Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Conference Realignment Rumblings - The Topic That Never Goes Away

On 7/6/2022 at 9:53 PM, DT said:

It makes perfect sense, for Southport and tech to replace Carmel and Center Grove in The MIC.

Then the conference should do a full rinse and downsize its sports menu and focus on what the kids want to participate in .  

Below is the current sports offering at Ben Davis.  I put an X next to those that would be candidates for contraction throughout the conference.  If any other MIC school wants to continue on in a sport, they could as an independent.

Ben Davis recently won the Bowling state finals.  Don’t think that sport is going anywhere.

On 7/6/2022 at 9:53 PM, DT said:

It makes perfect sense, for Southport and tech to replace Carmel and Center Grove in The MIC.

Then the conference should do a full rinse and downsize its sports menu and focus on what the kids want to participate in .  

Below is the current sports offering at Ben Davis.  I put an X next to those that would be candidates for contraction throughout the conference.  If any other MIC school wants to continue on in a sport, they could as an independent.

My problem with your contraction statement is that MANY kids would be left in the dark without a program and I know for a fact that a school this size has north of 200 kids participating in all these sports.  It’s simply not right to toss these programs in the trash when there are still many kids participating.

I also can confirm that Southport has zero interest in the MIC and Tech would be non competitive.  The chance of one joining is less than 15% while the chances of both are less than 3%.

2 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Mid-State maybe?  They’d be a better fit here than the MIC.  I’m purely guessing here.

Having Southport and Columbus North join Mid-State would bring the conference to 10 members, which, while large, allows for division play. 

On 7/8/2022 at 12:55 AM, DT said:

I will personally recognize those Bowling state titles when the IHSAA approves state competition for cornhole, lawn jarts and horseshoes.  Lets add one more, badminton, and call it a Hoosier Prep Pentathalon, naturally hosted at Giants Stadium on the Ben Davis High School Campus.  Outdoor bowling would be very cool.  Do you think all 6 schools could field teams to fully participate?  Snooty NC would probably pass at the idea of silly cornhole.  

Where did I say that the IHSAA recognizes bowling as a sport? There are no plaques on the gym wall here. The trophies are in a trophy case but not with the IHSAA sports. I don't know why you have to be such a jerk. I never said that the state titles were IHSAA recognized. You're the one who said that these were MIC sports. I didn't. 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:33 AM, temptation said:

I just spit out my coffee.

Figures. Hope it didn't burn you.

Edited by BDGiant93
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Mid-State maybe?  They’d be a better fit here than the MIC.  I’m purely guessing here.

Southport HAD no interest in the Mid-State when Perry left CI. Now, it's a different Athletic Department now there.

11 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Southport HAD no interest in the Mid-State when Perry left CI. Now, it's a different Athletic Department now there.

Perry wants separation from Southport.  That's why they left Conference Indiana, amongst other reasons. 

14 hours ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

My problem with your contraction statement is that MANY kids would be left in the dark without a program and I know for a fact that a school this size has north of 200 kids participating in all these sports.  It’s simply not right to toss these programs in the trash when there are still many kids participating.

I also can confirm that Southport has zero interest in the MIC and Tech would be non competitive.  The chance of one joining is less than 15% while the chances of both are less than 3%.

It does not make financial or common sense to offer sports that have extremely low participation rates, or sports that your kids do not have a fair chance to compete on a level playing field.  I think at BD in particular, they take great pride in the fact that they offer such a huge and comprehensive selection of activities for their students.

BD kids, and for that matter most at Pike, WC and The Larrys , dont have the benefit of high cost personalized one on one training that kids in Carmel and Center Grove routinely get.  Those kids who may not get to swim or play golf and tennis (bowling must be a club sport - we wont touch that) can find other sporting or non sporting activities that catch their interest.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

It does not make financial or common sense to offer sports that have extremely low participation rates, or sports that your kids do not have a fair chance to compete on a level playing field.  I think at BD in particular, they take great pride in the fact that they offer such a huge and comprehensive selection of activities for their students.

BD kids, and for that matter most at Pike, WC and The Larrys , dont have the benefit of high cost personalized one on one training that kids in Carmel and Center Grove routinely get.  Those kids who may not get to swim or play golf and tennis (bowling must be a club sport - we wont touch that) can find other sporting or non sporting activities that catch their interest.  

You're telling a golfer to play basketball or football or run track? Our golf team showed tremendous growth this past season. When you see the medalist of a tournament wearing his medal around school on Monday following the weekend, you tell him, "Sorry, you're going to have to play another sport."

7 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

You're telling a golfer to play basketball or football or run track? Our golf team showed tremendous growth this past season. When you see the medalist of a tournament wearing his medal around school on Monday following the weekend, you tell him, "Sorry, you're going to have to play another sport."

The biggest reason your conference fell apart Jon is due to a lack of competition for the rich schools in the country club sports.  They got tired of competing against themselves while the other 6 schools either stood around and watched or just didnt show up.

What Im suggesting is that The MIC step back and reconsider what it wants to be in high school sports.  

Unfortunately , 9 or 10 kids in a school of 4500 (.002%) would be affected by the decision to drop golf.  Sometimes tough decisions have to be made.  Id rather see the MIC go forward at what it is really good at, rather than being an also ran or a non factor in many sports where the demographics and socioeconomic factors just dont match the student body.  

Im not trying to be argumentative, just practical.  

Edited by DT

23 hours ago, temptation said:

Side note:  Anyone claiming the BD shooting ordeal didn’t play a factor or speed up the process is also lying through their teeth.

That, combined with the Center Grove bus ordeal.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2022 at 8:56 PM, gonzoron said:

That, combined with the Center Grove bus ordeal.

Come on now.

One was a handful of idiot teenage kids, the other is a cultural/community issue that is life or death. Turn on the news.

I have little faith in many modern administrators but if you think some idiot 15 year old kids’ whose balls have yet to drop dictated policy and future procedure/decision making  for thousands of student athletes, you are more gone than I had originally thought.

By no means excusing it, but not a valid comparison.

Apples to oranges.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Come on now.

One was a handful of idiot teenage kids, the other is a cultural/community issue that is life or death. Turn on the news.

I have little faith in many modern administrators but if you think some idiot 15 year old kids’ whose balls have yet to drop dictated policy and future procedure/decision making  for thousands of student athletes, you are more gone than I had originally thought.

By no means excusing it, but not a valid comparison.

Apples to oranges.

What comparison was made? If you say X had an effect on something happening and someone offers Y also had effect of that same thing, nothing about those statements imply X and Y are related at all nor do they make any type of comparison between X and Y besides the stated contribution to some outcome. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

MIC = no confidence in themselves to compete with Carmel and CG. Biggest schools in Indy and it’s a disgrace for them not to have Carmel or CG in conference anymore. Let alone even playing them. Loser mindset.

HCC = scared to bring in CG and Carmel. Afraid of wanting to push their programs to the top. I do realize this was not all of the schools and had other reasons aside from football because of other sports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

MIC = no confidence in themselves to compete with Carmel and CG. Biggest schools in Indy and it’s a disgrace for them not to have Carmel or CG in conference anymore. Let alone even playing them. Loser mindset.

HCC = scared to bring in CG and Carmel. Afraid of wanting to push their programs to the top. I do realize this was not all of the schools and had other reasons aside from football because of other sports. 

Not exactly a glowing assessment of the competitive nature of the two biggest and baddest high school athletic conferences in the state.  

18 minutes ago, DT said:

Not exactly a glowing assessment of the competitive nature of the two biggest and baddest high school athletic conferences in the state.  

Which is why I think you'll see a newly formed conference created down the road. 

Carmel

Center Grove

Westfield

Brownsburg

HSE

Zionsville

That's a start. Fishers, Avon, Franklin Central, and Noblesville can decide if they want to play big boy football or not. MIC/HCC merger from there seems realistic.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Which is why I think you'll see a newly formed conference created down the road. 

Carmel

Center Grove

Westfield

Brownsburg

HSE

Zionsville

That's a start. Fishers, Avon, Franklin Central, and Noblesville can decide if they want to play big boy football or not. MIC/HCC merger from there seems realistic.

Got a feeling Carmel is going to enjoy being an independent

27 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Carmel

Center Grove

Westfield

Brownsburg

HSE

Zionsville

I think you’d be more likely to see Fishers and Avon instead of a Westfield and Zionsville.

4 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

What comparison was made? If you say X had an effect on something happening and someone offers Y also had effect of that same thing, nothing about those statements imply X and Y are related at all nor do they make any type of comparison between X and Y besides the stated contribution to some outcome. 

LOL, just an incredibly bad take on his part, one of his worst…which is saying something.

Analogy:  It’s the McDonald’s that I eat once per year that’s making me obese.

Sure, it could have played a minuscule factor but come on.

Dude provided no context and tried to sincerely compare a one off incident by an immature group of punk kids to folks on the west side of town fearing for their lives and losing friends and family members on a daily basis.

Edited by temptation

4 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DT said:

Got a feeling Carmel is going to enjoy being an independent

I agree with this 1000000000000% 

Thinking of those country club sports and the changes in the travel rule. Golf courses and tennis clubs, swim clubs (since the Carmel one gets ZERO competition in State) ought to see a prime opportunity for inviting top programs from around the country.

4 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Carmel

Center Grove

Westfield

Brownsburg

HSE

Zionsville

I think you'd be more likely to see Westfield and Zionsville push to boot some of the other schools out of the HCC and look at re-votes to admit Carmel and/or Center Grove rather than jump ship to form a new conference.

19 minutes ago, foxbat said:

I think you'd be more likely to see Westfield and Zionsville push to boot some of the other schools out of the HCC and look at re-votes to admit Carmel and/or Center Grove rather than jump ship to form a new conference.

Not sure about Zionsville but Westfield want no part of CG. My understand is that they where a hard no from the start