Sign in to follow this  
DanteEstonia

Should basketball teams have to qualify for the playoffs?

Wrong state to ask this question to. Still licking it's wounds from eliminating single class tournament almost 20 years ago, doubt IHSAA touches basketball again ( but I've always learned to say never say never)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Staxawax said:

You're trying to open up the Holy Grail?

I am seeing if this board wishes to apply the idea of playoff qualification to basketball as they would to football. @DrivenT and @Footballking16, what are your stances?

22 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

I am seeing if this board wishes to apply the idea of playoff qualification to basketball as they would to football. @DrivenT and @Footballking16, what are your stances?

I think every postseason should be based upon regular season success, just as it is in every other state at just about every level of play. Whether it be seeding the sectionals 1-8 or taking a certain % of the field after the regular season, your postseason chances or draw should be based on how well you performed in the regular season. That is why you play the regular season, to determine who is in/out or where you're seeded come play-offs. You cannot show me another postseason format, excluding ones put on by the IHSAA, where the regular season in one way or another dictates the postseason.

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

You cannot show me another postseason format, excluding ones put on by the IHSAA, where the regular season in one way or another dictates the postseason.

Minnesota also has open playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

great question

The NIAA uses the same metric across the board, in all sports, to determine playoff berths. Why shouldn't Indiana do the same?

14 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Minnesota also has open playoffs. 

The NIAA uses the same metric across the board, in all sports, to determine playoff berths. Why shouldn't Indiana do the same?

That's 3 high school associations out of 50 + D.C.

I coach an 11-12 year old travel baseball team and my kids know that if they don't finish in the top 2 in pool play during the week they aren't playing on the weekend. Never is it a "that's not fair" type of response, it's understood that the teams who have earned the right to move on move on.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That's 3 high school associations out of 50 + D.C.

Again, different States have different needs. The NIAA has qualifier playoffs, but we have to do that to force teams to schedule each other.

20 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Again, different States have different needs. The NIAA has qualifier playoffs, but we have to do that to force teams to schedule each other.

And again, you can have a qualifier in this state as is without altering schedules and conferences. You get rewarded for scheduling teams above your weight (2a school playing in a predominantly 4a conference) and you still get rewarded for wins (4a school playing in a predominantly 2a-3a conference). It isn't hard concept, it's done in multiple states across the country. Look no further than Ohio. They have conferences littered with teams from different classifications and they make it work. You get bonus points for scheduling a beating teams above your weight.

Obviously tradition is the bull with the big balls against it. The tournament has always been a totally new ballgame where everyone starts fresh. I'm not sure I see any reason to change in Indiana. I don't think it is necessary to make regular season games any more important than is now the case. I don't agree with the concept that the only reason you play the season is to set up for post season. Regular season games, including conference games, all have merit and importance in and of themselves.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:42 PM, DanteEstonia said:

If so, what should be the metric for determining playoff participation?

Not in boys basketball.

FootballKing 16 ran a test pitting Sagarin's anticipated results vs. actual results when a team in the top 1/2 of the Sagarin ratings played a team in the bottom 1/2... the results, "Of the 53 match-ups in classes 1A-5A this past weekend, 2 (TWO) upsets occurred."  And those matchups were between something like #25 and #32; hardly upsets.  Qualifications in football may help to eliminate the inevitable blowouts that happen in round 1 or 2.

Flip over to hoops... last year only 3 of the top 10 2A teams won a sectional (and none of those won a regional).  #1 Howe lost to #58th ranked Speedway on opening night.  Crawford County started the tournament ranked somewhere in the middle of 2A and went clear to the championship game.  South Knox finished the year at #24 after having got past Linton and BarrReeve, both top 5 teams.  They too likely started in the middle somewhere.  Lots of parity in hoops...

Would anyone want to do away with the opening weekend in March Madness and just start w/ 32 teams?  Someone is wearing the glass slipper every year.

No qualifying metric needed (or wanted) in basketball...

• Like 1

On 10/27/2017 at 2:36 PM, basketballjones said:

No qualifying metric needed (or wanted) in basketball...

I agree. Basketball isn’t like football where you can have two, sometimes three weeks of blowouts before you get to the”real” postseason.

Any need for “qualifying” is usually taken care of Tuesday night. 

it might create too much damage to the regular season to be worth whatever gains may be foreseen.  Small schools would lose their regular season shot at the big boys, who need to ensure they don't take a "bad loss" in December if they want to qualify.  Teams that start 4-8 would lose most of their interest in finishing the season.  For every big game you create for teams on the bubble, you devalue probably a dozen others.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, basketballjones said:

Not in boys basketball.

FootballKing 16 ran a test pitting Sagarin's anticipated results vs. actual results when a team in the top 1/2 of the Sagarin ratings played a team in the bottom 1/2... the results, "Of the 53 match-ups in classes 1A-5A this past weekend, 2 (TWO) upsets occurred."  And those matchups were between something like #25 and #32; hardly upsets.  Qualifications in football may help to eliminate the inevitable blowouts that happen in round 1 or 2.

Flip over to hoops... last year only 3 of the top 10 2A teams won a sectional (and none of those won a regional).  #1 Howe lost to #58th ranked Speedway on opening night.

Howe pissed away the sectional championship game after leading by double digits to Shenandoah who was ranked #13 in class 2A. Broad Ripple choked to Speedway on opening night.

I stand corrected; it was Broad Ripple not Howe.  Doesn't change anything though.  Basketball will never see teams omitted from sectionals.  

IHSAA could do us a favor tho and implement something in football to take away a week's worth of unnecessary games and injury.

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I stand corrected; it was Broad Ripple not Howe.  Doesn't change anything though.  Basketball will never see teams omitted from sectionals.  

IHSAA could do us a favor tho and implement something in football to take away a week's worth of unnecessary games and injury.

We don't play high school sports for the benefit of the fans.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Giantbeareagle80 said:

Can of worms opened!    Here we go!

...not really.  I don't see anyone asking for IHSAA to implement qualification prerequisites for basketball.  And football shouldn't necessarily do it for the fans, I was thinking more along the concussion / injury concerns.  Frankly, I don't care what the hell they do w/ football.

38 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

...not really.  I don't see anyone asking for IHSAA to implement qualification prerequisites for basketball.  And football shouldn't necessarily do it for the fans, I was thinking more along the concussion / injury concerns.  Frankly, I don't care what the hell they do w/ football.

My quote is because for the last 5 or longer years on the football page we have a 3 month discussion (ha ha) on the subject of a qualifying to go to sectional tournament.

The IHSAA will never do it...Why cut teams out of tourney...class sports have leveled the field.   

I think they would seed before they up and reduce the field.  I agree w/ your last comment.  I think the current system is here to stay in both sports, especially basketball.

• Upvote 1