Sign in to follow this  
falconsfbref

New "Trick Play" in NE Indiana

Question

http://wane.com/2017/09/05/totw-columbia-city-eagles-football/

Not sure I did that right....Go to the 1:08 second mark of video.  Saw this on TV, then 2 weeks later we were told by other team that they were going to run same play.  Basically, QB is under center....goes to yell some instructions to left side of line.  Then goes in motion to tell the right side of line something.  Then the ball is snapped to RB and they throw a pass.  To me, this play is illegal.  No different than the "coach, we have the wrong ball" trick play from Case book.  Thoughts?  See it before?

10 answers to this question

That looked fully legal. It looked like something Pop Warner himself would have done.

I believe this play is legal. The difference here is there’s no affirmative act intended to deceive the defense into thinking the snap is not imminent. Also, the “wrong ball” play attempts to involve  nonplayers in the deception. This does not.  Not all deception is illegal examples might be quick snaps, “hard” counts, etc.

As long as the QB does not come set under center, and no other player on the offense is moving, the ball can be snapped while he is moving and "calling out adjustments" I have seen this play run at many different levels even higher than the high school level. Works every time 

I guess if the IHSAA could verify this play.....If the QB is directing instructions to his lineman on one side....then goes in motion to the other side and gives instructions.....isnt that confusing the defense into believing there is a problem and the snap isnt imminent?  Why run this play?  It is so you can "trick the defense" by using things other than multiple shifts, unusual formations or creative plays.  Just for discussion, because this play will happen again....and again....

Case Book Example

9.10.1 SITUATION B:

From a field goal formation, potential kicker A1 yells, "Where's the tee?" A2 replies, "I'll go get it" and goes legally in motion toward his team's sideline. Ball is snapped to A1 who throws a touchdown pass to A2.

RULING: Unsportsmanlike conduct prior to snap. The ball should be declared dead and the foul enforced as a dead-ball foul.

COMMENT: Football has been and always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn't imminent is beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.

Calling an audible or giving linemen instructions is not a problem. The examples of a problem are things like yelling "wrong ball" or "where's the tee?" Communicating with the sideline that you are missing a player or need the play call again would indicate there's a problem. Someone should send this to Robert Faulkens for an official interpretation.

If you want to see an illegal play, I hope we can all agree on.....go to hudl, home page.....then click on Hudl Top 5.  It was posted 3 days ago.  It is 2017 Hudl Top 5---Week 8.  Go to play 2

1 hour ago, falconsfbref said:

If you want to see an illegal play, I hope we can all agree on.....go to hudl, home page.....then click on Hudl Top 5.  It was posted 3 days ago.  It is 2017 Hudl Top 5---Week 8.  Go to play 2

I think there's maybe 2-3 guys on the line of scrimmage for that play. . .lol

24 minutes ago, Canoe Fest Charlie said:

I think there's maybe 2-3 guys on the line of scrimmage for that play. . .lol

It looks like the guys standing are still on the LOS. But it does appear the kicker and at least one of the linemen are communicating with the sideline that there is an issue with the play called. That's what would make this one a foul in my opinion.