Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

D3 College Cancels Remainder of season

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/d-iii-school-forfeits-game-cancels-season-because-of-a-shortage-of-players/

Notice the similarities relative to the current forum discussions on related topics:

* Low numbers

* Injury concerns

* Massive point differential

* First year head coach

Lots of small colleges will be facing similar circumstances.  Note the recent loss of the St Joe College program.  

Read the comments at the bottom of the story.  

Edited by DrivenT

Just for clarity, St. Joseph's College closed, the football program did not shut down.  The closure of the college had absolutely zero to do with the football program.

The story is concerning, but I feel they should really take a long look at 8-man football at the high school level and give them a separate class.  But this is Indiana, where they are very slow to change.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, DrivenT said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/d-iii-school-forfeits-game-cancels-season-because-of-a-shortage-of-players/

Notice the similarities relative to the current forum discussions on related topics:

* Low numbers

* Injury concerns

* First year head coach

Lots of small colleges will be facing similar circumstances.  Note the recent loss of the St Joe College program.  

St. Joseph's College didn't drop football because of low numbers etc. St. Joseph's College completely shut down

• Upvote 2

The late Jack Kemp, NFL quarterback and US Congressman was an Occidental College alum.

Edited by tommy

It's my understanding that in Div III generally football is used as a way to increase enrollment.    

• Upvote 1

Just now, scat said:

It's my understanding that in Div III generally football is used as a way to increase enrollment.    

That is true; even at other levels. I know that about 12 years ago, Butler's new President considered dropping the sport, but the male population at the school would have decreased significantly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

That is true; even at other levels. I know that about 12 years ago, Butler's new President considered dropping the sport, but the male population at the school would have decreased significantly.

I don't understand Butler, I never have and I never will. 

9 hours ago, DrivenT said:

* Low numbers

* Injury concerns

* First year head coach

Do you have any data to back this up or is it just an assumption? The St. Joe thing I think has been covered.

38 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I don't understand Butler, I never have and I never will. 

Do you have any data to back this up or is it just an assumption? The St. Joe thing I think has been covered.

No data.  Its more of a philosophical/strategic redirection that I anticipate coming from college presidents.

There is so much negativity associated with football today that fringe programs like Occidental will likely face heightened scrutiny.  

The bottom line for college presidents?   Is it financially feasible and fiscally responsible to maintain a football program?  Finances certainly spelled the doom of the St Joe program, as well as the rest of the college.  

There will be more coming.  This is a bottoms up process.  High school first, which we are seeing now in many states.  Then college.  And eventually the NFL.  Participation declines are years in the making and require time to take root and make an impact.  They are first evident at the youth level, then up to Jr High.  Then high school.  Its a 20 year process that started 5 to 7 years ago.  

Edited by DrivenT

53 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

:12_v::16_v::21_v:Followed by 

:19_v::18_v::18_v:

The Fall without SJC in town

Gotta imagine it's a weird kind of feeling around that area right now.

22 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

http://footballscoop.com/news/occidental-college-forfeits-season-due-lack-players/

Interesting tidbit from the article.  Lawsuit filed prior to the cancellation of season. 

Also:  How do they wait until August 1st to hire the HC????  

When you are trying to kill your program it makes a lot of sense.  

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

There is so much negativity associated with football today that fringe programs like Occidental will likely face heightened scrutiny.  

The bottom line for college presidents?   Is it financially feasible and fiscally responsible to maintain a football program?  Finances certainly spelled the doom of the St Joe program, as well as the rest of the college.  

If 75 division III football players paying $20,000 tuition = $1,500,000

I don't know profit margin but if you assume 30%= $450,000

Not counting any ticket sales

If the program cost $450,000 or less per year you got a winner.   Obviously these are hypothetical #'s I don't know average tuition or profit margin per student tuition

In general if a division III coach can consistently have 85-100 players on his team and can go 3-7 to 6-4 he will usually be safe except for a few schools.  I'm not saying this is easy at all.