Linton) and made the statement that any of those 3 teams could win sectional 39.  Never said anything about any teams making a deep run especially the Miners.  Can't think why they would say that.

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, itiswhatitis said:

A potential break???  They have the easiest path to the sectional final and you know it.  LOL  They will breeze through the first two games without breaking a sweat.  But I do agree this is one of the toughest sectionals in the entire state.  Forgive me for being a homer here, but it makes me glad to see Linton being moved up to 2A and know they are in the conversation.  IMHO winning sectional 40 will be tougher than winning the regional.  Any one of these 3 teams: MD, Southridge, or Linton could win sectional 39.  And I will also say, "Good luck and good health to all teams".

GO MINERS!!!

Here is my original post and was a reply to a Mater Dei fan.  I was talking about Mater Dei breezing through the first two games.  Where does it say it is a given that Linton will make a deep tournament run?  I never even hinted at that.  They are in the conversation as one of the top three teams in sectional 40.  That's all I  said.  Winning sectional 40 (for ANY team) will be tougher than winning the regional.  That still goes.  The Sectional 40 winner will be one of the four teams left the week before Thanksgiving.

Edited by itiswhatitis
  • Upvote 1

I think you are clearly overlooking North Posey. Linton may beat them but at this point to I think it could go either way.

11 minutes ago, SR1 said:

I think you are clearly overlooking North Posey. Linton may beat them but at this point to I think it could go either way.

As fans, that is kind of our job ;). I hope we are still focused on Week 8, and then week 9 to get all of the mistakes ironed out.

Do I believe Linton can beat North Posey? Yes, possibly by 2-3 scores minimum if they play like they are capable.  Do I think Linton can win sectionals? Yes I do. However, I do believe we could lose big if we show up flat at all, as this is not the same sectional we have dominated over the last several years.

Beefing up the schedule has helped this team out so far this year, but we won't know until the postseason if it has helped enough. 

I just hope MD can head into sectionals relatively healthy.  There is a good chance we'll be entering the playoffs coming off of back to back 20 point losses (to Central and Reitz), so the last thing I want is for us to be hurt too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Moonshiners said:

I just hope MD can head into sectionals relatively healthy.  There is a good chance we'll be entering the playoffs coming off of back to back 20 point losses (to Central and Reitz), so the last thing I want is for us to be hurt too.

Moonshiners I noticed the last two games (and both road games) on your schedule (brutal).  I was wondering if either one of those would get out of reach on the scoreboard for MD, would the coach pull key players to keep them "safe" (healthy) for the tournament?  I think everyone has the same thought (last thing wanted is players hurt).  I would imagine there are many coaches who have some anxious moments those last two weeks of the season.

Edited by itiswhatitis

A bit off topic but speaking of staying healthy. Didn't somebody forfeit their last regular season game in 2016? 

Definitely.  Goebel's always been good at getting players in, so if it's out of hand he'll do all he can to limit injuries.  I should have more faith in MD and think we'll pull off an upset, but Central and Reitz are quite good.  I'm not sure if Al Bundy would start for either team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Moonshiners said:

Definitely.  Goebel's always been good at getting players in, so if it's out of hand he'll do all he can to limit injuries.  I should have more faith in MD and think we'll pull off an upset, but Central and Reitz are quite good.  I'm not sure if Al Bundy would start for either team.

+ 1 for the Al Bundy comment.  LOL  In the last 10 years, Mater Dei has won 7 out of 10 sectional titles.  The 3 times they didn't win it they lost to Southridge (2013 and 2007 in the sectional final and 2008 in the first round to Southrdige).  So given past history and given what they are doing this season, it is no surprise that Mater Dei and Southrdige are the 2 favorites to win sectional 40 with Linton in the spoiler role.

Edited by itiswhatitis

11 hours ago, SR1 said:

You are entitled to your opinion and that's okay.  At this point, the Miners are a 17.5 point favorite over North Posey.  So that makes it a bit hard to believe it could go either way.  And yes, I get they STILL have to play the game.  I'd still take the Miners whether I was a fan or not.  Whether they cover that spread or not is irrelevant.  It's win or turn in your equipment.  The point difference doesn't matter during the tournament.  Survive and advance is ALL that matters.  Someone made the comment that North Posey has the toughest road to win the sectional.  I would agree with that and will say Linton has the next toughest.  (N.P would need to beat the #3, #2, and #1 favorites while Linton would have to beat the #4, #2, and #1 favorites).  I guess it's true: to be the best, you have to beat the best.  Linton has won sectional 48 (1A) something like 6 straight years.  This year, they will be in the role of spoiler.  It will be interesting to see how this young team handles that.  I found it rather odd (dang those ping pong balls) that 3 of the top 4 teams in 40 ended up in the same bracket. 

42 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

+ 1 for the Al Bundy comment.  LOL  In the last 10 years, Mater Dei has won 7 out of 10 sectional titles.  The 3 times they didn't win it they lost to Southridge (2013 and 2007 in the sectional final and 2008 in the first round to Southrdige).  So given past history and given what they are doing this season, it is no surprise that Mater Dei and Southrdige are the 2 favorites to win sectional 40 with Linton in the spoiler role.

We (Southridge) weren't in that sectional for 2 of those years due to our trip up to 3A. Just wanted to point that out. 

• Upvote 1