Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Peter Simon Veeder

Wabash River Conference Week 9

The Clinton ref is no worse than having Digger for a ref. I think he is the Rox insurance plan he is there do much. 

On 10/13/2017 at 10:08 PM, OldSage said:

Heard SV had the same officiating crew for tonight’s WRC championship game that they have already had for 1 other WRC game this season.  Happens to be the crew that the white hat not only resides in Clinton and is 1 of the AD’s best buddies, but also assigns all of SV’s games for them.  Seems pretty shady to me?

On 10/13/2017 at 11:18 PM, OldSage said:

I never mentioned the outcome of the game because I don’t think that is relevant here.  What is relevant here is that there is a school in this conference willing to allow the same crew to do multiple games in a year....and what’s worse...a crew out working 2 games there within a mont I think.  

38 minutes ago, dodger said:

The Clinton ref is no worse than having Digger for a ref. I think he is the Rox insurance plan he is there do much. 

This is a thorny issue. The National Federation’s Football Game Officials Manual includes a copy of the Officials Code of Ethics. The Code does not address this issue. Therefore, there is no regulation or guideline that addresses this of which I am aware. This can be a real problem in less populated areas where there may not be a lot of officials available. 

An official working home games for a school that pays him to assign games is a more problematic issue, as there is a financial interest involved. I assume this was a conference game. If the conference ADs are aware of the practice — and it’s almost inconceivable that they are not — and they don’t object, then no team should have a problem with it, either. Having said that, the official in question ought to look in the mirror and ask himself the following question: In this situation, could my impartiality reasonably be questioned? It is important for officials to not only be impartial — which I’m sure this official is — but to insure they do not present the appearance of partiality in soliciting or accepting game assignments. 

Edited by bobref

On 10/14/2017 at 9:05 PM, Joe Kane said:

The late, great Don Corey (may you Rest In Peace, Mr. Corey) would work NV games and the visiting fans would rattle this, that, and the other about him being a "homer." Truth be told, Mr. Corey fought that uninformed label so much, that I sometimes felt like he was calling a little extra against his deal 'ol Falcons. 

This week leading up to the week 10 games will be interesting. I know NV is dealing with a week-long fall break so that will possibly adjust the schedule/routine a bit. I'm sure Crabtree and his staff will do their best to make sure the schedule stays as close to normal as possible. Are all of the schools in the sectional (and likewise the conference with this ridiculous realignment) going through the same 

Edited by mechanic24

On 10/14/2017 at 7:29 PM, OldSage said:

I never meant to imply the reason SV won part of the WRC was due to homer officiating.  I give 1000% kudos to SV and their administration for being tired of losing and going out and trying to make changes.  Obviously the guy they brought in is a difference maker and him and their kids deserve all the credit in the world for the massive turnaround that took place this year!  The only thing I was trying to point out was that what they are doing with officials is unethical and something nobody else in the WRC does.  I was just calling them AND the official/s out that are a part of it.  It’s common knowledge the white hat from last night’s game (who is also SV’s assigner) is a close, close friend of the SV AD.  Now that they appear to be relevant again in the WRC do you feel comfortable with playing them at home when you possibly could be playing 11 vs 16?  

NV played them 3rd week and it looked as if SV was going to walk away with another home. victory but NV came out second half and ran the board with 48 unanswered points but that was before NV had all the injuries as it's faced with now.